• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slow PS3 download speeds

i can vouch for privoxy too

granted this is with a 100mb connection, but before i was lucky to get close to even
half of my speed through psn - privoxy works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWVMxxEtxO0

psn actively throttles downloads on ps3 and psp for some reason - its not the ISPs doing this otherwise
the privoxy method wouldnt make a difference, guess thats the price we pay for free online

I'll try privoxy, sometime, but it makes me sad I have the problem on ps+.

cgcg

It's a problem with PS3 wifi being extra sensitive to interference from neighboring wi-fi networks. Had a problem with download slowing down to a crawl for no apparent reason. Try bit of router troubleshooting without any luck, then I fired up the wi-fi scanning tool from my router and saw many wi-fi networks in my area were using the same channel. Switching to a less congested channel immediately fixes the problem.

Ocaso

I wonder how this works. :eek:

I read what I presume to be the original thread that discovered this workaround, and the speculation is that it "tricks" your ISP into thinking the requests made by your PS3 are being made by your PC. This is based on the notion that ISPs are throttling PS3 traffic for some reason. Whether or not that's true, the fact is that I saw absolutely no benefit from its use, and it was hit or miss for the people on that thread as well. Worth a shot for everyone, but I'm chalking it up to the PS3's wireless adapter for the time being.

Wired or wireless sucks for me. Router, no router, sucks for me. Old fat PS3, new slim PS3, sucks for me. Living in Florida using Time Warner cable, connection sucks. Living in Washington State on Charter, still sucks.

Decided to try out the Proxy tool. I'm impressed.

15 MB file - EU Store
Wireless No Proxy - 1:03'6 - avg 241 KB/s
Wireless Proxy - 1:03'4 - avg 242 KB/s
Wired No Proxy - 0:33'8 - avg 453 KB/s
Wired Proxy - 0:7'5 - avg 2048 KB/s

42 MB File - US Store

Wired No Proxy - 1:14'1 - 580 KB/s
Wired Proxy - 0:23'5 - 1830 KB/s

Would this proxy tool work on my laptop (wireless) or is it better to have it running on a wired connection?

Wireless connection would only slow it down, since the data is actively passing through your laptop first. Although I guess if you are using a 801.11n connection it could still be good enough that you wouldn't notice a difference.

snap0212

Wireless connection would only slow it down, since the data is actively passing through your laptop first. Although I guess if you are using a 801.11n connection it could still be good enough that you wouldn't notice a difference.
Tried it wired and got pretty much the speed iNvidious got (in the video). I'm also on a 100mbps connection but this is just too much of a hassle for me, to be honest.

iNvid02

wireless wont see a big benefit with this, data is passing through your pc first, but it definitely can make a difference for wired connections

also due to the steps involved, it's inconvenient to use it for every download. i just group together stuff and use it once for big downloads and full game trials - its worth the time for that

snap0212

wireless wont see a big benefit with this, data is passing through your pc first, but it definitely can make a difference for wired connections

also due to the steps involved, it's inconvenient to use it for every download. i just group together stuff and use it once for big downloads and full game trials - its worth the time for that
I'd be doing the same if the benefit was greater. Give me 8MB/s and I'll try it again. :p

Joni

Patches and games max out my connection, firmware less so but that might be because there is more stress on the server when they're released. (WiFi NAT2)

Zimbardo

i had 2 fat 60gig ps3s ....1st one lasted 2 years before YLOD ....and its wireless performance was sub par.

my 2nd fat ps3 (which is still kicking) also has sub par wireless performance.

i've had 2 different wireless routers over that span of time too ...no difference.

wired performance is fine ...but their wireless performance is pretty shit.

the xbox, in comparison, has considerably better wireless speeds.

Mitsurux

I have always had peering issues with Sony's servers. I have no idea why.

Sometimes doing an HTTP download / USB install helps, but generally it does not. I have no problem maxing my connection on Steam, XBL, Wii, DSi, 3DS, GOG, GamersGate, regular HTTP downloads, I have no problem streaming HD video both intranet and internet, I have no problem with any of my devices wireless or wired in my house. My PS3 is about 15 feet from my router, I've tried wired 100mbit cable and wireless.

This has been true since I got my PS3 in fall 2008. 60GB BC Fat. Newfoundland, Canada.

