• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Club: Super Punch-Out!!: Complete goals to earn stamps! (Oct 16th-31st)

I know some people are down on Super compared to the original or Wii versions, but I still really enjoy the Rick / Nick double whammy. I love a lot of the little surprising things that happen
like slamming your fist so you have to box one handed for a while.
. It just feels really good to finally kick their ass, like woah.

thefro

Yup.
HUGE fan of the nes and wii versions (Next level's game is one of my favourite games ever), I really cant stand this one. Beat it years ago on my real super nes and didnt like it (forced myself becuase I loved the nes game too much, wii version didnt exits still of course). Trying to play again on the mini and still really hate it. Im really, really glad Next Level Games followed the nes gameplay and mechanics than the ones for super. They even made 2 mediocre characters from Super into amazing boxers (Bear Hugger and Ryan).
I like stuff of it like the boxers having trainers shouting from the sidelines, but apart from that, meh. And the pattern recognition here is fucking crap.

I like the NES (and Wii) version much better too. 3 Rounds, nobody blatantly breaking the rules of boxing, characters aren't completely over the top, better music, crowd goes nuts for the knockdowns, feels like there's a basic story, Doc, rematches, Little Mac is super tiny, better gameplay loop. Original NES version has prime "unbeatable" Mike Tyson when that meant a hell of a lot too.

SNES Punch-Out is still good though, but it feels completely disconnected from boxing and you feel much more powerful than Little Mac. Once you fill up your Super meter and learn the patterns you can plow through the fights.

The worst are the arcade games. Horrible gameplay in comparison, although it looks nice.

Hoy Quarlow is the hardest fight of that circuit tbh

Definitely agree on this. When I originally bought this on the SNES, I spent way more time on Hoy than either Bruiser. Harder pattern to learn. IIRC, I think I found Nick easier than Rick too.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Finally had some time to sit down again with SPO. Masked Muscle just got taken down. Dragon Chen on this run got crushed without me getting hit. It's kind of funny how you learn the patterns after the initial win.

Now to finish this circuit!

Edit: Oh Mylanta. I can already get to round 3 without getting hit once. Then I can't get a hit in on mr sandman. What do.

jholmes

Definitely more annoying to fight than Rick or Nick, who are completely straightforward fights. Also bear in mind that "hardest" in this context is relative.

He’s much harder for me too. I always stumble on his four prong stick attack.

Definitely agree on this. When I originally bought this on the SNES, I spent way more time on Hoy than either Bruiser. Harder pattern to learn. IIRC, I think I found Nick easier than Rick too.

Wow, I just can't believe this. Look, Quarlow is definitely tough, his moves are very unorthodox and he's the first enemy where you have to learn to alternate Y and B to get off combos, but you have tons of time to react to his attacks and everything is clearly telegraphed. The only truly difficult attack is where he mixes up, at random, the three high left stick/three high right stick/two low left stick/two low right stick pattern, but a) none of it really does enough damage, and it's easy enough to block a lot of it, and b) you should be able to reliably put Quarlow down before he even gets to do it. He doesn't have any moves that wipe off your entire stamina meter in one go, he doesn't disable your fists -- he has nothing against either Bruiser brother, and that's why you fight him first. Either you guys are misremembering, or you're letting how unorthodox his attacks look throw you off, or you're just godly against the Bruisers.

Now, Nick being easier than Rick, I can buy that. Nick has fewer moves, he actually lets you hit him when you want to and the biggest pain in the ass about Nick -- that you have to alternate Y and B like with Quarlow -- doesn't really matter if you don't let him disable your fists, which you shouldn't, because you should've learned all about that from Rick by the time you fight Nick. The obvious point against this argument of course is Nick's flying instant-death fuck you move, which is barely telegraphed and is followed up with a couple uppercuts in case you did happen to avoid it. It certainly helps that Rick is so similar to Nick, and you have to learn all his BS just to get to Nick.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
I'm still having trouble against Mr. Sandman. Once he "goes full power", things end very quickly for me.

You and me both. I get to the third round without getting hit. But in the past half hour I've gotten to the point I can beat Masked Muscle consistently in the 1 minute mark :)

KayMote

You and me both. I get to the third round without getting hit. But in the past half hour I've gotten to the point I can beat Masked Muscle consistently in the 1 minute mark :)

It's the other way around for me :D I have now beaten Mr. Sandman a few times, but when I try to get through the entire Circuit without Save States suddenly Masked Muscle is giving me troubles again - his stupid fake kick and headbutt attacks have already ruined my morning...

lsslave

Jew Gamer
It's the other way around for me :D I have now beaten Mr. Sandman a few times, but when I try to get through the entire Circuit without Save States suddenly Masked Muscle is giving me troubles again - his stupid fake kick and headbutt attacks have already ruined my morning...

2nd circuit I found has a pattern. Body - Face - Body - Face. When you get used to that it gets you ready to punch his stupid masked face after the headbutt.

I absolutely hate Mr Sandman at this point :/. I should use save states to practice but I always forget they exist. Holding this controller is making me forget it's 2017 hahaha

He doesn't have any moves that wipe off your entire stamina meter in one go, he doesn't disable your fists -- he has nothing against either Bruiser brother, and that's why you fight him first. Either you guys are misremembering, or you're letting how unorthodox his attacks look throw you off, or you're just godly against the Bruisers.

It's like I mentioned before: "harder" is relative in this instance. I don't have trouble with anyone in Special Circuit, but I always dread fighting Quarlow compared to either Bruiser.

Blizzard

Banned
Since I have no self-control, I made myself set a 30-minute timer tonight to attempt Macho Man again.

*dodges instant spin 5 times in a row*
*dies on 6th spin*

OK, so that's apparently not how that works.

*after 30 minutes, finds
a button that cancels it

*for literally 1.5 more hours, presses the same button, and other buttons, with the same timing, and different timing*

*in that entire 2-hour period, survives the attack exactly once, the first and only time this mechanic worked*

Because I have no self-control, this game is going to ruin my life until I eventually find the one random thing that wins the fight, and I can finally put this challenge away. :(

Finally cleared Mr. Sandman. Once I had his more damaging combos with the obvious tells down, it was...well not easy but I managed to win.

n5H1SzS.png

On to Aran Ryan. He's proving tough too, but at least he's the stage 1 boss.

Mr Rivuz

Since I have no self-control, I made myself set a 30-minute timer tonight to attempt Macho Man again.

*dodges instant spin 5 times in a row*
*dies on 6th spin*

OK, so that's apparently not how that works.

*after 30 minutes, finds
a button that cancels it

*for literally 1.5 more hours, presses the same button, and other buttons, with the same timing, and different timing*

*in that entire 2-hour period, survives the attack exactly once, the first and only time this mechanic worked*

Because I have no self-control, this game is going to ruin my life until I eventually find the one random thing that wins the fight, and I can finally put this challenge away. :(
Just keep dodging the instant spin, sometimes he will go on for 6 or 7 spins but he will stop.

Blizzard

Banned
Just keep dodging the instant spin, sometimes he will go on for 6 or 7 spins but he will stop.
Yeah, I figured that out just before your post, which was great fun after some earlier things apparently required me to cancel or block special moves, and I thought this was the same. :p

#tko

I went ahead and spent 3 hours tonight to beat Macho Man. It turns out that despite the saying that insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different outcome...
the fact that his instant kill spin can take 6+ times is just random, I suppose. You just keep dodging and behold, it eventually ends. OK?

That covers the first badge with a save state between each enemy, and that's all I'm doing for this game.

This game was an educational experience for me. I've never played a Punchout game before, only seen them on speedrun streams, and this 3/4 playthrough has at least informed me that I don't want to play any other games in the series.

I understand what it's going for. It takes the difficulty and dodge and attack mechanics from Bayonetta and Dark Souls. It takes the music-based rhythm gameplay of Rock Band. It combines them all to form a sort of Dark Souls of music-based rhythm games that feature boxer grunts instead of music, and racist caricatures instead of notes on the screen or monsters.

There is an addictive element that partially destroyed my life, in that you keep thinking you WILL get better, a sort of MOBA-like trap that keeps you playing ranked with dreams of one day reaching the next level on a never-ending ladder of soul-crushing opponents. However, instead of getting better, you start sort of randomly learning at what arbitrary points certain opponents are weak, can be dodged, can be blocked, and which things are low or high despite the questionable animation and presentation suggesting otherwise. Then occasionally you get faced with some sort of instant death QTE, and after battering your face into it for a while, you discover the proper key and move on.

I can understand these things, and I could see what some of the animation was going for, yet I really disliked the visual feedback and the sort of vaguely inconsistent learning curve that was presented. Overall the game left a bitter taste in my mouth, and I look forward to the comforting and familiar cheating AI of something like Mario Kart.

gweemz

For those trying the blindfolded run, here's some advice for the first 3 fights.

Gabby Jay: y, up y x 4, up b x 3, up a. At this point he will get dizzy. Do a down dodge, then b, then up a to knock him out. If you miss, at that point do a couple punches then a super again to knock him down. Its pretty hard to lose this fight so learning it isn't too bad. You could probably button mash and still win.

Bear Hugger: During this fight, you want to do an up y, which he will block. Wait a slight moment then do a down dodge. From there you will be able to do 4 or 5 up y punches. During the third set of these, your special will fill. After dodging, do one up y punch, then an up a special. He will eventually get dizzy, but i opt to just keep doing normal up y punches at this point. Eventually he will block again, and keep repeating the down dodge, up y, and up a process. I had to knock him down twice using this method, but it is pretty easy.

Piston: Here, start off doing a normal y punch, then 8 up y punches. He will dodge at this point and here is where audio cues come in to play. He will make 2 noises, one indicating he is about to dodge, then the actual dodge noise. When you hear the dodge noise, right after, press A. Timing can seem tricky at first but i can do it every time now. He will get knocked down, and get up at 7. As soon as you hear "fight" press a again. He will get knocked out.

Still working on bald bull as Zallard1's run of him does not seem to dizzy him every time for me. Here are the presses:
Up y, b, b, up y, y, y, y, up y, up y, y, y, y,(he should be dizzy at this point), up y, then up A to knock him down. Im still working on this first part, and will update if i find a better way to beat him.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Yeah, I figured that out just before your post, which was great fun after some earlier things apparently required me to cancel or block special moves, and I thought this was the same. :p

#tko

I went ahead and spent 3 hours tonight to beat Macho Man. It turns out that despite the saying that insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different outcome...
the fact that his instant kill spin can take 6+ times is just random, I suppose. You just keep dodging and behold, it eventually ends. OK?

That covers the first badge with a save state between each enemy, and that's all I'm doing for this game.

This game was an educational experience for me. I've never played a Punchout game before, only seen them on speedrun streams, and this 3/4 playthrough has at least informed me that I don't want to play any other games in the series.

I understand what it's going for. It takes the difficulty and dodge and attack mechanics from Bayonetta and Dark Souls. It takes the music-based rhythm gameplay of Rock Band. It combines them all to form a sort of Dark Souls of music-based rhythm games that feature boxer grunts instead of music, and racist caricatures instead of notes on the screen or monsters.

There is an addictive element that partially destroyed my life, in that you keep thinking you WILL get better, a sort of MOBA-like trap that keeps you playing ranked with dreams of one day reaching the next level on a never-ending ladder of soul-crushing opponents. However, instead of getting better, you start sort of randomly learning at what arbitrary points certain opponents are weak, can be dodged, can be blocked, and which things are low or high despite the questionable animation and presentation suggesting otherwise. Then occasionally you get faced with some sort of instant death QTE, and after battering your face into it for a while, you discover the proper key and move on.

I can understand these things, and I could see what some of the animation was going for, yet I really disliked the visual feedback and the sort of vaguely inconsistent learning curve that was presented. Overall the game left a bitter taste in my mouth, and I look forward to the comforting and familiar cheating AI of something like Mario Kart.

It is entirely pattern recognition and learning those patterns and breaking them. I spend an hour or more on each fight then after I "get it" they become a repeatable and easy fight for me.

With that in mind SPO is so far removed from the original. NES version is a superior game in every way and every enemy has a neat and learnable tell. Down to one (forget who) being a camera flash in the crowd.

We've still gotta clear Contra 3 dont think we are clear just yet lol

Madness

That feeling when you finally get passed Quarlow to get washed by the asshole Bruiser brothers. I am not studying any strategy or guides. Most of the wins came from muscle memory or what they do and how to avoid. But I forgot the tricks to Quarlow and the Bruisers. Always died to them as a kid too.

Kintaco

8Q3Lyy9.jpg

#tko

Working on number 2, still need to 4-1 the World Circuit, then onto Special Circuit.

Regarding number 3, can Quick kills be done individually or just they be done on a per circuit basis? For instance I have the #1s on the Minor Circuit except for Bald Bull. Can I come back and quick look him on a second run?

lsslave

Jew Gamer
rwU9uFP.jpg

The 1 loss was running out of time. He had 1 hp left. First try this morning after so much hate for this circuit

Robin64

Man, that was tough! Super Macho Man was way harder than I remember, but there we go. Got some decent times along the way, but nothing amazing (aside from Gabby Jay, go beat it).

#tko

KayMote

FINALLY beat the entire Major Circuit in one go without save states! Feels great after around 2 days of playing and constant practise!

CassSept

I feel kind of weird learning quick kills when it seems most people are approaching the third goal by doing the blindfold run :( I admit, it's probably the more interesting one and more challenging, but on the flip side I do feel like I've gotten much better at the game going through every single quick ko strategy.

Curiously enough, I'd say doing quick kills is easier than goal 2, you need more precision obviously but these are short, <15 second challenges that you can repeat over and over again to master the timing, while getting through special circle at all is a total pain.

jholmes

Aiight, I'm not claiming these are world record times or anything, but they're all under 45 seconds, there's a lot of times I'd be hard pressed to improve by a lot and I really don't have much appetite to fight jackasses like Mad Clown anymore. Whaddaya say, Stump? Does this list earn me a stamp? Half a stamp? One of those Human Soccer stamps as a consolation prize?

TheExodu5

Banned
Can't even beat Piston Hurricane. Ahahaha I suck at this game. Gonna be lucky to get the first stamp.

Any good videos out there explain proper strategy?

Edit: alright, figured out how to get hits in during his special move. That was a lot easier.

gweemz

Guys, I managed to beat the minor circuit blindfolded! I didnt record it because I was still practicing, but I really did beat it blindfolded (well, with my eyes closed, that counts right?).

Gonna try to record it now before claiming it, though I got really lucky on Bald Bull and dont know if I can do it again.

Edit:

Here's the link to the last two fights with my eyes closed! Will probably delete it tomorrow.

Edit 2: Removing video.

Thud

I've seen quick KO's under 20 seconds. It's like the perfect rush mode.

How are you guys playing this. I loved this game so much , is it on switch somewhere

I'm playing on SNES mini. It's not on switch. The arcade version of Punch-Out!! is coming in the future as one of the arcades though.

SpikeDaPenguin

Neo Member
Sorry to the fans of this game but, to be honest, I'm glad to be done with this one. This felt like a slog for me and I really did try to give it my all. I have way more nostalgia for Mike Tyson's Punch-Out on the NES. Looking forward to the next SNES Classic Club game though!

Proof :
DMYX1vmVAAABJhM.jpg:large

#tko

SNES Classic Passport:
UNcwk5B.png

TheExodu5

Banned
How do you do the strong side punches? The ones where the MC reaches out to the side and does a big knockout blow. Still can't figure that out.

edit: is it just a hook? (A)

gweemz

How do you do the strong side punches? The ones where the MC reaches out to the side and does a big knockout blow. Still can't figure that out.

edit: is it just a hook? (A)

Yes theres A which does a left hook and up a which does an uppercut.

Not sure why im not getting the stamp so i will try once more.

#vodka

Thud

I can't beat the fourth guy of the first championship. Tips? I've never played this game before. I'm so bad at it.

Bad Bull has a fatal weakness during his bull charge.

Maybe watch the how to video after running the title screen.

And finally lots of practise. Trying to recognize patterns and punishing your opponent for it. For example dodging an uppercut nets you a few good hits.

Beefwheat

kko5S9bm.jpg

Squeaked out a win against Super Macho Man, raised my fists and cheered at my victory, and I'm claiming my #tko stamp. And now I'm good! Of course I'll be following this thread to see what the rest of you get up to, but even against SMM I can't play for more than 15 minutes before I'm about to smash a thing and I need to get up and do something else. I can't imagine enjoying fights that are more intense than this.

However, instead of getting better, you start sort of randomly learning at what arbitrary points certain opponents are weak, can be dodged, can be blocked, and which things are low or high despite the questionable animation and presentation suggesting otherwise. Then occasionally you get faced with some sort of instant death QTE, and after battering your face into it for a while, you discover the proper key and move on.

Blizzard, your whole post is The Truth. I mean, you folks that are doin' Special Circuit quick kills and blindfold runs and whatever, keep at it and don't let us drag you down! But this one...isn't for me.

Blizzard

Banned
Blizzard, your whole post is The Truth. I mean, you folks that are doin' Special Circuit quick kills and blindfold runs and whatever, keep at it and don't let us drag you down! But this one...isn't for me.
From the sounds of it I might actually have enjoyed the NES one more. Obviously enough people love the SNES version, and I'm not going to tell people to stop having fun. Just as you say, I've discovered that this series is very likely not for me. I'm happy to have it done, and I'll move onto the next game when the new thread starts.

If you're taking suggestions for the games, Stump, I hope you'll consider arranging it so the long RPG games' challenges can be done in one playthrough or something (or some exploit that lets you speedrun it in a fraction of the time).

I've never played FFVI and while I'm super excited to get to it, it's going to be a first playthrough so it will be a bumpy ride.

neoemonk

The first three fights are pretty easy to do blindfolded. Im still trying to learn Bald Bull, though.

You can mimic Zallard and it’s not too bad. On Sunday I was very enthused about this whole blindfold thing. I watched his blindfold speedrun and was able to beat all four fighters in time attack mode with my eyes closed by using his techniques. There’s a certain pattern that you throw the punches that allows you to control the opponents. For Bull I broke it down into discrete chunks and practiced each phase via save state, one at the start of the fight and one after the first two knockdowns. The third knockdown comes off a bull charge which isn’t too bad to do just by hearing with practice. You may find an approach you like more but with Zallard’s method you get very fast knockdowns.

Now that I’m in the midst of the grind of the work week, I’ve lost all desire to do the star goal. Maybe when the weekend hits it will come back. I was thinking about practicing on the drive home from work yesterday and it was a completely unappealing prospect.

KayMote

So, I arrived at Aran Ryan and I think I can beat him no problem (well, no problem is a relative term, but I've brought him down to the 3rd round without huge difficulties after a few attempts, so he seems very beatable), but I need to know one thing: how can I dodge his grab. After landing a Super Punch he will grab me right away and I need to know if/how to stop him from doing that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
OP still says Star Fox :p.

Uh, shit, it's probably Star Fox then. I may have gotten the order mixed up.

This is the actual, authoritative order:
November 1 - 15: Star Fox
November 16-23: F-Zero
November 24-30: Kirby's Dream Course

(F-Zero and KDC are a little shorter so we can give extra room to Earthbound in December!)

Top Bottom