• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword review thread [Newest Reviews - Cubed3 10/10, GC: A, AusGamers: 7/10]

EmCeeGramr said:
Huh, not surprised by Patrick's score but... the text is weird. He's a good reporter, but whenever it comes to criticism on the Bombcast or a Quick Look I've always had trouble figuring out what the heck he's trying to say. He's very vague and tends to argue from gut feelings and sometimes ends up contradicting himself.

Yeah, I'm probably not gonna bother. I bet there will be a talk about this on next bombacast.

So to summarize 'objective' cons of the game....

- fetch/filler quests.
- alchemy/crafting system is pretty useless and halfassed (pointless upgrade system is pretty much staple for zelda, who needs so much hearts or rupies?).

Am I missing anything?

PounchEnvy said:
For shame. It's Adventure Time.
7nuSR.gif
thank ya

Big One

Banned
Rehynn said:
Dude, I see you're going through hard times. Keep it together, we're here to help.
I'm just conflicted. There are only two types of reviews; Well-written, and not well-written. Everyone of these reviews is the later. I just want a solid, bare-bones review

AniHawk

Rehynn said:
Game's good, 96.4% of us are going to love it, it's going to sell millions, reviews are only for fun.

but if the game doesn't get good enough reviews, it might not sell enough and nintendo won't make anymore. that's why i'm writing this petition to adam sessler to change the egm score before it's too late.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Did amir0x play the game? Did he like it?

dc89

Hang on. He didn't use Motion+?

I thought the game needed Motion+. I am confused but I'll admit I've not followed all the news closely over the past few months.

Truth101

Banned
Cygnus X-1 said:
It seems rather that Motion Plus precision causes an increase in the frustration in the gameplay. Which is pretty obvious: more precise is less easy.

Point is that Galaxy 1 and 2 were incredibly well reviews even because the level of precision needed was not that great and thus it was more comfortable. It makes sense to me, even if a Zelda reviewed like this.....is really sad.

Let's hope that the series now will be given to another team. It's really time for a change.

There series did change with SS, you can dislike M+ all you want but it did change.

Not just in its controls but the design itself. I cannot wait for the next Zelda to perfect the design.

TheChaos

chickdigger802 said:
Yeah, I'm probably not gonna bother. I bet there will be a talk about this on next bombacast.

- fetch/filler quests.
- alchemy/crafting system is pretty useless and halfassed (pointless upgrade system is pretty much staple for zelda, who needs so much hearts or rupies?).

Am I missing anything?

Many reviews complain about the Silent Realm.

Rehynn

Big One said:
I'm just conflicted. There are only two types of reviews; Well-written, and not well-written. Everyone of these reviews is the later. I just want a solid, bare-bones review

Even if that were the case, it wouldn't really matter.

Gvaz

Banned
AniHawk said:
but if the game doesn't get good enough reviews, it might not sell enough and nintendo won't make anymore. that's why i'm writing this petition to adam sessler to change the egm score before it's too late.
*implying a zelda game that had a shitty turd center and got 5/10 across the board wouldn't sell millions*

oh boy

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
chickdigger802 said:

- fetch/filler quests.

Am I missing anything?

Linearity. Whether you prefer that or not will affect your enjoyment.

Feep

Banned
The GB review went into more spoiler territory than I was willing to. He mentions one of my favorite mechanics, the
localized timeshift stones
, which I feel were super exciting to discover on my own.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Cygnus X-1 said:
It seems rather that Motion Plus precision causes an increase in the frustration in the gameplay. Which is pretty obvious: more precise is less easy.
That's the same issue that plagues PES on Wii. It's too precise to overcome years of automation habits. The game is so much better for it, but there's a resit to change.

Now you guy's know the feeling we MMA fans got watching Fedor tap... The impenetrable record and history, broken.

Anyway, I'll enjoy the game but there will no doubt be tons for me to rant about. I hate filler myself.

Socreges

Banned
I hope everyone is actually reading the reviews. Even those who were disappointed in part are still saying it's an "incredible" game. Just sounds like there are tedious fetch quests and the like that naturally hurt the overall result. But that doesn't mean that this won't still be an excellent experience.

It sucks to hear that Nintendo still thinks these tedious, drawn-out fetch quests are necessary. Cut the game's length in half for all I care if it means we don't have to put up with them.

EGM's review doesn't really seem to jive with the rest, so I feel comfortable completely disregarding it.

scitek said:
Patrick Klepek wrote it, and in the beginning of the review he says Twilight Princess bored him, so take from that what you will.
Not sure how this is relevant? I was just commenting on how the last two sentences were poorly written and difficult to understand.

Goreomedy said:
The moment I read your first post, I knew the desperate would cling to it as a truth.
His complain is pretty non-true though, even in the demo build controls are top notch beside re-centering which is fixed in the final build.

Big One

Banned
Rehynn said:
Even if that were the case, it wouldn't really matter.
It doesn't matter to me, it matters to the structure of the fanbase.

Skyward Sword will most likely be the best 3D Zelda but due to reviews, fans are going to jump on a bandwagon they don't need to jump on. This worries me the most which is why I hate pointless criticisms

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I am going to bash my head into a mirror reading some of these dumbass comments. No, a review is not a troll review for giving a game a fucking 4/5, even if it's a zelda game. The people complaining about reviewers complaining about controls or whatever else in the review don't have the game. God damn.

these threads are pointless - it's pretty clear that most people in them have made up their mind what the game is/isn't before even playing it which is why IGN are suddenly seen as good barometers of a games worth (seems only 5 minutes ago they were worthless) and everyone who gave less are clearly stupid idiots.

Absolute complete and utter waste of time and energy - reviews for the GAF crowd are about reenforcing their own preferences and little else. If it wasn't just that they'd simply point out the obvious : "Oh, i wonder which is right seeing as i've NOT PLAYED THE F**KING THING YET?"

Kazerei

Banned
EGM said:
Twilight Princess’ motion controls worked because the game was more forgiving of your movements; simple flicks of your wrist would provide the desired results. Now, due to the enemy design revolving around the motion-control gimmick and being forced to use the MotionPlus—which follows you too well—you’re often pulled out of the immersion, because you’re constantly reminded that you are holding a controller whenever the controller doesn’t do what you want.
Zelda cycle complete.

Twilight Princess's motion controls were terrible and obviously tacked on. And now it's great? Oh man :\

hyduK

Banned
chickdigger802 said:
Wait a B+ is 83 on metacritic?

Has someone cracked their formula yet?
Letter grades are just fucked. A B+ in school (they stop using letter grades in like grade 6 here) is a 77-79.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Also guys, let's not forget about the 10 EDGE gave this game.
PounchEnvy said:
Come on GAF. Don't be trolled by an obvious joke tweet.
I regret it a lot, so forgive me. Although I still don't understand why no-one decided to actually READ THE WHOLE POST. It was a joke, and a dumb one at that. I admit.

ivysaur12

Banned
TheChaos said:
Many reviews complain about the Silent Realm.

Eh, there actually hasn't been that much mention of the Silent Realm. Maybe one negative note, but most passed over it.

Seems that fundamental choices in game design that artificially lengthen the game through fetch quests is the biggest offender.

guek

Banned
My 100% guaranteed to happen, FO SHO shoe in of the week (that's a big shoe) prediction:

Some people will view SS as the best zelda and possibly the best game ever crafted

Some will think it's the series low point

These two groups of people will fight incessantly on message boards until the end of time

Dark Schala said:
Exactly. And reading the review texts for that score in particular is a good way of gauging how the reviewer approached the game. They may not approach the game the same way you would.

I mean... you all spend all that time writing the text for... something, right?

I like to think I do! As I pointed out in my review for GI, there are a few elements in the game that I knew would be sticking points for some people, so I'm not super-shocked that slightly lower scores are popping up. Those just didn't affect my experience much. As a reader, hopefully you can look at that and weigh whether or not these seem like problems that would negatively impact your experience.

Top Bottom