• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PLAYSTATION 3 "OFFICIALLY" (finally) Announced! Landing on US stores now!

that doesn't even look like a place to remove the HDD. unless it's the new pull to open rather than taking off the strippable screw.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
tenten said:
well, holy shit, can we all see that september npds will be EPIC!!

halo and slim!
what does the wii have?

Muramasa, Valhalla Knights, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash Up, Dead Space: Extraction, and Spyborgs.

Nothing as big as Halo or the Slim SKU, basically.

agaru

3833593107_579fa1b592_b.jpg

3834387256_217fa5a6e3_b.jpg

3833593927_d80ec49706_b.jpg

Halvie

Banned
THE:MILKMAN said:
UMmm...............250 watts power consumption?

That a typo or max consumption?

I am guessing that is max. I searched for the ps3 power consumption and it seems right not to be around 180-200. If it actually is decreased I don't see how it would get anywhere close to 250w.

Yama

BRAVIA® Sync™ Feature
The new PS3 system is also equipped with the BRAVIA® Sync™ feature. By connecting the new PS3 system and a BRAVIA TV with the HDMI cable, users are able to directly operate the XMB on PS3 using the TV remote control. Other functions include “System Standby” that will automatically turn off the PS3 system when the BRAVIA TV is turned off*4.

That is sweet. I love my BD Remote, but I can't argue with less to fiddle with.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I prefer the look but don't think it looks cheap. The rough finish on top is actually pretty nice.

This + PSP GO will sync up nicely I imagine, can't wait for all the features together. My PS3 60GB (320) + PSP 1000 will always have a purpose and place, but I wouldn't mind a new set.

manutd

Neo Member
the side by side comparison with the original playstation 3 does not help the slim to look any better, but i guess you get what you pay for

LegendofJoe said:
I am genuinely surprised that Sony priced this thing at 299 dollars, talk about hitting a home run. This will easily heat up the marketplace this fall.

Pretty much. It's the move they needed. I can get another one and move the 60gb to the bedroom, get the new Viera + 7.1 and be set.

jay

Did the software BC make use of extra chips added to the PS3 explicitly for BC? Obviously the point of software emulation was to remove the need for the emotion engine but was there an extra graphics chip or whatever still necessary?

EekTheKat

Wonder if this thing supports bitstreaming of 7.1 audio over HDMI. IIRC the fat PS3 couldn't do this due to a limitation of the HDMI chip being used I think (LPCM still works though).

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
So how much of a boost in sales are we expecting these upcoming holidays?

$299 is pretty damn good.

LiK

FYI, the cheaper look probably appeals to the main stream as looking more affordable. just my theory :p

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
gofreak said:
Ooooh "reduced fan noise".

Also, they are rebranding.

Concurrently with the release of the new PS3 system, SCE will modify the PS3 brand name from “PLAYSTATION 3” to “PlayStation 3”, and introduce a new “ ” logo, which is engraved on the surface of the new PS3 system. By unifying under the familiar “PlayStation®” name, which represents the entire PlayStation family, PS3 together with PlayStation®2 and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) will further expand the PlayStation business, and will continue to enhance the entertainment experience along with the ever-growing PlayStation®Network.

Bye spidey.

oh it's not PlayStation 3 or PS3 instead of PLAYSTATION3 that good

but what about my Blu-ray cases ? I love Spidy fonts on them , hope they don't change that :(

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Actually seeing them side to side like that. I think I prefer the look of the fat one. It somehow looks more classy.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Final question. Think it would be worth getting a new slim on Amazon?(Tax/Shipping Free), or trying get a used one on Ebay?

I figure I can continue to wait on PS2 BC with PC. So the older models aren't really needed.

54-46!

I like it, will probably replace my fat PS3 with this one some time in the future when the price drops even more :)

Giolon

*yawn* I got my 60GB PS3 on sale for $300 back in May.

I was really hoping for some PS2 BC news.

At least it doesn't have the silly Spiderman 3 font on it.

avaya

The slim is butt ugly compared to the original in most angles.

So glad I got my 60-cum-320gb launch console.

Aladuf

Banned
If I'm able to pop out the 320GB HDD on my PS3 right now and put it right into a Slim and be good to go, then I'll be getting the Slim on day one. I've always thought the current design looked great but the Slim looks a whole lot better to me.

Xdrive05

That's pretty awesome. I'm still rocking a 40gig which makes me jealous of the new guy (3 times the storage! Jesus fuck!).

Glad to see that Sony's decided to compete again. Their investors can sleep easy tonight. Good job, Sony! :D

Top Bottom