• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. 3DS : Sakurai explains why the Circle Pad Pro isn't supported

L~A

Comes from Famitsu magazine (probably his bi-weekly column) :

(What is the reason that the game supports the New 3DS' C-Stick, but not the Circle Pad Pro?)

"Supporting the CCP requires the use of some of the CPU's processing load. From the information received during the development of Kid Icarus: Uprising, this is a quite large load at around 5%. Kid Icarus: Uprising and Smash both use the maximum capability of the device, so we had to abandon the idea of CCP support.

With the New 3DS, we were able to support the C-Stick as the processing power is increased and it is not a peripheral device.

Source

Well, here goes the conspiracy theories, I guess.

A big thanks to StreetsAhead for the translation!

Except... you know, Kid Icarus supported Circle Pad Pro... come on, he should've said Amiibo, which was a better reason lol.

emb

Interesting technical bit. I wouldn't think there would be so much overhead to it. It's always nice to see that there actually is reason to some of the things that can seem like obvious oversights to us on the outside.

Busaiku

Kid Icarus Uprising uses the same amount of CPU?
It don't remember it taking as long to start/close, but it's been a bit.

Knew it was to do with processing power, and not having enough on the 3DS...and if it did have enough Ice Climbers would've still be in ;__;

backlot

Kid Icarus Uprising uses the same amount of CPU?
It don't remember it taking as long to start/close, but it's been a bit.

I think Smash might actually use more. Smash actually takes up the resources that are usually reserved for system functions like the web browser and Miiverse. I don't think Kid Icarus did that.

Interesting. I'd suggested it was because of the issues with having both the CCP and the Amiibo NFC scanner using the IR port (particularly that the CCP would both use it *and* block it from being used by anything else without removing the CCP) but I guess it's something a little more straightforward.

...I thought Kid Icarus used the CPP. Could've sworn I've seen some poster who gave up on the game gave it another shot with CPP.

L~A

Except... you know, Kid Icarus supported Circle Pad Pro... come on, he should've said Amiibo, which was a better reason lol.

KIU doesn't use the same amount of processing power as Smash.

Smash Bros. basically reboots the console into super-lite-OS mode at launch, in order for the game to have access to as much power as possible. It's the reason why Miiverse and the web browser don't work on the 3DS/3DS XL.

True, amiibo was another problem they had to deal with.

pdk27

Considering it appears that the demo almost does a soft reboot every time you exit out of it, I'm inclined to believe this.

backlot

...I thought Kid Icarus used the CPP. Could've sworn I've seen some poster who gave up on the game gave it another shot with CPP.

It did. I think what he was trying to say was that his experience using the CPP in Kid Icarus made him aware of how much CPU power it uses.

He's saying that he knew just how much resources the CPP took up when he worked on Kid Icarus, and realized that it was too much for Smash to spare.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the CCP support in KI:U just reversing the controls and not as a two-stick system. It's been a while.

Piers

I think Smash might actually use more. Smash actually takes up the resources that are usually reserved for system functions like the web browser and Miiverse. I don't think Kid Icarus did that.

I also swear the 3DS has to literally reset the system when closing the game, which is quite something.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Their still in... as New 3DS/Wii U exclusive. Now that would cause a shitstorm.
no it wouldn't, most people would rather have ice climbers as a platform exclusive than no ice climbers at all

L~A

I also swear the 3DS has to literally reset the system when closing the game, which is quite something.

Yeah, as explained a few posts ago by several people, Smash (and MH4, apparently) forces a soft-reboot of the 3DS in order to load a Super-Lite version of the OS.

It's actually not a first: there's various SP games that block wireless during play.

Smash is a more demanding than KI:U. I am surprised the way it runs to begin with to be honest.

Yeah, as explained a few posts ago by several people, Smash (and MH4, apparently) forces a soft-reboot of the 3DS in order to load a Super-Lite version of the OS.

It's actually not a first: there's various SP games that block wireless during play.
I know about the reseting as the demo did it to me but, what games blocked wireless communications? Only handheld game from both the 3DS and Vita that did that was Gravity Rush.

Murrah

Banned
Are you sure it's not because Sakurai is lazy? The Internet assures me of that being the case everytime Sakurai says anything people don't want to hear about Smash

Lunar15

The 3DS version is definitely gimped. Get it if you want portable smash. It's a faithful smash game, don't get me wrong, but if you're looking for bells and whistles, hold out for the Wii U version.

Dr. Buni

Sounds like bullshit to me. Either way, I never played Smash with the C-stick, so the lack of CPP support doesn't bother me.

Skilletor

Is there a way to play this with the dpad? Will the new 3DS allow that?

I haven't been keeping up with this game at all. Downloaded the demo and think the circle pad is atrocious for this game. I wanted to pick it up, but there's no way I'm paying money to play on the circle pad.

I haven't been keeping up with this game at all. Downloaded the demo and think the circle pad is atrocious for this game. I wanted to pick it up, but there's no way I'm paying money to play on the circle pad.
No. Why would you want to play with the dpad?

Lunar15

No, no dpad. The new 3DS will also not allow this.

I get the reason why you'd want it, but it wouldn't really helpful for tilts and smash attacks. Circle pad is definitely not optimal either.

L~A

Well... that's that.

5%? That sounds like a lot.

Well, the Circle Pad Pro works with the infra-red port. And it's not something that was planned from the start: it's more or less a "patch" rather than an actual solution to the lack of 2nd stick. No wonder it's not optimised and takes so much ressources.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Smash 3DS was the reason Nintendo decided to increase the specs of the console for the N3DS, instead of just adding a second stick.

Same for Miiverse: on 3DS, it runs rather poorly because it's not something planned from the start.

Sakujou

Banned
srsly? cant believe it. is smash really that demanding? and if yes, how many hours until the last drop of the battery is out of the system?

Exile20

Get the Wii U version.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
So so far we have:
-No CPP support because the 3DS couldn't handle it

-Some different stages because the 3DS couldn't handle it

-No Ice Climbers because the 3DS couldn't handle it

Gee I wonder what else they will reveal in the future they removed or not do because they had to compromise to fit the game on the 3DS.

Kinsei

Banned
Couldn't the graphics have been worse instead? It sucks that everyone with a new 3DS will have an advantage over people with the regular 3DS/XL.

I guess but I can't even imagine playing smash with a dpad.
One of my best friends played Brawl with the Wiimote sideways and said it was better than the GameCube controller.

To this day I don't know if he trolling me or not.

So so far we have:
-No CPP support because the 3DS couldn't handle it

-Some different stages because the 3DS couldn't handle it

-No Ice Climbers because the 3DS couldn't handle it

Gee I wonder what else they will reveal in the future they removed or not do because they had to compromise to fit the game on the 3DS.
Makes you wonder that if the 3DS version was designed to be for New3DS. Then Nintendo said " Make it work for current 3DS's it won't be out in time."

Nintendo really needs to keep power and function in mind for all new hardware there is no excuse to be the best selling portable but your gameplay suffers because of controls

Kid Icarus Uprising would have been on my top 3 favorite games if it controlled better I am still so needy for an HD port of that game

Couldn't the graphics have been worse instead? It sucks that everyone with a new 3DS will have an advantage over people with the regular 3DS/XL.

To he fair this is a smart way to sell the new system. They use all the processing power of the original 3DS but lose some if the extra functions. Most people won't care and those who do are pushed towards upgrading. I care as I have a CPP but I also have a Wii U so it's not too much of a problem for me.

Top Bottom