• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Season One |OT| A show about a hit musical on a network with no hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delio

I want to like both of them, but Ivy is getting worse while Karen seems to be getting better. It doesn't help that Ivy's mood changes on a dime either...

Ivy: "I'M SO MAD AT YOU DOUCHE DIRECTOR FOR FLIRTING WITH OTHER WOMEN."

Douche Director: "Let's have sex."

Ivy: "Okay~" *giggle*

Yeah I hate this. It makes her seem like such a simpleton :/

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Definitely a better episode this week than last. I still don't care for any of the original music, and it's not good at doing camp or drama, but until the next season of Game of Thrones hits, Smash is fun enough.

Tom's potential boyfriend is hot.

He and Karen's boyfriend are really the only reasons I'm watching anymore.

He and Karen's boyfriend are really the only reasons I'm watching anymore.

*high five*

Raza Jaffrey is a revelation. I'm really hoping they don't go down the super predictable route of strain on Dev & Karen's relationship due them being too busy for each other.

But really, what else could they do in TV land? Have a supporting and healthy relationship that stays strong through tribulations? HA!

royalan

Just finished the episode. Much much better than that atrocity from last week. It seems like they're finally narrowing in on the main plot, and Julia's family was nowhere to be seen, which is great.

I still don't get what people get out of Karen, though. Ivy's bitchy side did come out in a big way this episode, but like it or not at least she's developing. Karen, on the other hand, is still a complete Mary Sue. She's just perfect and naive and never wants to do anything wrong and everyone roots for her undeniable talent (despite the fact that her wafer thin vocals wouldn't go over on a Broadway stage AT ALL). The evil director has a total crush on her, her super supportive big-shot boyfriend just wants to love and support her financially, and anybody who doesn't like her is just jealous and gets over it eventually. It would have been nice if she started gaining some ground by growing a sense of agency and demanding some respect through kicking ass, but noooo. My roommates and I gagged when her big moment was basically whining, calling everyone a bunch of big meanies, and yelling that they should be "helping" her. No! In a real life professional/competitive environment she would have been laughed out of town for showing such paper-thin skin. You don't have to be the cliche bitch who sleeps with the director in order to make it, but you definitely have to be a lot stronger than they're making Karen.

I'm sorry, I just can't with this bitch. She's a stock character. The dime-a-dozen good girl, and so far they aren't even trying to make her more than that. Everything Karen-related was the worst part of this episode for me.

I guess I prefer Ivy Lynn because her struggle to make it on Broadway just rings as a lot more true to life. The rejection, the insecurities, the years of doing bit parts wondering if you're ever going to be good enough, it all just makes Ivy feel real. The last scene was a great example of displaying all of Ivy's barely concealed fears. It was also obvious that she realized while looking out the window that she did sleep with Derek for the part, as much as she wanted to believe there was more to it.

Anyway, enough ranting.

Favorite parts of the episode:

--Again, the musical numbers. I really want the cast recording for Marilyn because so far every number from the musical has been great. Megan Hilty absolutely rocked "I Never Met a Wolf Who Didn't Love to Howl". I wanted to hear "History is Made at Night" in its entirety. The one time this Karen didn't annoy the hell out of me this episode was while doing "Rumor Has It".

--I'm really interested in seeing how Michael and Julia play out. I mean, they've made it obvious what's going to happen, but the actors are playing it well.

--Eileen is finally starting to get interesting. Had some pretty decent scenes. But I would like to see her actually doing the work to produce the musical without constantly be roadblocked by her divorce. I hope now that she's got the workshop funded we can move on to her doing something else.

ivysaur12

Banned
Dipped again, I imagine.

But do think NBC is actually gonna move the show or something? It's not the hit they wanted, but it's still doing better than 90% of their shows.

They'll renew it and trim the budget. Taking out the gratuitous location shots in Manhattan should clear at least a quarter million an episode.

I'm sure they'll either move where they shoot (maybe to Stamford with the new CT tax credits that gives them access to NYC, or LA...) or cut back on location shots (and a cast member or two).

They have a $3 million+ budget per episode, which is a little too high. They can make the show profitable in the 2-2.5 million range at this point.

Watched it, still disliked it (even though it was better). It might be a fun if you like Broadway, but I have an aversion to all forms of musicals. And it's really not that we'll written. So, yeah.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Decent episode. Joe Jonas' character was shit and 'Rumor Has It' wasn't very good, but on the bright side Deborah Messing's family was absent and Anjelica Huston didn't toss any martinis at anyone.

good god the gay guy in her new friend circle is hawt.

He was pretty cute.

Zoe

Okay, what's the deal with the shadow on the framing? I noticed this last week, but it seems to be even more pronounced this week.

Delio

Lord this episode was all about the romance huh? Also how the hell is that black guy gay but the super femmy assistant isn't *Falls over*. Um oh anyways I loved the "Let's be Bad" number. Really had me going from beginning to end.

Also Tom and his new man are so cute together. I want more of them and less of the son who smokes plz.

I still cannot comprehend how the actor who plays the teenage son got cast. Good god.

Non-jukebox musical numbers are still the best part, though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The son is sooo awful. Urgh. And of course he saw his mom and Michael kiss.

Does anyone else think that Michael is a bit of a dick? He has a wife and kid, but as soon as he sees his ex he immediately goes after her. At least Julia tried to resist her feelings for a while.

Um oh anyways I loved the "Let's be Bad" number. Really had me going from beginning to end.

Agreed. I was pretty impressed by that number. Ivy Lynn is such a great choice for Marilyn; she's got the look, the voice, the mannerisms, etc. down pat. I can't imagine Karen topping her. I mean, she has a good voice, obviously, but it doesn't really suit a Marilyn type.

royalan

Does anyone else think that Michael is a bit of a dick? He has a wife and kid, but as soon as he sees his ex he immediately goes after her. At least Julia tried to resist her feelings for a while.

In the middle of the episode now, but I've been thinking this since last episode.

What was the point of the writers introducing Michael as the doting family man if they were going to make him so focused on rekindling his romance with Julia? There seems to be no internal struggle at all; every scene they have together his expression just screams "why aren't we fucking?" It just makes him an asshole, which is obviously not the show's intention.

I keep thinking this show is going to switch to Karen playing the Norma Jean fresh off the bus part and then Ivy Lynn playing the all grown up Marilyn part. Acts I and II. Tailor made for their personalities.

Delio

I keep thinking this show is going to switch to Karen playing the Norma Jean fresh off the bus part and then Ivy Lynn playing the all grown up Marilyn part. Acts I and II. Tailor made for their personalities.

If the show doesn't end like this I will die.

BluWacky

Oh, this show. This show.

I work in musical theatre, so I have to roll my eyes at some of the ridiculous things they try and sell to a layman audience ($200 a week for an Equity workshop is illegal! The idea that Karen has no idea what a dance class is or how to be in an ensemble despite being a trained MT performer!). Plus, it's not the most consistent of shows - anything to do with Ellis is immensely irritating; the Chinese baby plot needs to be shoved straight to the background; every show needs more Brian D'Arcy James and his incredible eyebrows - and the third episode was truly terrible.

Yet... I still really like it. The production numbers are great. The acting's generally pretty good (the son was better this week, and Katherine McPhee has really grown on me although I wish she didn't always have to sing pop numbers as she did a really good job on 20th Century Fox Mambo). When the writing IS good, it's very good. And there's loads of great Broadway performers getting some good TV exposure without having to be a murderer on Law and Order or a one-minute bit part in 30 Rock. There are many, MANY positives.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
In the middle of the episode now, but I've been thinking this since last episode.

What was the point of the writers introducing Michael as the doting family man if they were going to make him so focused on rekindling his romance with Julia? There seems to be no internal struggle at all; every scene they have together his expression just screams "why aren't we fucking?" It just makes him an asshole, which is obviously not the show's intention.

Yeah, you're right. It doesn't seem like it's the show's intention to make him a douchebag, but that's certainly the way he comes off. Perhaps they'll tone him down in later episodes.

Karen doesn't make a good Marilyn at all. If they get a second season, the writers should find her another musical to star in that's better suited to her talents.

Tuck

I hate the affair plot line. I hate it with every fiber of my being. I hate it more than the Ellis storyline. I can't stand it, and it is really impacting my enjoyment of the show.

The other OT should probably be locked.

royalan

Just found out that the role of Ivy's mom is being played by Bernadette Peters.

Bernadette "Boss Bitch" Peters.

#ICANT

Lear

She's going to play Eliza Doolittle in the My Fair Lady revival they mentioned a while ago.

Katherine McPhee trying to hit the last note in I Could Have Danced All Night would be comedy gold.

Just found out that the role of Ivy's mom is being played by Bernadette Peters.

Bernadette "Boss Bitch" Peters.
My queen! She needs at least two songs in every episode she's in or I will write letters of complaint.

I've heard that she's playing her as
the jaded showbiz mother who never made it big on Broadway so takes it out on her daughter. So Mama Rose, basically.

Delio

Just one thing to say before I give my thoughts on the whole episode later. I HATE the Micheal dude. He's just completely slimey. I mean threatening to tell everyone just because he cant get his way. Omg he'd be fired like now.

royalan

Watching the episode now. About halfway through. Oh - Ivy's in her bedroom, music is starting...this should be go-

OMG WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS TERRIBLE SCENE!?!?

Full thoughts later. I just had to pause and vomit that out...

Delio

Watching the episode now. About halfway through. Oh - Ivy's in her bedroom, music is starting...this should be go-

Full thoughts later. I just had to pause and vomit that out...

Lord that scene was like "Wat?" This episode was full of wat.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
"You're bad at cooking, that's why I asked for cereal." You're what, 16/17? And you asked your mom for cereal?

Fuck me, I need to start skipping any and all scenes with the son. I can't take any more of his bullshit.

And why was Julia covered in flour from head to toe? Unless you're making the pancake batter in a tornado, that shouldn't happen.

Michael is so slimy. I hate that the show seems to be glorifying the fact that he doesn't give a single fuck about his wife and child; He only cares about being with Julia. Oooohhh how romantic. Julia was at least conflicted for a while, until his magic penis made her forget about her family.

Someone needs to GIF the audience during the scene from the Bar Mitzvah where Karen is performing "Shake It Out". It's like a horrible extended version of:

4ZUIh.gif

Everything was wrong with that scene. The single, stage-y angle, the horrible lighting and the constant editing. And the cover wasn't any good either.

Delio

It's a shame this episode didn't make me feel anything but rage. I care nothing Micheal's terrible self I HOPE he loses his family and hits the streets. Only thing I really liked was any scene with Tom. I swear he's the shining light of the show and is such a good friend to people.

OH and Anjelica's char. I loved seeing her slum it up and have such fun doing it. Ivy seemed a tad more human today but I want to say it's Tom making he seem that way.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's a shame this episode didn't make me feel anything but rage. I care nothing Micheal's terrible self I HOPE he loses his family and hits the streets. Only thing I really liked was any scene with Tom. I swear he's the shining light of the show and is such a good friend to people.

OH and Anjelica's char. I loved seeing her slum it up and have such fun doing it. Ivy seemed a tad more human today but I want to say it's Tom making he seem that way.

Agreed. Tom is the only tolerable male on this show. Every other guy fits into one of three categories: sleazy as hell, cardboard cutout, or insufferably stupid.

And while it is funny to see Anjelica Huston play Big Game Hunter at a bar, I can't help but feel that she's being underutilized. She just sort of acts silly and throws martinis.

Michael and Director Douche are awful, awful people. Why do people feed into their creepy, manipulative behavior? Plus the shirt scene between Michael and Julia was the unsexiest "sexy" scene I've seen in a long time. The wide angle shot of Julia's unfortunate pants and slowly panning up their weirdly intertwined bodies? No thanks.

Give your freaking head a shake Julia, and if that doesn't work, do it again.

Agreed. Tom is the only tolerable male on this show. Every other guy fits into one of three categories: sleazy as hell, cardboard cutout, or insufferably stupid.
What about Dev and John? I need more of them.

I really hope Tom is not going to hook up with Sam. The whole "look how straight acting he is because he like sports" about Sam is so silly. And they have as much chemistry as as Ivy & Director Douche, which is to say, none at all. Tom & John all the way. (Though I think Tom is treating John horribly, while he's been nothing but generous and gracious with him.)

Oh, I know this was from last week, but when Ivy screeched "I'm an adult!!!" at Karen, I rolled my eyes so hard I saw my cerebral cortex.

Another really, really, REALLY horrible episode. I realize that we need a villain, but I think Derek serves the purpose pretty well and would keep the focus on the show.

The assistant is an ass. I guess I don't mind him being a spy, provided they don't get too much more into his character. I don't want to see him with his gf or hear about how put-off he is that this was his idea, blah blah blah. Just do some spying but otherwise shut up.

Michael is a hateful sack of shit and he's making me hate Julia as well.

I guess I don't get where this show is going. More scenes with Julia and Tom building the songs for the show, less scenes of Julia's terribad family. Kill the Michael/Julia fling thing, because you've basically made us hate your characters.

Glee has already started down the rat hole where they lost viewers because of the ridiculous drama outside of the good musical numbers. This show didn't learn from that. I want more of the musical numbers and less of the really really stupid drama that makes me want to change the channel.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Musical stuff was good, everything else was bleh.

I'm hoping that Michael is gone from the musical for good, but that would be too good to be true.

Yeah, I hope Michael is really gone. He's a straight up stalker.

Tom treats John like crap. EVERY SINGLE CONVERSATION between them he finds some excuse to bail out or drag him somewhere. Seems like he's only interested in him when he can help get his BFF's kid out of jail or when he gets complemented. Then he just moons over Sam who is SO STRAIGHT. OMG, I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW STRAIGHT HE IS! (And I swear he already had that convo with Ivy. Some sort of continuity error, or do you need to tell Tom something five times before he believes you?) I want John to stick around, but Tom doesn't deserve him.

Also, does Ellis just burrow into crevasses and wait for people to say something incriminating. He's freaking everywhere! So awful. I hope Eileen has him euthanized.

Also, :lol @ Ivy's continued wishy-washiness.

Ivy: "I refuse to take this much medication."

BERNADETTE: "You're ugly, or something."

Ivy: *Downs sleeping pills*

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
NBC renews Smash for season 2

Broadway vet Theresa Rebeck will not be returning as showrunner. Rebeck will retain her executive producer title, but step away from the day-to-day operations to return to her theater roots. There is no word yet on who might take over the reins for Season 2.

Smash‘s Season 2 order is for at least 15 episodes, says a network source.

Delio

Jesus this entire episode drove me up a wall. I don't even know how to feel about It either. Well I will say Ellis is such a fucking weasel and why are they still pushing that he is straight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom