• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs Pax (Cam) Vid

dreamfall

Very, very impressed! Everything looks top notch- the city design is beautifully neon! I like the Arkham inspired combat, and some of those environmental finishers reminded me of a bloodier Yakuza-esque brawler. Hell, even that chase sequence with all the sliding!

I am excited. I think the hype for this game shall really pick up with more footage!

GeoramA

It looks amazing for an open-world game. Combat looks fun, like Arkham but way more violent.

Please tell me it's still set for August.

It looks amazing for an open-world game. Combat looks fun, like Arkham but way more violent.

Please tell me it's still set for August.

Nodding.gif

My impressions from another thread;
``I am not sure this is the right thread for it (no one is commenting about this on the PAX thread) - this was playable at PAX. The demo had no driving, and felt like a mix between GTA and Yakuza (free world-y like GTA, but more fistfight oriented like Yakuza, plus the fact that it takes place in Asia obviously).

It's really pretty. The fighting system in the demo was fairly simple, but pretty fun.
On the other hand, the character controls very strangely, especially when you're walking. Like if there was a massive amount of input lag, though I think in this case it's intentional (now that i think about it i should have tried to eyeball the input lag) - more trying to represent natural inertia.

Performance was kinda poor, though. Framerate didn't feel super steady. But i am very curious, the `world' seemed interesting, and i am always up for a good brawler with good story.''

This is exactly what I wanted to hear :

As I played through the demo I was given a free roaming opportunity. Before I entered the next mission start I was able to explore the world around me. One of the things you can do in Sleeping Dogs is buy food from vendors, Square Enix took the idea from RPG games where food equals health and they translated that into this game as well. Roaming the streets of Hong Kong can easily take up hours of your time. There are endless possibilities in these streets including side quests, street races, and of course just plain old fun. This game is not one to simply rush through. Even without the races and the side missions the story alone will take you approximately twenty-five hours to complete.

http://www.vgrevolution.com/2012/04/pax-east-2012-sleeping-dogs-hands-on-preview/

besides the minor glitch of the climb up the wall during the chase... it does look pretty good.

Being able to move around really fast after grabbing someone is a nice change.

Jimrpg

cover looks great but i don't know if it will fly off the shelves...

secondly i love the game want to get it... but the combat doesn't make any sense... they all just stand around and wait their turn... it really needs to be like demons souls where they all clobber you to death and you need to be the one that separates them into one on one duels... other than that i can't wait to drive around hong kong

This is nitpicky but I hope those health indicators at the bottom of every enemy's feet can be turned off in the options menu.

Otherwise I'm digging this.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
That looked really promising. I love the atmosphere.

Funnily enough, this wasn't on my radar at all until I saw the Tyler Stout boxart. Now I'm really looking forward to it.

Still wary, there has to be a reason why Activision abandoned it.

And there's a reason why SE picked it up.

Activision said it wasn't gonna be good enough by the time hit it's original release date and it wouldn't generate the sales they were originally expecting. They dumped it. Square Enix decided to pick it up because they felt that given extra time to polish the game, they'd have a hit on their hands, so they continued funding development and allowed UF to polish Sleeping Dogs as well re-branding it. One of the producers stated the game had a 'sticky' feel, that it was hard to put down, which led to them wanting to publish it. Looks the extra time was for the better. Game's looking good. I'm excited.

Activision dumped it, in part, because they wanted it to be a GTA killer and they didn't think it was. Not that it was a bad game, but they had the bar really, really high and it wasn't up to the task. There are very few if any "GTA killers" out there; only the Saints Row franchise, I guess now.

Square Enix likely assumed they could turn a profit on it and there was something that caught their eye, so they decided to pick it up.

Barakov

Gold Member
Looks pretty nice. I haven't been following this too closely so the combat surprised me in a good way. Will definitely keep an eye on it.

cackhyena

Janky here and there, but that atmosphere is pretty damn nice. Gave me the same kinda vibe Prey 2 did with just making the surroundings work really well. Def on my radar now.

secondly i love the game want to get it... but the combat doesn't make any sense... they all just stand around and wait their turn... it really needs to be like demons souls where they all clobber you to death and you need to be the one that separates them into one on one duels... other than that i can't wait to drive around hong kong

Kinda sounds like what bad guys do in a martial arts movie.

was going to say the same thing about combat. They literally come at you one at a time. Once one guy gets knocked out, the next guy gets aggressive. They need to all attack at the same time or work as a team. This looked very boring in the fights.

burgerdog

Oh, wow. I had yet to see the game after it resurfaced and it's looking good. It's been a while since gta4 so this could be a nice distraction.

Dacon

Banned
Animation looked kind of mediocre.

Combat is kinda mechanical and stiff too. The bits where he grabs the guys and runs off with them looked pretty silly.

Dunno about this one.

smr00

Banned

Seeing as the game was made as one giant nod towards hong kong cinema it makes complete sense, more so then in games like batman AA/AC or other games where 20 guys just stand around. At least this game can use the excuse that this is a game that caters to the HK flick fans, fans who love the cheesy yakuza stories, the old school MA flicks where 30 people surround you in a circle and take their time, over the top chase scenes etc.

Not only does it make sense that way, it also wouldn't be fun if 16 people rushed you, you can't do a 16 counter attack, 2-3 sure but it's a video game, a game based on those HK films.

It's really pretty. The fighting system in the demo was fairly simple, but pretty fun.
On the other hand, the character controls very strangely, especially when you're walking. Like if there was a massive amount of input lag, though I think in this case it's intentional (now that i think about it i should have tried to eyeball the input lag) - more trying to represent natural inertia.

Is the fighting system the same as in the Arkham games in the sense that there's only one button for striking/kicking and the type of strikes changes contextually, while the other buttons are relegated to counters and stuns?

Performance was kinda poor, though. Framerate didn't feel super steady. But i am very curious, the `world' seemed interesting, and i am always up for a good brawler with good story.''

What system did you play on and was there any screen tearing?

I agree, the enemies should be more aggressive. I also think the counter system should allow you to counter more than one opponent at once, like in Batman: Arkham City. While they may be more aggressive on higher difficulties (for all we know the demo is set to easy), it doesn't look like there is a multi-counter system in place. I'm still excited about the game, love the setting and the type of action it will provide, but B:AC really set the bar for fights with multiple enemies, so it would be nice if this followed in its footsteps. I do like how impactful the counter moves look though, they seem really satisfying.

Seeing as the game was made as one giant nod towards hong kong cinema it makes complete sense, more so then in games like batman AA/AC or other games where 20 guys just stand around. At least this game can use the excuse that this is a game that caters to the HK flick fans, fans who love the cheesy yakuza stories, the old school MA flicks where 30 people surround you in a circle and take their time, over the top chase scenes etc.

Not only does it make sense that way, it also wouldn't be fun if 16 people rushed you, you can't do a 16 counter attack, 2-3 sure but it's a video game, a game based on those HK films.

You have a point, but even if the opponents stand around in HK films, the fights in the better films still look way faster, so it isn't as obvious that they're waiting for their turn. You mention the Arkham games, but while that may be correct for Asylum, the multi-counter system allows for enemies to be much more aggressive and you often counter three opponents at once, which gives the fights a much more frantic feel. From what i've seen of Sleeping Dogs, the fights have a fairly slow pace and enemies make no attempt to hit you while you are engaging one of them. Perhaps there isn't a really a need for triple counters due to the lower number of enemies that engage you in a fight, but at least double counters would be nice. You mentioned the Yakuza games, while those enemies can be a bit passive too, they will still smack you from behind if you turn their back on them while engaging one of their buddies.

I'm genuinely excited to see this game finally come out. Almost everything I've seen about this game gives me a lot of hope that it'll be good.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'll buy it just for the setting.

I can't recall how many games have Chinese main characters too...

Does look kinda Alpha Protocol janky though :p

edit: oh for fuck's sake PLEASE INCLUDE CANTO OPTION FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
guy yelling fuck you with the Canto crowd noise and the 'dieu lay' is very fucking jarring.

There's a weight to the combat moves that's reminiscent of the animations in The Warriors, or Bully. I like it.

Continuing to watch this one.

DJMicLuv

First I've heard of the game and it looks really promising.
A bit Arkham, a bit Yakuza, the chase down reminded me of LA:Noire and there was the table sliding from Stranglehold as well as the setting.
I'm definitely keeping my eye on this one.

Mubbed

Everything about the combat seems like a downgrade from Streets of LA. It looks like they're drawing inspiration from all the popular titles as of late.

Looking surprisingly good. Does this game still have bullet-time?

EDIT: Answered my own question.

Reviewers praised the free running aspect of the game, similar to the Assassin's Creed series, the melee combat systems, similar to Batman: Arkham City, the slow-motion while shooting, similar to the Max Payne series, the vehicular combat, similar to Just Cause 2, the mission structure, similar to the Grand Theft Auto series, and also the depth of the storyline.

This certainly sounds like a winning formula on paper, but I hope this delivers.

Hobs

Neo Member
Haha the Cantonese dialog actually sounds a bit more realistic than what I expected.

Usually on western-produced tv shows, movies and even games, the stuff people would say would not make sense at all or people just wouldn't speak that way in real life.

Ahasverus

Haha the Cantonese dialog actually sounds a bit more realistic than what I expected.

Usually on western-produced tv shows, movies and even games, the stuff people would say would not make sense at all or people just wouldn't speak that way in real life.
Interesting! Care to explain?

Top Bottom