• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chubigan's experiment... gets a giant meh. The thing about blogs is that their constantly editable nature means that it's okay to run a rumour and then later label it as false. That's how the web works. That's the beneift of the screen. Given that those kinds of tips can often be true, Kotaku did the right thing - they ran it with a disclaimer that it looked shady.

All you did was display how information gathering works online. You put it up, and then let the crowd figure out whether it's true. Welcome to the new world.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
somuchwater said:
Chubigan's experiment... gets a giant meh. The thing about blogs is that their constantly editable nature means that it's okay to run a rumour and then later label it as false. That's how the web works. That's the beneift of the screen. Given that those kinds of tips can often be true, Kotaku did the right thing - they ran it with a disclaimer that it looked shady.
You mean Gizmodo.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
somuchwater said:

All you did was display how information gathering works online. You put it up, and then let the crowd figure out whether it's true. Welcome to the new world.
what have you done captain negativity?

DMeisterJ

Banned
somuchwater said:

u mad?

expy

Banned
The funny thing about this whole ordeal is that the image used in almost all these "ads" is documented to have been fan-made, yet, one after the other, these "journalists" pick them up and publish them trying to get hits. They're just the laughing stock of the interwebs now.

Loudninja

somuchwater said:

Stop tricking me!

Ettie

expy said:
The funny thing about this whole ordeal is that the image used in almost all these "ads" is documented to have been fan-made, yet, one after the other, these "journalists" pick them up and publish them trying to get hits. They're just the laughing stock of the interwebs now.

The clickmongering is making them money though.

somuchwater said:

That sounds no different than a newspaper printing a rumor with a disclaimer one day and then retracting it the next day. Just because it's easier to edit information on the web doesn't make it any better to post information that is almost 100% false.

expy said:

Uh-huh. After Lam's scoop about the Apple Tablet today, nobody's gonna' be reading Gizmodo.

Which actually is a good example of a rumour that seems legit. Again, there's no way to verify yet, so you run in based on your best instincts - which, I might add, are very different instincts from a print journalist.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ettenra said:
The clickmongering is making them money though.

Yeah, even if the writers involved know the image is fake, they also know that a lot of their audience don't...and all this back and forth and speculation etc. is drumming up business for them. It's the perfect story from a click-catching pov, pretty high interest, and one that can run with article after article and correction after correction until Sony makes its announcement...and all these things ultimately make them money.

It's the same reason a lot of these blogs knowingly only partially report a story, so there's room for user feedback and correction - that drums up more traffic, and also lets them refresh the article later with an update that also draws more traffic.

expy

Banned
somuchwater said:
Uh-huh. After Lam's scoop about the Apple Tablet today, nobody's gonna' be reading Gizmodo.

Which actually is a good example of a rumour that seems legit. Again, there's no way to verify yet, so you run in based on your best instincts - which, I might add, are very different instincts from a print journalist.

Well, the same image of the slim has been used in prior articles around the web and debunked just as fast. Everyone in the industry should know by now that it is GAF-made.

MotherFan said:
Someone can still make a Gamestop ad and claim it was leaked by a district manager at one of the meetings or some shit. Blogs will gobble that one up. Need a new pic though
thats what i said. It would be believable but after this no ones going to believe anything. unless someone "secretely" moves the controller around, and gives different angles to the ps3 slim

deepbrown

gofreak said:
Yeah, even if the writers involved know the image is fake, they also know that a lot of their audience don't...and all this back and forth and speculation etc. is drumming up business for them. It's the perfect story from a click-catching pov, pretty high interest, and one that can run with article after article and correction after correction until Sony makes its announcement...and all these things ultimately make them money.

It's the same reason a lot of these blogs knowingly only partially report a story, so there's room for user feedback and correction - that drums up more traffic, and also lets them refresh the article later with an update that also draws more traffic.
Correct.

panda21

expy said:
Well, the same image of the slim has been used in prior articles around the web and debunked just as fast. Everyone in the industry should know by now that it is GAF-made.

someone just do it with the picture upside down :lol

Firewire

Banned
deepbrown said:
Got a bunch of Sony PS3 images for inspiration. Problem is that we're being watched now :p

When the real PS3 Slim is announced and pictures hit the net, no one is going to believe they are real because of you jokers. :lol

Kaz will walk on stage to announce the Slim, and the powerpoint presentation behind him will just show the NeoGAF logo, and he'll walk of laughing.

