• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Club: Super Punch-Out!!: Complete goals to earn stamps! (Oct 16th-31st)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
1tdzOUy.png

Uso5FpRl.jpg

Original Release Info:
Publisher: Nintendo
Release Date: September 14, 1994 (US); January 26, 1995 (EU); March 1, 1998 (JP, exclusive to the "Nintendo Power" download service)​

Cool Videos and Links:
Speedrun World Record: 2:43.47 by zallard1
SGDQ Blindfolded Run: 24:09 by zallard1
Guide for Boss Patterns / Perfect Run: By William5000000
A cool t-shirt of the bosses: NerdFuel on Etsy
Nintendo's scan of the game manual: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clvs/manuals/common/pdf/CLV-P-SAAXE.pdf
GameFAQs: https://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588747-super-punch-out/faqs

Play Dates:
We'll be playing this game over the next two weeks, from October 16th to October 31st. Feel free to reply with your favorite opponents, screenshots, your own experiences buying or playing the game as a kid, or questions as you progress through the game. Take photos and share them. You can also feel free to keep using this thread after we've moved on!

On November 1st, we move on to Star Fox.

Food for thought:
How is this a world where professional boxing doesn't have weight classes at all? Who's your least favorite opponent and why is it <x>? Can we get the Mike Tyson license back? Do the racial caricatures seem a little weird in 2017 or is it all in good fun (oh god please don't derail the thread)? What the hell happened to the Bruiser Brothers as children that their heads are shaped that way? Do you feel bad for Glass Joe #deepestlore?

DID YOU KNOW: Hold L & R on the second controller at the startup Nintendo logo to enter a hidden sound test.

DID YOU KNOW: Hold X & A on the menu while selecting "New Game" and you can enter your name in Japanese.

Hf1KfJ5.png
pDey1b9.png
x3QkaCv.gif

nXiQzqi.png

What's a SNES Classic Passport?
A SNES Classic Passport is a fun way to keep track of your participation in our SNES Classic Club. The passport will keep track of all the goals you've completed while playing the SNES Classic games. Each goal you complete will earn you a stamp! Try to complete them all for bragging rights.​

How do I get one?
Simply complete any of our SNES Classic club goals and report them on NeoGAF. SNESBot will send you a PM with your updated, stamped passport -- feel free to post your passport in these threads to share with others!​

How do I report a completed goal?
Just reply to this thread with the special goal hashtag that matches the goal you've completed. That's right, this is based on the honor system. Don't cheat! How do you know which hashtags match which goals? Continue below to find out this game's goals. You can reply with any goal hashtags in any SNES Classic Club thread, so if you're completing goals for a previous game, you can post them here or in the thread originally associated with the game! Optionally, include a photo of your accomplishment for posterity -- and the bot will stitch together a diary of your playthrough photos early next year! Confused? Click this tutorial reply screenshot to see an example of reporting a completed goal.

Can I play along without a SNES Classic?
Duh. SNES, Virtual Console, SNES Classic, Emulation -- however you want to play the game, play it.​

How do I get a European SNES Classic Passport?
Just reply to this thread including the word #euro in the body of your post to switch to the (inferior) European SNES colour scheme. If you get tired of the colours, just reply to the thread including the word #us in the body of your post to switch back!​

What's a star goal?
A star goal is the hardest goal for each SNES Classic game. These special goals are marked with a star on your SNES Classic Passport!​

T1zYXT9.png

Your objectives in this game are:
1. Beat Super Macho Man -- This puts you 3/4s of the way through the game and is about where I think the game goes from "pretty manageable with practice" to "holy moly" hard. Hashtag #tko
2. Beat the Game (No Save States). You can use save states at the end of each circuit to do it in multiple sessions, but no using save states to dodge punches, repeat fights, etc. Hashtag #wvba
nskbRcT.gif
3. Beat the first league blindfolded OR 3. Beat every opponent with "Quick Kills" -- Again, the point of these is to really stretch you beyond what you thought was possible. If you do the blindfolded goal it'd be amazing to see you post a video (please turn comments off and mark as unlisted if you are uploading the video to YouTube, I'll delete any videos in this thread not following this rule) of your feat. Famously, every Punch-Out! game can be beaten this way, the question is whether you can hone your reflexes and your senses enough to do so. Here's a video of an actual crazy person doing it in front of a live audience. Quick-kills implies that you get a time better than any on the leaderboard, get true KOs where possible, and generally put up times a casual playthrough wouldn't believe possible. If you do the quick-kills goal post a picture of your times. Hashtag #vodka

40YfdOx.png

NB9moYi.jpg

Because the Japanese version of the SNES Classic does not feature Super Punch-Out!, the alternate game will be Super Soccer, a fairly mediocre and barebones launch-era SFC/SNES title by Human Entertainment. But we don't want to exclude you from the club on this basis alone. Club members with both the US/EU and JPN systems can feel free to submit goals for both.

1. Win Tournament mode playing as Germany. Hashtag #human
2. Win Tournament mode playing as U.S.A. Hashtag #redcard
3. Win Tournament Mode playing as Belgium and don't let the final opposing team score a single goal. Hashtag #ole​

AKsJoI5.png

Super Mario World. Goals: 1. Beat the Game. Hashtag: #morton 2. Beat the Game with 96* exits. Hashtag: #luigi. 3. Use a memory corruption glitch (Orb, Cloud, or End Credits Warp). Hashtag: #goomba​

Good luck!

traveler

Not Wario
Thanks again for putting these together Stump. Haven't played Super Punch Out before, so, just like SMW, continuing to bolster my classic backlog completions. Still need to wrap up a glitched finish on SMW.

3. Beat the first league blindfolded OR 3. Beat every opponent with "Quick Kills" -- Again, the point of these is to really stretch you beyond what you thought was possible. If you do the blindfolded goal it'd be amazing to see you post a video (please turn comments off and mark as unlisted if you are uploading the video to YouTube, I'll delete any videos in this thread not following this rule) of your feat. Famously, every Punch-Out! game can be beaten this way, the question is whether you can hone your reflexes and your senses enough to do so. Here's a video of an actual crazy person doing it in front of a live audience. Quick-kills implies that you get a time better than any on the leaderboard, get true KOs where possible, and generally put up times a casual playthrough wouldn't believe possible. If you do the quick-kills goal post a picture of your times. Hashtag #vodka[/indent]

O_O

Time to import the Japanese snes...

neoemonk

Already did the first two in anticipation of this, but I will wait until the 16th and do them again.

I don’t see myself going for the blindfold goal (pun intended) but I might be able to pull off the quick kills one.

Never played a Punch-Out game before. Played this a bit a last week to prepare myself for the passport challenges, but I'm still not completely sure about how to approach the game. I made it past the old guy and beat hugger quickly, but Piston Hurricane has got me shook. Everything goes fine until he does his little special move/flurry of punches, and then I'm at a complete loss! lmao. Now that the passport is officially underway, I'll have to jump back in and try to figure this out.

If I can at least get the first stamp, I'll be happy.

TheExodu5

Banned
Never played this before, beyond the first 2 fights at a friend's place as a kid.

Really don't know if I'll be able to manage anything more than the first goal on this one.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Never played a Punch-Out game before. Played this a bit a last week to prepare myself for the passport challenges, but I'm still not completely sure about how to approach the game. I made it past the old guy and beat hugger quickly, but Piston Hurricane has got me shook. Everything goes fine until he does his little special move/flurry of punches, and then I'm at a complete loss! lmao. Now that the passport is officially underway, I'll have to jump back in and try to figure this out.

If I can at least get the first stamp, I'll be happy.

They all have tells. Nobody will throw a special move without alerting you that it's coming.

They all have tells. Nobody will throw a special move without alerting you that it's coming.
Yeah, I noticed that Piston
kinda backs up into the corner before doing his thing.
I'm just not completely sure how to respond, since it seems like such a long onslaught. I'm sure that I'll get it eventually though, just need to train a bit more! I've only fought him like, three times so far.

KaYotiX

Banned
Ahh yeah, time to crush this game!

Used to rent this game and beat it in under an hour as a kid :)

I doubt I can still do it. :p I'll be happy just finishing it.

Madness

This is muscle memory easy for me until you reach Hoy Quarlow. Then thst is where I will have the most trouble especially with those bald Bruiser fucks waiting.

Already managed this a couple days ago. #tko

I don't think there is any way I'll be able to do this blindfolded, but I should be able to manage all the quick kills given enough time and practice.

Good luck to everyone, looking forward to seeing where we all end up :)

(edit) Holy crap, I forgot piston hurricane has a special... I haven't let him stand long enough for that to be an issue in many many years.

Heads up, Piston does a terrible job at blocking his stomach, punch him every time he exposes himself before he punches, charge up your super, then use your super on his abdomen the same way you do the punches and he'll be down well before the first minute.

CassSept

Special circuit is really quite hard. Ok, you can learn the patterns for pretty much every enemy but no save states between individual fighters sounds painful. At this moment I'll grab the first stamp, I'll see how much time I'll have for the next two goals.

#tko

Bii

Went through the first circuit. Damn, almost lost at the end with Bald Bull. So three more circuits to go? ._________.

Skyless

Neo Member
Alright, time to go for me to boot camp since I am still not able to beat the minor circuit champ. This is going to be a tough challenge, also rip that star stamp.

Blizzard

Banned
Question #1, are we allowed to do this even if we start the game on the 15th instead of the 16th? (In other words can we start challenges early in general :p)

Question #2, are we allowed to do this with save states for goal #1 only?

lsslave

Jew Gamer
So. Dragon Chen sucks. Also I don't know if I'll be physically capable of the star goal... I think I've got 1st in 3 fights so far out of 2 leagues.

Also seriously I hate Dragon Chen. The guy after him I'm starting to learn and while he sucks because of a few fake tells DC can seriously rot in hell.

Robin64

Ooh, tricky. While I can quick-kill a couple of fighters, I've certainly never done them all. And man, even beating Special Circuit in one go is a tough one. Let's do this!

Can do first two (in fact already done the first), but don't know if I can do the third goal. Of course I said I was going to skip the glitch thing in the last challenge as well...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Question #1, are we allowed to do this even if we start the game on the 15th instead of the 16th? (In other words can we start challenges early in general :p)

yes -- you can cash in a challenge as soon as you know the hash tag, even if you accidentally did it early. but no counting childhood victories.

Question #2, are we allowed to do this with save states for goal #1 only?

in principle you could use them for either option of goal 3 although having to save state blindfolded would be tough.

PsionBolt

...Wow, wasn't expecting that for the star goal. We went from "put in an hour's practice or two" for SMW to "achieve a task that has hitherto been achieved only by a number of people that can be counted on one hand" for SPO.

I'm exaggerating a bit by focusing on the blindfold run rather than the speedrun option, but boy howdy does a blindfold run seem out of my league.

thefro

FYI for everyone, the game saves your progress on your save file after every circuit by design, so there's no reason to do a save state. So once you beat the minor circuit for example, you can start directly on the major circuit as often as you want.

Special circuit is really quite hard. Ok, you can learn the patterns for pretty much every enemy but no save states between individual fighters sounds painful. At this moment I'll grab the first stamp, I'll see how much time I'll have for the next two goals.

#tko

You can practice in time attack once you fight someone once to learn their pattern and how to beat them. You only have to beat all 4 fighters for a circuit in a row in a session to make progress.

Kinsei

Banned
I played through the minor circuit and the star goal to do it blindfolded actually seems reasonable. Gabby jay is easy enough to beat by just button mashing, and both Bear Hugger and Piston Hurricane are easy enough to get into loops. It feels like the only hard part is going to be Bald Bull.

KayMote

These club threads are great! Thank you so much for these - I have my Super Nintendo Mini for around 2 weeks now and I haven't even booted up Super Punch-Out!! yet (was too busy with other games), so that is a great opportunuty to discover the games that I would normally not put too much time into.

That being sad, I just played it for a few minutes for the first time and man... this gonna be a tough one. I couldn't even beat the third opponent already. I have some trouble judging their animations the right way and to dodge the attacks early enough because of that (also I guess you have to figure out first, if you should dodge to the side or just duck) and I also don't understand the concept of the quick kill. I somehow put the second enemy down very fast, but it was more by accident and I have no idea, how I actually pulled it of.
Also, I think it's kind of unfair that you lose your power ability, when you get hit... :(
I'll keep trying and practising to see if beating the goal - or at least till the first stamp - is realistic for me.

CassSept

You can practice in time attack once you fight someone once to learn their pattern and how to beat them. You only have to beat all 4 fighters for a circuit in a row in a session to make progress.

Yeah I think that's what I'm going to do after I beat Rick Bruiser for the first time, train for goal 3 to get through goal 2. Admittedly, the first circuit with no deaths is easy, the next two are certainly doable, it's getting through special circuit without saving that scares me.

I had to reset so many times just to learn Hoy Quarlow's patterns well enough to last more than seconds. Admittedly, the first time I managed to knock him down the first time it was smooth sailing to TKO, but if I had to go through Narcissus every few attempts just to get obliterated by HQ, that would be truly annoying.

Blizzard

Banned
So. Dragon Chen sucks. Also I don't know if I'll be physically capable of the star goal... I think I've got 1st in 3 fights so far out of 2 leagues.

Also seriously I hate Dragon Chen. The guy after him I'm starting to learn and while he sucks because of a few fake tells DC can seriously rot in hell.
It's interesting how experiences differ. Dragon Chen was a piece of cake for me, but after an hour or more of practice, I only got to the third stage of the following guy a few times, and never beat him.

Kumubou

...Wow, wasn't expecting that for the star goal. We went from "put in an hour's practice or two" for SMW to "achieve a task that has hitherto been achieved only by a number of people that can be counted on one hand" for SPO.

I'm exaggerating a bit by focusing on the blindfold run rather than the speedrun option, but boy howdy does a blindfold run seem out of my league.
It's only the first league for that challenge and not the whole game (thank God).

Piston Hurricane is trivial to beat even blindfolded and the pattern for Gabby Jay isn't too hard either. Bear Hugger is a bit harder but most of his attacks have rather distinct audio cues. I think the one fight that would give people trouble doing this would be against Bald Bull (and the general need to execute everything in one set, of course).

compo

Banned
Hot damn, I get to participate in this one! I just got a mini snes on Friday. I was so jealous whenever I'd see the SMW challenge pop-up before, because I didn't have a mini snes yet. Though, I guess I should have at least read the SMW thread, because I now see that I could have followed along with an emulator.

I’ve only beaten the Minor Circuit so far. Game is actually harder than I was expecting but watching that blindfold run it’s clear that every fight can be won trivially if you know the pattern. Probably still only go for the first goal but maybe try for the 2nd as well once I get there. Can’t see myself using save states to cheese the game but I might give up once it gets too difficult.

I started Earthbound so that might tear me away from this game too.

PsionBolt

It's only the first league for that challenge and not the whole game (thank God).

Piston Hurricane is trivial to beat even blindfolded and the pattern for Gabby Jay isn't too hard either. Bear Hugger is a bit harder but most of his attacks have rather distinct audio cues. I think the one fight that would give people trouble doing this would be against Bald Bull (and the general need to execute everything in one set, of course).

Oh, I totally missed that somehow! That's still a hefty challenge, but it does seem slightly possible now. Time attacks still seem the more sane option, but I'll have to see which I end up going for.

Kinsei

Banned
I got my first game over on Sandman blegh.

I don;t think I'll go for the second of third stamps. This game isn't good and just makes me wish I was playing the NES or Wii Punch Out instead.

Thud

I got my first game over on Sandman blegh.

I don;t think I'll go for the second of third stamps. This game isn't good and just makes me wish I was playing the NES or Wii Punch Out instead.

The baffling thing is going from three rounds to a single one.

Otherwise I think all the games are great with the Wii one on top for its animations alone.

I've been playing this for a few days now and eventually got to the point where I can go 4-0 on the World Circuit and even take down Narcis Prince and Hoy Quarlow with relative ease.

Then I reach Rick Bruiser and everything falls apart.

Don't see myself getting past him any time soon unless I can perfect the quick TKO.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I’ve gotta still get my SMW stamps (I’ve done the 96 exits just need to go post in that thread), I already beat Punch Out but I want to do an undefeated run today

I’ve gotta still get my SMW stamps (I’ve done the 96 exits just need to go post in that thread), I already beat Punch Out but I want to do an undefeated run today

Just finished off my 96* Goal Run for my #luigi Super Mario World passport stamp and popped into this thread to see a lot of Super Punch-Out hate. What’s the deal? SPO is probably one of my favorite SNES games and I can’t believe the hate it’s getting. Maybe I’m just used to it because I picked it up when it launched and played it obsessively back in its day?

Catvoca

Banned
Not sure I'll even get the first stamp here, I'm really bad at Punch Out games! Maybe I'll try that football game instead lol.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Playing this makes me realize how amazing Mike Tyson's Punchout is. One instance of "de-making" a game from the arcade source that is so much better.

jwhit28

I got stonewalled at the Bruce Lee guy. The characters in this game feel much closer to Wii Punchout and that's a good thing to me.

Top Bottom