• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Club: Super Mario World: Complete goals to earn stamps! (Oct 1st - 15th)

jholmes

Still working towards 96 exits. Taking longer than I thought. Though I am trying to do it the suggested intended way and saving the switch palaces for last.

That's very much not the intended way but getting all exits except the switch palaces is a really neat challenge. There are some exits you have to be crafty about and some levels, especially some of the castles, become a lot harder. I've done these no-palace 100% runs twice and they're a great way to ramp up the difficulty.

Me, I just gotta clear out Valley of Bowser to get 96*, I didn't think I would bother but what can I say, I know the game well and I still love it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anyone ever watch the Super Mario World cartoon? It gets less attention than the Super Mario Bros. Super Show cartoon or the Super Mario Bros 3 cartoon but it's still pretty good 80s cheese. I loved the theme song as a kid. The animation is so bad. It uses the music directly from the game, which is awesome. To me the cool thing about it is that it tries to take all of the mechanics of the game as canon in the world of the cartoon so a lot of the scenarios make no sense except in game logic.

Here's a playlist of all the episodes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCgS64Le_PA&list=PL7F9A88911148633F

"Send in the Clowns" is the episode I remember the most.

The complete series is $6.83 on DVD:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOZRSPI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

20171012_175900_zps1khonof8.jpg

#morton

Been putting this off for so long, I doubt I can do the second goal. So I did the Star Road run to get it out of the way.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Been putting this off for so long, I doubt I can do the second goal. So I did the Star Road run to get it out of the way.

You can always do it later. There's no strict timeline. The club will be focusing on a new game in a few days but you can still turn in older goals!

Blizzard

Banned
I have 70 stars including half the special world, and no switches. I -might- make 96 in time, but the later levels become really annoying.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I assume that it's cool to keep posting to here even when the game club moves on to the next game? Or will the thread stay the same and the title will just update?

Dad

Are Yoshi's orange arms some sort of SNES color palette limitation? Because they make me irrationally upset

Cape makes the first goal and most of the second rather easy. I had trouble with some Special world and later Bowser stages, but otherwise, it was a solid romp. Never got the 96 exit before, so that's cool. My brother also did it, too.

Screenshot:

#morton
#luigi

Blizzard

Banned
Going for 96 exits has made me detest a whole bunch of things in the game.

I hate:
  • Pretty much any water level.
  • Pretty much any ghost level.
  • Any autoscrolling level.
  • Any ice floor level.
  • Any time a charging chuck shows up in all his various forms.
  • Yoshi's AI forcing him to race for the nearest pit while simultaneously giving you instant damage due to whatever hit you.
  • That you can't disable the top-of-screen item drop, since special levels essentially require perfection or you're guaranteed to lose BOTH items because the second item drops even if you were going to lose the level anyway.
  • Cyan for forcing me to do the no-switch route.

I shall become a bitter old man whenever I remember this game now. :p

Note to self, don't quote or edit posts to get stamps. Really screwed that up.

#luigi

People aren't beating Bowser both ways? That's lame, you gotta swing both ways.

I did. Went through the back door (didn't know this was a thing until now) during my 96 exit run, then went through the front when using the orb glitch.

Kinsei

Banned
Going for 96 exits has made me detest a whole bunch of things in the game.

I hate:
  • Pretty much any water level.
  • Pretty much any ghost level.

I shall become a bitter old man whenever I remember this game now. :p

:( I love both of those level types.

Blizzard

Banned
Try choco island 2 (I think). It has two regular exits and one secret one depending on the time you take and the coins you collect.

Each star road has two exits.
I thought that choco island level only has 1 regular exit and 1 secret exit, and either giant gate gives you the same outcome? I could be wrong though.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Two more days until Super Punch Out!

