• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
lowrider007 said:
I would still like to know whether or not the Slim will have an external/internal PSU, if it's external I doubt it's something that we will be told about at the conference.

Is it so bad that it's external? It takes out a lot of heat...isn't that good?

zero2000

Banned
lowrider007 said:
I would still like to know whether or not the Slim will have an external/internal PSU, if it's external I doubt it's something that we will be told about at the conference.

When viewing PS3 disassembling videos, the PSU and the disc drive are the only two things that would hinder the production of a Slim model. Disc drive can obviously be replaced with a thinner one (laptop), but I am not so sure on how slim they can make the PSU.

Elios83

lowrider007 said:

It looks like it's internal.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mithos said:
The pricerange being talked about in many european newschannels (onlien newspapers etc).

Converted to US dollars, $99-$149 for a PS3slim.

This pricerumour comes from a anonymous retailer in France according to the news.

hahahaha you must have done your conversion wrong, dude. The price-range is 70 euro to 100 euro? I'll bet you, I don't know, a thousand dollars that that's not even in the ballpark.

Crisis

Banned
lowrider007 said:

I think it's internal. If the leaked production shots are legitimate then there's a fairly large power port on the back of it. As in similar to the existing one. That's certainly not definitive one way or the other but if they wanted to streamline the entire console and take out the power supply then it would seem counterproductive to not make the plug much much smaller.

lowrider007 said:
i'd bet internal given the strides Sony have made in this area with the PS3 and the most recent PS2 revision.

if they cut wifi, i'd say no big deal. i use a wireless bridge on my PS3 cause it performs much better than the built in wifi. also wifi sucks for streaming HD videos/copying files etc.

plus, since their competitors don't have it either, sure they lose a bullet point, but like Microsoft dropping HD cables from their systems, it's not like fanboys from the other camp can really all of sudden complain about it.

KZObsessed

I still have that awful feeling regarding UK price, I'm gonna bitch up a storm!

£219 would be perfect. No more please.

$299 competes with Elite in US, but Elite is gonna be £170 in UK, £50 difference is still very significant, so £199 would be best... :D .... please. Me no haz money.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
demosthenes said:
Is it so bad that it's external? It takes out a lot of heat...isn't that good?

Not particularly. I would just prefer internal that's all, It's not going to stop me from trading up to a Slim.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The original leaked photos showed a wifi indicator on the front.

Well I assume it's a wifi indicator, since the two lights on the current model are for hdd and wifi (the 20gb model only had one light, it had no wifi).

DenogginizerOS said:
$299.99 is a GREAT price for PS3/Blu-ray player with free online gaming, 120GB hard drive, and a wireless adapter built-in. Anyone who says the PS3 is still too expensive with all that gear included in one box is insane IMO.

Wont buy until 29.99.

gcubed

A Twisty Fluken said:
noise and power consumption are going to be my big questions, but i'm optimistic.

noise and power consumption were both greatly reduced with the new batch of ps3 fats so chances are good with this one

Mithos

Stumpokapow said:
hahahaha you must have done your conversion wrong, dude. The price-range is 70 euro to 100 euro? I'll bet you, I don't know, a thousand dollars that that's not even in the ballpark.

Yes, total "wrong ballpark", ant switched around to..

Should have said $149-$199

My mistake, I take all responsibility on that blunder ;P

TheExodu5

Banned
I'd consider ever getting a slim only if the PSU was internal.

I have a nice setup now where at the 3 TVs in my house where I use my PS3, I have video cables and a universal PC power cable already set up. When I move my PS3, I just need to move the system and plug it in. Having an external PSU means I've got to move that too, and with many of my power outlets being behind my TVs, that can be a pain in the ass.

And yes, I do move my system often, as I move it from my room to the projector when I have friends over, usually weekly.

SmokyDave

FFObsessed said:
I still have that awful feeling regarding UK price, I'm gonna bitch up a storm!

£219 would be perfect. No more please.

$299 competes with Elite in US, but Elite is gonna be £170 in UK, £50 difference is still very significant, so £199 would be best... :D .... please. Me no haz money.

I'm going to guess £239.99 with the PSP Go coming in at £199.99. If the Go is still £249.99 then there will be no price cut for the Slim.

jmdajr

I wonder when Wii will get a price drop. I cant imagine it will be as hot a seller this christmas now that ps3 is 299.99. Especially if the ps3 slim comes with a game.

So they really did it. They priced the slim right there at the price-cut.

Get GT5 out this year and along with Uncharted 2 that is a killer outlook for the holidays and going forward.

KZObsessed

SmokyDave said:
I'm going to guess £239.99 with the PSP Go coming in at £199.99. If the Go is still £249.99 then there will be no price cut for the Slim.

oh god yeah, I forgot about the PSP Go.

There's no hope.

:(

TheExodu5 said:
I'd consider ever getting a slim only if the PSU was internal.

I have a nice setup now where at the 3 TVs in my house where I use my PS3, I have video cables and a universal PC power cable already set up. When I move my PS3, I just need to move the system and plug it in. Having an external PSU means I've got to move that too, and with many of my power outlets being behind my TVs, that can be a pain in the ass.

And yes, I do move my system often, as I move it from my room to the projector when I have friends over, usually weekly.
some power bricks take that universal PC power cable, so a brick wouldn't necessarily screw you up. however i don't think you have anything to worry about as i'm pretty sure it's going to be internal.

TheExodu5

Banned
plagiarize said:
some power bricks take that universal PC power cable, so a brick wouldn't necessarily screw you up. however i don't think you have anything to worry about as i'm pretty sure it's going to be internal.

Let's hope so. :)

Lord Error said:
Guys, you shouldn't act like this price is some stupidly low figure now. From the perspective of some kid who wants to buy a console, three years after its launch PS3 costs as much as PS2 cost at its launch. And for some people back then too that was a high price that they waited to become lower.

do you know the time value of money? meaning a dollar today is worth more than a dollar in the future due to the effect of inflation.therefore, $500 today is probably worth $400 ten years ago.

jmdajr

sleeping_dragon said:
do you know the time value of money? meaning a dollar today is worth more than a dollar in the future due to the effect of inflation.therefore, $500 today is probably worth $400 ten years ago.

man, 3DO was expensive!

sleeping_dragon said:

applying what you remember from the two weeks you took of econ 101 before dropping the class usually ends pretty badly in cases like this.

tokkun

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
It begins

$599? i will wait till $499
$499? i will wait till $399
$399? i will wait till $299
$299? i will wait till $199
$199? i will wait till ......

I don't see anything inconsistent with this attitude.

1. Along with cutting the price of the console, Sony has also been consistently removing features - HW PS2 BC, SW PS2 BC, reduced HD size, extra ports on the console. The PS3 you said you would buy at $399 no longer exists.

2. Technology hasn't been at a standstill while the PS3 has been slowly moving toward a competitive price. Standalone Blu-Ray players have seen significant price reductions, reducing the value of the BD in the PS3. Other high-end electronics have seen big price cuts too - the iPhone launched for a similar price to the PS3 and can be had at $99 now. PC graphics cards are steadily pushing forward the cutting edge in game performance. A $299 price today is not the same as a $299 price 2 years ago.

Kingsgoon

FFObsessed said:
$299 competes with Elite in US, but Elite is gonna be £170 in UK, £50 difference is
still very significant, so £199 would be best... :D .... please. Me no haz money.
As they raised the price for the arcade in to £159 I think you are in
for a big disappointment if you expect them to lower the Elite to £170.

Dragon

Banned
tokkun said:

1. Along with cutting the price of the console, Sony has also been consistently removing features - HW PS2 BC, SW PS2 BC, reduced HD size, extra ports on the console. The PS3 you said you would buy at $399 no longer exists.

2. Technology hasn't been at a standstill while the PS3 has been slowly moving toward a competitive price. Standalone Blu-Ray players have seen significant price reductions, reducing the value of the BD in the PS3. Other high-end electronics have seen big price cuts too - the iPhone launched for a similar price to the PS3 and can be had at $99 now. PC graphics cards are steadily pushing forward the cutting edge in game performance. A $299 price today is not the same as a $299 price 2 years ago.

The iPhone at 99 bucks is with a 2 year agreement, not even close to the same thing.

____

tokkun said:

Isn't it supposed to be about the games? Everything else is just...extra?

jmd494

I'm on my blackberry so its a PITA to view this thread. Would someone mind summarizing what has developed in the last 48 hours?

tokkun said:

0.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
A Twisty Fluken said:
applying what you remember from the two weeks you took of econ 101 before dropping the class usually ends pretty badly in cases like this.

His values may be way off, but he's not wrong. Not sure what you're getting at.

edit: his values are quite close. $400 in 1999 has the purchasing power of $516 today.

Rctdaemon

Justin Dailey said:
I'm on my blackberry so its a PITA to view this thread. Would someone mind summarizing what has developed in the last 48 hours?

Long story short: PS3 slim @ $300 confirmed by K-mart and Sears.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Justin Dailey said:

Mainly, K-mart/Sears list the PS3 Slim as releasing Aug 24 for $299.

slider

Justin Dailey said:

I'm about to get on a plane so haven't seen the thread myself. Apparently something about kmart's website "confirming" the slim with an pre-order section for it. 120gb, $299 I think.

We're nearly at the conference anyway so safe to ignore this post... :(

jmdajr

I agree that's it's too bad the launch 599 ps3 never made it to 299.

Still even the launch Playstation lost a lot of it's I/O ports after a couple of years.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
From a point-of-sale perspective, a clerk is able to hand one box to a customer for a PS3 purchase while that same clerk would have to hand over multiple boxes to a customer looking to match the experience they can get with a PS3 and charge them a lot more in the process: 1) Xbox 360 2) Xbox Live Subscription 3) Wireless Adapter 4) Blu-ray Player.

As far as games are concerned, last I checked, COD:MW2 is going to be on PS3 this Fall, Madden is on PS3 already, Assassin's Creed 2 is on PS3, and Gran Turismo 5 will be on PS3 (possibly before Christmas) in addition to many other games including the other Sony exclusives. To say the X360's lineup outside of Halo, Fable, and Gears of War is superior to the PS3's is debatable and laughable in my opinion.

In addition, the Panasonic Blu-ray player that matches the PS3's quality in playback currently retails for $299.99 at most retailers ($219.99 at Costco). From that perspective alone, a consumer sees the PS3 much like consumers saw a PS2 with DVD playback - a great deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom