• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass |OT| Snake Had A Hard Life

Twookie

This game gives me nausea I think, I feel awful after playing for more than 10 mins and sometimes even less :(. It's the only game that makes me feel this way too, which sucks. I'm on the Switch if it matters.

I really like this game though, it's really fun and the music's amazing. It's not really the relaxing experience(for me) I was led to believe but it's fun nonetheless.

If they fix the camera and make it so the bird never goes right infront of the camera - that would be swell

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Played some last night and the camera ended up making me more frustrated than I like to be after a long day at work. I have to either take my finger off the X button and start dropping, or make this really uncomfortable claw grip. Same goes for pressing triangle (a few times) to make the bird pick Noodle's tail. I frequently found myself unable to see what was going on due to a pipe, the bird, or something in the environment being right in front of the camera.

Feeroper

Picked this up on Switch last night and had a blast with it! Very clever game with loads of charm. I miss these type es of games as they are very few and far between these days. While not the same thing it still evokes a very banjo-kazooie type vibe. All the N64 era comments I've seen about this game are right on the money.

J@hranimo

Banned

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Have tweeted at the Snake Pass Twitter about the compressed audio on PS4. Hopefully it's something that can be remedied: I mean, I have a terabyte hard drive. I'm sure that uncompressed sounds and music won't take up much more space.

Further quibble: opening cutscenes! Need to be skippable! In some cases they're more than a minute long. Given that we already get a loading bar before we go into the level, surely it wouldn't​ be too big a fix.

Also echoing the requests for a fix to the camera. I dislike how it has a mind of its own sometimes: when your movement is explicitly camera related this gets annoying quickly. Tank controls, or the option to stop camera autorotation, would be a blessing.

Enjoy 30fps and sub vita native resolution with that screen. It's cool if you can handle it. I think I'm done with playing those resolutions though.

It's 2017.

giphy.gif

I'll be playing from start to finish on vita, haven't even tried or wanted to try it on pc but I've put 3 hours into this and I'm really enjoying it. I can't imagine someone who wouldn't.
Lol @ playing anything via steaming on the Vita with THAT wifi chip.

XaosWolf

Picked this up on Switch last night and had a blast with it! Very clever game with loads of charm. I miss these type es of games as they are very few and far between these days. While not the same thing it still evokes a very banjo-kazooie type vibe. All the N64 era comments I've seen about this game are right on the money.

Someone here already mentioned Noodle reminding them of the snake from Sneaky Snakes on the GB, which was the sequel to Snake Rattle 'n' Roll on the NES.

Both developed by Rare, so the link is there! We do need more games with playable snakes that aren't spec ops though.

Fantastic!

I hope someone replies with a 3rd region. =)

Yooo! Sumo Digital works fast!

Probably wanted it fixed for showing at EGX Rezzed.

Moonlight is much better than the default remote play. Mainly because a router is basically targeted at the Vita.

Is just the loud noise gone or is it actually functioning he rumble now?

It's quieter because the rumble is not going at full blast each time. It's still just basic rumble though, no HD rumble added.

Feels much better on the hands and ears.

Can anybody comment on how difficult the game would be for a game-savvy 6 year old to figure out? From what I've seen my instinct says he wouldn't be able to grasp it but looking for opinions.

Doorman

Picked this up halfway on a whim last night and made it through the first three levels, 100% pickups. By the time I was going through the third course I was getting a better grip (heh) of the controls and basic navigation of structures has been pretty smooth and satisfying but training your dexterity to get to that point definitely takes some odd mental programming.

If I had a criticism for now, I'm not sure I can explain this well enough but I feel like there's too much of a gulf between the speed with which Noodle's head turns and the speed he moves forward when you hit the trigger. Even simple structures take some time to get through because you can't coil around bamboo while moving forward very well without stopping and gripping. Otherwise Noodle's head doesn't turn quickly enough and drifts too far outward which leads to problems. It's odd, maybe I just need to punch it into myself to go slowly even when I do have my head and hands wrapped around the controls.

Wozman23

Anyone finished the game?

I'm looking to know how long it takes before buying it. :p

It depends how many of the collectibles you are aiming for. Collecting all of them is quite a challenge and will require far more time than simply completing the 15 levels. Your grasp of the controls will affect the time as well. I wasn't watching the clock, but you could probably make it through the game in 5-6 hours, but it probably took me 8-10 to collect everything. I seem to have picked up the controls quicker than some. If you are a completionist, there are plenty of extra challenges, like not dying in levels, and time trials on every platform other than the Switch.

jokkir

I asked this in the Switch thread:

Snippersclips or this?

Snipperclips, I won't have someone to play with too often (or probably as much as I would want to play) and apparently it's short. This seems too short too(?)

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
it always worked for me.
but after i got my switch i don't see much point in my vita but that is because no extra shoulder buttons.

Snippersclips or this?

Snipperclips, I won't have someone to play with too often (or probably as much as I would want to play) and apparently it's short. This seems too short too(?)
snipperclips is the smarter puzzle game.
snake pass is a solid 7

XaosWolf

Can anybody comment on how difficult the game would be for a game-savvy 6 year old to figure out? From what I've seen my instinct says he wouldn't be able to grasp it but looking for opinions.

As Deadfolk said there is an Easy control mode but that just makes the stick go forward as opposed to holding the trigger to go.

It would be fine for a 6 year old if they get a hang of the controls and if they're going for just the 3 main collectables. But the levels do ramp up in what they ask you to do to even get to those.

Any examples of the sort of games they play?

Snippersclips or this?

Snipperclips is only worthwhile if you have someone to play it with. It's fantastic but really only shines when 2 people are cooperating to complete each puzzle.

Snake Pass is definitely worth the asking price particularly if you're the sort of person who want to collect everything. =)

I can't speak for either one's length as I haven't completed either but going by my current progress I'd guess Snake Pass is about 10 hours of content if you collect everything in each stage.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Okay, just got the game on Switch and I am loving it.

However, I had to laugh because in level one Doodle says "We have to find the missing Keystone" then he flys over to the missing Keystone. Then you slither your way over to the Keystone and Doodle says "I'll take the Keystone." and I'm thinking what the hell is Noodle even doing?

Doodle can fly, collect the keystones, and activate the gates. I think Doodle just likes to see Noodle suffer.

To much fun, though.

The official canon is that the gates only respond to Noodle's presence.

Dragnet

This game desperately needs to map a "camera lock" function to R3 being clicked, or something alone those lines. Too often you fine a good place for the camera to be for your big climb, only for it to start moving around and disrupting your climb. I'm thinking in particular of one of the fire world levels, right at the start theres a pit with a coin at the bottom and the camera FUCKING HATES YOU when you try attempt that coin. Speed the camera movement up too!

Another suggestion, I think it's weird that L2/Tighten doesn't actually hold you in position even when you're very well locked around an object. I think it'd improve those moments where you just need to hold for a moment to take a look around and figure out your next move if Noodle actually held and didn't slowly start slipping.

Sounds like I'm shitting on the game but I do really love it, I just want to see it play even better! I really appreciate that there are no invisible walls and you can pretty much climb anywhere you can see, but that has led to me getting stuck a few times with no ability to reset to a checkpoint, only the entire level. Found a few perfectly Noodle sized holes in walls thinking there'd be a coin inside only to get completely stuck and have to start the whole level over! :(

shield

Beat the game! Camera was a little annoying at times, but once you master the controls it's immensely satisfying to play. Hoping for a sequel!

Snippersclips or this?

I guess I'm one of the few who didn't like Snipperclips. Deleted the demo after about 10 minutes. Didn't play it with anyone, so maybe that's why.

This is getting mixed reviews, but it has a David Wise soundtrack and a snake called noodle in it. Is the previous sentence enough information for you to recommend this game to me? It doesn't look super compelling, but somehow I want to support this. I want to believe in your snake pass... belive in you...

Various people are saying on reddit etc the patch has visual improvements too. Can anyone confirm?

I would imagine it does. If you check out the Digital Foundry video they said the portable footage Sumo sent them was based off the patched release and it had elements such as stronger Depth of Field in cut scenes.

Unkle

This is getting mixed reviews, but it has a David Wise soundtrack and a snake called noodle in it. Is the previous sentence enough information for you to recommend this game to me? It doesn't look super compelling, but somehow I want to support this. I want to believe in your snake pass... belive in you...

Do it. It's mostly getting 7/8 -- it's great fun!

I guess I'm one of the few who didn't like Snipperclips. Deleted the demo after about 10 minutes. Didn't play it with anyone, so maybe that's why.

SnipperClips is 100% a 2-player or more game. I know that they claim you can play it 1-2 or 1-4 players but that's just a load of crap. It was designed for cooperative play. So I can totally see it not clicking with someone if they're playing alone. If you get the chance, absolutely try the demo with a friend or two and see if that changes your mind at all. I *adore* the game but I can't imagine playing it alone, it would totally suck all the fun out of it.

Ok, so it seems I do have the patch. But I'm not seeing anything different visually. I'm playing undocked which is the only way I've played it previously.

Serick

Married Member
I feel fucking dumb as shit trying to control this snake...

Any tips on making the controls click? I struggle so bad with falling off shit even trying to use grip.

Top Bottom