• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

gogosox82

Bellona is stupid right now. Just 1v4'ed a team. Granted I was ahead but still. They need to do something about this double starter meta thing. Its too strong on Bellona and Osiris.

Ganhyun

Bellona is stupid right now. Just 1v4'ed a team. Granted I was ahead but still. They need to do something about this double starter meta thing. Its too strong on Bellona and Osiris.

Im guessing this is a PC thing that moved over to the XBox recently as I've started seeing it.

DeviantBoi

Missed another chance at a penta.

This time with Izanami in Arena. I got a triple kill and decided to bail out on the fight cause it was getting hairy, but I turned around and saw an opportunity to get another kill with my ult. It still registered as a quadra. But my team had already killed the other enemy.

If I hadn't played it safe, I might have gotten it. I didn't realize they were so low in health.

I love fighting against Da Ji as Anubis/Scylla. It's almost always super obvious when she's about to jump me, so I make sure to have a stun/root waiting for her. Now, the good ones pay attention and will attack me after seeing me use my CC move on someone else, but most players aren't that attentive or sneaky.

Played 4 games of Daji (althout 3 were in a random 80% cd motd).

I really like her even though I don't fee like she is particularly good. A lot of her damage is easy to avoid. Also, since she is reliant on dots, she is not as flashy as other assassins (you're not gonna see the 1K crit you'll see on Merc for example).

Your best bet is to 3 in, auto, 1, auto then get out. Your 2 is actually decent for getting out. Movespeed and immunity to slows makes you hard to pin down without a hard CC. Also the reduced dmg if hit from behind helps a lot.
I'd use the 2 to escape mostly because it doesn't do a huge amount of dmg, especially early.

I like using my 3 to get in, hit them with the one then immediately ult. If you've 3-ed into a group it lets you get off a couple of easy to hit chains. You can also get away pretty easily due to the nice leap range once the ult is over.
Using the ult in the middle of a team fight is the best as it can be hard to hit if the enemy is aware you've ulted, especially since the range on the chains feels pretty short (I'm pretty sure it's not in the range of a Rama ult).

I guess Shifter's is crazy strong now. Almost everyone is building it from what I'm seeing.

Assassins and warriors certainly, it's better than trans before you get the stacks so you could even pick it up on hunters early to give you that survivability and sell it late game.
I quite like it as a first item on hunters in assault.

Yeah I think it's now a mandatory item on all Warriors and Assassins that don't heavily rely on auto attacks. Also imagine it's core for Hunters like Skadi, Ullr and maybe a few others as well.

It's so good right now.

I do not like that Bacchus remodel, the animations when he walks and on his leap are all wrong. I was thinking about using the diamond skin when the remodel was released but I guess I'll stick to Brynhilder or Hoot N Holler (I'd use the Santa one if I ever got it).

Horrible Burns
Now applied a 10/15/20/25/30% Slows

One Thousand Cuts

Updated the description to state the increased Movement Speed.

Increase Base Damage per Rank from 15/35/55/75/95 to 15/40/65/90/115. (60/140/220/300/380 to 60/160/260/360/460 Total).

Increase Physical Power scaling per hit from 20% to 30%. (80% to 120% Total).

Now Knock-Up Immune while Channeling.

Trickster Spirit
Reduce post fire time from .2 to 0.

Paolao
Paolao can now be cancelled early.

Right clicking or canceling will bring up the jump targeter, allowing Da Ji to jump from the Paolao early.

Increased Duration of shooting time from 3s to 5s

Increased Paolao deployable duration from 7s to 9s

Made the chains easier to see.

2577926-3225430647-geeeo.gif

When does inspiration become plagiarism?

Secret Agent Bastet had to be changed in the past cause it was basically Catwoman and DC was threatening.
Hi-Rez did quite well for a while making skins inspired by other things without ripping them off, but you're not wrong that they're stepping on that line again.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
When does inspiration become plagiarism?

theyve only had to remove one skin from plagiarism claims when they put out that catwoman skin for bastet think theyve learned ways to skirt around that stuff now that said i dont even play my level 30 that much anymore but i really want that ravana skin

edit: think the bacchus remodel is fine i was only worried about the voicepack being changed but they left it alone thank god

DeviantBoi

That Poseidon skin!

So happy that it's in the Gold Vault.

I haven't played much Poseidon since I got him to rank X last year, but that'll make me play him some more.

Welp, Smite is officially my most played video game.

Man, it's insane how much I used to play. I stopped regularly playing Conquest like 4 years ago, and yet 19% of my total games played are still Conquest matches. I stopped maining Cupid also like 4 years ago, and I still have 20 hours more on him than my 2nd most played god.

Looking at the time that smiteguru shows is always weird to me as I'm used to seeing my time played in Steam. If both of those are accurate I've been in the lobby for just under 600 hours.
That's actually kinda weird to think about.

Played 4 games of Daji (althout 3 were in a random 80% cd motd).

I really like her even though I don't fee like she is particularly good. A lot of her damage is easy to avoid. Also, since she is reliant on dots, she is not as flashy as other assassins (you're not gonna see the 1K crit you'll see on Merc for example).

Your best bet is to 3 in, auto, 1, auto then get out. Your 2 is actually decent for getting out. Movespeed and immunity to slows makes you hard to pin down without a hard CC. Also the reduced dmg if hit from behind helps a lot.
I'd use the 2 to escape mostly because it doesn't do a huge amount of dmg, especially early.

I like using my 3 to get in, hit them with the one then immediately ult. If you've 3-ed into a group it lets you get off a couple of easy to hit chains. You can also get away pretty easily due to the nice leap range once the ult is over.
Using the ult in the middle of a team fight is the best as it can be hard to hit if the enemy is aware you've ulted, especially since the range on the chains feels pretty short (I'm pretty sure it's not in the range of a Rama ult).

This. Only played her once tbf, but Serqet and Merc are two of my go-to SMITErs and whilst she is clearly less about the crit-nuke-woaoaaaahhh-I-am-a-GOD! moments, I like her kit. By late game I was shredding a Medusa. Death by a thousand cuts indeed.

But her ult feels a bit rubbish. Or rather, I am rubbish with it so far. Got to try her with friends so can sync CC to lure out Beads and CC-breaks, and then unleash it. On paper it's great for an Assassin to have that kind of CC for ta team.

This. Only played her once tbf, but Serqet and Merc are two of my go-to SMITErs and whilst she is clearly less about the crit-nuke-woaoaaaahhh-I-am-a-GOD! moments, I like her kit. By late game I was shredding a Medusa. Death by a thousand cuts indeed.

But her ult feels a bit rubbish. Or rather, I am rubbish with it so far. Got to try her with friends so can sync CC to lure out Beads and CC-breaks, and then unleash it. On paper it's great for an Assassin to have that kind of CC for ta team.

I also really like Merc, wonder if that's a reason we like Daji...

This Tuesday on PC she is getting buffed. When they talked about the buffs on the patch notes I felt like they had gone too far.
The slow on her 1 and changes to the ult is all I felt she needed. The changes to her 2 and 3 could easily see her rocket up the pick rate.

gogosox82

I also really like Merc, wonder if that's a reason we like Daji...

This Tuesday on PC she is getting buffed. When they talked about the buffs on the patch notes I felt like they had gone too far.
The slow on her 1 and changes to the ult is all I felt she needed. The changes to her 2 and 3 could easily see her rocket up the pick rate.

I feel exactly the same. The extra damage on her 2 seems really unnecessary. All she needed was some form of cc and that delay on her 3 removed.

I've come to the conclusion that no matter how high they raise the price on Fatalis it's going to be bought by every single Hunter ever.

They really just need to make it melee only and potentially make a magical equivalent. Hunters being able to use it is not healthy for the game in any way, especially since it's such a huge crutch for bad players.

Edit: So about those Daji buffs...

dajipsunl.png

drotahorror

Man, it's insane how much I used to play. I stopped regularly playing Conquest like 4 years ago, and yet 19% of my total games played are still Conquest matches. I stopped maining Cupid also like 4 years ago, and I still have 20 hours more on him than my 2nd most played god.

My second most played game of all time I suppose. I haven't played regularly in about a year though. I also have level 30 accounts on PS4 and XB1. A few level 15 accounts on PC as well for Puppatyr skin.

Hide your kids, hide your wife, #360NoScopes are a thing in Smite now.

Looking at the time that smiteguru shows is always weird to me as I'm used to seeing my time played in Steam. If both of those are accurate I've been in the lobby for just under 600 hours.
That's actually kinda weird to think about.

Well my Steam playtime is only a fraction of the real thing, since I was playing for years before the Steam release.

My second most played game of all time I suppose. I haven't played regularly in about a year though. I also have level 30 accounts on PS4 and XB1. A few level 15 accounts on PC as well for Puppatyr skin.

Yeah I forgot about that. I have like 2 other accounts I used to play on, and I think 1 of them is also level 30.

Well my Steam playtime is only a fraction of the real thing, since I was playing for years before the Steam release.

I also played before Steam, I guess alt accounts were some of the extra 600 hours (I stopped those once HIRez gave away the Tyr and Agni skins).
My 1200 hours in game easily cements Smite as my most played though either way.

gogosox82

I've come to the conclusion that no matter how high they raise the price on Fatalis it's going to be bought by every single Hunter ever.

They really just need to make it melee only and potentially make a magical equivalent. Hunters being able to use it is not healthy for the game in any way, especially since it's such a huge crutch for bad players.

Edit: So about those Daji buffs...

dajipsunl.png

Or they could just revert it to s3 fatalis where no one bought it except for Freya, Kali, and Baka and give Chronos and Sol their fatalis back just make them hit autos to get the effect.

Edit: Try Heartseeker. It procs on her 1 and gives a massive boost to her burst.

Or they could just revert it to s3 fatalis where no one bought it except for Freya, Kali, and Baka and give Chronos and Sol their fatalis back just make them hit autos to get the effect.

Edit: Try Heartseeker. It procs on her 1 and gives a massive boost to her burst.

For some reason Hi-Rez has a massive aversion to making items only work on melee or only on ranged. Make fatalis melee only, create a ranged magical version, problem solved.
They could also bring back golden bow if they made it melee only, frostbound being melee only would make sense as well.

They seem to refuse to though. They made a similar change in the past when they stopped all classes being able to buy all items (rip critymir) so I have no idea why they won't now.

gogosox82

For some reason Hi-Rez has a massive aversion to making items only work on melee or only on ranged. Make fatalis melee only, create a ranged magical version, problem solved.
They could also bring back golden bow if they made it melee only, frostbound being melee only would make sense as well.

They seem to refuse to though. They made a similar change in the past when they stopped all classes being able to buy all items (rip critymir) so I have no idea why they won't now.

Or they could just change the items back to the way they were but they also refuse to do that as well. I mean, golden bow was a niche item that I used to get on Artemis because the aoe helped her clear and went well with her passive but then they buffed it to crazy levels(which no one asked for btw) and then every adc had to buy it so instead of just reverting all of the changes, they just removed it which was dumb because it had a niche value to a few characters (Artemis and Mercury in particular) and the removal hurt them badly.

I have no issue with hunters buying frostbound tho. It gives almost no power, and has no attack speed, pen, lifesteal, or crit chance all things that hunters need to do damage. Its just a health item with a good passive. You have to give up damage(a lot of damage btw) to get an item that your soley getting for the passive. If anything, they could say melee autos get 15% slow and ranged autos get 5% slow and I think that would be fine. I don't like the removal of an item from a class that already has so few building options. You either do the pen build or the crit build for adcs before this build came around and now you have another option which I think is great for build diversity. You can trade damage for survivability and there's nothing wrong with that. I think the bigger issue is shifters shield. 2300 gold for a 70 power item that makes you tanky as well. That item should've been nerfed (probably gold increase) but wasn't.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

738 hours since it launched on steam no idea how much total played before it came to steam
has to be in the 1500-2k range i used to put so much more time in

edit: smite guru has my main account at 640 hours played good lord im also up to 557 smurf accounts and around 80-90% of those i would say are account level 10 with some slightly above that i am scared to see what the combined hours of all those together are

Navid

I like the look of the new Adventure mode, it'll be the first one I'm going to buy...

Just need to figure out which out of the Chang'e and Poseidon skins to use my key on.

Syf

Banned
So I've just downloaded this for the first time (PC). Anything big a new player should know? Is the community pretty stable?

So I've just downloaded this for the first time (PC). Anything big a new player should know? Is the community pretty stable?

Yeah the community is stable, Pc also has the highest concentration of people.

For a new player there will be a lot of gods and modes that could overwhelm a new player.
I'd suggest having a quick look at the gods and what they do and pick 3-4 that interest you and go with them. You could also look in game and see how Hi=-rez have ranked them, easy, medium or hard. As someone with a lot of time in this game those aren't always right but they would be a good guide for a new player.
Another possibility is role, do you have a preferred role?
In Smite:
Hunter is the hard carry, auto attack based.
Mage: is the next carry, does damage through abilities mainly.
Assassin: usually the jungler, dmg can be either aa based or abilities.
Warrior: Frontline tank, wants to be in the face of the other teams carries, can do moderate damage but is mostly to soak damage up.
Guardian: Hard tank, main job is to cc enemies so that his carries can easily do dmg, also needs to be tanky.

There are exceptions to these but that's the general. If anyone does stand out to you feel free to ask about them and myself or someone else will give you the info on them.

In terms of modes your best bet is to try them, they're all pretty different. If you want to get into conquest, which is the actual 3 lane 5v5 moba mode, I'd suggest doing so early. There is a meta and if you leave conquest too late without knowing the meta you could get bmed. While the other modes do also have their own internal metas they are generally not as strict.
Assault is a very good mode if you're not sure which god to play. It is a random god select for everyone and can quickly get you knowledgeable about the gods.

Syf

Banned
Sounds great, thanks for all that. To answer your question I usually like ranged damage casters and supports in MOBAs. Are there some gods in those roles that would be best to try playing first?

Sounds great, thanks for all that. To answer your question I usually like ranged damage casters and supports in MOBAs. Are there some gods in those roles that would be best to try playing first?

For ranged damage mages are the role you want to go with. Easy ones that can also be fun (imo) would be Agni, Anubis and Poseidon.
If you want a really simple mage then Ra. By simple I mean to understand, he does have 2 skillshots, one of which (his ult) is hard to hit.

Which mobas do you support in? I ask because the dota support role (the other moba I'm familiar with) treats the role differently.
In dota it is often the carry that becomes tanky (strength heroes anyway) in smite the support is the tanky one with great cc.
If that is the role you want then I'd suggest Athena, Bacchus or Ymir. All 3 have a good mix of cc and damage.

Syf

Banned
Yeah that is the role I want. Thanks for all the advice man. Did the tutorial stuff and played a co-op, looking forward to getting into it for real.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Yeah that is the role I want. Thanks for all the advice man. Did the tutorial stuff and played a co-op, looking forward to getting into it for real.

magic gods with aoe are really good for beginners gods like anubis, kukulkan and poseidon

Has anyone got any good resources they could recommend for learning the Jungle role. I haven't played since season 3 and then predominantly played solo or support role and I fancy a change.

Playing on Xbox.

Has anyone got any good resources they could recommend for learning the Jungle role. I haven't played since season 3 and then predominantly played solo or support role and I fancy a change.

Playing on Xbox.

There are probably some Xbox jungle pros on twitch you could watch but I don't know them by name so couldn't suggest any.
If you want to learn the jungle role in general then I'd say watch Weaken: https://www.youtube.com/user/Weak3nSmite

He is PC pro jungler. He also has a set of videos where he explains the S4 jungle meta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du3LyrmZj1s&list=PLc3QYpLqM0tZtgcolcekJqAfw4yjFlGjw

Keep in mind Xbox top picks are different than PC due to the fact that aiming is a lot easier and faster on PC due the mouse.

Top Bottom