• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenix

Jiggy37 said:
I don't care too much what else they do with Smash Bros. 4, but they at least can't regress. I need my 300+ songs. :(

I'd never count on 300ish songs in any game ever again. Brawl is truly a once in a lifetime game (as per Sakurai) :p

Jiggy

Music gets its 26th update, and Thursday is now only tied with Monday for last place at three music updates each. Woo yeah, stats. >_>

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Jiggy37 said:
Music gets its 26th update, and Thursday is now only tied with Monday for last place at three music updates each. Woo yeah, stats. >_>

What! Jiggy, this is unacceptable! Maybe you're tired? You have been working really hard... Here, let me lend you a hand:

~~** Music gets its 26th update... it's been 19 whole updates without music until this point! Can you believe it? Woweee~! ^_^ I love music updates because the header is so delightfully purple because this game has such an amazing soundtrack! <3 <3 <3

~~**~~** Thursday-kun is now only tied with Monday-sama for last place at three music updates each. Keep trying Thursy, you can do it!!!! ^_^;;

~~**~~**~~** This update also has over twelve sentences! I think Sakurai might be going a little overboard, how about you??? Sakurai-sama can never go overboard, silly! I dunno... look how many tracks are in this game! It's crazy! Hai hai, but what about the Ballad of the Windfish song he cut out?! Huh, huh HUHUHUHUH?? You can't expect to have everything. -_-;

scottnak

MrCheez said:
What! Jiggy, this is unacceptable! Maybe you're tired? You have been working really hard... Here, let me lend you a hand:

~~** Music gets its 26th update... it's been 19 whole updates without music until this point! Can you believe it? Woweee~! ^_^ I love music updates because the header is so delightfully purple because this game has such an amazing soundtrack! <3 <3 <3

~~**~~** Thursday-kun is now only tied with Monday-sama for last place at three music updates each. Keep trying Thursy, you can do it!!!! ^_^;;

~~**~~**~~** This update also has over twelve sentences! I think Sakurai might be going a little overboard, how about you??? Sakurai-sama can never go overboard, silly! I dunno... look how many tracks are in this game! It's crazy! Hai hai, but what about the Ballad of the Windfish song he cut out?! Huh, huh HUHUHUHUH?? You can't expect to have everything. -_-;

... it's spreading. ^_... no!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only series that really got shafted musically were Yoshi and Mother.

Oh and I suppose FZero could have used some more cheestastic GX songs, but I think the lyrical cheesy Sega songs quota was met pretty well by Sonic.

My only other wish for music would have been unlocking an any music, any stage switcher when you had unlocked all stages and all songs.

Ydahs

Missed out on a few updates since my internet was capped.

I was never one to care too much about music but that list just sounds awesome.

Just realized the updates will be ending soon. Now what am I going to do before this game reaches Australia? :(

Man I really have to thank Sakurai for including so much amazing music in this game! :D I agree with everyone who says we may never see anything like this in any video game again. Not even Smash Bros. 4...

KingDirk

Man God said:
The only series that really got shafted musically were Yoshi and Mother.

Oh and I suppose FZero could have used some more cheestastic GX songs, but I think the lyrical cheesy Sega songs quota was met pretty well by Sonic.

My only other wish for music would have been unlocking an any music, any stage switcher when you had unlocked all stages and all songs.

Agree with you about Yoshi, and my understanding about Mother is that they had a wealth of good songs to choose from, but holy shit all of the songs they included (barring, maybe, "Porky's Theme") are fantastic. The Mother 3 Love Theme and "You Call This a Utopia?!" in particular are transcendant.

Jiggy

I can't rail on the Yoshi selection too much, but that's only because Yoshi's Island itself is right up there somewhere in my top three pieces in this game. Never fails to make me smile.

(Top three are, in some order, Yoshi's Island, Mario Tennis/Golf, and Corneria. Most of the really great pieces in this game have portions of excellence--see With Mila's Divine Protection, or Waluigi Pinball--but those have a top-notch enjoyability at literally every second. King Dedede's Theme and Meta Knight's Revenge also have that magnificent consistency, but I'd put them just below the other three.)

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
A lot of my favourite composers did work on the Kirby songs, which probably explains why Kirby has my favourite selection of music in this entire game. Seriously, Yoko Shimomura did King Dedede's theme? "Hip" Tanaka did the Squeak Squad battle theme? Mitsuda did the Marx theme? I didn't actually know this before, and it explains why the Kirby songs were so full of victory and win. :O

I just wish a wider variety of musicians had taken a crack at the bountiful awesome Mother material. Still, I'm not complaining about the quality of the music that is there. Not one bit. I love every last Mother song used, even Pokey's Theme (Porky be damned, he's Pokey to me), which seems to be the least popular of the Mother songs remixed. The Love Theme and Snowman are just spectacular to listen to and A Smashing Song of Praise is the very definition of catchy.

nutron

Hey there. This is Nate from the Treehouse at NOA. You may remember me from such classics as That One Demo In San Francisco and The Screenshot That Angered Smashboards.

