• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Pro's Tournament Victory Speech Calls Out Nintendo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makonero

Juan “Hungrybox” Debiedma had just come off a long tournament run of beating some of the best in Super Smash Bros. Melee when he took to the stage for a winner’s interview. Debiedma used the opportunity to hold an impassioned rally for the grassroots that makes Smash happen, with choice words for a “certain company.”

Coming off a strenuous grand finals at Smash ‘N’ Splash 3, his opponent from the loser’s bracket, William “Leffen” Hjelte, took him to the final set, where Debiedma secured a 3-1 win. It was a late night in the Wisconsin Dells, and when he took the stage, Debiedma had some things to say about the Smash community.

Riling up the crowd further, Debiedma calls out the lack of support the game has supposedly received from its publisher. Nintendo doesn’t support the Smash scene like other publishers (Capcom, for instance) do, and even creator Masahiro Sakurai has been slow to accept his game has a competitive following.

“A certain company that acknowledges us but refuses to push us, I hope you’re listening right now, because I want you to hear this,” said Debiedma. “I want you to hear the amount of people who support this league, the amount of people who want this to be a lifestyle for people. This is not just a video game, this is a lifestyle.”

More here

Watch the speech here:
https://clips.twitch.tv/EasyFaithfulKangarooWOOP
https://clips.twitch.tv/CourageousScrumptiousDoveDBstyle

Nintendo will never acknowledge the Melee community. I think it's time to move past that.

conpfreak

Sakurai and Nintendo have moved on from Melee. They should too. Don't expect anything Melee related from them other than a Virtual Console release. There are two new entries in the series after Melee. Let it go and support your own community.

LotusHD

Banned
"This is not just a video game, this is a lifestyle.”

cringe.gif

Nintendo could capitalize on Melee with an HD port or a sequel that actually builds upon the gameplay instead of just lowering the skill ceiling.

There's really nothing wrong with what he says but I feel like this thread is just gonna turn into an echo chamber of "DAE hate competitive/Melee/tournament players?!?!" or "move on already!"

It's disappointing that NIntendo doesn't really give Melee the time of day. Of course it's an old game but it brings in large crowds/viewership.

TylerStar

Neo Member
With the attitude the melee community has you can't really blame Nintendo for not wanting to be associated. Also the fact you don't see other companies supporting their older entries, that's why you see Street Fighter V and Tekken 7 not the ones that came out 16 years ago.

I'm a little confused about what he wants exactly? They don't really need Nintendo's acknowledgement, they got this far on their own. :V

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
He would have a point if he were talking about Smash 4. Just accept what Melee is.
It's disappointing that NIntendo doesn't really push the E-Sports aspect of their games. I can see where HBOX is coming from.
This completely ignores how they are treating Splatoon and Arms

Robin64

What's he actually asking for? Nintendo released the game 16 years ago, it's up to these guys if they still want to play it, I don't see why Nintendo need to be involved in anything there.

NSESN

Nintendo is business not charity. They won't support a game they don't sell anymore. Specially when they are releasing a new fighring game in 2 weeks.

Nintendo has no vested interest in supporting a 16 year old game that is unavailable officially on modern platforms for sale. There is no benefit to them pushing Melee when they can push Smash 4 or the next Smash. Asking them to do so is, frankly, unrealistic.

Ridley327

It's disappointing that NIntendo doesn't really push the E-Sports aspect of their games, especially a game as big as Melee. I can see where HBOX is coming from.

Aren't they literally hosting two big tournaments at E3 this year for Arms and Splatoon 2?

Bog

Junior Ace
He's calling out the company after playing a 16 year old game of theirs. I think he's the one with the issues.

Berordn

Nintendo doesn't even support Smash 4, or not that much

Nintendo supported Smash 4 for a pretty long time (or at least paid for Namco-Bandai to support it with oversight). Not sure what else can be expected of them now that the company as a whole moved on from that platform.

Smash is in the weird place of not necessarily being seen as a fighting game first by Nintendo like Capcom's games are. They may benefit from supporting SF for perpetuity, but Nintendo's probably more interested in the crossover potential.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I mean Nintendo doesn't push the Mario Party scene either so I don't know what they're expecting. Free balloons and cake?

Already commented this same thing on that news artcile but godness gracious, you are asking for Nintendo to support your 16 years old "lifestyle".

Geez, try asking for a unicorn to Gabe Newell next time.

He would have a point if he were talking about Smash 4. Just accept what Melee is.

This completely ignores how they are treating Splatoon and Arms

You're right, bad wording on my part. It's disappointing that they basically ignore Melee though, given how big it is.

With the attitude the melee community has you can't really blame Nintendo for not wanting to be associated. Also the fact you don't see other companies supporting their older entries, that's why you see Street Fighter V and Tekken 7 not the ones that came out 16 years ago.

Again

Nintendo doesn't even support Smash 4 or not that much (even for tournament like EVO they almost do nothing for the community)

The whole "well, people should just move on from Melee already!" thing gets to me because, when you think about it, they really don't have anything to move on to. Brawl and Smash 4 play radically different from Melee. That is why the fanbase has been split in two.

I still think if Nintendo/Sakurai/whatever just made a new Smash Bros. game that retained most of the cast from Smash 4, but changed the core gameplay to become the true successor to Melee's fast paced and technical gameplay, both camps would be satisfied and we'd finally be under one flag again, like every other fighting game series.

In other words, don't blame Melee's community for not moving on, guys. Blame it on Nintendo and Sakurai for not producing a proper followup to to their game, gameplay wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom