• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass |OT| Snake Had A Hard Life

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
My PC is my number 1 game machine and I also have an OG PS4. I went with Switch for this one ¯_(ツ)_/¯
It'd be cool to have the sales breakdown in few months. I feel like indies benefited a lot from 3rd parties absence on Switch at launch. And the system is well suited to smaller games.

Azuardo

btw, not sure if it's been mentioned, but I found a small bug on PS4 vers, although I assume it's in all versions.

You can activate checkpoints by moving the camera over them. Might be handy in certain situations to exploit on difficult bits, but I never found much use for it in my playthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QoK3XxLzN4

I'm curious as to how to do this. I bought both PS4 and switch versions and find it super annoying they have different controls between them (seemingly for no reason). For instance on switch lift head is "A" which would be the "O" on Ps4 but for some reason lift head is "X". Makes it so I can't play both at the same time. Would love it if I could change them to match.

You can go to settings > accessibility then remap any button on the PS4 to any other button.

If you use the quick-menu and select customise, put 'accessibility' onto the menu, then you can toggle these custom buttons on and off by holding the PS button.

With that said, it obviously does affect the menus too, which you might not like (although it's quite easy to toggle on and off)

Prior to the patch that fixed the rumble, this game broke my mate's right joy-con vibration. I guess it burned the motor out or something, but it's been damaged and doesn't rumble like the left side now.

I know he has the Nintendo warranty, but a few of us have suggested he should contact Sumo Digital as well. Their game has damaged one of their customer's hardware. I know they can't personally repair it - that's for Nintendo to sort out - but we feel like this is something that shouldn't have passed through testing, and the result is now a damaged joy-con.

Just makes me wonder if other customers' joy-con have been damaged prior to the patch too.

It's not Sumo's fault that Nintendo's hardware allows rumbe to do that.

Joycons should not be damaged by rumble at all, however the developer tries to use it. On PS4 you can happily set a DS4 to maximum rumble and leave it for hours and it will not break the controller.

It seems more likely that your friends controller had a fault though, as it doesn't seem to be breaking anyone elses. Neither does the poorly integrated rumble in Fast RMX (it makes a painful sound when it rumbles, as if the rumble is bashing the inside of the controllers casing).

Azuardo

It's not Sumo's fault that Nintendo's hardware allows rumbe to do that.

Joycons should not be damaged by rumble at all, however the developer tries to use it. On PS4 you can happily set a DS4 to maximum rumble and leave it for hours and it will not break the controller.

Definitely true that this shouldn't have been possible. I've never heard of a vibration function to break down in a controller from high output. It shouldn't have been possible for this to happen to begin with, so Nintendo definitely needs to look into that, as it potentially means all Joy-Con vibration could break down if this sort of thing happens again in another game.

Maybe it was a slight fault in the Joy-Con - hard to say. But the intensity of the rumble prior to the patch would make me believe it's possible it did break it. Either way, he'll get it repaired/replaced, which is the main thing.

Downhome

I had no clue this game would look as interesting and be as well received as it has been. I think I'll be picking this up on my Switch as soon as I get home later today.

one4myhomies

Neo Member
You can go to settings > accessibility then remap any button on the PS4 to any other button.

If you use the quick-menu and select customise, put 'accessibility' onto the menu, then you can toggle these custom buttons on and off by holding the PS button.

With that said, it obviously does affect the menus too, which you might not like (although it's quite easy to toggle on and off)

OK, thank you. I suppose I'll try that later. Wish it was just an option in game. I really wonder why its different between the versions. It's a different button for picking up the tail of Noodle as well.

Szadek

Can't find the last coin in level 8.
Still missing the one between the 2 last checkpoints, but there is still one more that I can't find.

Wozman23

Any tips for the not touching the water trophy? I swear i did it but i guess his tail musta dipped in or something. (i was super pissed lol)

Also, the idols? what are they? those stone things? i noticed some levels have 2.. do i need to touch them all?

Are time trials required for plat?

I posted some tips here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=233076356&postcount=1267

The main takeaways are make Doodle hold your tail so it doesn't touch. And when grabbing the last gem make sure you are coiled all the way around the bamboo since Doodle will let go of your tail to grab the gem. I think there's always an audible splash if you touch water as well.

Yes, the idols are the stone heads. You only have to touch one per level and you'll hear a sound when you do. Most are pretty easy to find, but it took me a bit to find one in level 14 (I believe). It's located
on one of the stones that raise to block the wind after you pull a switch.

No, time trials aren't required for the plat.

Azuardo

How do you get that trophy where you must continuously use Doodle through the first level? I tried making sure he had me lifted the entire time, but got nothing. I also kept pressing it continuously throughout beating it.

Wozman23

How do you get that trophy where you must continuously use Doodle through the first level? I tried making sure he had me lifted the entire time, but got nothing. I also kept pressing it continuously throughout beating it.

He will drop your tail during a couple cinematic moments like discovering the portal and grabbing the gem. Make sure you have him grab your tail again before you move.

joesiv

It's funny, I'm tempted to give this a go, but something really silly is bothering me about it lol... I don't like how the snake looks like his head is always tilted up. I wish they just had an offset angle so the snake would more often be pointing his snout foward rather than exactly in the vector of the pulling force.

I know it's minor, but it just bothers me to no end lol... I don't think I could play the game because of it, I can barely view videos and gifs... ha ha...

Azuardo

He will drop your tail during a couple cinematic moments like discovering the portal and grabbing the gem. Make sure you have him grab your tail again before you move.

Thanks, I'll give it another go. I must have moved Noodle slightly once or twice before using Doodle, so probably didn't trigger.

Annoying you have to re-watch the cutscenes tho.

Suzzopher

I am completely in love with this game. From the fifth stage on it just gets better and better and more challenging.

I love how N64 Rareware this feels.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Hey guys,

My name's Brad and I'm a design lead on Snake Pass here at Sumo.

I thought I'd out myself to pass on some good news; I can confirm that we're working on getting Time Trials patched in to the Switch version of the game. I can't tell you exactly when this is going to happen, it's not quite as simple as flicking a switch, there is some work on our end involved on getting this up and running. As soon as I have more news I'll be sure to pass it on.

Really happy to see so many people enjoying the game!

Thanks for the great game

I wonder. Would people rather see DLC level packs, or just a Snake Pass 2?

Edit: I'd like DLC for SP and then a sequel would theoretically include new/different gameplay so both!

Azuardo

So no way to save progress without finishing level?

Nope. Perhaps one of the more frustrating elements of the game. To grab a few collectibles, you must finish the level to save up - can't just quit and save. Definitely annoying on the tougher, longer levels :/ I think given the Switch's portable nature, saving and quitting a level would have been good to have.

Skyzard

Banned
Nope. Perhaps one of the more frustrating elements of the game. To grab a few collectibles, you must finish the level to save up - can't just quit and save. Definitely annoying on the tougher, longer levels :/ I think given the Switch's portable nature, saving and quitting a level would have been good to have.

Things gets quicker to do the better you get at the game.

At least with the Switch you can suspend right?

I just pause the game on PC when streaming to Vita and play again after a break if I'm half way through the level.

I wouldn't say no to the option to save and exit after getting a coin though.

While we're at it, an option to disable rumble on PC too.

aza

Level 6, after venturing out to an area beyond where I was intended to go (I guess), I couldn't make my way back up a cliff to get back to the map. So I fell off to try and respawn at my last checkpoint, but the game glitched out and wouldn't trigger a death state. Ended up in limbo and lost 30 minutes of progress :(

fkGNIr3.jpg

So I agree that checkpoints would be great ��

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
It's the lighting and shadows. You can see the difference between the two.

It almost looked like different times of day because there were some parts where there were just entirely different (and more) shadows visible on the pre-patch version. But I'm guessing this game doesn't have a time of day feature? The changes confused me. :p

Crayon

Is the Switch version's resolution really that low?

Wanting to pick this up but not if it's a blurry mess and I rather play it here than the PS4.

It is quite low on switch. I don't consider Sider it distracting but you are going to need to look at it and decide for yourself because it is borderline.

Downhome

I haven't played it yet but from watching various videos I love the concept of the controls and just how they have it set up to move the snake itself.

Is it wrong of me that I'm already hoping for some other type of game where you control a snake where you attack things and eat them and all of that?

NateDrake

It almost looked like different times of day because there were some parts where there were just entirely different (and more) shadows visible on the pre-patch version. But I'm guessing this game doesn't have a time of day feature? The changes confused me. :p

I did a new video comparing it to the PS4 version. You will see similar shadow patterns between the two now when compared to the unpatched Switch version.

Updated Switch vs. PS4 Graphics Comparison: https://youtu.be/32ADym9Za6o

krae_man

100%'ed the first 3 levels so far. Really enjoying it.

Slowly getting the hang of snaking around bamboo. Still need to work on not falling to my death when the Bamboo overhangs death pits, but I'm getting there.

alexbull_uk

The don't touch the water trophy is killing me.

It's really easy until the last 5% of the level, but then it's insanely tricky. It's starting to annoy me that it takes ~10 mins to get back to the final stage of the level each time.

Skyzard

Banned
I haven't played it yet but from watching various videos I love the concept of the controls and just how they have it set up to move the snake itself.

Is it wrong of me that I'm already hoping for some other type of game where you control a snake where you attack things and eat them and all of that?

It's not wrong to want more as it is a fantastically designed game. I wanted more levels after playing 20% of it.

Honestly absolutely loving playing this, my favourite platformer for the moment, really unique and challenging but fun. With some great visuals and music too.

Eating things might be fun, I doubt attacking things would be since moving boulders in this requires you smacking things with your head repeatedly, wrapping around it and trying to spin it in a direction is really hard.

I think they didn't have him eating insects in the world or something because it would upset kids to play as a non-totally cute snake. Can't blame them.

The character is awesome. Makes me feel like a snake. He already looks iconic in a way, really great design of a familiar background character in a lot of games.

It's funny, I'm tempted to give this a go, but something really silly is bothering me about it lol... I don't like how the snake looks like his head is always tilted up. I wish they just had an offset angle so the snake would more often be pointing his snout foward rather than exactly in the vector of the pulling force.

I know it's minor, but it just bothers me to no end lol... I don't think I could play the game because of it, I can barely view videos and gifs... ha ha...

Not sure I understand.

There is a button you press to raise his head. It's not always tilted up.

M3d10n

Has anyone noticed visual upgrades on Switch after a patch? I saw this video but am having a hard time telling the difference since the videos are out of sync and my screen for viewing this isn't the best.

They actually changed the sun light direction, that's mostly why the shadows look different. It's very easy to see when the camera does a top-down flyby over a few bamboo posts during a cutscene. It now matches the same angle as the PS4 version.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
They actually changed the sun light direction, that's mostly why the shadows look different. It's very easy to see when the camera does a top-down flyby over a few bamboo posts during a cutscene. It now matches the same angle as the PS4 version.

Okay, that's what I was thinking, but I thought that would be an odd change to make in a patch. I wonder why it was different and now why it's the same.

Jb

The song in the water levels is almost too good for this game. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it a lot, but it's way too evocative for what a game about a stoned snake collecting shiny trinkets.

krae_man

Damn! That's really good. I can't get any of the coins on the first level. Anything that is over the air I haven't master the grip yet. I just fall almost immediately. Wight hat said the game is a great value for 20 bucks. Different and refreshing. I am liking it.

Couple of times I cheesed it. On one I was able to lean over the edge of solid ground and touch it then turn back.

Another time I managed to land on a tiny ledge you probably weren't supposed to be able to slither on, but I got my head on it and combined with Humming Navi holding my tail I was able to get back to solid ground:lol

Top Bottom