• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Club: Super Mario World: Complete goals to earn stamps! (Oct 1st - 15th)

Robin64

I love the idea of this, but I hope these Star Goals focus more on difficult challenges than glitches. Not being able to get them because I can break the game properly is going to infuriate me.

I think we just have a glitch this time because a) it's hard and b) there's not much else you could put for Mario World's third and hardest thing.

jiggles

Banned
I've never glitched Mario before and did the orb glitch on my second attempt. It certainly isn't difficult. I now have a busted save where the Yellow Switch Palace is done without hitting the button. You could just go back before starting the last level, pick up the glitch, then pop it at bowser and you're done?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I love the idea of this, but I hope these Star Goals focus more on difficult challenges than glitches. Not being able to get them because I can break the game properly is going to infuriate me.

Not all of them rely on glitches, but a few do -- mainly games where there isn't an obvious "most difficult" task; where I think most of the players have probably already beaten the game in the past and for whom a 100% type victory is unlikely to be something new; and where there's a lot of speedrunning resources to help you learn the glitches, and where the glitches really allow you to do something bonkers.

Currently SMW, Earthbound ("stairs" walk through walls glitch), Super Metroid (low completion % or backwards boss order), DKC (low completion % warp), and ALTTP (maybe swordless run, maybe reverse boss order), and maybe Yoshi's Island (null egg or wrong warp 1-1) have glitch goals. I haven't decided for sure, all depends whether people actually participate. The rest have skill related star goals. I will note that the glitch related star goals are probably easier in many cases than the skill related star goals.

I'm aiming to verify that all of the glitches necessary to do these runs are possible on the SNES Classic before the games go up. For SMW, I did the orb glitch but not the cloud or full memory injection glitches because frankly I'm not good enough at the game to pull those off. It took me maybe 30 minutes to learn and pull it off with the help of some videos.

I've never glitched Mario before and did the orb glitch on my second attempt. It certainly isn't difficult. I now have a busted save where the Yellow Switch Palace is done without hitting the button. You could just go back before starting the last level, pick up the glitch, then pop it at bowser and you're done?

I think if you orb Bowser the game doesn't end properly. But fun to investigate. I was having fun Orbing Yoshi's Island 3 and then watching Mario commit suicide during the victory sequence. Haha.

Really great idea! Thanks for putting this together. I was wanting to do something like this for the Nintendo Switch since there isn't any achievement/trophy system in place for that system... but this is a great fit for the SNES, and a great opportunity/excuse to replay some old favorites. I'll be joining in once I get my SNES classic later this month *knocks on wood*

To celebrate Mario a bit, here is a Halloween-themed fanart I made:

FW8DV0s.jpg

Mario and Drybones trick-or-treating, dressed up one another :D

Kinsei

Banned
This is a really neat idea. I'll definitely be participating.

I'm a bit confused on the star goal though. As far as I know you can;t actually beat the game with the orb glitch so does that mean we just have to pull it off during a playthrough or do we need to do something specific (like using the glitch to beat the switch palaces without triggering the switches)?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Im a bit confused on the star goal though. As far as I know you can;t actually beat the game with the orb glitch so does that mean we just have to pull it off during a playthrough or do we need to do something specific (like using the glitch to beat the switch palaces without triggering the switches)?

Use the orb glitch as part of your route to beat the game -- whether that means skipping a level in an 11-exit route, doing the glitched switch palace trick to make the game harder and getting a truly pure 96*, or whatever you want. Basically I just wanted a goal that encouraged people to explore a side of the game they have definitely never seen before. Make your own fun :)

Any chance of extending this first one by a week or so, or too much back-end nonsense? Or does it not lock down after the 15th?

I'm sure a lot of folks are still stuck in the struggle of just getting one. Mine isn't estimated to be delivered until 10/10, for example, although whispers suggest it might arrive at any moment, because that is how delivery works now I suppose.

If I'm alone in this request feel free to slap me around with a super scope.

Muzy72

Banned
There’s no way to properly take screenshots on this thing is there?

Regardless, I’m so in! I haven’t played so many of these gems (Mario RPG, F-Zero to name a few) so this is a great excuse to experience them all!

Skyless

Neo Member
I'm in. Half of the games I only want to reach the end. That's enough.

Combining 96* with Beating Super Mario World as strategy seems legit, doesn't it?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There’s no way to properly take screenshots on this thing is there?

Take them the way we took them to commemorate our gaming achievements in the early 90s: by awkwardly taking a few photos on our point and shoot cameras and waiting 6 weeks to drop off the roll of film at the film store and have it developed and then find out the picture turned out blurry anyway.

... but seriously, no, there's no way to take a screenshot. Your options would either be to run it through a capture card box or to take a photo of your screen with your cell phone. Of course you don't NEED to take a photo either, although if you claim to complete the entire passport with no evidence people are going to side-eye you.

Regardless, I’m so in! I haven’t played so many of these gems (Mario RPG, F-Zero to name a few) so this is a great excuse to experience them all!

Hell yeah!

I'm in. Half of the games I only want to reach the end. That's enough.

Combining 96* with Beating Super Mario World as strategy seems legit, doesn't it?

I couldn't wait and did an 11-exit run immediately after plugging in the box, but yeah there's no problem at all with combining your goals.

Any chance of extending this first one by a week or so, or too much back-end nonsense? Or does it not lock down after the 15th?

I'm sure a lot of folks are still stuck in the struggle of just getting one. Mine isn't estimated to be delivered until 10/10, for example, although whispers suggest it might arrive at any moment, because that is how delivery works now I suppose.

Nothing will lock down on the 15th (or at any point -- any goal can be turned in any time!). I agree we're probably going to have a bunch of latecomers, so I'll try to balance each game getting the exposure with moving things along so that people who knock out SMW in an afternoon don't feel like they need to wait too long.

Skyless

Neo Member
I couldn't wait and did an 11-exit run immediately after plugging in the box, but yeah there's no problem at all with combining your goals.

Haha, I just did the same, only to try the SNES Mini. The only speedrun mechanic i can. But if I can combine those two goals, I'll do this that way

Is "Tubular" the hardest level in the game?

Just played through Tubular for the first time in maybe 11-12 years and I don't see what the big deal is. Fairly easy to maneuver through the floating portion of the level. Outrageous is significantly more difficult IMO.

BTW, I immediately regret beating Star Road so early. Totally forgot about the color palette change until now.

Beefwheat

This is a fantastic idea! I'm not usually much for achievements, but this is a wonderful extrinsic motivator to explore some of the Classic Mini games that I don't know as well as Super Metroid (which is: most of them).

I'm probably going to leave work early to start on SMW :D

tm24

Oh im totally game for this. I immediately have 3 stories about 5 year old me and the SNES

1. My parents took me to my dad's hometown in Mexico for my 5th bday to have my dad's family know my mom and me and my siblings. For reasons unknown to me, we took my NES. Up until the SNES classic release today, i was under the impression it broke on the day before we left and it stayed behind in Mexico. But then 2 weeks after coming back from Mexico we went to LA to visit my uncle and we he, my dad and I went to Toys R Us. We got my brother an annoying talking Barney doll and i vividly remember pulling the slip out to buy the SNES. I think my dad masterminded a plan to upgrade my console system to an SNES

2. My dad spent days taunting me that I couldn't figure out how to beat Bowser. Seriously, does the game at any time tell you you can do the kick thing? Or was 5 year old me just not into reading yet? EDIT: Game tells you right on stage 1. 5 year old me shouldve read the tutorial boxes

3. I thought I broke the game when i beat Special World and the game did the season changing thing. It confused the hell out of me and i thought my game was broken for good. Also, i really dont remember having a hard time in the Special World. Like Tubular was a fun level to 5 year old me

Mr. Hyde

I've been itching for a replay of Super Mario World for an age, so I will be in! I should have mine tonight.

I remember getting an SNES and this game. Our house was robbed and they stole all my NES games/system and a bunch of other stuff. Once we got a check from insurance, my dad bought my brother and I a Snes and Super Mario World. I remember being blown away.

chronomac

This is an awesome idea for a thread series with great execution to boot.

I've somehow only beaten Super Mario World once (on the Wii U) so this is as good a reason as any to do it again.

For anyone else stuck waiting enjoy the Super Mario World manual story.

"As they began their journey, Yoshi handed Mario a beautiful cape. 'This may help you,' Yoshi said. 'Some say it has magical powers.'"

Excuse me?

Ooooh this is also a great idea. We could do manual scans of the story for each game, and maybe scans of other manual pages if there's some cool artwork or something interesting (looking at you, Cranky Kong!).

I want to encourage anyone doing this goal to do it the intended way--the last four levels you beat are the four switch palaces. :D

Is this even possible? How do you get capes for all the flying challenges without having green blocks active? Shit, now I want to try this...

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
to celibrate this amazing thread i made some fan art for the first game.
feel free to print it out and use it on your original box from super mario world

1P5gobT.png

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'm in, got mine today. Not sure If I'll manage to get 96 in 2 weeks (depends on my free time of course) but we'll see!

It's a freely distributed manual by the rights owners themselves. The link to as much is in the OP, written by a mod. Why are people gnawing their fingernails on this point.

Maybe linking directly to an image is a bridge too far so I removed my picture above. Wasn't mine anyway, just searched for it.

Referencing a page # should be easy enough, I think.

I missed the link.

I love looking at those manuals. They're quirky and endearing in just the right ways.

Should check out the Japanese manuals too then.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clvs/manuals/ja/index.html

tm24

Some other random things i remember. What doors does everyone choose in Front Door? I remember 2 being the easiest and 5 being easy after you figure out the first spike. Those were the only ones i could do as a kid so ima try different combinations since i dont think ive ever completed the others

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Some other random things i remember. What doors does everyone choose in Front Door? I remember 2 being the easiest and 5 being easy after you figure out the first spike. Those were the only ones i could do as a kid so ima try different combinations since i dont think ive ever completed the others

2 is definitely the easiest in the first set of doors. 5 is the easiest in the second set once you learn it, but I pick 7 if I'm gunshy on the timing. 6 is probably the hardest, but also has a powerup box if you think that's useful.

Lost the younger daughter. Me and my eldest (7) just made it to world 4. The goal is to for her to beat the normal levels and I get the secret/hard exits. I've still got most of the exits memorized... But a couple are eluding my brain, so I just puzzle through. Monet of them are to hard at least.

Blizzard

Banned
Not all of them rely on glitches, but a few do -- mainly games where there isn't an obvious "most difficult" task; where I think most of the players have probably already beaten the game in the past and for whom a 100% type victory is unlikely to be something new; and where there's a lot of speedrunning resources to help you learn the glitches, and where the glitches really allow you to do something bonkers.

Currently SMW, Earthbound ("stairs" walk through walls glitch), Super Metroid (low completion % or backwards boss order), DKC (low completion % warp), and ALTTP (maybe swordless run, maybe reverse boss order), and maybe Yoshi's Island (null egg or wrong warp 1-1) have glitch goals. I haven't decided for sure, all depends whether people actually participate. The rest have skill related star goals. I will note that the glitch related star goals are probably easier in many cases than the skill related star goals.

I'm aiming to verify that all of the glitches necessary to do these runs are possible on the SNES Classic before the games go up. For SMW, I did the orb glitch but not the cloud or full memory injection glitches because frankly I'm not good enough at the game to pull those off. It took me maybe 30 minutes to learn and pull it off with the help of some videos.

I think if you orb Bowser the game doesn't end properly. But fun to investigate. I was having fun Orbing Yoshi's Island 3 and then watching Mario commit suicide during the victory sequence. Haha.
I'll also echo that I'd strongly prefer glitchless goals in general. A couple of glitch goals might be okay.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
was Forest of Illusion 2 with those underwater urchins always so laggy, gaaaadaaaaaaamn.

The worst level in the entire game IMHO. Unfun, poorly performing. The secret exit is vaguely interesting but besides that? Junk it, bro. Yeah, it's super laggy. That section and Bowser's castle back entrance hall are the two real laggy sequences in the game.

Feeroper

This thread is such a great idea! I'm going to give it a shot!

Did anything like this ever happen when the NES Classic was released last year?

Top Bottom