• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sledgehammer Games making the next Call of Duty (2014)?

sledgehammer-games-cod-2014.png

As many of you may by now Call of Duty is a yearly title made in alternatively by Activision owned studios Infinity Ward and Treyarch. Last year’s Call of Duty titled Call of Duty: Ghosts was developed by Infinity Ward so many would presume that it would be Treyarch’s turn next.

This is conflicted by reports coming in from Sledgehammer Games’ website who are looking to fill 10 or so temporary positions to work “on the next Call of Duty game”. Sledgehammer Games is also an Activision owned studio founded in 2009 and helped Infinity Ward in the development of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 alongside Beachhead Studio.

Now if this rumor is indeed true and Sledgehammer Games are indeed working on Call of Duty 2014 then it’ll mean that Call of Duty is now shifting to a 3 year developmental cycle. Sledgehammer Games has not worked on a project after finishing Modern Warfare 3 in 2011.
Via Gearnuke

Definitely looks like they're developing their own, as evidence by a tonal shift in May last year.

kuYuri

Niro and myself have been back and forth on this a bit before, I believed CoD was going on a 3 year cycle, while Niro believed we could potentially be looking at two CoD games in a year, but I just don't see that happening when Activision loves to tout their season of DLC.

There isn't much incentive to buy a season pass if the next CoD is coming in 4-6 months after the last one.

Maybe for 2015. Activision needs a good COD game this year from treyarch to make up for the dud that was infinity ward's last call of duty.

That's a sentence I never thought I'd type out.

dzelly

Don't they work on the multiplayer for CoD? Wouldn't this temp job posting probably be related to that? Punt me if wrong.

I thought that we already knew this a while back? Maybe there was no confirmation though.

I hope they make it as good as Dead Space 1 was (yes, unrelated series, but a lot of the same personnel on Sledges team).

I hope they are making Modern Warfare 4. I know the cool thing now is to hate on IW's CoD games and praise Treyarch, but I wasn't a big fan of Black Ops 1 or 2. I've been playing quite a bit of Ghosts and I put lots of time with MW3. My biggest problem with Ghosts is too many big maps, hopefully MW4 is more close quarters stuff.

Alienous

Calling Modern Warfare 4 from Sledgehammer for last-gen and the next Treyarch title, the latter being a current-gen exclusive, for 2014.

Calling Modern Warfare 4 from Sledgehammer for last-gen and the next Treyarch title, the latter being a current-gen exclusive, for 2014.

This is possible. Or Sledgehammer is simply involved with COD games in general.

When these descriptions say "next game" they don't always mean the one following the one that is out now.

kuYuri

If they want to have a separate studio make a last-gen port, Raven and Neversoft are around for that. Treyarch is big enough to have made 4 different versions of Black Ops 2, I think Sledgehammer has been groomed to be a studio to make a large standalone Call of Duty title.

Don't they contribute to every CoD? Their job listings have always contained that line about the "next Call of Duty" since they put them up, years ago.

I hope Sledgehammer one day gets to go back to their original CoD project before they had to fly in and save MW3 (or at least make it a shipable game).

dzelly

I'm just wondering to what capacity they'll be involved. They're on a damn hiring spree, so it looks like they might be taking on more of a prominent role. Maybe Treyarch is working on a refresh/reboot and is taking the extra year to make something truly new?

What is Treyarch up to then? Are they just being given more time on Call of Duty: 2015 Edition?

I think one of the studios are working on the next big push. The one that gets a new engine and enough time to reinvent the franchise.

Activision needs to have CoD as a emergency solution if Destiny flops and doesn't become the next big mainstream thing.

iMax

What is Treyarch up to then? Are they just being given more time on Call of Duty: 2015 Edition?

Well, I'd love to think maybe Activision decided to take Treyarch out of rotation this cycle to make something different, you know maybe Crash Bandicoot or something. But then I remembered this is Activision Call of Duty, Inc. we're talking about.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I think one of the studios are working on the next big push. The one that gets a new engine and enough time to reinvent the franchise.

