• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sledgehammer’s Call of Duty is “Next-Gen First”

Meia

I'm confused.

Next-gen first. This doesn't mean next-gen ONLY though, does it? So it's as I figured, their CoD will be another cross-gen one, with Treyarch doing a next-gen only game in 2015. Whee.

Dysun

Didn't Activision say that CoD Ghosts would have a brand new or heavily upgraded engine?

DrKotick.jpg

"New Engine"

Bsigg12

I'm confused.

Next-gen first. This doesn't mean next-gen ONLY though, does it? So it's as I figured, their CoD will be another cross-gen one, with Treyarch doing a next-gen only game in 2015. Whee.

I doubt even Treyarch's game will be nextgen only.

I'm confused.

I think CoD will be cross-gen until 2016 or later.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm confused.

If even then.

geordiemp

to go with the dedicated servers.

oh wait, more bull.

Until they actually deliver on their current promises, why should I believe future ones.

If they want people to move to next-gen system, maybe they should start making exclusives for them...

I don't think that Activision or any other third party making cross gen games really cares how long it takes them to move over. They're charging $60 no matter the platform, so they're getting their money either way.

emb

If they want people to move to next-gen system, maybe they should start making exclusives for them...
I agree with that principal in general. But remember, it isn't any third party's business to sell systems. All they need to do is sell games. If some weird reality happens where the player base keeps buying PS360 games and for the most part never move to the new systems, Activision et al wouldn't be that damaged.

I have a feeling they are going to use a heavily modified id Tech 3 engine for a good long time as long as people buy the game.

Bsigg12

How long is this cross-gen thing going to last then? 2016 already puts it at 3 FULL years here...

Moving from a massive user base in the PS3 and 360 to a tiny amount with the PS4 and Xbox One makes going next gen only a less profitable endeavor for Activision. I don't think they go next gen only until we have 30 million+ users between the Xbox One and PS4.

stef t97

Make a "base" on either end of the map and a central area. There.

Horrid idea, return to the better cod4 maps. Spawns opposite each other, two lanes and mid. Crash, Strike, Crossfire and Backlot were the best maps in that game. CoD4 was played competitively on PC for so long for a reason.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I like the bombastic campaigns of all CoDs. Good fun, albeit extremely dumb. So can't wait for another go round with one of those, but I'll purchase only if I get multiplayer bots. Black Ops 2 and Ghosts didn't disappoint me. Ball's in your camp Sledgehammer.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
+1 famousmortimer

He leaked/said the same some months ago on his podcast. IIRC, he mentioned that the underlying tech is new.

Blackage

It's gonna be cross-gen, then?

Let it go, guys. C'mon.

Cross Gen happens every generation. :p It may seem a little more obvious at the moment since most major game series are happening on all consoles, but it's not exactly new to this generation. EA always released sports games on previous gen consoles, a lot of companies usually had stripped down versions of popular games on older systems.

Deadbeat

Banned
“We give each of our studios a lot of independence,”

OK Activision. I believe you.
Treyarch has been going in their own direction.
CoDfall.
I wouldn't be surprised if cod adds traversal in the next 2 years. Treyarch, being the one leading the charge for CoD, will probably be the one to adf them
I see Treyarch doing mechs and traversal. I mean they tried RTS gameplay in blops 2.

Eggbok

Wish List:
- Let Sledgehammer use a REAL new engine.
- Give PS3/360/WiiU 2014 CoD to a different studio.
- No dogs.
- No fish.
- Real dedicated servers.

Wish List:
- Let Sledgehammer use a REAL new engine.
- Give PS3/360/WiiU 2014 CoD to a different studio.
- No dogs.
- No fish.
- Real dedicated servers.

Good luck with those two. They've been using the same engine (albeit modified) since COD1 and they refused to have dedicated servers since COD4 (2007).

dorkimoe

complete multiplayer redo or its still the same

spawn
sprint
shoot
die
repeat

i really used to enjoy the singleplayer and multiplayer, but its so stale afterawhile. But i will be interested in seeing what they can do

Horp

I hope it will look as awesomly next gen as TITANFALL.
Seriously though, i dont believe this for one sec. They will have one more embarrasing tech demo at E3 that has tons of glaring technical flaws and brag about 6 year old features thats standard in fpses since 2010 and call it 'new'. If the voice talking about the features is deep enough, and the devs in the interviews look excited enough 90% of the target audience will buy it.

fernoca

There is some truth to that. For example, Skylanders and Guitar Hero DS were the results of those studios working on it, along whatever else they were working on; and then pitching it to the higher-ups. Both ideas were considered and risky yet they went for it, Kotick liked them and he gave more budget and resources so that they made the best they could.

For Guitar Hero DS they needed Nintendo's help too; so they pitched it to them too...which resulted in Nintendo sending engineers to help development and later a Nintendo DS with the GH logo.

BBboy20

I like the bombastic campaigns of all CoDs. Good fun, albeit extremely dumb.
Call of Duty used to be better then this.

"Dumb fun"...*sigh* oh 2003, how I miss ye.

It is supposedly a pretty big jump over ghosts graphically.
Graphics? Does any game dev know what a smooth MP experience used to be like anymore? *looks at the empty Jack Daniel's bottle* I probably should sleep.

But they are still making past gen versions for PS3/360 right?

Are they making such visual improvments that it'll run like shit on older platforms like BF4 does, or are they tarting the same old engine up slightly as they do every year?

Sounds like hot air to me at the moment.

Vizzeh

Banned
Not sure I believe the hype, as they said I will believe it when I see it. They now have 3 Development studios making COD? if so, thats ridiculous, 2 has been completely over saturating the market, allowing the series to get boring and stale.

I thought 1 of the studios was making a futuristic shooter.

BlackJet

I don't care how next gen it is, just give me a decent campaign for once. When your multiplayer mode is essentially going to be the same thing every game, I'll need something else to keep me coming back. MW2 and WaW had the most exciting campaigns of the franchise and helped to separate it from others like Battlefield.

Also, why hasn't there been a CoD that takes place during the Korean War?

CHC

Not gonna be a new engine. Higher res textures and more misplaced sunbeams over the same old shitty lighting and animations. Get ready for it

Nokterian

Running on that old quake 3 engine. Not believing it for now since there not going to invest to make a new engine from the ground up.

Top Bottom