• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass |OT| Snake Had A Hard Life

Tabasco

Just curious, are you guys going through one playthrough first before you start collecting anything for 100%?

I keep seeing people talking about trying to complete the game in that manner and I'm wondering if the experience is just as good for those going through the levels without trying to collect everything.

Hegarol

Just curious, are you guys going through one playthrough first before you start collecting anything for 100%?

I keep seeing people talking about trying to complete the game in that manner and I'm wondering if the experience is just as good for those going through the levels without trying to collect everything.
I am collecting everything in my first playthrough. Great game, having a lot of fun.

shield

I went through the first time searching everywhere and collecting everything I could find, and anything I missed I mopped up afterwards once I beat the game.

I can't speak for playthroughs that only focus on the Keystones, but I'd imagine it would be a much shorter and easier experience, since collecting the Wisps and Coins often prove to be the trickiest tasks in the game. Leaving the majority of the collecting until after the first playthrough would probably be easier too, since the reward for beating the game is
the Snakes Eyes ability that lets you locate every collectible.
Hope this helps!

Wozman23

I tried to collect everything, but missed two orbs. It did slow the experience down as I often had to retrace my steps slithers. You'll definitely bang your head against the wall for the first couple levels as you figure out the mechanics. So it all comes down to how much you want to challenge yourself, or whether you want to breeze through and clean up on a second pass. It does get much easier once you beat the game since
you unlock
the ability to see collectibles.

Dude, nice! I just hit 100% collectibles, might have to ask you for tips sometime on the last few trophies :)

I'll try to stick around. The don't touch the water one took a while. I'm still not sure on the specifics of the don't touch the ground one as it took me many attempts (and I'm not sure what exactly constitutes 'the ground') but I can elaborate on my strategy when you get there (or I'm sure some guides will come along soon).

Riddler

Trying to get all the bubbles first and coins as I see them, then go for the coins on 2nd play through.

A little impression on Switch version. It really agrees with pick up and play portable(played on and off all day while outside). Funny how wasn't even going to get it but the Switch version really made up my mind to pick it up.

alexbull_uk

The don't touch the water one took a while. I'm still not sure on the specifics of the don't touch the ground one as it took me many attempts (and I'm not sure what exactly constitutes 'the ground') but I can elaborate on my strategy when you get there (or I'm sure some guides will come along soon).

I'm trying to get that trophy, I'd love any help you can give!

This game is so damn unique, the movement feels completely fresh, and then while i'm in tune with the audiovisual goodness and smooth snakey rhythm I then overextend/lose focus and FUUUUCK THIS GAME!
It's pretty neat.

JonnyKong

Spent 30 minutes trying to get one of the coins on the fourth level, just kept dying over and over. I can't seem to grasp the controls as well as everybody else is :( it's really pissing me off and making me not enjoy the game. I was looking forward to it as well, but as of right now I can't bring myself to turn the game back on. I've tried using the grip, I've tried feathering, I just can't do it, and I want to try get every collectible cos that's what I like to do in a game like this.

I think I just prefer my normal run and jump platformers, but I applaud the team for trying something new.

Skyzard

Banned
Really enjoyed the 5th level (2nd world, first stage). I like how the levels opened up, it really feels like a big tropical snake gymnasium.

moonlight vita screencaps:

22i4aq0.jpg

11z6yh8.jpg

I am not going after every coin each level. Some levels are hard enough as it is when you're starting out and without mid-level saving, just checkpoints, you kinda want to get through it but also leave something for when you come back to it or finish it. At least that's what I'm doing.

I'm only on the 6th level but I want dlc :p

Played the first level of this just to give it a try and....I really like it! The movement of the snake feels fantastic and strangely mesmerising. I'm rubbish at controlling it so far - tried to get one of the coins that is on some bamboo under a bridge thing and basically kept falling to my doom. It takes a while to get used to the move and head movement controls. So far, it seems like a really refreshing game though and they've nailed the movement of the snake. Looking forward to playing more.

Wozman23

I'm trying to get that trophy, I'd love any help you can give!

For the don't touch water: There's always a path around the edges. Sometimes you have to wiggle up walls. Make sure you have Doodle hold your tail. It's also sometimes helpful to try to 'fly' over obstacles like the slides or narrow water sections. Most of my failures were a result of my tail dipping in, or at that point at the end where you go across the three pieces of bamboo that you extend across the water. I found success in wrapping around them, over and under. Also, make sure when grabbing a gem that your entire body is wound up tight so that your tail won't fall in when Doodle lets go to grab the gem.

For the don't touch the floor, I'm not sure what 'the floor' exactly is. I believe it is just the main surface in the large area. I slithered up the first ladder then 'leapt' around to the left pillar to work my way all the way up top. It's a stretch, but I assume you can't touch the ground there. From there I 'jumped' down to the wall along the edge to make my way toward the green key. At one of its high spots near the gem, I transitioned to the bamboo. Once again, make sure Doodle's got your tail and wind up tight. Then I transitioned to the raised part of the ground, got as close to the bamboo by the yellow gem, on some rocks, and worked my way across to the gem. It took many times, and even the last time, I thought part of me had hit the ground on more than one occasion.

Wozman23

How's the replayability on this kind of game? Any procedurally generated levels to keep things fresh?

Nothing procedurally generated. Just 15 levels that will take you between 15-20 minutes if you don't focus on collectibles, and 30-45 minutes if you want to find everything. I'm guessing I put in about 12 hours to platinum it.

There are also time trials, on all platforms other than the Switch, if you like that kind of thing.

Regardless of whether you think that's worth $20, the mechanics are really clever and innovative. Some do seem to struggle with them. It's a great case of easy to pick up but hard to master.

It hurts knowing that this game will probably never get the recognition or credit that it deserves. It's shockingly well designed from top to bottom, and feels unlike anything I've ever played before.

Lijik

I think that may be one of, if not, the toughest.

took a break and went back and managed to snag it without falling off on my second new attempt. went throught the rest of the stage and had a chuckle at how theres a coin right by the green stone thats basically the baby mode version of that one

Porcile

I like the concept of the game and its presentation but I can not get to grips with the controls at all. Soon as I feel like I have a bit of grasp I end dying over and over on some trivial coin. The checkpoint system makes sense, I understand why it's the way it is, but having to recollect everything is such a pain the arse. I'd rather there was time period after collecting something where if you die right after you don't keep the thing you got, but it puts you back in a reasonable spot to give you another chance. It stops you from purposefully dying to get something but still remains fair. Anyone know what I mean? Zelda was really generous with this, and I enjoyed the environmental puzzling of that game a lot more for it.

As it stands I'm just getting too frustrated with it. Congrats to the developers for their really unique concept and vision but I can't coordinate myself well enough lol.

Riddler

It hurts knowing that this game will probably never get the recognition or credit that it deserves. It's shockingly well designed from top to bottom, and feels unlike anything I've ever played before.

Yea most snake games don't get the recognition. Snake rattle & roll was amazing game for it's time and never revisited.

Skyzard

Banned
I like the concept of the game and its presentation but I can not get to grips with the controls at all. Soon as I feel like I have a bit of grasp I end dying over and over on some trivial coin. The checkpoint system makes sense, I understand why it's the way it is, but having to recollect everything is such a pain the arse. I'd rather there was time period after collecting something where if you die right after you don't keep the thing you got, but it puts you back in a reasonable spot to give you another chance. It stops you from purposefully dying to get something but still remains fair. Anyone know what I mean? Zelda was really generous with this, and I enjoyed the environmental puzzling of that game a lot more for it.

As it stands I'm just getting too frustrated with it. Congrats to the developers for their really unique concept and vision but I can't coordinate myself well enough lol.

Once you get the muscle memory down for movement, head raising and grip, there are a few things to be aware of:

You can't just grip your whole way up there, you'll move too slow and at some point you'll have so much grip that you won't move forward - maybe even slip off if you need to move forward but the grip is preventing you. Too much grip can be bad.

Use it to just anchor and propel yourself.

Your head is heavy, make sure you're aware of where your grip is - don't let your neck get too long without having an anchor, your head may get too heavy to raise to a useful height.

Be wary of your tail end, if that's not resting on something and you haven't asked the bird to help you, it can drop you back down.

Weave around objects using your head and maintaining a tight grip with your body when moving forward or upwards on poles.

I love it :D

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The How to Play video ("Controls" in the OP) is very helpful. I was also having a difficult time with the more advanced manoeuvres until I watched it. Once you wrap your head around the control system, the uniqueness of it is actually endearing rather than annoying.

Gsnap

This game ramps up quick. It's very good so far. Classic style/aesthetic, but new, unique gameplay. I'd definitely classify this as a 3D platformer, despite its differences, because of how it's more about treacherous navigation. As someone who loves platforming it's great to see them throw jumping out the window and focus on a different form of movement.

Skyzard

Banned
I just played on PC at 60fps for a whole level (6), and it's a completely different experience, and not for the better. Yes, I'm serious.

60fps - you're a complete mess. A shambles of a snake. Super anxious and freaking out all over the place. It's a lot more responsive and you kinda have a lot more to take in.

Switched to 4k and 30fps... my god, so much better! Much more like the Vita gameplay I had but a tiny bit snappier. You're more of an actual snake. You make deliberate and determined movements. Also helps to to have vibration off - which it doesn't look you can do on pc. It kinda puts you off using the grip even though sometimes you need to use it for a while to hold on and it's just rinsing my batteries giving me a panic buzz.

t hicks

Banned
Wasn't sure how I would like this game but I bought it anyway, and man I'm glad I did!
Controls are really cool and its got dat David Wise ost, just good vibes all around
Great addition to my switch library :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I have absolutely no idea where it's hiding. I've gone through the level at least four times.

Edit: Found the bugger. When returning to the start of the level after picking up the yellow thingamajig, you pass through a short stone "hallway" and it's tucked away above the final corner. It's impossible to see without raising your head as the camera is otherwise too close.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
is there an option to play 'red and black poison lack'?

not really comfortable playing a coral snake.

No. If it makes you feel better, at no point while playing have I been made or given the opportunity to bite an animal and inject it with venom.

Granted, I've not finished the game yet.

Kebiinu

Banned
Enjoying the improved visuals of the Switch patch. Looked slightly dark before, and now it looks just right, even undocked.

Crayon

Got it for switch. Very addictive to learn the movement. Have felt this overloaded with new controls since tourist trophy.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Just starting the Lava World. I think I'll be platinuming this game.

Edit: Welp, game just softlocked during a cutscene. If there's one problem with this game, it's that is features that infamous Sumo Digital "polish". :p

What platform? I take it the lock was on the cutscene on level 12?

Top Bottom