• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic to ship into 2018. More NES Classic will release in 2018.

Good on Nintendo for finally stepping up, though I feel they took way too long to do this (talking about their Classic line in general). I wonder what made them change their mind.

J@hranimo

Banned
And finally, NeoGAF will briefly commend Nintendo on using common sense.

Good to hear. I'm not even gonna bother with the online retailer shenanigans, gonna just walk in a store and grab one casually.

Good on Nintendo for finally stepping up, though I feel they took way too long to do this (talking about their Classic line in general). I wonder what made them change their mind.

I'm guessing the retailers finally had enough.

As at the end of the day retailers get the bad press also for cancelling orders or these ridiculous preorders that are gone in two minutes.

VariantX

Welp, That means I can take my time and pick one of these up later this year or next year so I can actually play Star Fox 2.

TheJoRu

Well well. Would be nice if the SNES Mini price in Scandinavia dropped due to this announcement. Doubt that will happen though cause Bergsala.

Their profit margins on this thing has to be disgustingly high. It's $200. We have higher taxes, but not that much higher. Something closer to $100-110 would've been fair.

Scuffed

I'll believe it when I see it. Demand for these is ferocious I can't imagine Nintendo of all companies being able to satiate that.

Kolibri

I don't get why they just can't sell these things normally. Why this limited run shit?

"We have this product that is massively popular. Lets sell them for a few months then stop for no fucking reason" - Nintendo.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'll believe it when I see it. Demand for these is ferocious I can't imagine Nintendo of all companies being able to satiate that.

Nintendo just said they'd sell this into 2018, and would be lying to investors knowingly if they didn't. This is happening.

Scuffed

Nintendo just said they'd sell this into 2018, and would be lying to investors knowingly if they didn't. This is happening.

Oh I'm sure they will be selling them into 2018 but I expect they will still never be in stock and demand will far outweigh what they make once again.

Saw this on Google news and was floored about the NES part which was not included in the head line. It's great that gamers will have another chance to get these at msrp and not through scalpers. And for the scalpers now, I hope the floor drops out on all your prices. This comes from with someone with a shitty Think Geek order but I'll take what I can get.

My real question for both but more the NES is if they are bothering to close all the hacking stuff out.

Oh I'm sure they will be selling them into 2018 but I expect they will still never be in stock and demand will far outweigh what they make once again.

I think most people that want one and are willing to try, will end up getting one. I think it may be similar to what the Switch stock situation is currently. People that want one should be able to get one if they watch for restocks but you probably won't walk into stores and see shelves full at various stores.

J@hranimo

Banned

I know blind pessimism is the thing around here, but the fact they did this press releases indicates there will be a much bigger number of these things out on shelves. Unless you live in some small af town somewhere, you should be able to get it.

mindatlarge

Hope those that want one get one, both the NES and SNES Classics. Kinda looking forward to all the scalpers left with stock too. This shall be interesting!

tbm24

I really hope they release a ton of both. I almost pulled the trigger twice on eBay for a new classic but I couldn't figure out a way to confirm they were even genuine models. Hope this drags down the price of the nes classic controller as well.

Gartooth

Glad to hear! I will try to get an NES next year if I don't need to check online at 3am to get one.

Now I wonder if they will move ahead with the N64 classic next year or wait to satisfy demand on these two first.

Scuffed

I think most people that want one and are willing to try, will end up getting one. I think it may be similar to what the Switch stock situation is currently. People that want one should be able to get one if they watch for restocks but you probably won't walk into stores and see shelves full at various stores.

I'll settle for being able to just order the nes classic on amazon with no hassle at any time of day. Getting my snes pre-order a few weeks ago was a ludicrous process. I was using console commands to un-shade the add to cart on option on bb website. I never even knew that was a thing lol.

That's a good start, Nintendo. I am pleased.

Now, go all the way and just make both of these products available indefinitely. Don't stop at 2018.

psilva

This has been their business model for these classic products all along. Gauge interest, control/create market scarcity, build hype (the same way lining up for iPhones is a good look for Apple). And at just the right time announce that more are on the way. Not the most consumer friendly model, but it created an unsurmountable amount of Nintendo talk throughout the release window of their 'make or break' console (Switch).

I payed a scalper for both classic systems. It would be silly for me to react negatively to the news of more NES/SNES classics. We just have to be smart consumers and understand that these big ass companies tend to have cards up their sleeves at all times.

dc89

If they do make enough to meet demand it's the right business decision.
It's crazy you even need to have this kind of conversation :lol.

WestEgg

How did Nintendo go from being unable to move its flagship console last year to literally everything they touch since last holiday season turning to gold? This is going to be some future business case study stuff right here.

Having missed the boat on the NES Classic and the SNES Classic preorders (planning to take a day off work on the 29th and get to a Toys R Us early), this is great!

f@luS

More than a member.
Should I cancel? I ordered 4 just for some friends / gaffer in need but for exemple amazon.de was 105e instead of 80.

Top Bottom