• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smart Delivery was once thought a joke and is now a proven superb feature

Topher

Gold Member
Doesn't sound like a joke to me. Sounds like a great feature. Just call what it is. Not everything needs to be controversial.

Eugene Levy Shrug GIF by Vanity Fair

Certinty

Let’s not forget the PS5 sometimes downloads the PS4 version of games instead… Had this happen to Miles Morales and FIFA 21 and when both were downloading there was zero indication they were the PS4 versions.

Fredrik

You don't need PS+ cloud storage to move your PS4 saves to PS5. You can also move them for free from a console to the other one using wifi, LAN cable or a pendrive.
Read again, that’s what I did. But cloud storage should always be there, for free, I should never have to have the old console when I buy a new one, it was pure luck I still had it working, it’s been on the death bed for years, og launch console.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Who thought it was a joke?

People kept calling it a "buzzword". Lots more than this, the locked Next-Gen thread was full of it:

So then Sony has some cute buzzword for free upgrades like MS does with Smart Delivery, but Sony hasn't announced their buzzword yet, so Cyberpunk can't tell you it'll be updated on PS5 through Wise Drop Off.

Honest "smart delivery" doesn't sound that smart. I would imagine, something like installing SP first or MP first would fit the meaning of those words better.

Oh so just like cross buy with vita/ps3 or nowadays ps4/vita. Smart delivery is just a new pr buzzword to an old thing

Cross Buy isn't new for anyone. Smart Delivery is the new gen buzzword that seems to have people confused. Especially with the backwards compatible features. That's good to know they clarified on the digital/ physical support.

The console wars are indeed serious business. Every single silly marketing buzzword must be defended and elevated to make the puny rival consoles realize their inadequacy.

Peasant, look at Smart Delivery, and despair.

TLDR: it's a buzzword for cross gen support. Nice MS marketing.

From the other thread:

Once/if games support cross-buy they will move on to some other marketing buzzword.

Stop talking sense. Succumb to the marketing buzzword.

There's no magic wizardry involved in having an application check what system version you're currently on and downloading/launching the appropriate title. 'Smart Delivery' is in fact a marketing buzzword for some basic ass quality of life work that Sony just didn't finish before the launch date most likely - no surprise really since they couldn't even manage to finish a working Rest Mode. Sony has been pulling this shit for years, like the fact that they still haven't implemented automated cloud save syncing for multiple consoles. They're always adding modern functionality but with Nintendo-level quality of life features wrapped around it.

The real question is whether SpinDoctor Phil knew ahead of time that Sony wouldn't manage to implement it properly and got his marketing team to make up their own fancy sounding buzzword to capitalize on Sony's lack of what should just be considered the most basic of requirements for a digital content focused backwards compatible system.

I think the "buzzword" you're looking for is "smart delivery". Just a buzzword tho.

Ideally that would make sense but I guess they won't let you manually download the Ps5 version if it's through Ps now.

yurinka

Even if you use cloud saves on PS5 you have to manually download PS4, update, the reupload your saves for them to actually work.
PS cloud saves have a feature to upload them automatically. Obviously if you were using it on PS4, won't need to upload the saves.

Then with the PS5 game if loged in with the same user you just download the PS4 save if desired. With the PS cloud saves as automatic you won't need to manually them in PS5 or in PS4.

Read again, that’s what I did. But cloud storage should always be there, for free, I should never have to have the old console when I buy a new one, it was pure luck I still had it working, it’s been on the death bed for years, og launch console.
You don't need the old console once you buy a new one if you were using cloud saves or if you were storing backups on a pendrive or external HDD.

In case the console breaks and you didn't have backups it was because you didn't want to make them using paid or free methods, because they were there.

And no, cloud saves aren't a human right or something like that. It's just a service companies offer, sometimes for free or sometimes as part of a paid service. Obviously free is always better.

Last edited:
PS cloud saves have a feature to upload them automatically. Obviously if you were using it on PS4, won't need to upload the saves.

Then with the PS5 game if loged in with the same user you just download the PS4 save if desired. With the PS cloud saves as automatic you won't need to manually them in PS5 or in PS4.

People who use them don't have full grasp of these "features" it seems.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It was likely because people didn't know the save feature would be a problem while getting the next gen version of the game works the same in most cases. A lot of games prompt you to download the XSX version via the internet just like the PS5 version.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It was likely because people didn't know the save feature would be a problem while getting the next gen version of the game works the same in most cases. A lot of games prompt you to download the XSX version via the internet just like the PS5 version.

That's not true. You don't have to go to the store and "buy" the XSX upgrade like you do going from PS4 to PS5. The only prompt you'll get is if your XBO version is installed on an external HDD and the XSX version needs to be installed on the internal. It'll prompt you to install it there.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
That's not true. You don't have to go to the store and "buy" the XSX upgrade like you do going from PS4 to PS5. The only prompt you'll get is if your XBO version is installed on an external HDD and the XSX version needs to be installed on the internal. It'll prompt you to install it there.
It is true. There are games where you're required to download the Xbox Series X version because it is NOT on the disc.

nemiroff

Gold Member
The seamless aproach that MS has created is pretty good. When buying the Xbox SX I just plugged my XOne SSDs into the SX and everything was ready to go, including saves. And if I want to continue a Xbox game on my PC I can just go do so without having to think about it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It'll look even more impressive when everyone has XCloud too in September.

I guess if I want to go visit family and show off some games, but not take everything - I can just log-in on their PC and play it in a browser and have it all synced up there too.

It is a buzzword, but I guess it just means they thought of all this in advance at the system level.

dave_d

I'm surprised Sony hasn't fixed this. I mean back on the PS3 some of the games the saves weren't compatible between the digital and disk version of the same game. Is that still true? Also when I'd get a game as digital through PSPlus I'd have to delete the disk install in order to download the digital distribution one. (I don't remember having to do any of this on XBox.)

soulbait

For most games on PS5, the cross-gen carry over process isn't a hassle. It takes like 30 seconds with the cloud saves. Though I suppose if you don't have cloud saves then it's a little longer process.

Xbox Smart Delivery is obviously better and should be the standard way.

What if you want to go back to your PS4 and continue the game there? Not everyone gets rid of their old consoles right away, with many of them going to secondary screens. Being able to hop between the two systems, along with your saves, is such a nice feature with Xbox, but seems to be absent from PS.

Fredrik

You don't need the old console once you buy a new one if you were using cloud saves or if you were storing backups on a pendrive or external HDD.

In case the console breaks and you didn't have backups it was because you didn't want to make them using paid or free methods, because they were there.

And no, cloud saves aren't a human right or something like that. It's just a service companies offer, sometimes for free or sometimes as part of a paid service. Obviously free is always better.
You can’t expect people to backup their saves after each play session, there is literally nothing good coming from that defensive stance, it just takes longer until Sony wake up and realize they need to improve this.
What the industry really need is cloud saves synced between all platforms, for free, so we don’t have to start over just because we own multiple platforms.

R6Rider

Gold Member
What if you want to go back to your PS4 and continue the game there? Not everyone gets rid of their old consoles right away, with many of them going to secondary screens. Being able to hop between the two systems, along with your saves, is such a nice feature with Xbox, but seems to be absent from PS.
I keep my old consoles personally and haven't played anything on my PS4 after playing it on my PS5. But in that case, the PS4 version still is transferable (the PS4 and PS5 saves are separate, as many games don't have a PS5 version, so they still use a PS4 save on the PS5).

You simply do the USB or Cloud transfer methods and done.

This is really another important point. If you aren't paying for PS+ you don' t get cloud storage at all. That is a basic feature that shouldn't be behind a paywall. The idea of just being able to pick the game you want, get the best version of that game, and carry over any and all saves without any effort on the user is the way things should be done especially on a console where the experience is supposed to be streamlined. I can only imagine what people will say when the NVME bay is activated on the PS5. Do you really think the average consumer will purchase the correct drive and get it installed with no issues at all? Consoles are supposed to be easy.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm surprised Sony hasn't fixed this. I mean back on the PS3 some of the games the saves weren't compatible between the digital and disk version of the same game. Is that still true? Also when I'd get a game as digital through PSPlus I'd have to delete the disk install in order to download the digital distribution one. (I don't remember having to do any of this on XBox.)
This is still standard procedure for PlayStation games. And it's a total joke.

Agreed with OP. Everyone said "it's just cross-buy" but it's more than that. Another thing about Smart Delivery, especially when it comes to saves:

You can play the game on the Xbox Series X, then boot up the game again on an Xbox One, and your save file is backwards compatible as well. I don't think this is possible with the PS4 -> PS5 conversion. Niche case, sure, but again just illustrates how seamlessly they have this working.
GOT director cut is an example of why smart delivery is a great feature. Other than the DLC the competition is charging for free upgrades on the other platform while also making it more difficult to acquire in the system.

ZywyPL

Banned
Yeah, it's amazing how seamlessly you can go between various platforms, continuing the games exactly where you left them just like that, and with the best version of the game on the given platform.

rolandss

Playstation:
Download the PS4 version of A Plague Tale: Innocence on your PS5.
You then need to download that save file from the cloud, and since you are playing the updated PS4 version, your file will now be compatible with the PlayStation 5 version.
Reupload it back to the cloud and download the updated PS5 version of the game.
You can now transfer your progress by downloading that data again in the PS5 application.
My experience on PS5 has been put a game in, install it, download the patch if there is one (which it does automatically) and my save is there? It hasn’t been nearly as convoluted as you describe, the console does all of this itself when you install a game. Your save files auto upload to the cloud with PS Plus already. What am I missing here?

Definitely no joke. I don't notice XSX the upgrades as much, just because There is no work involved. If I install on Series X I get the upgraded version, One X I get the non-upgraded version. For me the real awesome part is the cross saves. When I decided to boot up Skyrim and play with the 60FPS upgrade my old save that I haven't touched since 2015 was right there just waiting for me. Also, due to the fact that I have a lot of down time at work I've been playing a bunch in the browser via Xcloud at work, then I come home and play the games on my Series X. It's all so seamless

ManaByte

Gold Member
Your save files auto upload to the cloud with PS Plus already. What am I missing here?

Not for all games. For stuff like Spider-Man, FFVII Remake, etc you have to upload the PS4 save within the PS4 game and then re-download it. Auto PS Plus cloud saves do not work.

anthony2690

Banned
Playstation 5 is annoyingly an absolute headache when it comes to upgrades for some games whether it is regarding saves, having your console keep installing the PS4 version of a game etc.

Hopefully sony can improve/solve these issues down the line.

Microsoft has been very forward thinking and they've made it very easy to just upgrade and play, without hassle.

I think the cloud saves in general that are automatic and free on Xbox, is potentially the most overlooked feature though.

yurinka

My experience on PS5 has been put a game in, install it, download the patch if there is one (which it does automatically) and my save is there? It hasn’t been nearly as convoluted as you describe, the console does all of this itself when you install a game. Your save files auto upload to the cloud with PS Plus already. What am I missing here?
You aren't missing anything. It's just fanboy bullshit.

sainraja

Smart delivery is Microsoft's name for crossbuy: you buy a game once and have it available on different devices.

Maybe if they ue their own name it's because Sony patented the crossbuy name.

You don't need PS+ cloud storage to move your PS4 saves to PS5. You can also move them for free from a console to the other one using wifi, LAN cable or a pendrive.
The difference is in how it is implemented. On Xbox, you don't need to take any action for the save to carry over while on the PlayStation it kinda depends on the game (e.g. AC Valhalla does not require you to go through the same steps, like say Spiderman PS4 to PS5). People are starting to say cross-save is part of smart delivery but I was pretty sure on the Xbox One we had cross save across systems (before the marketing term 'smart delivery' was even invented for describing the process of game versioning); perhaps I am mistaken but I don't remember manually carrying my saves from Xbox One to Xbox One X.

Xbox fanboys will hype up anything but this is where they are not exactly wrong (but only when coming from previous gen (PS4) to new gen (PS5)). Outside of that, if you have auto-sync enabled for your games, saves will carry over (PS4 to PS4 games even on PS5) but the system has to upload it first and download it so you need to make sure the system is in rest mode (this part is true on the Xbox as well but Xbox does check sync status when you launch said title so it is a little less painful).

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
People kept calling it a "buzzword". Lots more than this, the locked Next-Gen thread was full of it:
Maybe I was naive and thought that Sony will have same system. Seems like if you pitched Sony system to your client/manager, you would get fired on the spot.

Riky

$MSFT
People are starting to say cross-save is part of smart delivery but I was pretty sure on the Xbox One we had cross save across systems (before the marketing term 'smart delivery' was even invented for describing the process of game versioning); perhaps I am mistaken but I don't remember manually carrying my saves from Xbox One to Xbox One X.

Correct.

Smart Delivery is just a name given to exactly the same system we had on Xbox One.
I used to play Modern Warfare all the time off an external SSD and just move it from One X to One S exactly how I do with my storage card on Series S and Series X.
We even had "shrinkable" games like Fallout 4 if you wanted to reduce the size on One S.
The only difference is that there are four versions not two.

The difference is in how it is implemented. On Xbox, you don't need to take any action for the save to carry over while on the PlayStation it kinda depends on the game (e.g. AC Valhalla does not require you to go through the same steps, like say Spiderman PS4 to PS5). People are starting to say cross-save is part of smart delivery but I was pretty sure on the Xbox One we had cross save across systems (before the marketing term 'smart delivery' was even invented for describing the process of game versioning); perhaps I am mistaken but I don't remember manually carrying my saves from Xbox One to Xbox One X.

Xbox fanboys will hype up anything but this is where they are not exactly wrong (but only when coming from previous gen (PS4) to new gen (PS5)). Outside of that, if you have auto-sync enabled for your games, saves will carry over (PS4 to PS4 games even on PS5) but the system has to upload it first and download it so you need to make sure the system is in rest mode (this part is true on the Xbox as well but Xbox does check sync status when you launch said title so it is a little less painful).
It also applies to the updates automatically given to the next gen versions. Example, if you boot up FF7 you can boot up the regular version or intergrade. On xbox theres the one version..and itll know which console you are on without you having to make sure you are playing the right version.

I like the way it's implemented, makes getting stuff up and running way easier. Hell the entire setup of the consoles out of the box was more convenient in my opinion. I set my Series X up using the damn Xbox App on my phone in just a few minutes, barely even had to touch the controller.

I don't even wanna get into me erasing a save that had damn near 100 hours on it when redownloading Ghosts of Tsushima to my PS5 on launch day *facepalm*

That Play Anywhere feature is amazing too. My PC's are upstairs..the fact that I can launch a game like say...Ori..upstairs and play through it..then go downstairs to my Series X and load the game and all of that progress is already there, it picks up where I left off save wise, and I don't have to do anything else is amazing

Top Bottom