• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. 3DS Japanese Packaging POSSIBLY Indicates Snake is cut from the game

Snake deconfirmed for Smash 3DS, but the Smash for Wii U dream of Snake is still alive! (lol).

Interesting with the absence of the packaging, but I still don't buy it meaning much either way. It looks like just one of the preorder/download code boxes so maybe they are witholding a few trademarks to keep the unannounced characters a surprise yet. Not expecting Snake to be back at all, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he snuck in once more. The easter eggs alone justified his appearance in the game, in my opinion.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Mario looks like he has a totally different costume on. Alternate costumes for even more character confirmed?

Would love Light Suit or Fusion Suit Samus. :D
It was a pic of the day a while back. It's his NES Open Tournament Golf costume. As for Samus....

t6FcOe3.jpg

RIP mother characters too
RIP one of the original 12

smh Snake was the best character in brawl , loved using him

Save him for DLC when phantom pain releases please

3DS holding back the Wii u version again ;)

The Lamp

People seriously believed Snake was still in? XD

There was logic to believing he was still in. He was begged to be included last time, he brought a lot of attention to Brawl, he was a unique character that wasn't a clone and the game suffers in diversity for losing him.

Blizzard

Banned
Snake was one of the coolest and most unique characters in Brawl. His almost certain passing is expected, but mourned. :(

I'm glad there are some new unique characters at least.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well, Inkling fits Smash infinitely better than Snake, but I doubt they'd ever put a character from an unreleased game. That being said, I want both. :)

Roy was from an unreleased game. But yeah, maybe Inkling could be in Smash 5 is Splatoon takes off.

And I expected Snake to be cut so if true I won't really be disappointed or surprised. Ness being cut would be very surprising though, would be a shame to lose one of the original 12.

Gartooth

SMH at people saying it was a good thing for a popular character to be cut because it didn't "fit" in their Smash Bros.

I hope Snake not being in it doesn't hurts the chances of Simon Belmont being DLC. Though I don't know if Konami and Kojima would be cool with another character over Snake.

Come on Captain N reunion.

random25

That looks like a download card.

More interesting is that the game is apparently 2.1GB, unless this was known already?

Pretty much confirms that Smash 3DS is packed, though I'm not sure how this stacks up with other 3DS titles (I think SMT4 is a little less than 2GB, does not really download retail 3DS titles except for that).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Well, Inkling fits Smash infinitely better than Snake, but I doubt they'd ever put a character from an unreleased game. That being said, I want both. :)
Roy was from an unreleased game at the time Melee was released.

Edit: Beaten...

JB2448

Either that isn't the final copyright list, or Itoi just stopped caring about having his name and APE inc. appear on the list, because we already know there is EarthBound IP stuff in the game:
Come to think of it, what about Ubisoft's credit for the Rayman trophy?

There was logic to believing he was still in. He was begged to be included last time, he brought a lot of attention to Brawl, he was a unique character that wasn't a clone and the game suffers in diversity for losing him.

True but it was quite obvious his inclusion was no doubt in jeopardy by the lack of any Konami support to any of the Nintendo systems at present =/ would seriously doubt Nintendo will promote a 3rd party character without getting something from them.

Javier

Maybe the copyright in the boxart is only for characters shown in it? Melee's cover is missing Intelligent Systems, and Marth and Roy were both unlockables in that one.

For the record, I'm among those who thinks Snake is indeed cut.

Fandangox

SMH at people saying it was a good thing for a popular character to be cut because it didn't "fit" in their Smash Bros.

This. Not surprised he is cut either way. The real surprise is the download size and that you can apparently transfer Mii Fighter between versions.

Richie

A shame to see an entire franchise be given the boot (a first time in the series). Será, será.

And my friends, the lack of Shigesato Itoi/APE Inc in there means nothing:

EDIT: Beaten, and with same screenshots to boot! But yeah, the point is made.

Pretty much confirms that Smash 3DS is packed, though I'm not sure how this stacks up with other 3DS titles (I think SMT4 is a little less than 2GB, does not really download retail 3DS titles except for that).

Animal Crossing New Leaf, Luigi's Mansion 2, and ALBW are ~1GB and I think Pokemon XY is 2.7GB. Just from memory.

EDIT: No, Pokemon is 1.7GB.

Stoze

I posted this in the main thread but Intelligent Systems isn't listed on the back of the Melee boxes, and someone said that Ape/Itoi isn't on back of the Japanese Smash 64 box. I wouldn't take these things as conclusive.

That said I think it's highly unlikely Snake is in.

H5qbVvw.png

iU571fE.jpg

It isn't clear to me if this packaging is actual game packaging or if it is promotional packaging, but Konami is not listed as a character credit.

As Baron Von Loathsome pointed out, there is a list of 3rd party guests focused on the back, but Snake is not mentioned at all.

Thanks to Tripon for packaging.
eShop version packaging. Notice the filesize info listed. 2.1. GB eh...so does that mean it is on a 2GB 3DS card or is it on a 4GB card and doing nothing with half the space (annoying if latter since I assume the music selection of 2 per stage is due to making it fit on 2GB)

Snake is probably cut, but this preorder card doesn't prove anything. Note the lack of a Shigesato Itoi credit.

A shame to see an entire franchise be given the boot (a first time in the series). Será, será.

And my friends, the lack of Shigesato Itoi/APE Inc in there means nothing:

Those credits are only there for confirmed playable characters.

Why should Snake be in if Kojima cant even be bothered to port the Fox Engine to Wii U?

The dude didnt even try on the console; he didnt even wait to see its sales.

Neiteio

Why should Snake be in if Kojima cant even be bothered to port the Fox Engine to Wii U?

The dude didnt even try on the console; he didnt even wait to see its sales.
To be fair, SSB4 began development shortly after MGS3D hit the 3DS. For Brawl on Wii, the most recent MGS title on a Nintendo system was... The Twin Snakes, on GameCube. And Snake was in Brawl despite the fact MGS4 was coming out mere months later on competing consoles.

I'm conflicted
+ Snake doesn't really belong in a game filled to the brim with Nintendo history and fanservice
- Dat moveset tho....

I was expecting him to be cut from the get-go but I'm still hoping Sami from Advance Wars is put in as a Snake clone but I highly doubt that would happen at this point.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Solid snake is one of the greatest video game characters ever. That being said MGS isn't on WiiU or associated with Nintendo at all so its understandable.

what?

mgs110.jpg

Sad Snake is gone :(
He has a rather robust history on Nintendo platforms.

Also, he was awesome to play as.

I assumed Snake wouldn't be back this time but I hoped that Simon Belmont would appear. Hopefully this isn't the final copyright list and my dreams can still come true.

The exclusion of Itoi is a bit peculiar though, especially considering the Mother items as others have pointed out.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Really didn't expect him to be in after Kojima's "if I wanted to make a Wii U game, it would have to be a unique one" B.S.

I wouldn't mind Snake being cut as much if he is replace by somebody else who plays similarly. He was REALLY fun to play as in Brawl. The mix of stealth/CQC and explosives was pretty great.

brinstar

It sucks that he's not in but I didn't expect him to carry over. It will give me a reason to revisit Brawl every once in a while.

Top Bottom