• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass |OT| Snake Had A Hard Life

I feel fucking dumb as shit trying to control this snake...

Any tips on making the controls click? I struggle so bad with falling off shit even trying to use grip.

Don't hold down the movement button, tap it while climbing. I haven't even used Grip yet. Go slow and curl around the poles so you can plan what you want to do without falling off.

alexbull_uk

I feel fucking dumb as shit trying to control this snake...

Any tips on making the controls click? I struggle so bad with falling off shit even trying to use grip.

Try it with the 'easy' controls - you just move the stick in the direction you want to go, more like a standard 3rd person game.

Unkle

Don't hold down the movement button, tap it while climbing. I haven't even used Grip yet. Go slow and curl around the poles so you can plan what you want to do without falling off.

Yep, tap it. When utilizing the grip, use the left analogue stick and X (PS4) to plot your next move with your head, then follow through and grip once again to maintain the new position.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Whoa, never even thought about tapping the move button. Need to try that tonight.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
That just feels incredibly awkward to me somehow. Like when climbing, tapping the button just makes me lose all momentum.
If you're curved around something you should get going again fairly quickly - the more curves on the snake the stronger the movement tends to be.

ktroopa

That just feels incredibly awkward to me somehow. Like when climbing, tapping the button just makes me lose all momentum.

It definetely gets better with practice, i find i dont think about traversal as much now, moreso where i want noodle to go. Be the snake!

one4myhomies

Neo Member
Played it for about an hour or so so far and I have determined that I suck mightily at this game. But I'm determined to get better. I found out very quickly that going for two coins in a row (without saving by beating the level to "lock" the coin in) is a no-no.

Any other ways to save the coins you collect besides finishing the level? do checkpoints do the same thing?

Should have bought this on Steam so I could get a refund. Fuck I start to hate the controls the farther i come. I'm fighting more with the controls and that god awful camera than actually playing.

Biggest purchase regret of 2017 so far.

Looks and runs like a dream on PC at 1440p, locked 60. Music is good, game is just "alright" for me thus far. It's pretty relaxing, though.

i finished the game today. now to go back collect evrything.

i wish it said which levels i have not died on.

btw, it doesnt tell you, but going up and down on level select changes world instead of having to scroll right loads.

Played it for about an hour or so so far and I have determined that I suck mightily at this game. But I'm determined to get better. I found out very quickly that going for two coins in a row (without saving by beating the level to "lock" the coin in) is a no-no.

Any other ways to save the coins you collect besides finishing the level? do checkpoints do the same thing?

yes use checkpoints.

Nicko

I'm really loving this game! Things got a bit white knuckle on that first level, as I refused to finish it without getting every coin/orb, but once the controls finally clicked, everything felt so good.

Love how controlling the character is a puzzle in of itself.

Really fun and novel feeling game!

Also, playing on Switch. Don't mind the lower res as much as other seem to be. Hopefully they can clean it up a bit in the future.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Your opinion. I think it looks like shit in handheld. I don't mind docked at all, but the portable mode to me isn't acceptable. Feels like someone smeared Vaseline over my display.
Looks like shit?
Smeared vaseline?

Pretty strong opinion you have there.

Should have bought this on Steam so I could get a refund. Fuck I start to hate the controls the farther i come. I'm fighting more with the controls and that god awful camera than actually playing.

Biggest purchase regret of 2017 so far.

If you are at all intrigued by the concept and the fun presentation, try to give it some more time and practice. I've had the same initial reaction as you but it clicked after about an hour in and now I love the challenge and it's a lot of fun. Same happened to many other people in this thread. Good luck!

FaintDeftone

Dude this fucking bamboo tower you have to climb in Stage 4 for one of the three glowing pieces is fucking infuriating to climb up. I've been trying to do this for the past hour and I'm ready to throw my Switch through the window.

This will be the breaking point for me. I'm considering just giving up.

He is a platforming superhero and his favourite games are anything super mario and rayman.

As Deadfolk said there is an Easy control mode but that just makes the stick go forward as opposed to holding the trigger to go.

It would be fine for a 6 year old if they get a hang of the controls and if they're going for just the 3 main collectables. But the levels do ramp up in what they ask you to do to even get to those.

Any examples of the sort of games they play?

Dude this fucking bamboo tower you have to climb in Stage 4 for one of the three glowing pieces is fucking infuriating to climb up. I've been trying to do this for the past hour and I'm ready to throw my Switch through the window.

just take the corners slow, and when nearish the top, you can use the wall to gain traction as well.

Skyzard

Banned
Lol @ playing anything via steaming on the Vita with THAT wifi chip.

Played it on pc, streamed to my phone, macbook and vita, and it's fantastic on vita.

But have fun with whatever it is you're playing, lol.

It's not fair to put it up against an i7 and 980ti. So these reactions trying to shout it down without even trying it were expected.

But it sure is sweet having these visuals on Vita OLED, looks better than my pc! and it's right there in my hand.

Dedicated handheld is dead without streaming imo. Just looks so dated and plain, whereas this is incredible.

Being 3 frames out of 60 behind the pc doesn't give you issues in this, otherwise 30fps would be brutal, and it's probably not.

I encourage anyone with a good setup to give it a go. I'd take an extra few ms hit with this for out of this world handheld graphics, it makes for a fantastic experience and I strongly recommend it for snake pass.

Give it a go!

giphy.gif

I mean, just look at it...

giphy.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I've played stuff on Vita many times via streaming from PS4 Pro - it always looks freaking fantastic due to downsampling, and especially with 60FPS games the latency is not much of an issue - unless you're playing a fighting game or something. Hell, I've been able to play Resogun that way, and not be any worse than I normally am.

FaintDeftone

just take the corners slow, and when nearish the top, you can use the wall to gain traction as well.

Yeah I got it finally but man I was getting extremely frustrated. Luckily the next level was much more enjoyable and introduced new gameplay mechanics.

Breaking the habit of constantly holding the A button (to raise your head) and the movement button is very hard.

Looks like shit?
Smeared vaseline?

Pretty strong opinion you have there.

Well yeah. Not so clever hot takes to my post aside. I made it clear that it was my opinion. I didn't try to convince anyone of anything or say anyone else was wrong to think otherwise.

Played it on pc, streamed to my phone, macbook and vita, and it's fantastic on vita.

But have fun with whatever it is you're playing, lol.

It's not fair to put it up against an i7 and 980ti. So these reactions trying to shout it down without even trying it were expected.

But it sure is sweet having these visuals on Vita OLED, looks better than my pc! and it's right there in my hand.

Dedicated handheld is dead without streaming imo. Just looks so dated and plain, whereas this is incredible.

Being 3 frames out of 60 behind the pc doesn't give you issues in this, otherwise 30fps would be brutal, and it's probably not.

I encourage anyone with a good setup to give it a go. I'd take an extra few ms hit with this for out of this world handheld graphics, it makes for a fantastic experience and I strongly recommend it for snake pass.

Give it a go!

giphy.gif

I mean, just look at it...

Looks like it runs fairly well. Wish I still had my vita.

Skyzard

Banned
Looks like it runs fairly well. Wish I still had my vita.
It does! the gifs don't show off the climbing, it was hard to focus on while I was trying to record steady but I might try that later.

It works with phones too, you can get moonlight on the Android and ios store for free. But you'd need a good way to mount the phone onto a controller. I'm going to get an ipega Bluetooth one for less than £20

It does! the gifs don't show off the climbing, it was hard to focus on while I was trying to record steady but I might try that later.

It works with phones too, you can get moonlight on the Android and ios store for free. But you'd need a good way to mount the phone onto a controller. I'm going to get an ipega Bluetooth one for less than £20

You using the back pad as the triggers?

This is certainly improved on handheld mode after todays patch.

I'll try restarting my switch, but I don't see it. Hopefully DF will take another look if so.

Skyzard

Banned
If you get a coin, hit a checkpoint and left the level it doesn't save right? I can understand why but I wish it did at this stage. Probably won't be as annoying the better I get.

You using the back pad as the triggers?

Nope, remapped it to the physical triggers. Reminds me of loco roco on the psp in a way.

This will be the breaking point for me. I'm considering just giving up.
That tower was one of the most irritating bits for me. Especially since the bird keeps creeping into frame, blocking my view.

All I can really say is take it slow, gripping to stop each time you get a tight loop on the frame. That tower gave me hell, but I've only run into one spot that gave me that much trouble in the following ten levels.

Szadek

I was planning to wait for a sale, but couldn't help myself.

Finished the first 3 levels without missing any collectiable.
I died several time in the first level when I tried to get all the coins, but once I got used to the controls , the game got a lot easier.

Wozman23

That's crazy! Congratulations. Some of those trophies are tough!

Thanks. It was definitely a challenge, but once you start to really understand the mechanics, everything becomes a bit easier and just gets way more fun.

Three days ago I had no clue how the game would control and was unsure on whether a platformer without a jump button would be fun. So I kept expectation somewhat low. But it turned out to be an amazing experience. I applaud the team on taking the 30+ year old platforming genre and finding a way to create something unlike anything before it.

Every second was a joy!

Top Bottom