• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Ultimate outselling Street Fighter II.

Bodatan

Banned
Nah its more like comparing GT sport with mario kart. You could but why the hell would you.
Why not the gameplay design and structure are similar that was focusing in racing. Why would they be any different? Sounds like a certain set of nerd unhappy about their games getting outsold by another games.

Dada55000

Improved in a way that had input lag issues at launch and now has better input lag than basicaclly all their direct competitors. Had connection issues, matchmaking issues and other server issues at launch that have been fixed. Added 22 characters (more coming next week/month), a ton of stages, costumes and colors. In addition to the MK-like story mode added the biggest ever arcade mode ever with 6 paths (SF1, SF Alpha, SF2, SF3, SFIV, SFV, each path with an different ending for every character in addition to more than 500 unlockable illustrations for the artwork gallery), remade their survival mode improving the issues it had, added weekly missions and weekly challenges to unlock some extra costume for free, added a customizable dojo stage and many other things.

Soon they will also add an online Tournament mode that it's going to be the most ambitious and most complete in FGC history.
Oh no the biggest arcade mode ever, is that a threat? Arcade mode is a terrible legacy game mode and its inclusion is as token as it gets, but thing about it is that is so cheap and easy to make, that it is embarrassing if you don't have it. Because it means you literally don't give enough of a shit to put in bare minimum effort. You don't get asspats for including it in your game. Oh yeah, it's the biggest arcade mode, wow they spent an extra 2 minutes making it, and then bounced it off to the artist that wants to kill himself now that his workload quadrupled. Hence me saying how fucking embarrassing it was that they released a new version of the game, just because they shat out an arcade mode. Brag about the amount of JPGs, ok boomer. '98 called, he's not impressed.

Story mode is the cheapest and shittiest knockoff of a NR story mode there is. Again you don't get to brag when the quality is rancid dogshit. Improved survival mode, it's not as big a pile of shit now, ringing endorsement. Content in SFV is crap, has all the checkmarks, but no quality, no effort or money put into it to make it not an afterthought that exists only to get the checkmark. They reached the esteemed level of D-, bare minimum, aka fucking garbage. Amazing achievement, had to pull teeth to get there.

Beyond that, bug fixes and some menial quality of life additions, alongside live service cheap time wasting rat machine bullshit. Epic selling points.

Bodatan

Banned
Is there any other fighting game has a potential to surpass smash commercially?

At this rate smash would be undisputed king of fighting game. Congrats in advance Sakurai.

93xfan

Banned
Is there any other fighting game has a potential to surpass smash commercially?

At this rate smash would be undisputed king of fighting game. Congrats in advance Sakurai.

You’re right. This is a thread celebrating Smash’s achievements. The greivers can keep crying and using odd analogies. Notice they rarely if ever use any specific arguments? Nothing will change their mind or mine, so I’ll just ignore them.

Besides, I used to feel like them before I played countless hours trying to beat my friend on Battlefield.

93xfan

Banned
It took them 6 games to outsell a game from 1991. Congrats.

And it’s sold better than every other fighting game ever. Congrats indeed.
Pro tip: Don’t ignore the OP and don’t come into a celebration thread just to be salty.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
It's not news but still relevant: Ultimate set new EVO viewership records this year, with its top 8 as the most-viewed event in EVO history.

MagnesG

Banned
It only depends on Nintendo now whether or not they want to double down more on esports. I do hope they more competitive soon.

Unless you're including Turbo and Super which are different games, or remasters that came out after the SNES, SFII wasn't the best selling fighting game by a long shot.

Also, water drunken in a desert will make water taste better than if you drank it while hydrated.

Top Bottom