Almost the exact same for me....but 80GB Fat PS3...

Since the PS3 came out we moved across town, (Keeping cable provided) and still have the same issue...

It really makes you dread a system update...

Melchiah

Just changed the connection on my fat 60GB from wireless to wired, and the download speeds went through the roof, from about 100-200kbps to 1-2Mbps. o_O

The only problem is where will I put the modem that sits now in the middle of the living room, and the wires that lay across the floor.

The_Monk

My PS3 speed is fine.

What I don't understand is why I can no longer play an online for more than 40 minutes. I get disconnected all the time, but only if I'm playing a Multiplayer game. Tried everything.

Zutroy

My fat PS3 is getting terrible speeds too. I'm connected by wire to my 60Mb connection. The PS3 test shows its only getting 18Mb download, but even then it's clearly not getting anywhere near that. I'd estimate it's probably getting < 1Mb.

My PS3 has been on about two days straight now to download the plus games but I've still got Motorstorm and Infamous to go! It's probably going to kill my fatty!

When I upgraded from a 60gb launch model to a 320gb slim, my download speeds jumped from under 1mbps to around 1MBps.

Though downloads still vary to a considerable degree. Sometimes downloading a game or demo still averages a rate below 1mbps, but downloading all the Plus games that are now available was netting 1MBps or above. When I had a 60gb ps3, I NEVER got speeds that high.

Also, when DLNA was enabled on my fat ps3 when using wi-fi, it couldn't connect to my PC and PSN at the same time. Accessing one would always disconnect me from the other. With my Slim, I have no issue connecting to both simultaneously.

So older ps3's wi-fi sucks.

I usually get good speeds but I think now a lot of Plus owners are downloading ...

I have also always had the impression that background downloads are slower than when you highlight a download and show its status.

lucius

I downloaded like 50 gigs as soon as the new plus games went up pretty quick, I am wired on a slim though. I think now is when more people are trying to get those free games. When I had a launch system over wifi it was much slower but I also had a different router. I getting am new 750 hard drive next week so I will have like 300 gigs to DL again wonder if my speeds will keep up.

Edit: I wonder how accurate that internet connection test is in the network settings on PS3, I just tried it and it said 19.5 Mbps download

Withnail

Just read this on another forum... relates to Wifi and slow/unstable PS3 downloads.

Supposedly the Wifi thing in the PS3 is very weak. And is interrupted by other wireless stuff. This is especialy a problem with the old fat PS3´s. It is so bad that even the wireless controllers affect the performance of the Wifi.
So some persons decided to test this, and they found out, that if you have problems with the wireless Wifi connection, you need to turn off all your controllers. And then connect one controller with USB cable, and then turn that on. That way none of the controllers messes with the Wifi.

So in short: Turn of controllers. If you need to use a controller, then use the USB wire. This should increase speed and performance of the wireless connection.

Actually there could be some truth in this because Bluetooth and WiFi operate on the same frequencies and interfere with one another. The 360 doesn't use Bluetooth so doesn't have this problem.

There's also the problem of DLNA killing the PS3's WiFi speeds. Wired is definitely the way to go if possible.

Some ISPs will obviously be better than others too.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Just read this on another forum... relates to Wifi and slow/unstable PS3 downloads.

Supposedly the Wifi thing in the PS3 is very weak. And is interrupted by other wireless stuff. This is especialy a problem with the old fat PS3´s. It is so bad that even the wireless controllers affect the performance of the Wifi.
So some persons decided to test this, and they found out, that if you have problems with the wireless Wifi connection, you need to turn off all your controllers. And then connect one controller with USB cable, and then turn that on. That way none of the controllers messes with the Wifi.

So in short: Turn of controllers. If you need to use a controller, then use the USB wire. This should increase speed and performance of the wireless connection.

Actually there could be some truth in this because Bluetooth and WiFi operate on the same frequencies and interfere with one another. The 360 doesn't use Bluetooth so doesn't have this problem.

There's also the problem of DLNA killing the PS3's WiFi speeds. Wired is definitely the way to go if possible.

Some ISPs will obviously be better than others too.
I've always felt like the wifi in my 80 GB fat was weak, but it seems to be a lot slower as the years progressed.