Anyway, it’s general policy that we don’t post on message boards, but with the end drawing near for the Dojo, I got some special dispensation. I was going to post this several places, but since all roads lead to GAF anyway—and since this thread is of such legendary size—I decided this might as well be the only spot.

Anyway, as some of you know, we’ve been working on Brawl with Sakurai-san and his team for several years now, and the Dojo itself for almost a year. Needless to say it’s been a ton of work, though nothing compared to what Sora pulled off, obviously. That said, it’s been a labor of love, and its coming end seems sort of sad. I can’t tell you how many nights I stayed up until Japan Time, knowing what morsel of delectable information was about to be served up and relishing every bit of anticipation from you guys. It really made all the work worthwhile, and I wanted to thank you die-hards that have been around for it all.

I also figured this would be a good spot to ask a favor. Now, I don’t know how many of you guys download daily stages and snapshots from the Smash Service, but for those that do… Look, sorting through 10,000 submissions every week is fun and all, but it breaks my heart to have to ditch some amazing stage because it had an extra-raunchy title. There’s some incredible creativity on display that I’d love to share with the rest of the Smash community, but a little restraint in the naming conventions will go a long way. Yes, we all know it’s hilarious when Diddy Kong goes to town on somebody’s face—I feel that the snapshot medium is also ready for some fresh ideas. Spread the word if you can.

So… Yeah. Have fun with the last seven or so updates. And when the gray day of reckoning comes and Sporsk approaches, pillow in hand, to gently smother this thread at last, do not weep! Smile, because Smash endures, and it is good.

Thanks again, guys.

MisterHero

nutron said:
Hey there. This is Nate from the Treehouse at NOA. You may remember me from such classics as That One Demo In San Francisco and The Screenshot That Angered Smashboards.

Anyway, it’s general policy that we don’t post on message boards, but with the end drawing near for the Dojo, I got some special dispensation. I was going to post this several places, but since all roads lead to GAF anyway—and since this thread is of such legendary size—I decided this might as well be the only spot.

Anyway, as some of you know, we’ve been working on Brawl with Sakurai-san and his team for several years now, and the Dojo itself for almost a year. Needless to say it’s been a ton of work, though nothing compared to what Sora pulled off, obviously. That said, it’s been a labor of love, and its coming end seems sort of sad. I can’t tell you how many nights I stayed up until Japan Time, knowing what morsel of delectable information was about to be served up and relishing every bit of anticipation from you guys. It really made all the work worthwhile, and I wanted to thank you die-hards that have been around for it all.

I also figured this would be a good spot to ask a favor. Now, I don’t know how many of you guys download daily stages and snapshots from the Smash Service, but for those that do… Look, sorting through 10,000 submissions every week is fun and all, but it breaks my heart to have to ditch some amazing stage because it had an extra-raunchy title. There’s some incredible creativity on display that I’d love to share with the rest of the Smash community, but a little restraint in the naming conventions will go a long way. Yes, we all know it’s hilarious when Diddy Kong goes to town on somebody’s face—I feel that the snapshot medium is also ready for some fresh ideas. Spread the word if you can.

So… Yeah. Have fun with the last seven or so updates. And when the gray day of reckoning comes and Sporsk approaches, pillow in hand, to gently smother this thread at last, do not weep! Smile, because Smash endures, and it is good.

Thanks again, guys.

:lol :lol :lol

Rock on man.

I love you too, but where's EarthBound?

Eitherway, you rock. Keep up the good work. :)

Fenix

Hey Nate,

No need to thank us, we should be thanking you for the great update text every day of the week for (almost) the last year. We really appreciate your work, and thanks for the advice too.

I'm going to throw in the obligatory "WHERE IS EARTHBOUND!?" complaint as well.

But, your post is appreciated. We all already know it, but you're just reminding us about how much time and effort you put into this game.

Have fun with those daily submissions. :lol :lol

dallow_bg

nods at old men
nutron said:

Thanks again, guys.
Thank you so, so, so, so, so, much.

Jiggy

That post is definitely going in the quote collection. :O
Also, we can now say that we converted "Japan Time" into an official Nintendo term. Yeah, baby. :D

Iam Canadian

*Gasp!* Someone from the inside!

First of all, thank you for consistently providing superb translations for Sakurai's masterful site updates. You did the Smash community a great service.

I feel compelled to ask why the Earthbound demo was removed from Brawl, though. I know that you probably can't answer this question even if you wanted to, but I just have to throw it out there. My reputation as a Mother fanatic demands nothing less.

Haha thank you Nate! It will take at least a year for me to even wrap my head around this game or its characters. And the Dojo work was much much appreciated!

MrCheez

nutron said:

Thanks again, guys.

Wow! Assuming you really are who you say you are... it's pretty awesome to see you post here.

This thread kind of became it's own sub-community on GAF, and I feel like we've been together following the Dojo updates for years. :lol I don't even want to think about the hours upon hours of time that many of us dedicated to our Dojo obsession. :)

So there really isn't much to say other than thanks for all your hard work! The Dojo was amazing (and hilarious), and of course the game is amazing.

I still think it's so awesome to have NOA employees lurking GAF. :lol I bet you had a lot of fun reading about all of our woefully inaccurate predictions... (did you enjoy the Megaman ban bets?)

So anyway... is there a company policy in place that prevents you from exchanging your Wifi Friend Code for some friendly brawling? :D

Jiggy

On the off-chance that Nate both 1) knows anything about this and 2) would respond even if he did... Does the fact that some of the currently Japan-only games like Card Hero have received English titles for the stickers and trophies in Brawl mean that those games are being considered for localization? >_>

nutron said:
That said, it’s been a labor of love, and its coming end seems sort of sad. I can’t tell you how many nights I stayed up until Japan Time, knowing what morsel of delectable information was about to be served up and relishing every bit of anticipation from you guys. It really made all the work worthwhile, and I wanted to thank you die-hards that have been around for it all.
Thank you Nate! :D

Kreed

WiiRevolution1 said:
Hey guys relax Nintendo would be a fool to not mke a Smash 4 and so on and its so blantly obvious that a Smash 4 is coming.

Sakurai isn't saying that there won't be another Smash title, he's saying that we may not get this same collection of songs/composers in a future game (particularly songs from Sega and Konami). The same can be said with the characters as well.

Iam Canadian

It wouldn't surprise me if Snake came back for the fourth game since he got in because Kojima wanted him anyway.

I'd say Sonic is more of a wildcard since we have no idea what kind of deal Nintendo made with SEGA to get him into the game.

MrCheez

I fear we are going to have a long wait until the next Smash sequel... regardless of how well Brawl sells.

Melee was the highest selling GameCube game ever... and look how long it took before development on Brawl even started. o.o Not to mention that at this point, the series would probably have to proceed without Sakurai's involvement :(

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Don't even think about a new Smash for the next 3 years.
Then you can start wishing for it...

And btw, the new Smash just hit the shelves with a crapton of content so maybe try enjoying this one for now, what do you say?

Jiggy

MrCheez said:
I fear we are going to have a long wait until the next Smash sequel... regardless of how well Brawl sells.

Melee was the highest selling GameCube game ever... and look how long it took before development on Brawl even started. o.o Not to mention that at this point, the series would probably have to proceed without Sakurai's involvement :(
Maybe they could just not touch the current characters (except for the part where they nerf Ike really heavily and make him stop saying "I fight for my friends"), and then only introduce a minimal number of new ones. And leave the items and whatnot, so that balance isn't screwed up.

And also do those things that I would want for a theoretical Smash Bros. Brawl Deluxe Edition, like the 256-friend roster, loads of alternate outfits for everybody, Subspace Emissary backgrounds usable in Stage Builder, and yeah. >_>

People would probably complain that they didn't change enough, though, but I wouldn't be one of them.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Wow. I hadn't posted in this topic for too long now (especially since I went and imported the game OH NO DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO THIS NATE :( )

Thank you for all your hard work on the Dojo. That has been without doubt the most entertaining, insightful and downright fascinating way to hype a game. Judging by the record breaking sales figures it seems to be obtaining, it has worked tremendously!

I know you probably don't want to wait for another Japan Time in your life after this, but can we expect to see something similar for other future Nintendo games? It's a great way to hype the games (you only need to look at how immense this topic has gotten as proof of that - it has more pages than 99% of threads in this forum have actual posts) and gives the fans something to talk about.

Once again, thanks for all the hard work, it has paid off beautifully and given us all a fun year's worth of updates.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
nutron said:
Hey there.

Earthbound, SD cards VC/Wiivare play, proper Wii Tennis/Baseball/Boxing whatever etc etc..

Thanks you so much man, your and your buddies' hard work has been very much appreciated even by 30 somethings -once hardcore now casual gamer- like myself... go figure! :)

Jiggy37 said:
Maybe they could just not touch the current characters (except for the part where they nerf Ike really heavily and make him stop saying "I fight for my friends"), and then only introduce a minimal number of new ones. And leave the items and whatnot, so that balance isn't screwed up.

And also do those things that I would want for a theoretical Smash Bros. Brawl Deluxe Edition, like the 256-friend roster, loads of alternate outfits for everybody, Subspace Emissary backgrounds usable in Stage Builder, and yeah. >_>
Also playable bosses (Ridley and
Tabuu
), and call it 'Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Championship Edition'! :D

GamerSoul

Dash Kappei said:
Don't even think about a new Smash for the next 3 years.
Then you can start wishing for it...

And btw, the new Smash just hit the shelves with a crapton of content so maybe try enjoying this one for now, what do you say?

Smash DS plz.

Ydahs

nutron said:

Thanks again, guys.
You're the Dojo translator? Dude, you're awesome. Great work you've done this past year.

Firestorm

nutron said:

Thanks again, guys.

Ok... soooo like all the times the update went up right on something we were discussing. Coincidence right? I'm assuming these were done in advance.

If not. You got us good. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom