• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass |OT| Snake Had A Hard Life

Skyzard

Banned
The startup sequence freezes for me at the sumo digital logo.

And the logos are nice but are really loud and take a bit too much time when I just want to fire it up quickly, to say...check my time trial positions. Luckily the game still runs when you rename the two logo files here:

Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Snake Pass\SnakeSimulator\Content\Movies

SumoLogo20.oldmp4
UE4_LogoPC_1080.oldmp4

I hate it when I accidentally select a story level and it has an intro sequence you can't skip or quit out of until it's done.

Camjo-Z

I spent way too much time trying to get that coin on the rotating stick in Level 9, but at least it's also the first level where I managed to get everything on the first try without needing to backtrack.

hydruxo

So...the music is amazing as one would expect from David Wise, but the lava world song is on a whole nother level. I'm sitting here at the start area just listening to it lmao.

nkarafo

This game is really taxing for my system. I have a 1060 and everything to "very high" causes drops to low 40's @ 1080p. Even at "high" with AA to "medium" i still get some small drops here and there.

All console versions are 30fps including PS4 pro?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I kind of think it's better at 30fps. Less twitchy, easier to make smart decisions.
I don't see how that could possibly be true. You get more latency in your input and latency in your visual feedback, on top of having less visual bandwidth. Following your logic, 15fps would be even better.

Szadek

Made it up to stage 11 now.
I got the infamous coin from level 9 without too much trouble, but I think I just got lucky.

AEREC

So...the music is amazing as one would expect from David Wise, but the lava world song is on a whole nother level. I'm sitting here at the start area just listening to it lmao.

The obsession with this dude on GAF is beyond creepy. Music sounds like it could be from Kenny G to me.

I kind of think it's better at 30fps. Less twitchy, easier to make smart decisions.

The additional temporal clarity of a higher framerate definitely benefits this game. As does less input-latency.

I don't doubt it's perfectly playable at 30 FPS, but I don't understand how it makes the game less twitchy and enhances the players intelligence.

hydruxo

The obsession with this dude on GAF is beyond creepy. Music sounds like it could be from Kenny G to me.

Might want to get your hearing checked buddy. And if liking David Wise's music is considered being "beyond creepy" then I don't give a fuck. Dude makes great music.

Mikey 2x4

pick up your hentai tomorrow
Picked this up on the Switch today thanks to this thread and tried it out on a break at work. Absolutely dig it. We'll have to play it on a future stream just so I can have an excuse to hear even more of the soundtrack.

Skyzard

Banned
I don't see how that could possibly be true. You get more latency in your input and latency in your visual feedback, on top of having less visual bandwidth. Following your logic, 15fps would be even better.

The additional temporal clarity of a higher framerate definitely benefits this game. As does less input-latency.

I don't doubt it's perfectly playable at 30 FPS, but I don't understand how it makes the game less twitchy and enhances the players intelligence.

I've tried it at both framerates. It's almost a different game. And I actually prefer the more relaxed 30fps, the less jittery feedback you get helps to make slower decisions that don't get you killed.

That might change after a lot of practice at 60fps...but I prefer this more casual. Doing well on the time trials like this too.

Finally did the No Diving trophy. Still can't get my head around Floor is Molten Rock though.

I just got the no diving one. I realised you dont need to use the turning switch to spread apart the 3 bamboos, you can just climb the wall on the left straight to the bamboos above without risking the water.
the end part with the last gemstone is where you can't really avoid the water, you actually gotta try. ><

Yeah.. i dont get that other trophy yet. What exactly is the floor..

peakish

Played it for a bit now and it's really charming my pants off. I was idling for a second and Noodle fell asleep, then the hummingbird came up to the camera and stared at me like "what's up?" Great stuff!

Gotta say that I see where the complaints I heard about the checkpointing come from. The controls make some challenges really fun by themselves but the punishment of having to slowly slither through a large, non-challenging space to get back to it every time you fall into a pit is pretty steep. Slows the game down a lot.

Skyzard

Banned
^ I see your issue, trying the time trials can help you get better at moving faster.

Tip: the bird can help reduce friction

Just played through the first 5 levels, 100%-ing each level and having a blast. The movement system is pretty neat and feels good, especially when you start being more bold and try dangerous stuff, mixing the grip and raising the tail with the bird.

But the music is really great, and lifts you up even during the more frustrating climbs. David Wise has a bit of that oldschool, catchy and cheerful demoscene style to his tunes which I absolutely love, so in a way this brings back memories and makes me feel like a kid again. Lovely, lovely stuff.

commissar

The artstyle is super charming, the soundtrack is *awesome*, and the gameplay has me on edge with the fear of falling.

A very fine game, well done Sumo.

joesiv

Not sure I understand.

There is a button you press to raise his head. It's not always tilted up.

I haven't played the game, don't know the control scheme, but all the gifs and video's I've seen the head is always tilted up at an awkward angle, even when traversing horizontally.

it just bugs me that's all.. don't mind me... move along lol

Skyzard

Banned
^The control video in the op mentions this but dropping the head is basically a control option - you just have to let go of A.

When you start out playing this it's hard to keep control of, and I often messed up from having the button pressed and his head up when I just want to go forward.

Wozman23

I just got the no diving one. I realised you dont need to use the turning switch to spread apart the 3 bamboos, you can just climb the wall on the left straight to the bamboos above without risking the water.
the end part with the last gemstone is where you can't really avoid the water, you actually gotta try. ><

That would have saved me so many attempts had I figured that out.

As far as 'the floor' I think it is just the ground level of the main platform after the first bamboo ladder structure. I don't think you can touch it at all (including your tail) but you can touch the ground as long as it is above that lowest ground level, like the raised area in the middle of the level. I just transitioned from the green gem, to the slightly raised middle area, then got on the bamboo to the yellow gem. Another safer way may be to get the green gem then go up the slide backwards to the red gem.

alexbull_uk

Nice, I didn't realize you could skip the switch. I really like that this game gives you a lot of freedom in the way you finish the levels.

Make sure you post a video or a walkthrough if you figure out the floor trophy!

As far as 'the floor' I think it is just the ground level of the main platform after the first bamboo ladder structure. I don't think you can touch it at all (including your tail) but you can touch the ground as long as it is above that lowest ground level, like the raised area in the middle of the level. I just transitioned from the green gem, to the slightly raised middle area, then got on the bamboo to the yellow gem. Another safer way may be to get the green gem then go up the slide backwards to the red gem.

I'm having a tough time visualizing what you mean. If you get a minute some time, could you screenshot the route or something like that?

Wozman23

Here's a video of the path I took for The Floor Is Molten Rock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTpd7OFuoU8

I'm still not exactly sure what the concrete definition of 'the floor' or if any parts of Noodle can touch the ground at all.

Notice that anything above the main areas lowest level of ground is okay to touch, like the section where I moved from the green gem to yellow. I actually think its probably easier to go for green then up the slide for red, but since I've unlocked the trophy already I can't confirm, so let me know if anyone gets it that way. Make sure to keep Doodle holding your tail, and keep your tail wrapped up tight so that when he grabs the gems it doesn't hit the ground.

It wasn't easy, and took many tries, so feel free to share easier methods if you find them.

alexbull_uk

Here's a video of the path I took for The Floor Is Molten Rock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTpd7OFuoU8

Notice that anything above the main areas lowest level of ground is okay to touch, like the section where I moved from the green gem to yellow. I actually think its probably easier to go for green then up the slide for red, but since I've unlocked the trophy already I can't confirm, so let me know if anyone gets it that way. Make sure to keep Doodle holding your tail, and keep your tail wrapped up tight so that when he grabs the gems it doesn't hit the ground.

It wasn't easy, and took many tries, so feel free to share easier methods if you find them.

Dude, you're a legend. Thank you for this, I'll report back!

Does the trophy pop as soon as you earn it, or do you need to finish the level first?

Edit: I did it! Totally ripped off your method lol. Thanks :D

Wozman23

Dude, you're a legend. Thank you for this, I'll report back!

Does the trophy pop as soon as you earn it, or do you need to finish the level first?

Edit: I did it! Totally ripped off your method lol. Thanks :D

Congrats! I'm just waiting for someone else to figure out an easy way that makes us look like idiots.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The song in the water levels is almost too good for this game. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it a lot, but it's way too evocative for what a game about a stoned snake collecting shiny trinkets.
imagine hearing aquatic ambiance in freaking donkey kong

I did the purple gem first, then down to the green.. didn't get trophy though. not sure what i am doing wrong. TBH the trophy is not clear at all.

Nice, I didn't realize you could skip the switch. I really like that this game gives you a lot of freedom in the way you finish the levels.

Make sure you post a video or a walkthrough if you figure out the floor trophy!
[

I did record one but it seems my method didn't count. ><

J_Viper

My backlog is tremendous, and I really shouldn't be buying any more games, but damn this looks so comfy. I can't resist.

OT title made me laugh hard, kudos

Skyzard

Banned
He really seems to get it at like 16 mins in when he goes "Dude, this is crazy actually" after talking about how it was cool but then having to traverse a horizontal section which was a bit tougher.
Then makes a similar statement at the end, with Jeff agreeing the whole time enthusiastically. If you get through the video they seem to be as into it as I am.

The challenge is really fun and awesome in this and totally unique, highly recommend it if you're on the fence.

alexbull_uk

I did the purple gem first, then down to the green.. didn't get trophy though. not sure what i am doing wrong. TBH the trophy is not clear at all.

I did record one but it seems my method didn't count. ><

Are you touching the floor to get to the purple gem? You need to have not touched it at all while getting two gems.

I was making the mistake of going to a gem then trying to 'fly' to another one until I saw Wozman23's video. Like you say, the trophy is really not clear on what it wants you to do.

tesqui

Just got it on Switch and loving it, but is there really no way to change the R Stick camera turn speed? It's real annoying when I'm left looking for the last collectible and it takes ages to look over ledges.

XaosWolf

Just got it on Switch and loving it, but is there really no way to change the R Stick camera turn speed? It's real annoying when I'm left looking for the last collectible and it takes ages to look over ledges.

Not right now. Its my main complaint too.

Mik2121

I got myself a Switch with Zelda and was planning on having this as my second game, since it looks like quite a bit of fun and I enjoyed what I saw at the booth at GDC.

However... the game is not available in Japan and right now I don't feel like making a different account for this stuff since you never know the silly shit Nintendo might pull off. Dino, do you know if this is coming to Japan? :(

Top Bottom