The weird thing is I can get netflix HD fine, so it seems like they throttle? Someone might have mentioned that in this thread before or somewhere. Something about getting better speeds through a VPN or something.

Download speeds aren't nearly as annoying as having your downloads time out, forcing you to redownload everything all over again.

For some reason the proxy method stopped working for me now. I think having it installed messed up my network connection on the pc. But, I'm getting max speeds again even without a proxy (wired).

Ever since I got a new router with rogers, PSN has become super slow like people have been describing as such for years. Used to be maybe it took twenty minutes to download a 2 gb file, now its taking a whole night. I put the ps3 on dmz but there's no difference either. Friends list also takes a long time to load up. Maybe its just my ps3 is old now, I tried my nephews slim and he's getting fast speeds. Course he's also with bell, so maybe the problem is rogers.

coopolon

Nothing new to contribute, just another person who gets terrible DL speeds on a 60GB Fat whether it is wifi or wired. This has been true over several routers, although I've never really troubleshooted it as a router problem since every other device connected to the same router has no problems. I can get HD netflix and Hulu on it though, which is all I use it for anymore, but the updates are murder.

Edit: Oops, didn't notice this was a bump!

Melchiah

My problems started when I changed a modem as well, but when I went from Wi-Fi to wired the download speeds went from 100-200kbps back to 1-2Mbps. Dunno why, but today the DL speeds are slow again, eventhough I'm on wired connection.

EDIT: 60GB fat here as well.

EDIT.2: Seems like booting the modem fixed the problem. =)

Anteater

whoa that proxy thing works for me, thanks!

Now downloading at full speed
on my terrible internet connection!

Had this problem ever since I picked up my 60gb fat in '07; nice to see I'm not alone at all in this. Hooking it up to an ethernet cable certainly helps -- especially with video playback -- but downloading games and software updates can still take, well, long enough for me to browse GAF, find this thread, post in it, and still have ~40% left to go .

Azrael

I never had this problem before, but after moving to a new apartment PSN has become unusable. I get a little over 3 MB/second download speeds on my laptop and about 2 Mb/second on my PS3 with 100% signal strength. I have set up port forwarding with a static IP address for my PS3 and run inSSIDer and looked for a less crowded Wi-fi channel and experienced zero improvement. I bought an Ethernet cable and decided to try a wired connection, but I get an 80028e06 error every time I attempt to use a wired connection, and I have not found a solution to that problem either.

LakeEarth

I'm still trying to get my PS3 to convert from NAT3 to NAT2. This has been a frustrating journey (at multiple points my with no end in sight.

Everything I have tried so far:

- give my PS3 a static IP, then open all ports for that IP (DMZ). Still NAT3.
- give my PC a static IP, use Privoxy to use my PC as a proxy to speed up downloads (I think it helped, but nothing like what I've seen online). Still NAT3.
- bridged my modem and my router, and disabled the modem's DHCP protection. Still NAT3.

What else is left to try?

knitoe

I'm still trying to get my PS3 to convert from NAT3 to NAT2. This has been a frustrating journey (at multiple points my with no end in sight.

- give my PC a static IP, use Privoxy to use my PC as a proxy to speed up downloads (I think it helped, but nothing like what I've seen online). Still NAT3.
- bridged my modem and my router, and disabled the modem's DHCP protection. Still NAT3.

Leave the modem in bridge mode and connect PS3 directly to it. If you get NAT2, it's your router. Since you already tried DMZ and porting, you only option is to get another router. Or, if you still get NAT3, could be a problem with your ISP. Contact them.

patsu

Did you call your ISP ? Ask them if these ports are blocked:
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/connecttest.html#connectPSNetwork

The port numbers for PlayStation®Network servers used for this are TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480, 5223, 8080 and UDP: 3478, 3479.

For voice / video chat and online game play, direct communication with other PS3&#8482; systems is used for data transmission during voice / video chat and online gaming. The port number used for this is UDP: 3658. However, you may need to use a different port number when you are connected using a NAT router.

EDIT: You can check your router log to see more details about PS3's Connection Tests.

Think my 60GB is about to go
downloaded Burnout in much less than 2 hours on my slim, my brother on the same connection with the 60GB took 12+ hours to download.

Top Bottom