Carl

Galvanise_ said:
Kaz will walk on stage to announce the Slim, and the powerpoint presentation behind him will just show the NeoGAF logo, and he'll walk of laughing.

Cakefoo is Kaz, confirmed?

Slaylock

Galvanise_ said:
The powerpoint will show a picture of the Slim, and the audience will be squinting trying to spot the shop.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Galvanise_ said:

It would be awesome if he puts up the made up image on the left, then the real image slides down on the right and its the same thing mirrored.

deepbrown

AndyD said:
It would be awesome if he puts up the made up image on the left, then the real image slides down on the right and its the same thing mirrored.
Could be better - like a full on trailer with epic music, running through images of the PS3...each of the models, to the mock-ups (including that shitty Chinese one) being thrown on board - the pics fall in like the polaroids on the PS3 pic slide-show - and then a massive 3D model of the actual PS3 Slim slams down on them as they burst into flames around it!

Kaz: Thanks Neogaf, but THIS is the PS3 Slim!

offshore

They've got to do something funny when they present it to acknowledge the leaks and mockups.

There's so much material Sony can use to entertain the crowd.

Tom Penny

Firewire said:
When the real PS3 Slim is announced and pictures hit the net, no one is going to believe they are real because of you jokers. :lol

There is no Slim PS3 coming this year. Don't shoot the messenger....

tirminyl

This thread is amazing. Makes me wish a slim will never be unveiled just to see how much more impressive these fake ads can get. Of course the meltdowns will be glorious. I am now expecting a fully developed website devoted to the Slim :lol

Loudninja

Stumpokapow said:
There's a Canadian Sony rep conference call by the end of the week / early next week to discuss info on major new product launch. Such conferences are only called when there's a major launch and they can't just distribute the information normally.

Hey man where you get this info from?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
somuchwater said:

I knew it wasnt going to be fully believeable anyways, using cakefoos pic. No one really did seem to believe it at all.

But it was fun. :D I probably wont ever do anything like that again, hah.

cakefoo

2zoyo1y.jpg

matmanx1

Yeah I've got tears in my eyes from reading these last few pages. Awesome job Gaffers! This is the most fun I've had in a thread in a long time. Thanks!

So our Sony rep came into work Monday. She gave us some pamphlets on games coming soon, checked our PS3 demo unit to see if it was up to date, the usual vendor rep routine. Then she tells me she's flying to Vegas this weekend for a conference for all the reps, closed off to the public. She said she'd be coming out of this conference with what she claimed would be "very exciting news".

The date of this mystery Vegas conference? August 18.

I immediately pressed her for more information, being very sly about it. "C'mon [name of Sony rep], don't leave me with SLIM pickings here." She laughed me off, hopefully getting what I was implying, and said she'd gladly share everything she knew after next Tuesday.

ConradCervantes said:
So our Sony rep came into work Monday. She gave us some pamphlets on games coming soon, checked our PS3 demo unit to see if it was up to date, the usual vendor rep routine. Then she tells me she's flying to Vegas this weekend for a conference for all the reps, closed off to the public. She said she'd be coming out of this conference with what she claimed would be "very exciting news".

I immediately pressed her for more information, being very sly about it. "C'mon [name of Sony rep], don't leave me with SLIM pickings here." She laughed me off, hopefully getting what I was implying, and said she'd gladly share everything she knew after next Tuesday.
lol SLIM pickings. she probably knows about the slim already

Loudninja

ConradCervantes said:

So this must be what he was talking about?

Stumpokapow said:
There's a Canadian Sony rep conference call by the end of the week / early next week to discuss info on major new product launch. Such conferences are only called when there's a major launch and they can't just distribute the information normally.

wotter said:
This thread just keeps going and going :lol

And it is just beginning. Grab some popcorn and stay tuned. Tuesday should be a blast. It will either be jubilation or a huge amount of melting down. Knowing GAF the latter would not only be more entertaining but will most likely happen :lol

Sirolf

Well..Back to the reality :D

Here is an ad , courtesy of ps3gen.fr, from Carrefour a big french (and mondial!) supermarket chain :

2ujgtok.jpg

Old PS3 form for the picture but it says clearly "New Console,new price"

Bam final proof :D

All we've got so far is definitive proof of a price drop across Europe to 299€, but nothing quite so convincing for a new 'slim' model releasing in the same timeframe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom