• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slain - A homage to gory hack-&-slash games of the 80's & 90's (Out now on PS4)

ZFDHf7h.jpg

Site | Kickstarter | TIGSource Devlog

February 2015 gameplay trailer | Teaser teaser

Recent GIFs:

0Wea2Zz.jpg
RHuI9cj.jpg

Players control Bathoryn, a hero in a Gothic world, seeking to liberate seven great towers.

Bathoryn must battle his way through a doomed land packed with gruesome pixel art foes before ascending (or sometimes descending) each tower, defeating puzzles, traps and monsters alike. At the heart of each keep, he must confront a mighty overlord. Defeat it and Bathoryn’s quest continues. Fail, and you’ll die gruesomely - mauled by werewolves, disintegrated by floating monstrosities, squashed by great weights or torn apart by hidden blades. And you will fail...

Reminiscent of classics like Altered Beast, Shadow of The Beast, and Ghosts 'n Goblins, the difficulty of the combat and platforming can best be described as... brutal. Save points help but they're rare. So it's down to you and your ability with a sword.

Platforms
PC, Mac, Linux: January 27, 2016
PS4/PS Vita/Xbox One/Wii U: approx. 2016

KNvb7xN.jpg

8NVkaFE.jpg

FFiaRKO.jpg

The game is split up into seven areas, each of which has two distinct and very different sections. The first (horizontal) section is your progression towards the tower and has larger focus on your combat skills, with many interesting and satisfying ways to die... If you complete this part and defeat that section's mini-boss, then you can begin to ascend the Tower. These Towers have a larger emphasis on platforming and timing with puzzles and a whole range of wonderfully creative (and deadly) traps. If you reach the the top of tower, your reward is to meet the area's overlord....

Wow, this looks amazing. Pretty small goal too.
I think they said they were eighteen months into development? I really appreciate groups that present once they've already laid the foundations so well.

Edit: Might be worth mentioning the Xbox One port in its title? Or make that fact more prominent?

I think it'd help grabbing some of dem console dollars. I mean, I'm not doing anything with my key.

Wow, this looks amazing. Pretty small goal too.
Devs explain the goal and state of development here:
The Kickstarter funding will cover the team spending the next 3 months finishing the PC version, porting the console versions (if the interest is there) and helping pay for the game's music - which will comprise of orchestra and choir.
The risks relating to Slain! are small to non-existent. The project is already eighteen months into development and we estimate there are only three months left... so barring the death of one of the team members (erk!), the project will be shipping on PC in May 2015. Even with the untimely demise of a team member we will still release, hoping for a Tupac & Kurt Cobain-style postmortem sales spikes.

emag

From the gameplay trailer, it goes a bit overboard on the lighting effects, doesn't it? I'm not fond of making games difficult by making the graphics hard to read. Likewise, attacks seem to lack the weight of something like Classicvania and movement feels like a PC platformer, overly smooth and without momentum. :(

Hopefully the final product will be great, though.

Backed the moment i read in their newsletter that the ks is up. This absolutely needs to happen.

Pejo

On topic: This really looks fantastic. I'll need to read up on the KS and back it later at home.

Off topic: How are you doing animated .jpg's?

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
You got your Weaponlord on my Blackthorne! You got your Blackthorne in my Weaponlord!

Looks good to me.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Are boxed copies no longer a thing for KS's these days? Surprised not to see it as an option on there.

Still I'm in for at least a digital copy next payday. Thanks for the thread!

Oh, so it's not very clear, but it seems like Slain is also coming to Xbox One in September, according to the higher tiers

And the devs also want to bring the game to PS Vita

Backed @ $10. Would consider offering more if the incentives were actually worthwhile or there was a guaranteed PlayStation release.

CHC

Came in rolling my eyes at the "throwback" idea....

But THAT ART - holy moley, it's really amazing. This looks fucking great.

Any word on PS4?
PC, Mac, Linux is a given. Xbox One is a given. And for PS4/Vita:
We also would also like to assess the interest in following the PC version up with a PS4/Vita version. Slain! on Xbox One is already going to be happening. So let us know if you would like to see this on your PS4 or Vita?

Stainless

"The Vita version is something that we are super super keen on, so we are really hoping the the funding reaches a point where we can make that happen."

"Feedback is key to making this game the best it can possibly be and we feel feedback from an active and engaged Kickstarter community is the best there is. We would also like to assess the interest in following the PC version up with a PS4/Vita version. Slain! on Xbox One is already going to be happening. So let us know if you would like to see this on your PS4 or Vita?"

Good stuff, the game looks great. I'll drop $10 for pc version but gonna let them know I would also love it on ps4.

Edit- beaten, maybe that should be added to the op

Moofers

Dude that looks killer. I want that on PS4/Vita. I guess I could contribute to the KS and let them know I'm doing so with hopes for PS versions.

Top Bottom