• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Pichu got in, nobody would ever be able to make the excuse that "boring" clone vets shouldn't be DLC, like they were arguing for Roy.

Because Pichu is the last clone

Ditto is a great idea, too bad it allows you to sample DLC characters in online modes.

I doubt this is any real issue. You can play on DLC levels online with no issue if you don't own them.

Also, was Professor Layton just leaked by his voice actor?

- IMDB edited to say Layton's actor is in Smash a couple months ago
- Someone tweets him asking
- He replies it's fake right after (back in July).
- He replies to that same question again today, except this time, saying he IS in Smash after his last recording session.
- He replies to another question about it with the same updated answer.
- He locks his account down completely.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I honestly can't see Layton being there as the Level 5 representative. Not just because of the moveset potential, but because I see Level 5 pushing another character.

If Pichu got in, nobody would ever be able to make the excuse that "boring" clone vets shouldn't be DLC, like they were arguing for Roy.

I doubt this is any real issue. You can play on DLC levels online with no issue if you don't own them.

- He replies to that same question again today, except this time, saying he IS in Smash after his last recording session.
Time to make the thread, someone who isn't me.

Neoxon

I just heard from RogersBase. Though I don't think he'd be as flat-out about it if Layton was actually in.

Is his twitter more likely to be edited by photoshop? I meant it's only a guy that reported the incident.
Shopping one Twitter account is easy, but there's an entire conversation going on there. If you click on any of the usernames, you can find their Tweet. They can't respond to a photoshopped Tweet. ;-)

Layton helped me get my current job that I love.

As part of the interview they gave me a complicated riddle to solve and I had already done that riddle in Layton a few weeks before lol

So I don't mind Layton at all. I just think he's a little odd put next to the other third parties.

Neoxon

Layton helped me get my current job that I love.

As part of the interview they gave me a complicated riddle to solve and I had already done that riddle in Layton a few weeks before lol

So I don't mind Layton at all. I just think he's a little odd put next to the other third parties.
But Level-5 lines up with the "Third Parties That Nintendo's Actually Still Buddies With" category.

Layton does make some sense though I guess

- His games are huge. They were a large contributor to the success to the DS
- The Japanese apparently really like third parties in Smash and we're kind of out of "heavy hitters" for third parties
- Layton is a newer IP, so maybe it's unfair to compare him to the other third parties that are far older and more iconic
- DLC New comers need to be big deals and what's a bigger deal than a huge surprise third party?
- Level-5 are extremely close to Nintendo and Layton was published and advertised by Nintendo outside of Japan.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Shopping one Twitter account is easy, but there's an entire conversation going on there. If you click on any of the usernames, you can find their Tweet. They can't respond to a photoshopped Tweet. ;-)

I only see a tweet with a picture of his supposedly confirmation unless I missed something? Link me to that if there is conversation going on with confirmed tweet.

I just heard from RogersBase.

I just watched this and I'm offended.
Smash has no puzzle game characters

DrMarioShrugProto.png

Probably not. It's why his account's locked down, now. Regardless of whether or not he's in Smash, or whether or not he's playing Layton, he's probably breaking an NDA.

Nintendo ninjas incoming.

One of his taunts should be tossing a Hint Coin like Dudley's rose.

kirby_fox

Banned
Who said Layton was part of the ballot? I definitely could see them planning characters like Ryu and Layton before the ballot. Especially if they do another 3 characters.

I would love for them to do Wolf, Pichu and Layton.

Followed up with Snake, Ice Climbers (I don't want to lose hope yet), and [some newcomer people wanted].

And if they really want to make people's heads explode, do one last update with Squirtle, Ivysaur and another 3rd party
Banjo would make it the best Smash ever at that point

Out of third party choices left that seem at all plausible, Layton seems possible.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
People only focus on fighters on patches, but don't they affect other stuff like ATs and items too? Like now Dr. Kirishima's numbers hurt enemy players.

Plus Layton's damn-near Nintendo exclusive anyways.

Hershel Layton has never appeared on a non-Nintendo system. The series only has one spin off on mobile, and he's not in it. Layton 7 will also be on mobile and also does not have him in it.

Professor Layton (the character) is essentially Nintendo exclusive.

That would mirror the Roy/Ryu/Lucas patch.

Drago

I feel like there isn't a third party character that feels more like a bonafide "Nintendo character" than Layton. Chalk it up to the series being published by Nintendo in the west and being pushed here as if it were first party, I suppose that messes with my perception. I really can't think of any major third party characters that feel more "Nintendo" than Layton though, if that makes any sense. Like, I used to think he was owned by Nintendo for a very long time and I doubt I'm alone there.

I think he's a natural fit. He might not be as iconic as the other four third parties, but I think he'll feel more at home in Smash than most of them, to me anyways. Not that the four third party characters feel out of place, of course. I really hope the rumors are true here.

thank GOD we're not basing this one off of extremely well edited gameplay pics/videos........................

