• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

hittman

Banned
A lot of positivity in this thread...ahhh can't wait till Steam unlocks the game for my country (no, not about to dabble in VPN shenanigans just to play games)

I'll echo the opinions about how this game would have been that much more awesome if it had a full Cantonese audio track. With subtitles in broken English!

it's obviously for marketing reasons but man that would be awesome to have. especially in a game like stalker

trinest

isn't there a world density setting?

ps damn you people. australia still another 10 hours til release... tack on 2-3 for hd pack download

If you ordered from Green Man you would of got a key, preloaded it and it would be unlocked for some reason.

Just played the first few missions. Really awesome so far.
EDIT: Ninja Tune and Warp Records have their own radio stations..........best game ever.
Double EDIT: And then they played Dilla....

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
isn't there a world density setting?

ps damn you people. australia still another 10 hours til release... tack on 2-3 for hd pack download

There is, and I have it maxed, so there's a lot of pedestrians and stuff. But the roads themselves are pretty bare.

And yeah, not sure how the AU thing is working. I pre-ordered my key from GMG, am in Melbourne, and had it unlock this morning.

Arcteryx

Biggest gripes so far are the camera, driving, and shooting. Otherwise it's a pretty fun game. Haven't touched the story much, but it seems interesting so far.

PS3 performance is pretty good, a couple of slowdowns but nothing major.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Driving is perfectly fine for me. The camera seems to take a bit of getting used to.

I'm still head over heels in love with the fact that we've got Warp and Ninja Tune radio stations. I'm sorry fans of Vice City and San Andreas, but Sleeping Dogs has the best soundtrack selection possible. It wins by default.

AND a classical channel station!

Driving is definitely not wonderful after spending some more time with it (not really up to par with SR3, and certainly not even in the same stratosphere as GTAIV).

It's easily overlooked, though.

I'm also getting the minor stuttering, though I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the camera shake effect bugging out and not with performance. I get the same thing while sprinting.

Driving is definitely not wonderful after spending some more time with it (not really up to par with SR3, and certainly not even in the same stratosphere as GTAIV).

It's easily overlooked, though.

I'm also getting the minor stuttering, though I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the camera shake effect bugging out and not with performance. I get the same thing while sprinting.

Yeah, the more I drive the more I don't like it. People comparing it to Saints Row are doing Saints Row a disservice. This is far worse. The upside is that it is easy to overlook. The melee is so much fun, but I need to find some of the combat upgrades.

Salsa

Im having no issues with the driving. Motorcycles are a bit stiff but you can drift much better if you're standing on it (as if to do an action hijack). Weird but it works.

I lulzed at
Emma Stone's character
struggling to find someone else who spoke English considering every cutscene in the game has demonstrated otherwise

I like the driving, its nothing like GTAIV but I don't feel like its trying to be either. I'm having much more fun driving fast here than in GTAIV, works for this game.

Jimrpg

I'd say my only complaint with the game so far is the empty road. I've had a few moments where turning around I can see only two cars active on the road. Makes the streets look barren as hell.

some people have said that there aren't enough pedestrian's in SD's HK - I have to say having been to HK many times and living there until I was 8 there are many spots in hong kong that don't have any pedestrians/cars etc - not every area in IRL is jam packed with people like the regular tourist spots like Mong Kok, Kowloon, Nathan Rd, Causeway Bay.

Also I would hazard a guess that they don't want you to mow down people like carmageddon and they tuned the amount of traffic down so it was more playable.

*and also the obligatory higher requirements needed for more traffic/peds excuse...

Randy

When using a VPN and staying in offline mode on Steam, do Steam achievements still pop up in-game? It's really itching atm.

Tiktaalik

The dialogue from the two women who are always outside your dingy apartment is hilarious.

Picked this up at lunch today and I'm really digging it. Played through two missions and the first police case. I've tried to do some more of the police stuff, but the swarms of gangs are tough. I think I gotta level up my skills and health some I guess and get better at this game in general.

syoaran

So glad Sound Shapes comes out today, because the wait till Friday is frustrating. Glad there are so many good first impressions out there!

Tiktaalik

My main gripe at the moment is that the subtitles text, and the text in general is too small. I wish I could make it larger (playing on xbox).

hittman

Banned
There is, and I have it maxed, so there's a lot of pedestrians and stuff. But the roads themselves are pretty bare.

And yeah, not sure how the AU thing is working. I pre-ordered my key from GMG, am in Melbourne, and had it unlock this morning.

i got it through steam a couple days ago. my preload has finished but it says "suspended"
i assume this means its waiting for the region to unlock

HKnightz

Is your apartment always your 'home'? Do you perhaps move into a nicer one?

just like gta series, you have "homes" in the different parts of the city. I currently have two of them, and i'm pretty sure there will be at least one or two more :)

HKnightz

about 5 hours in and while it won't receive an oscar, the story is not too bad. The combat is definitely the highlight of the game though.

Jimrpg

should I be updating my graphics drivers on my retina macbook? running windows 7 at the moment - when I went to the GeForce drivers page it only had Verde 304.79 - BETA download available? Its a Geforce GT650m

speedpop

about 5 hours in and while it won't receive an oscar, the story is not too bad. The combat is definitely the highlight of the game though.

For guys like me who grew up watching HK films it's great to finally have an open world game set in Hong Kong. The story is a whole mixmash of films and shows from that area, but there is definite homage to the Young & Dangerous series as well as Infernal Affairs. The great voice acting cetainly helps too.

Was getting my arse kicked a little at the start with the combat, but now that I'm unlocking things and understanding the nuances involved it's quite good.

Salsa

So I gather that to get more favors to show up you need to advance the story? almost 5 hours of dicking around with the (really limited, but knew beforehand) extra stuff. Guess i'll start doing the missions.

speedpop

The only thing missing is a bit of Teresa Teng, though I haven't kept it on the Canto and Mandarin channels yet.

Fjordson

The soundtrack is impressive. Damn. I'm always so disappointed by non-GTA games in this department, but Sleeping Dogs is delivering. Lots of non-obvious choices that fit well with the game.

Sillverrr

Well, I've got the PC version in my hands, but I can't play it until Friday because it's arbitrarily locked until Friday on Steam. I'd have more patience if there were differences from the American version, i.e. British English spellings, but nope.

I stand somewhat corrected on the subtitles front by the post below, lol.

I'm getting a bit tired of the American city + parody formula of GTA, and SR: 3rd was *too* zany for me, so I'm looking forward to this game for the Hong Kong setting and a decent storyline - even if the gameplay itself can't be called original.

B-Dex

Well, I've got the PC version in my hands, but I can't play it until Friday because it's arbitrarily locked until Friday on Steam. I'd have more patience if there were differences from the American version, i.e. British English spellings, but nope.

What's funny is, the game was made by UFG in Vancouver, but the subtitles use american spelling... and the in-game screens and txt on computers etc... uses british/canadian spelling. (since HK would use british english anyways)

bitoriginal

Subtitles could definitely do with being bigger on the console versions, definitely not big enough when you're sitting like 4-5 feet away from the TV.

DrBo42

Clocked a few hours so far, quite impressed. Pretty good overall. Combat gets so much better when you unlock more moves/combos.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The constant cutting in with the random cantonese phrase is pretty goddamn disconcerting, especially seeing that I know cantonese, and it's mostly repeating the english phrase before it.

lexi

Banned
Some people were saying the gunplay sucks, wtf? I'm loving the gunplay!
Especially the slowmo shooting out of cars stuff, extremely awesome!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Couple of things that impressed me.

Driving around, the reflections on your car? Real time. All those neon lights reflecting on the roof of your car are accurate to the scenery around you, not a pre baked cubemap like most games use.

Secondly, seeing a bag snatcher, and the game not actually registering it as a 'mission' or anything. Despite this I chased the guy down, tackled him, picked up the handbag, and ran back to the woman who had it stolen. She recognises your action and you get a reward.

Loving little touches like this. Game fucking owns.

Finished it.

What RDR did with the GTA formula to the western film genre, this game does to the Hong Kong action film.

Incredibly satisfying experience.

Choc

Banned
Romance spoilers but also a question

had the first date with all the girls (ping, amanda, tiffany). How do you get more dates, they don't appear in my phone

raz3r

Neo Member
I don't know what to do. I'd like to play this game righw now but I don't want to put Steam in offline mode till 17th. What happens if I activate the game through VPN right now and then go online as usual? Will the game be locked again? Or is there something worse?

Game just oozes cool

iPfa19Fjbr6Z0.jpg

iepMrGxwt00Fg.jpg

The TOD settings are fucking impeccable

Top Bottom