Activision needs to have CoD as a emergency solution if Destiny flops and doesn't become the next big mainstream thing.
It will never be as big as COD it won't sell to the casual as much.

Hip Hop

I really enjoyed Modern Warfare 3, so I hope for something like that.

But I will also be disappointed if Treyarch didn't end up making it this year.

djshauny

Banned
I wont be buying any cod game where Sledgehammer or Infinity ward are involved.

I hope its Treyarch game this year. They are the better developers in my opinion.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Niro and myself have been back and forth on this a bit before, I believed CoD was going on a 3 year cycle, while Niro believed we could potentially be looking at two CoD games in a year, but I just don't see that happening when Activision loves to tout their season of DLC.

There isn't much incentive to buy a season pass if the next CoD is coming in 4-6 months after the last one.

Yeah at this point I think either they're on three year cycles or Treyarch isn't making Call of Duty.

I'm been searching Treyarch's postings/twitter for a while and can't find them explicitly mention they're on Call of Duty, but I also can't find any evidence that they're not.

MW3 was awful. Only one where the maps completely ruined my enjoyment of the games. I'm not gonna hate on IW though because I'm enjoying Ghosts.

Treyarch might be the best though. Black Ops 1 is my personal favorite of the entire series.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
If Treyarch are being giving a longer time to produce a proper next gen version of Call Of Duty which engine would they be using ? Would it be that internal engine that Activision were showing off a while ago ? I guess that would make the most sense.

Doctor Ninja

Sphincter Speaker
Was Ghosts that bad? I didn't touch the series since Black Ops (the first one), I thought it was okay but not as good as 4 and MW2.

merrick97

Banned
Maybe for 2015. Activision needs a good COD game this year from treyarch to make up for the dud that was infinity ward's last call of duty.

That's a sentence I never thought I'd type out.

Black Ops 2 was pretty awesome if you ask me.

They did several things that enhanced the experience.

AHA-Lambda

Was Ghosts that bad? I didn't touch the series since Black Ops (the first one), I thought it was okay but not as good as 4 and MW2.

Yep, probably the worst post MW1 CoD there is.

Yeah at this point I think either they're on three year cycles or Treyarch isn't making Call of Duty.

I'm been searching Treyarch's postings/twitter for a while and can't find them explicitly mention they're on Call of Duty, but I also can't find any evidence that they're not.

Huh, I'd love to see them do something new but at the same time it looks like Treyarch are the only CoD devs that actually give a shit anymore.

I mentioned this on podcast a while back. They are going to a three studio rotation to give each team an extra year to make sure the games don't stagnate too much.

I think it's a pretty smart move. CoD won't be the king forever but this is a decent step to last a bit longer.

Edit: I've also heard their engine is a massive upgrade over current gen/Ghosts.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I mentioned this on podcast a while back. They are going to a three studio rotation to give each team an extra year to make sure the games don't stagnate too much.

I think it's a pretty smart move. CoD won't be the king forever but this is a decent step to last a bit longer.

Edit: I've also heard their engine is a massive upgrade over current gen/Ghosts.

For the Sledgehammer game or the Treyarch game?

It's about time.

Hopefully Glen Schofield can work some of his Dead Space magic on whatever this ends up being. I'm hoping for third person Call of Duty in space/the far future.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Both. But starting with the sledgehammer game. With a three year dev time I believe the idea is to let each craft an engine more to their needs.

Out of curiosity, why aren't they all sharing the same iterative engine build for what is honestly a pretty similar game functionally year by year?

Or are they changing it up notably more between the various entries?

It's about time.

Hopefully Glen Schofield can work some of his Dead Space magic on whatever this ends up being. I'm hoping for third person Call of Duty in space/the far future.
If we go with what Mortimer is saying, I'm kind of assuming this is Modern Warfare 4 and then Treyarch will have Black Ops 3 and then Infinity Ward will have Ghosts 2.

Dysun

Hopefully their yearly output will be better than faux Infinity Ward.

Three years in between releases should help for Treyarch as well

Top Bottom