• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Club: Super Mario World: Complete goals to earn stamps! (Oct 1st - 15th)

In order: Earthbound (beat game / all photos / stairs glitch your way to the end), FF6 (world of balance / beat the game / haven't decided between "get all rages" and "beat the game with minimum party complement"), Mana, Super Mario RPG. SMRPG will be the big finale.

Perfect. In a year's time I'll totally be up for more Super Mario RPG, so I'll do a slow refresher run now.

Are people just doing the glitch and then completing the stamp? Because I thought you were then supposed to beat the game that way.

I asked that question earlier and didn't get a response. I did take the glitched item and used it in Bowser's castle for what that's worth :)

Are people just doing the glitch and then completing the stamp? Because I thought you were then supposed to beat the game that way.

My plan is to get the cloud glitch and take it to the bowser fight to glitch his ai timers. I get the sense that the orb glitch doesn't work to see the credits.

Drain You

SDs2gqW.jpg

Found this the other day, I must have felt pretty accomplished or something lol.

Can't wait to start SMW later tonight.

Killed myself in hidden fortress thinking that a gap in the ceiling was jumpable but I was big mario so I crouched jumped into the gap, but then the screen scrolled up and I found myself clipped into a ceiling being dragged into a solid wall. Insta-death.

BumRush

I wish the first month was only one game for all of October. The UK SNES' shipped to the US (Amazon) have an arrival estimate of 10/17 :(

I wish the first month was only one game for all of October. The UK SNES' shipped to the US (Amazon) have an arrival estimate of 10/17 :(

The dates are to curate discussion, not to punish late arrivals. You can do the goals at any time in any order once they are announced.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

It's tough because there's no speed that will be slow enough for late entrants while being fast enough for early entrants. I really wasn't counting on catastrophic shipping delays. I'll keep this in mind though -- I'll make sure when we move on to Super Punch-Out!! that the info for Mario World will still be available and front and center and I'll probably make it a separate thread so that this one can keep going!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Should have added stamps related to the recent developments to make runs more interesting even for veterans.

• Kill a Big Boo without using a Star
  • Ethical Run / PETA Run (finish the game without smacking Yoshi in the head)

To get every exit in the game requires killing a big boo without a star (the Donut Plains secret ghost house Starworld exit).

Fantastic thread, Stump. I'll be participating as soon as I get my superior european super nintendo mini.

I want to encourage anyone doing this goal to do it the intended way--the last four levels you beat are the four switch palaces. :D

I've actually been meaning to do this for ever. It's time I do it.

#euro

BumRush

It's tough because there's no speed that will be slow enough for late entrants while being fast enough for early entrants. I really wasn't counting on catastrophic shipping delays. I'll keep this in mind though -- I'll make sure when we move on to Super Punch-Out!! that the info for Mario World will still be available and front and center and I'll probably make it a separate thread so that this one can keep going!

Greatly appreciated! And awesome thread.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
so #euro

(my petite snaisse is still crossing the North Sea)

gattsu

How do people feel about using the savestates for this game? I found myself almost abusing it a few times and yes, it saved me a good 10-15 min of backtracking, it felt like it wasn't the way I was intended to play - the levels should be learned and memorized and mastered to give he "true" feeling of accomplishment and fun. I felt like I was hindering my enjoyment of the game almost.

How do people feel about using the savestates for this game? I found myself almost abusing it a few times and yes, it saved me a good 10-15 min of backtracking, it felt like it wasn't the way I was intended to play - the levels should be learned and memorized and mastered to give he "true" feeling of accomplishment and fun. I felt like I was hindering my enjoyment of the game almost.

Didn't use them once on the 96* run, only used them when I was practicing the orb glitch. Play the way you enjoy, don't worry about the stigma if you do, just don't be afraid to give it a couple tries without.

Getting FTP access on there is super easy. Even now before we can put custom stuff on there, we have FTP access. It's how Star Fox 2 was dumped etc.
I of course meant legitimately, as I assumed the person asking about screenshots was as well.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Awesome initiative! I own the original carts, but i will try to join you for the games i havent played comprehensively, like Super Punch Out! Hope a lot of gamers with this get to experience what is probably the best collection of games ever.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It looks like nobody answered this, so: the game will ask you to save at certain times (like completing Ghost Houses or Castles, f'rinstance). Do that and then just run the game fresh instead of loading your save state.
I had the same question so thank you. Up to 51 right now.

Havok1313

So SMW definitely has some extra slowdown here on top of what it originally had right? Forest of Illusion 2 just had some moments that seemed about 5 FPS..

cyba89

It's been probably over a decade since I last did a full 96 exit playthrough of SMW so let's see how much I can still manage from memory. Already completed worlds 1, 2 and 4 and remembered every exit pretty well so far.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So SMW definitely has some extra slowdown here on top of what it originally had right? Forest of Illusion 2 just had some moments that seemed about 5 FPS..

Believe it or not, it's like that in the base game. That and the disco ball hallway at the end of Bowser's Castle are the two laggiest portions of the game.

Havok1313

Believe it or not, it's like that in the base game. That and the disco ball hallway at the end of Bowser's Castle are the two laggiest portions of the game.

I'll take your word for it, but man I don't remember it being that bad.

Is this the game where lives became kind of meaningless? I'm only halfway done and have like 50 lives without trying.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Your lives reset to 5 if you actually power off the console and reload. So for the median kid in 1991 itMs not impossible to game over but it isn't easy either because 1ups are so plentiful

Nairume

Banned
#morton

Will probably go back for the other two stamps soon, but I wanted to go ahead and get the easiest one out of the way and get the low exit win.

Fun thing for me is that I pretty much had to play that way the most as a kid. The copy of SMW I bought off a friend had been smashed open and no longer had a save battery. My sister and I basically had to get good at speed running the game out of neccesity if we ever wanted to see the ending :p

Fun thing for me is that I pretty much had to play that way the most as a kid. The copy of SMW I bought off a friend had been smashed open and no longer had a save battery. My sister and I basically had to get good at speed running the game out of neccesity if we ever wanted to see the ending :p

Could have been a good opportunity to practice your soldering!

You can cheese it for extra lives if I recall correctly, so there's that.

Yeah, if
you're either big or fire, if you get in a pattern
you can easily get 3x3
You can with
a cape too, but it's easy to throw it off by floating
And I'm not sure if you can
while small or not

Also you can cheese the minigame where you have to pick the 2 blocks with coins inside to have the last one be a 1-up by
having the cape, and hitting the side of the first 2 blocks with your cape, and they'll always be coins, and then the last one will be the 1-up.

Spoilers for a 26-year-old game.

Subbed, gonna start playing in the week. This is a cool added motivation to play, kind of like a makeshift Achievement system :)

#euro

Beat all of the Star World levels each way (doing them the "wrong" way is always my least-favorite thing. And easiest to miss thing, along with
the "backwards" way of the ghost house in the Forest of Illusion
(I know it serves a purpose if you hadn't gotten the path the other way, but still)

Probably finish up Donut Plains tonight and call it a day on this.

F34R

I was trying to figure a way to get in this a little different than the norm. Well, look what I found in a drawer full of "old stuff" lol.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This is the coolest thing ever. I hope I can find a SNES Classic soon so that I can partake :)

Top Bottom