• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
GSG Flash said:
If Kmart isn't bulshitting us, and the PS3 slim exists, is $299 and is coming next week, then great move by Sony. For once, a press conference will actually have lived up to it's megaton hype :lol

This.

TheExodu5 said:
That doesn't work when there's just about noone selling PS3s on commission.

It works when you actually do your job. I work Target electronics, and I really like electronics, so I do my best at it. I can't help if a large part of this country is lazy :D

Raist

Banned
Tobor said:
This thread has had quite the journey. :lol

Finally, it's over.

Also, :lol @ Denogginizer. Join us in reality, please.

There are still people doubting it.
Can't wait to see people calling fake and cakefoo photoshop rip-off by Sony after the conference :p

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
DoctorWho said:
I wonder if they are going to go with the 1 sku future and be done with it. Just the Slim 120GB at $299. That would be for the best.

Eventually, they would up the HDD since it would be cheaper to do so.

Anyways, Slim PS3, $299. This is a good thing. Can't it just be that simple?

Tobor

Raist said:
There are still people doubting it.
Can't wait to see people calling fake and cakefoo photoshop rip-off by Sony after the conference :p
Come on. No one could be that stupid...

...well, no one should be that stupid.

jmdajr said:
In case they do take out some features, it probably be wise to get those ps3 fattys at 299.
I don't see what they will take out though. I think the most they'd do is remove the built in wifi but for some reason I doubt they'll do that at all.

DenogginizerOS said:
A good salesperson will inquire about what the customer wants to do with the system and will hand them the things they will need so they have them in their hands. If I were running a store and the majority of console consumers left my store with just the system in their hand only to realize later that they needed more, then I would be doing a terrible job. Nevertheless, the fact a person might have to return to the store to get a Live sub or a wireless adapter compared to a PS3 owner who may return for an HDMI cable demonstrates the PS3 is a more complete package. Finally, by having all this gear in the box, I would be able to focus on selling games (where profit margins are greater) and plant more seeds for games coming rather than getting into the Frankenstein-esque assembly that is getting started with an Xbox 360.
the PS3 is either a complete package or something with extraneous features depending on the consumer's perspective. if you don't need or want wireless, is isn't a selling point. everyone's opinion of worth varies.

a good sales person will ask those questions, and as someone who considers himself such a thing, will usually find the consumer thinks that the good sales person is actually a bad sales person trying to sell them a bunch of crap they don't need.

Raist

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
I don't see what they will take out though. I think the most they'd do is remove the built in wifi but for some reason I doubt they'll do that at all.

BRD. All PS3 games available on the PSN, starting tomorrow. Slim buyers get a free optic fiber connection.

-Pyromaniac- said:
i don't think they will either, but i don't think it'd be a big deal if they did. built in wireless isn't a big selling point for most people, and so long as the new wireless adapter they put out is reasonably priced, i think the people that didn't need it would rather pay less and not have it standard.

but again, i don't think it's going to happen.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Tobor said:
Also, :lol @ Denogginizer. Join us in reality, please.
Yes, sure, I am fully aware that most stores are woefully inadequate when it comes to salesmanship, but there are salespeople out there who actually do care about their jobs and their employers and make efforts to sell more than just what the customer came into the store thinking they needed. You see, educating consumers at the point-of-sale is a part of customer service and I have found that when I educate consumers, they tend to buy more and buy smarter. Assuming a customer knows everything is foolish and mocking those who try to improve that is moreso.

Raist

Banned
plagiarize said:
i don't think they will either, but i don't think it'd be a big deal if they did. built in wireless isn't a big selling point for most people.

Are you serious? GAF would instantly be 500'd and every VG website out there would whine about it.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
demosthenes said:
Slim $299 @ Kmart preorder for 8/24 release.

he was saying they should get GT5 out this year.

If true, then.....

whoa.png

Cant wait for the conference....

and all the 360 fanboy crow-eating...lol

jmdajr

demosthenes said:
Good point...I could finally see the light on my receiver!

*hugs my 60gb*m I'm good for now.

Yeah I wouldn't upgrade just for that, but some hardcore people might be waiting for such features.

If ps3 also includes some component cables that would really show the 299 xbox elite more than a thing or two.

Busty

Banned
I implore you Sony. Release this PS3 Slim in Britain with a £199.99 price point.

If you do that I will buy one ASAP. Resist the temptation to release it at £250.

You've scapled Britain long enough with your outrageous prices.

Time to start giving back.

You owe us.

*folds arms*

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
plagiarize said:
the PS3 is either a complete package or something with extraneous features depending on the consumer's perspective. if you don't need or want wireless, is isn't a selling point. everyone's opinion of worth varies.

a good sales person will ask those questions, and as someone who considers himself such a thing, will usually find the consumer thinks that the good sales person is actually a bad sales person trying to sell them a bunch of crap they don't need.
We'll see when the new form-factor and pricepoint hits the shelves what consumers view as value and crap they don't need (like paying $50 for the ability to play games online and $100 for a wireless adapter that works with your $40 router).

