• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Club: Super Mario World: Complete goals to earn stamps! (Oct 1st - 15th)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Did anything like this ever happen when the NES Classic was released last year?

Despite repeated hints, my wife never pre-ordered me one, so I never got one. Otherwise I would have done this then. But also the NES Classic had some actual duds in the mix, whereas the SNES Classic is all killer no filler.

Blizzard

Banned
I thought Nintendo fans hated trophies?
Since when? Nintendo fans have been playing Pokemon and collecting little badges since time immemorial, and games like Link's Awakening, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, or Mario 64 give you little tracking markers or rewards specifically depending on what you've accomplished.

We've gotten to castle 5, is looking like we'll have it beat today, but not sure yet of we'll have time for all exits today. Didn't think my eldest would be this dedicated. Shouldn't be too surprised, she's been playing Mario 3 and Kirby on my rebuilt NES since she was 3.

yyr

I want to encourage anyone doing this goal to do it the intended way--the last four levels you beat are the four switch palaces. :D

ooh...that is NASTY!

I actually just replayed this on 3DS recently, but now that you suggested it, I think I'll do it this way on the SNES Classic =)

I'm slowing myself down trying to get all the gold coins. And I didn't know that resetting using the controller made you lose all your lives. Bye bye 45 extra lives :(

We just cleared star road and unlocked special world (mostly to quickly get to the restock area) and are tackling world 6. Make is still high, though my daughter is starting to get worried seeing Bowser loom ever closer.

Leynos

When the 16-bit era rolled around, my mother bought my brothers, and me a Sega Genesis, and we had many a great time with it: Sonic the Hedgehog, Beyond Oasis, Contra Hard Corps, 688 Attack Sub, etc.

But...

That is not to say that I also didn't look with envy towards those that had a Super Nintendo. My neighbors across the street, who I at the time thought were positively ancient, had a coveted Super Nintendo. As far as I knew, they were the only people in our neighborhood who had one as the rest of us were Sega households.

In truth, they were probably only in their 50s, and had the system mostly for younger family members. They did invite my brothers, and me over to play once, but that was the only time. Every time that I passed the house, I saw it sitting there, neglected, under the TV collecting dust. Such a waste.

The only time, as a kid, that I got to really play a Super Nintendo was when I went to visit my cousins who had moved to Southern California. They had one with Super Mario World, and some Street Fighter 2 game. Super Mario World was sheer joy, and I definitely prefer it over Sonic. Street Fighter 2 was fun in small doses, but SMW was what I lusted over.

Love the idea of this. Totally down with going after some of these goals for each game. Can't guarantee I'll clear the RPG's though, not sure I'll have that much free time but I'll certainly give it a shot.

Laws00

id cheat but...........still to this day since i've beaten the game countless times and i can not for the life of me get past 94 and it pisses me off

Terrorblot

I'm gonna try and go for *96! Me and my friends have done it countless times but I have to admit it's been awhile, typically when I'm feeling nostalgic I just go straight for Star Road, but I'm raring to see all the old worlds, I actually don't even remember most of the last world's levels so this will be a blast! I can't wait for Donkey Kong Country too! :)

id cheat but...........still to this day since i've beaten the game countless times and i can not for the life of me get past 94 and it pisses me off

So much of my young life was free to pursue these exits... I didn't even know that the color of the levels told you how many exits a level had till well after I collected them all.

Progress update: 2 levels away from world 7, 90% sure we've gotten all exits so far. I might "abandon" my daughter when we get to world 7 to take on the special world.

That's why the OP has a link to all the secret exits. Do it. Do it. 96*. Do it!

I'm glad the resource is there for those that need or want it, but everyone should at least try blind :) so fun on the levels I've forgotten.

Leynos

Thinking about it, I will join in the fun, but will have to do so using the GBA version as I had to sell my Super Nintendo a few years ago to make some scratch in a desperate bid to not get evicted.

We got evicted soon afterwards anyways when my car broke down, and I had to quit my job working for Sony as a QA tester. So, I sold off my Super Nintendo, Wii, PS3, and Saturn collections for nothing!! I am still angry about it years later.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Thinking about it, I will join in the fun, but will have to do so using the GBA version as I had to sell my Super Nintendo a couple of years ago to make some scratch in a desperate bid to not get evicted.

Well, I think if I had to choose between SNES and paying rent, I'd pay rent, but it wouldn't be an easy decision. You're welcome to join in on GBA for any game that has a GBA version!

Mcdohl

Should have added stamps related to the recent developments to make runs more interesting even for veterans.

• Kill a Big Boo without using a Star
  • Ethical Run / PETA Run (finish the game without smacking Yoshi in the head)

Great thread idea. SMW was the first game I ever played and it might be my earliest childhood memory. I remember waking up from a nap and my dad brought home the SNES (not the sness like some disgusting thread we just had), he hooked it up and I started to play. I've since beaten it easily 100 times to completion and hundreds more quick runs to stomp Bowser.

A couple of my favourite memories involving this game:

1) My dad picked up the SNES at Zellers (Canadian retail store) and they threw in a free strategy guide. I had a great time finding secrets but I ended up finding a few that weren't in there. I felt so proud finding stuff that no one else knew about in a pre-internet age.

2) Countless speed runs to amuse people. If someone has an old SNES in their house/dorm/cottage I usually beat Bowser in 15-20 minutes (depending how Rusty I am) to their disbelief. I thought it was common knowledge how quickly you could get through that game.

3) In highschool we had a bunch of TVs in our Cafe and one day someone brought in their SNES and hooked it up. I asked to play a level. I quickly blitzed through Yoshi's Island 3, pulling off stupid jumps and just showing off. Capped it off by jumping off Yoshi at the very end for extra air and hitting the 50 for the 3up. People lost their shit.

Despite beating this game hundreds of times, I never have attempted any of the glitch stuff. I've encountered a few by accident over the years but never tried intentionally to get any. I'll be trying one of the ways to do something new this time.

Hope everyone has a great time revisiting this gem and if it's your first time, enjoy!

AsakuraZ

Subscribed! This is a great idea and will definitely keep me motivated to play through all the games. Should just sticky this bad boy!

Just picked up mine today, so I'm sure the GF and I are going to be playing a lot of Mario World tonight.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Do lives reset if you save and reset? I have 40 lives after the first three worlds, and have only dared to do save states so far

Beefwheat

This ain't my first 96* rodeo, but it is the first time I've ever gotten through Soda Lake on the first try of a new save. So obviously I'm STRONGER THAN NEVER, EVER BEFORE

Just started SMW. Cool!

/noob alert
Does anyone know how to use save states? Or when can you save in SMW? Do I have to go back to the start or something?

WISC7Ih.jpg

Me and my eldest daughter took out all exits without help in one day! #morton #luigi

I'll do my research on the glitches and we'll knock out that last one tomorrow :)

alf717

Think I'll give this a go. #us Had to do a Mega Man X play through first however :) The classic made me feel like it was Christmas of 94' all over again.

Figgles

One of my favorite games of all time... and the only one of those that I have never beaten. Going to rectify that with the classic. Played a few levels, and it is still as good as I remember.

Boke1879

Me and my eldest daughter took out all exits without help in one day! #morton #luigi

I'll do my research on the glitches and we'll knock out that last one tomorrow :)

Good stuff man.

I'm definitely trying to do the first two goals in one playthrough. Then I'll do what you're doing and research the glitches and knock that one out.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Think I'll give this a go. #us Had to do a Mega Man X play through first however :) The classic made me feel like it was Christmas of 94' all over again.

If you're a big fan of the blue bomber I hope you'll replay it when the Club tackles MMX end of May / beginning of June. And yes, killing Sigma with Shoryuken will absolutely be a stamp goal!

RockmanBN

If you're a big fan of the blue bomber I hope you'll replay it when the Club tackles MMX end of May / beginning of June. And yes, killing Sigma with Shoryuken will absolutely be a stamp goal!

*Hadouken

Love that the save stated show total time when saving. Will be fun to see people's times when completing each game.

Dumb question. How can you get back to the title screen to see your progress when the save system is done through save states? Thanks in advance.

Tunoku

Haven't played most of these, so I'm looking forward to get a chance and catch up with some classics.

Bummer that Earthbound is in the same month as Xenoblade 2. That's gonna be hard to pull off.

Figgles

Haven't played most of these, so I'm looking forward to get a chance and catch up with some classics.

Bummer that Earthbound is in the same month as Xenoblade 2. That's gonna be hard to pull off.

Plow through the rest and start early. Super Mario World should go fast.

Hmm, might as well give this a shot. I've been playing Mario World anyway. At the very least I can rush to the end and beat it. Not sure if I'll go for all exits though.

Top Bottom