Who said Layton was part of the ballot? I definitely could see them planning characters like Ryu and Layton before the ballot. Especially if they do another 3 characters.

Followed up with Snake, Ice Climbers (I don't want to lose hope yet), and [some newcomer people wanted].

And if they really want to make people's heads explode, do one last update with Squirtle, Ivysaur and another 3rd party
Banjo would make it the best Smash ever at that point

Out of third party choices left that seem at all plausible, Layton seems possible.
Oh god, why would you want Pichu, Squirtle, and Ivysaur? Especially Pichu. o_O

Huh, I doubt it plays any bearing on DLC characters but I just discovered that the japanese got a song in their version of smash 4 that we didn't :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_bmHLySfGY

Did we get the english version in it's stead or something? (considering I set that to zero and upped the JP version to max, I'd rather have this crazy imperial version than the english voice one XD )

Golnei

Did we get the english version in it's stead or something? (considering I set that to zero and upped the JP version to max, I'd rather have this crazy imperial version than the english voice one XD )

That seems to be the case, the English version of the song can't be selected in the Japanese game. Though considering we got the Japanese version of the Brawl remix, if they had to replace one of them, I don't know why they didn't just replace the original Japanese one with the new arrangement - it'd be preferable to keeping the only new Wario remix out of the game, at least.

That seems to be the case, the English version of the song can't be selected in the Japanese game. Though considering we got the Japanese version of the Brawl remix, if they had to replace one of them, I don't know why they didn't just replace the original Japanese one with the new arrangement - it'd be preferable to keeping the only new Wario remix out of the game, at least.
Makes sense, though I'd rather lose the 'broadway style' english version where they got an older voice actress to belt out Ashley's lines over the creepier JP one which sounds more like... well... Ashley :3

Agreed. I'd say Jibanyan would be a lock over Layton.

A character that's been popular for a decade the world over, especially Europe where Nintendo tends to be weaker, and was a major contributor to the success of the DS vs a character from a recently popular series that's never left Japan and won't for a bit more?

The mass populace has no idea who Jibanyan is. They don't even know what a Yokai is. But anyone who got into or back into Nintendo during the DS era knows who Layton is.

Layton is also basically a Nintendo franchise outside of Japan, as Nintendo helped translate, advertise and publish the games and basically treated it as if it was there own (I imagine most people wouldn't even realize Layton wasn't a Nintendo series)

It's not always about pushing the latest and newest series. It isn't for Nintendo reps. It isn't for third parties. If it was, Mega Man never would have gotten into Smash. It's about the most iconic. The most important to Nintendo's history. The character people will look back at and appreciate more.

Oh god, why would you want Pichu, Squirtle, and Ivysaur? Especially Pichu. o_O

Squirtle and Ivysaur both had unique movests. Squirtle can hold his own as a Smash character, being a very popular starter. Squirtle would also probably be top tier if he came back basically unchanged from Brawl. Ivysaur is sort of "meh" but a vet is a vet.

Pichu reps a generation that's forgotten almost entirely in Smash and is an easy character to add. Plus Pichu is the last clone vet not in Smash 4, so why single it out.

Sponge

Banned
As much as I enjoyed playing as Squirtle, Ivysaur and even Pichu, I just can't get myself to want them back in Smash 4. We have six Pokemon characters right now. That's a lot of characters already, and those six are pretty different from one another so I'm pleased with them. If transformation was cut, Pokemon Trainer would still totally be a thing so we'd have Squirtle and Ivysaur back. I'd probably be more okay with it if some of my other favorite Nintendo series had better representation first. Donkey Kong comes to mind. I wouldn't be upset if we got these characters as DLC though. I just feel Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard worked best when they were one character.

It's kind of funny because I always felt Charizard was easily the least interesting of the three Pokemon Trainer Pokemon as Smash characters. All three seemed half-baked at some level, but Squirtle and Ivysaur felt quite unique compared to the rest of the cast, while Charizard felt (and still does kind of feel) kind of like a Bowser with a second jump.

It's kind of funny because I always felt Charizard was easily the least interesting of the three Pokemon Trainer Pokemon as Smash characters. All three seemed half-baked at some level, but Squirtle and Ivysaur felt quite unique compared to the rest of the cast, while Charizard felt (and still does kind of feel) kind of like a Bowser with a second jump.

I really liked how Squirtle played. He was super nimble, almost like a Pokemon version of Diddy.

Charizard gained more mobility in Smash 4, so he does feel a bit different than Bowser now.

But we need a light weight Pokemon that's actually good :)
Pikachu...

He is like an aerial Bowser.

Ivysaur had a lame projectile and...nothing else, really. The bullets were cool as an antiair.

Squirtle had the rolling shell, which is a Bowser custom move now. That is about it. The water spray was so bad.

Charizard had a moveset that was actually useful. That's all I need, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom