• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Club: Super Mario World: Complete goals to earn stamps! (Oct 1st - 15th)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Don't think I got my #goomba from my last post edit.

Is there a listing of the schedule for the rest of the year? I don't see anything linked in the OP but I remember some talk about what would be coming up. I'll probably need to get ahead on certain games.

I'm still slating the full schedule. Next is Super Punch-Out, then Star Fox, then F-Zero. There will be one RPG every ~3 months, and the first one of those will be Earthbound.

SpikeDaPenguin

Neo Member
Better late then never. Just beat the game. Upon replaying after so many years, I never knew that the music slightly changed when you got on/off Yoshi. So cool!

Proof: https://twitter.com/SpikeDaPenguin/status/917956443965243392

#morton

7xd7Nbx.png

Seik

Banned
My time to get a stamp here is growing short. D:

So far I did DKC, MMX and LttP entirely and played SMW here and there on the side. I'm at Chocolate Island, tomorrow I should be good to at least finish the game to have one stamp.

So far I did DKC, MMX and LttP entirely and played SMW here and there on the side. I'm at Chocolate Island, tomorrow I should be good to at least finish the game to have one stamp.
If all else fails you can always rush the Star Road and get a stamp in just a few easy levels.

Robin64

Very excited for Super Punch-Out. As a kid, I wasn't very good at it. I could get about halfway through the game, but would give up around there.

Then I discovered Action Replay and found a code for unlimited health. Awesome! Except not, because the game knows you're using a cheat device and won't unlock the final league if you are. Your save will happily show you perfected the first three leagues, but it won't give you the final one.

This of course led to me doing it properly, getting good at the game, and eventually taking down Rick and Nick with nothing but my own skill. Love it.

Beat Bowser last night. 72 or so exits. Hopefully i'll manage to get 96 before the 15th!

#morton
#euro

If all else fails you can always rush the Star Road and get a stamp in just a few easy levels.

You're not running out of time. You can still unlock any of the rewards in any of the SNES classic club threads. So next week is Super Punch Out, if you blaze through those fast you can go back and complete the Mario ones. Or you can complete the Mario ones in the Punch Out thread then do the Mario ones. Either way.

The time line is just to promote people playing the same game as much as possible so everyone can talk about strategy and show off pictures, etc. There is no punishment for being slower or doing them out of order (short of not being able to unlock stamps from future games first).

neoemonk

I got to world 7 last night, and that's all I need to finish for my 96 exits. I did star world and and the secret area right away when I unlocked them.

I haven't played Super Punch Out since it came out, but I've enjoyed all of them. I played through the Wii one a few years back. I cut my teeth on the NES version so they were never really challenging after that.

I'm not a big input lag guy. I understand it exists, but I can adjust to it for the most part. I cannot beat Mr. Dream on the Wii U VC version of the NES Punch Out, but I can do it regularly on the Wii VC hooked up to my CRT. It's the only old game that really messes me up.

Very excited for Super Punch-Out. As a kid, I wasn't very good at it. I could get about halfway through the game, but would give up around there.

Then I discovered Action Replay and found a code for unlimited health. Awesome! Except not, because the game knows you're using a cheat device and won't unlock the final league if you are. Your save will happily show you perfected the first three leagues, but it won't give you the final one.

This of course led to me doing it properly, getting good at the game, and eventually taking down Rick and Nick with nothing but my own skill. Love it.

Cool story. It is like if Rocky had a second chapter where he picked up a drug habit then got straight, hit the gym, and took down Rick and Nick Creed.

neoemonk

I got a stamp for completing the game, but never got one for the star goal, even though I posted it days ago. Do I have to do the 96 exits to get credit for using the glitch?

Seik

Banned
You're not running out of time. You can still unlock any of the rewards in any of the SNES classic club threads. So next week is Super Punch Out, if you blaze through those fast you can go back and complete the Mario ones. Or you can complete the Mario ones in the Punch Out thread then do the Mario ones. Either way.

The time line is just to promote people playing the same game as much as possible so everyone can talk about strategy and show off pictures, etc. There is no punishment for being slower or doing them out of order (short of not being able to unlock stamps from future games first).

Oh, cool, good to know! :D

Thanks for clarifying!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I got a stamp for completing the game, but never got one for the star goal, even though I posted it days ago. Do I have to do the 96 exits to get credit for using the glitch?

If you edited the post to add a stamp, the bot didn't re-scan it. Make a new reply with the goal hashtag and it'll work. There's no dependency between goals.

TheExodu5

Banned
Know what the SNES Classic is making me appreciate? The face buttons on the controller. Perfect feel, and very quiet.

I can hardly stand going back to my X1 controller or Switch because the buttons are so damned loud and clicky.

Robin64

Know what the SNES Classic is making me appreciate? The face buttons on the controller. Perfect feel, and very quiet.

I can hardly stand going back to my X1 controller or Switch because the buttons are so damned loud and clicky.

My biggest gripe is Nintendo didn't make the damn thing USB. I'd love to use this on my Switch for games like Blaster Master Zero and Shovel Knight. But nope!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

The d-pad is worse than I remember but the buttons are way better. Shoulder buttons feel great. Laying your finger across Y+B (the standard platformer pose) is amazing because of the concave Y button for your fingertip and convex B button for the your mid-finger. Easy to mash, good travel, not mushy or clicky.

Robin64

The d-pad is worse than I remember but the buttons are way better. Shoulder buttons feel great. Laying your finger across Y+B (the standard platformer pose) is amazing because of the concave Y button for your fingertip and convex B button for the your mid-finger. Easy to mash, good travel, not mushy or clicky.

Now this is something I have never experienced. From what hear, the concave buttons are awesome, so I kind of wish we got them in Europe while keeping the Super Famicom colours.

Snes dpads were and are notorious for screwing up horizontal/vertical inputs. Eventually as kids you just learned to live with it, it's probably already killing people in SMW and they will definitely feel it come street fighter.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Now this is something I have never experienced. From what hear, the concave buttons are awesome, so I kind of wish we got them in Europe while keeping the Super Famicom colours.
I think, don't quote me, but the concave buttons are the same as nes buttons. You may be able to swap them if you have an extra controller laying around.

OmegaDL50

I was not fast enough with my cellphone to snap a picture. I wanted to capture the moment of Bowser flying away in defeat.

So I just used the rewind function. Does this work for you?

#morton

Beat it! This was actually my first time clearing the SNES version of the game. I got really good at the game through Super Mario Advance 2 when I was younger. I remember how awesome I felt when I found myself being able to get all dragon coins and exits done in a day. I kinda felt less motivated to go for all the dragon coins in this version though.

#morton

#luigi

Beat it! This was actually my first time clearing the SNES version of the game. I got really good at the game through Super Mario Advance 2 when I was younger. I remember how awesome I felt when I found myself being able to get all dragon coins and exits done in a day. I kinda felt less motivated to go for all the dragon coins in this version though.

#morton

#luigi

If the game actually tracked Dragon Coins, I'd have done it, but as it is I'd have to keep track myself and clearly that's apparently enough of a barrier for me to try.

olimpia84

Completed this over a week ago. Not much has changed, this is still the best platformer of all time. I'm surprised at how well I remember the secrets but then again I play this game every now and then. Not sure if I'll go for the 96 exits just yet, so far I'm content with just beating the game and moving on to different games.

#morton

Blizzard

Banned
Tech I never knew about: You can carry a green shell up a vine by throwing it upwards and having it touch you as you climb. You'll then either carry or kick it when you climb off the vine.

Blizzard

Banned
Without even using save states, I just got 8 flowers in the bonus game, so I'm finally remembering the timing. Sadly the middle item was a mushroom. Even more sadly, lives are meaningless without using save states. :p

Still working towards 96 exits. Taking longer than I thought. Though I am trying to do it the suggested intended way and saving the switch palaces for last.

Blizzard

Banned
Still working towards 96 exits. Taking longer than I thought. Though I am trying to do it the suggested intended way and saving the switch palaces for last.
I don't think that way is intended, it's just Cyan torturing us because he hates everything good and right. :(

*edit* The forest fortress in particular is one giant series of "screw you" scenarios after another without the switches.

neoemonk

Without even using save states, I just got 8 flowers in the bonus game, so I'm finally remembering the timing. Sadly the middle item was a mushroom. Even more sadly, lives are meaningless without using save states. :p

This is one thing I really like about the Virtual Console version. I can exit to the Wii menu and it creates a save state, so playing through the game is just one continuous playthrough.

Except for the few times where I turned the Wii off directly before exiting to the menu...

BRING ON SUPER PUNCH OUT! I'm more excited than I probably should be for the next challenge to begin.

*edit* The forest fortress in particular is one giant series of "screw you" scenarios after another without the switches.

lol, thats actually the one I'm having trouble with right now.

I believe in you! How many exits have you done? How far along are you?

I don't remember the number, but I just beat all of forest of illusion except for the forest fortress. And I'm trying to fully beat every area before moving on, mostly so I don't forget one.

spad3

About halfway there.

I finished
Star Road and the 8 Special Stages
before even getting anywhere near Bowser.
Found the first Star Road entrance in Donut Plains, used the secret exits to get around Star Road and up into the Special Zone,
now going back to finish the rest of the game to get to Bowser.

lol, thats actually the one I'm having trouble with right now.

I don't remember the number, but I just beat all of forest of illusion except for the forest fortress. And I'm trying to fully beat every area before moving on, mostly so I don't forget one.
Without switches, you need to balance when to hold back and when to rush past the jumps in the first area. If you can finish the 1st area, you're basically done with the hard part!

KayMote

I am sitting at 93 exits right now, after beating Bowser. I entered through the back door, so should I beat him again using the main entrance now to get another exit done? Does beating Bowser even count towards the exit counter? Since I had to reset the console after the credits, I'm not sure it does.

Also, what the hell happened with my game? I just beat the Special World for the very first time and suddenly the look of the overworld changed?

Kinsei

Banned
I am sitting at 93 exits right now, after beating Bowser. I entered through the back door, so should I beat him again using the main entrance now to get another exit done? Does beating Bowser even count towards the exit counter? Since I had to reset the console after the credits, I'm not sure it does.

Also, what the hell happened with my game? I just beat the Special World for the very first time and suddenly the look of the overworld changed?

Nah, the final level doesn't count towards the exit count.

Time changed from summer to fall. Some of the enemies also change like the koopas wearing Halloween costumes and the piranha plants being replaced with jack o lanterns.

Top Bottom