I've practiced a little while waiting and playing Secret of Mana. Might just full replay SoM again when the time comes for that (or not with the remake coming out. Please Lord don't let it suck)

Waiting for the official SoM thread but I'm compiling a few notes to help first timers through the game. Not sure if we have any, but boy are they in for a hell of an adventure and possibly the best OST in gaming history!

traveler

Not Wario

#morton

This was my first ever playthrough of the game. I've played bits and pieces in the past and completed literally every other Mario platformer (aside from maybe Land 1?) yet despite growing up with and loving the series, somehow never got around to finishing this one.

While I still prefer the pure platforming of 3 more and the creativity of Yoshi's Island more- its two nearest relatives by release date- there's a lot I didn't appreciate here in the past that I see now. The sense of exploration feels makes the game almost feel like a 2d predecessor to 64 and Sunshine, with exits standing in place of stars or shines. The game has a great difficulty curve that starts out easier but much more regularly climbs in difficulty than modern Mario efforts. Finally got the hang of the cape and it's not as "skip level" as I recall criticizing it as before. Most levels either account for the fact that you can have a cape and block you, or make it part of the challenge of finding a secret exit. It's definitely a worthy addition to the stable of mario powerups.

Really enjoyed this. I'll dive back in for the secret exits now. Still got a long way to go on those. Depending on how much time I have after doing those, may shoot for the glitch objective too. Thanks for putting this together Stump

RaginRoss

Done! #luigi

Such an incredible game.

Last exit I needed was the secret on Valley Ghost House that takes you to Larry's castle. Took a good few trips around the entire world map to figure out that was where it was.

Robin64

Stuck at 95 exists.

Did Bowser from front and back door.
Do you have to reset after the credits?

Nope. They don't even count as exits, I got *96 before killing Bowser in either door.

I would suggest beat all the Star Road levels again the normal way, and giving Forest of Illusion another once over. Several levels there make the same path appear.

jennetics

I've never beaten a side scrolling Mario game in my life, and I've never played Super Mario World before this. I hate to admit it but this game is kicking my ass!

RaginRoss

Stuck at 95 exists.

Did Bowser from front and back door.
Do you have to reset after the credits?

You got Top Secret Area, above the Donut Ghost House?

Final one for me as I'd mentioned above was Valley Ghost House to Larry's Castle. Got that?

Vuapol

I played the hell outta Super Mario World Advance as a kid. This was a nice trip down memory lane, though I definitely flew through this quicker now than back then for obvious reasons. However, so many of the secret exits are so dastardly. I don't like how completing the game effectively bricks the save state, I enjoyed being able to keep track of my play time. Had to continue on with a new one. Still an incredibly fun game and one of the best controlling platformers out there.

Still prefer Yoshi's Island. ;)

#morton
#luigi

KayMote

Man, I hate that there is no ingame level list. I've been playing for more than 2 hours and I am still at 95 exits with no idea where the last one could be... it's really frustrating since I'm apparentlty just replaying old levels for the dozens of time. I guess I have to replay the entire game again from scratch just to be sure. Sucks.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Man, I hate that there is no ingame level list. I've been playing for more than 2 hours and I am still at 95 exits with no idea where the last one could be... it's really frustrating since I'm apparentlty just replaying old levels for the dozens of time. I guess I have to replay the entire game again from scratch just to be sure. Sucks.

You'll be fine. Check the same set of levels people have been posting every 10 or so posts for the last 10 pages.

1. Regular exits for all of the Star Road levels
2. Forest Ghost House (also make sure your map looks like a completed Forest Map)
3. Valley Ghost House
4. Donut Plains Ghost House -> Top Secret
5. Both exits for the time based chocolate island level

Everything else is visually obvious.

I have to admit I'm a little surprised that Top Secret Area is an often missed spot. For obvious reasons it was my home base whenever I played SMW back in the day. Plus you can get 4 easy 1-ups and a save point right next door in the Donut Plains Ghost House.

Robin64

Though the GBA one didn't change too much (it added that exits completed list someone in this very thread wanted, mind!), it did add a cute little icon to Top Secret Area. I liked that.

AnssQR9.png

Dad

#morton #luigi

Did the full 96 exits for the first time just a couple of years ago, but it was still nice to go back and play through it all again. The Special World was easier than I remembered it being, even if Way Cool of all things completely destroyed me

Even took Cyan's advice and saved the Switch Palaces for last

Maybe I'll get around to playing Super Mario Bros. 3 some day

neoemonk

While waiting for Super Punch Out I went back and started working on New Super Mario Bros Wii. I never got all the coins in that, New SMB U, or the Luigi expansion. Monday can’t come soon enough!

Dorygrant

As a kid, discovering the Top Secret area from a friend was one of the most mind blowing/game changing things ever. So many years of never knowing about it. I also was never able to figure out how to get to Soda Lake below the bridge. I always thought that one star road was just like for kicks and lead no where lol.

Blizzard

Banned
It only took me like 15 tries to get through the second half of Wendy Koopa's castle. I grew to hate the camera controls, even when I'd manually make it scroll right.

Blizzard

Banned
You'll be fine. Check the same set of levels people have been posting every 10 or so posts for the last 10 pages.

1. Regular exits for all of the Star Road levels
2. Forest Ghost House (also make sure your map looks like a completed Forest Map)
3. Valley Ghost House
4. Donut Plains Ghost House -> Top Secret
5. Both exits for the time based chocolate island level

Everything else is visually obvious.
I'm now in the same boat as other people. I have 84, missing the last 2 special levels, 4 switch levels, and 5 Bowser's valley levels. The non-switch levels will put me at 91, when I need 92.

I have Top Secret.

I have all regular Star Road levels I'm pretty sure (I just double-checked the last one, but I was trying to be very careful about every one and get almost very double exit when I did any branch level).

I have both ghost house exits for all ghost houses that have 2 exits (all except
vanilla and chocolate
), including the Bowser's Valley ghost house.

I have all the chocolate island double exits, including the time-difference double exits.

I'm going to double check the forest ghost house I guess, but my forest looks completed otherwise.

There aren't any levels with 3 exits for tracking purposes, correct?

Kinsei

Banned
I'm now in the same boat as other people. I have 84, missing the last 2 special levels, 4 switch levels, and 5 Bowser's valley levels. The non-switch levels will put me at 91, when I need 92.

I have Top Secret.

I have all regular Star Road levels I'm pretty sure (I just double-checked the last one, but I was trying to be very careful about every one and get almost very double exit when I did any branch level).

I have both ghost house exits for all ghost houses that have 2 exits (all except
vanilla and chocolate
), including the Bowser's Valley ghost house.

I have all the chocolate island double exits, including the time-difference double exits.

I'm going to double check the forest ghost house I guess, but my forest looks completed otherwise.

There aren't any levels with 3 exits for tracking purposes, correct?

There are no levels with 3 exits.

The forest looking complete doesn't mean you have everything. There are exits that open up paths you already opened from a previous stage. For example the secret exit in Forest of Illusion 1 opens a path to the ghost house, but then the ghost house has an exit which just sends you right back to Forest of Illusion 1.

Blizzard

Banned
There are no levels with 3 exits.

The forest looking complete doesn't mean you have everything. There are exits that open up paths you already opened from a previous stage. For example the secret exit in Forest of Illusion 1 opens a path to the ghost house, but then the ghost house has an exit which just sends you right back to Forest of Illusion 1.
I just checked both exits in the forest ghost house, so that's not it. I've done both exits in every single ghost house that has them. Are there any others in the forest that double back with a completed map?

Kinsei

Banned
I just checked both exits in the forest ghost house, so that's not it. I've done both exits in every single ghost house that has them. Are there any others in the forest that double back with a completed map?

Well if it's not the ghost house then it's possible that you forgot to get the exit in Forest of Illusion 1.

There isn't any other exits that double back on a route you've already opened. Here's a full map of the game with all the exits found. Maybe it will help you spot the exit you missed. http://deanyd.net/smw/images/7/72/WorldMap.png

Top Bottom