Raist said:
Are you serious? GAF would instantly be 500'd and every VG website out there would whine about it.
sure gaf'd whine, but it'd mostly be 360 fanboys being obviously stupid. 500'd? no way. not just cause it doesn't have wireless. it's a much bigger cut than PS2 support. more in line with the card readers and extra usb ports.

what percentage of PS3 owners use the internal wireless adapter? i'd be surprised if it was anything approaching 10%.

still it's all pointless speculation cause i don't see it happening for a number of reasons (that original leaked box being the biggest).

plagiarize said:
i don't think they will either, but i don't think it'd be a big deal if they did. built in wireless isn't a big selling point for most people, and so long as the new wireless adapter they put out is reasonably priced, i think the people that didn't need it would rather pay less and not have it standard.

but again, i don't think it's going to happen.

How do you know wireless isn't a big selling point? If MS can get away with charging $100 for an adapter for so long, there must be some healthy demand for it.

At any rate, wifi certainly isn't an expensive component. Almost everything has it these days, even the wii and ds. Removing it doesn't save much. The lowered production cost for the slim is because it's a lot smaller and more power efficient with the 45nm chips.

Raist

Banned
Busty said:
I implore you Sony. Release this PS3 Slim in Britain with a £199.99 price point.

If you do that I will buy one ASAP. Resist the temptation to release it at £250.

You've scapled Britain long enough with your outrageous prices.

Time to start giving back.

You owe us.

*folds arms*

:lol

Never going to happen

LegoDad

Just got an email from my best buy informant, Best Buy will be dropping the price once its annoucned ASAP, they sent out a company wide email about it.

jmdajr

DenogginizerOS said:
We'll see when the new form-factor and pricepoint hits the shelves what consumers view as value and crap they don't need (like paying $50 for the ability to play games online and $100 for a wireless adapter that works with your $40 router).

to be fair the wifi adapter is a/b/and g.

I know 100 bucks is still loco, but it's still a feature you often don't think about.

DenogginizerOS said:

H_Prestige said:
How do you know wireless isn't a big selling point? If MS can get away with charging $100 for an adapter for so long, there must be some healthy demand for it.

At any rate, wifi certainly isn't an expensive component. Almost everything has it these days, even the wii and ds. Removing it doesn't save much. The lowered production cost for the slim is because it's a lot smaller and more power efficient with the 45nm chips.

cause nobody asks me if it's included on a PS3. cause we sell F all wireless adapters for the 360.

cause it requires a specific combination of tech savvy and PS3 in a location that can't be cabled, or tech savvy enough to set up wireless but not tech savvy enough to know better.

the wireless adapter on the 360 is expensive partly because it's this wacky dual band thing that isn't mass produced. most people don't want or need such a feature and MS were stupid to make it the only option imho.

built in wireless is a nice feature. it's value add. but honestly, are you telling me you wouldn't have a bought a PS3 without it?

Busty

Banned
Raist said:
:lol

Never going to happen

*sighs*

I know. I know.

Imagine potentially paying $500 for a PS3 Slim in Britain.

I'm already bitter about it and the motherfucking thing hasn't even been announced yet!

Oh well. Upwards and onwards.

Busty said:
*sighs*

I know. I know.

I'm already bitter about it and the motherfucking thing hasn't even been announced yet!

Except you want the pound/yen rate not pound/dollar rate...

Jaruru

DoctorWho said:
I wonder if they are going to go with the 1 sku future and be done with it. Just the Slim 120GB at $299. That would be for the best.

Sony would do 1 sku with a "timeline".
new sku coming in the next month, then another.

I like how EA is having a conference and no one seems to care. Sony should just start now.

Off topic but Dante's Inferno coming out in Feb. Trying to get a little close to Kratos I see.

Raist

Banned
Busty said:
*sighs*

I know. I know.

I live across the channel, I know how it feels :p
That said, I doubt it'll be £299. My moniez on 249 or something.

StuBurns

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
Off topic but Dante's Inferno coming out in Feb. Trying to get a little close to Kratos I see.
I think the logic is lots of 360 gamers will be wishing they had GoW3 to play, so EA are making a dog shit clone.

-Pyromaniac- said:
I like how EA is having a conference and no one seems to care. Sony should just start now.

OT, don't knock the next game from the guy who helped bring us Desert Bus and Dead Space.

:)

Tideas

Banned
Busty said:
*sighs*

I know. I know.

.... you really suck at conversions don't you?

200 pounds - VAT = 173 pounds.

173 pounds = 289 dollars.... You want to get a PS3 for cheaper than the US? (before tax)

250 pounds - VAT = 217 pounds

217 pounds = $362. Price of buying a PS3 in Cali: $300

You're just paying...an extra £36.

So wat are we bitching about again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom