• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Club - May 2021: Super Metroid

SpiceRacz

Voted FF3. That and Mega Man X are the only games from that list I haven't beat in the past decade.

Great selection of games btw. Goes to show how much of a powerhouse the SNES was. I hope we eventually do a month dedicated to imports.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Voted FF3. That and Mega Man X are the only games from that list I haven't beat in the past decade.

Great selection of games btw. Goes to show how much of a powerhouse the SNES was. I hope we eventually do a month dedicated to imports.

If you have some import suggestions shoot me a PM. I am not adversed in that field of the SNES.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hard to go wrong with any of these games really. I've been thinking about doing a playthrough of Final Fantasy III again (and the SNES version is still the most superior it seems) so that was my vote. I've played through Super Metroid recently (and unlocked most of the achievements!) so if that wins I'll probably sit this month out or just do a super quick run since I can probably beat the game in under 3 hours. Zelda is another I've played recently, but it's literally my favorite Zelda game so I would probably try and get some of those "don't get harmed while fighting the boss" achievements I missed.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If you have some import suggestions shoot me a PM. I am not adversed in that field of the SNES.
The SNES was a powerhouse of great RPG games in Japan and thankfully they almost all been translated into English now. Some of my favorites below:

Dragon Quest V - The king of JRPG games that didn't get a western release until the DS version. An amazing adventure that is still so insanely popular in Japan that it's still nearly synonymous with Dragon Quest almost 30 years later. Honorable mentions for Dragon Quest imports also extend to Dragon Quest VI and Dragon Quest 1&2, the later of which is an excellent port of the first two NES games akin to Mario All-Stars.

Front Mission - I don't think the west got a Front Mission game until the third one on the PS1. The first game was amazing and really showcased what was possible with the SNES. A really fun strategy game with a massive engrossing story. The mechs had a lot of customizability that the series became known for. The sequel, Front Mission: Gun Hazard, was more of a side scrolling action game which I personally didn't enjoy as much but it's still really cool.

Live A Live - A quirky RPG that has a fun grid based, turn based battle system. Multiple character scenarios with different period eras all converge, this was the Final Fantasy team's answer to Dragon Quest IV's formula. The music was incredible, in fact it was Yoko Shimomura's first gig working at Square.

Super Bomberman 5 - A great game that needs no translation. Easily the best 16bit era Bomberman game hands down.

Terranigma - Game got a European release but no US love, which means it was already officially translated into English. A weird state of affairs but I guess since Nintendo leaned so heavily into Illusion of Gaia and it didn't do so hot, it's not that big of a surprise. But still an amazing game that holds up tremendously well.

Tales of Phantasia - The first game in the long running Tales of... series. I remember being particularly impressed by this game when it came out because it's battle system was such a great blend of action and turn-based combat.

There are tons and tons and tons more but these were the stand outs to me when I played all of these back in the 90s.

itsbabadookusir

Neo Member
Im not the biggest Zelda fan (I'm one of those weirdos that likes 2 best), but I'm fine with any of these winning. I've actually never personally completed any of them except Super Mario RPG, but I watched my brother beat them all aside from Super Metroid.

I wound up save state scumming through all three DKC basic endings. I might try to casually chip away at all the bonuses to get to the Lost World stages in 2 and 3.

I hope F-Zero makes the list eventually. I don't think there's ever been a more intense racing game. Obviously hard as balls and kind of cheap the way the AI is impervious to all the hazards. But the soundtrack is such a banger and it looks fantastic and runs so smoothly.

jshackles

Im not the biggest Zelda fan (I'm one of those weirdos that likes 2 best), but I'm fine with any of these winning. I've actually never personally completed any of them except Super Mario RPG, but I watched my brother beat them all aside from Super Metroid.
I don't think you have to be a "Zelda fan" per-se to enjoy A Link to the Past, I feel like this game is probably the most accessible in the series outside of maybe the original NES game.

Also - would it be cheating if I played the GBA version of A Link to the Past? I haven't ever actually played that version so I'm not sure what the differences are. I guess the buttons would have to be different since the GBA only had A and B...

Last edited:

itsbabadookusir

Neo Member
I don't think you have to be a "Zelda fan" per-se to enjoy A Link to the Past, I feel like this game is probably the most accessible in the series outside of maybe the original NES game.

I've watched ALttP be played through entirely to completion. I understand the appeal and the objective greatness of the game, but it just never did much for me personally.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I played Super Metroid for the first time in 2019. So far it’s been great, and despite being in the beginning I can already see why the level design is so highly praised. Will probably end up voting for that since it’ll give reason to start playing it next. I doubt I’ll finish the game in a month though if/when its selected. Seems kind of like the map will get a bit tricky and confusing at times for someone who has never completed the game before

I forget where I stopped but there was this one kind of ominous room that I had no idea what to do in. It’s been almost 10 months since I played I think

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I played Super Metroid for the first time in 2019. So far it’s been great, and despite being in the beginning I can already see why the level design is so highly praised. Will probably end up voting for that since it’ll give reason to start playing it next. I doubt I’ll finish the game in a month though if/when its selected. Seems kind of like the map will get a bit tricky and confusing at times for someone who has never completed the game before

I forget where I stopped but there was this one kind of ominous room that I had no idea what to do in. It’s been almost 10 months since I played I think

100 percenting SM can be tough without a guide if you are not familiar with how they like to hide things in Metroid/pathfinder games.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Game 3 has been decided.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

The_Legend_of_Zelda_A_Link_to_the_Past_SNES_Game_Cover.jpg

The Challenge: Minimalist Quest
This is a quest that will test your ability to proceed through the game with the absolute minimum to complete it. Meaning enemies will hit harder, you will have less life and you will do less damage.

This quest requires a fair bit of knowledge of the game. Here is a quick rundown taken from a guide on what items will and will not be used.

Sword: The game forces you to take the Fighter's Sword (You Uncle at the
sewers) and the Master Sword (Lost Woods after getting the three Pendants).
The Tempered and Golden Swords are completely skippable.

Shield: We're not getting neither the Red Shield nor the Mirror Shield.

Mails: The Blue and Red Mails are entirely disposable. Skip them.

Pegasus Boots: We need these. Can't skip them.

Power Glove/Titan's Mitt: Both are needed. Get them.

Zora's Flippers: Needed as soon as you arrive to Swamp Palace. Buy them.

Moon Pearl: Required to go through the Dark World appropietly. Get it ASAP.

Bow & Arrows/Silver Arrows: We need all of this. Get the Bow & Arrow as soon
as you arrive at the East Palace. The Silver Arrows are only for Ganon, so
wait until the final fight for them (get them as early as possible if you want,
but it's more challenging by saving them for the end). We ARE skipping the
arrow upgrade from Venus at the Pond of Happiness. 30 arrows is more than
enough to beat the game.

Boomerang: This item is very skippable. Don't get it.

Hookshot: Required to navigate Swamp Palace and later dungeons. Get it.

Bomb: Needed all over the place. Get them, but don't upgrade with Venus.

Mushroom/Magic Powder: Not needed. Skip it altogether.

Fire Rod: Needed to navigate Skull Woods. Get it.

Ice Rod: Needed to beat Trinnex. Get it prior to going to Turtle Rock.

Bombos: Not needed. Skip it.

Ether: Required to enter Misery Mire. Go get it.

Quake: Needed to enter Turtle Rock. Get it from the fish at Lake of Ill Omen.

Lamp: Needed for Hyrule Castle. Get it as soon as you start the game.

Magic Hammer: Get it ASAP. It's required to explore the Dark World completely.

Shovel/Flute: Required items. Get everything and free the Duck.

Bug-Catching Net: Skip it. We're going to miss this item a lot.

Book of Mudora: Needed to open the Desert Palace. Get it.

Bottles: We're skipping all four bottles. This is perhaps what adds the most
challenge to this quest.

Cane of Somaria: Needed to fully explore later dungeons. Grab it.

Cane of Byrna: Not a needed item so skip it. We can't get it in this quest
anyway even if we wanted to.

Magic Cape: Comepltely disposable. Skip it.

Magic Mirror: You can't skip this item. So yeah, get it.

Extra Hearts: Skip all 24 Heart Pieces and the Heart Container at the
Sanctuary. We're beating the game with a total of 13 hearts.

Double Magic Meter: We're skipping this too. We can't get it since we're also
skipping the Magic Powder.

Last edited:

jshackles

I hope it's not too much against the rules, but I'm going to play the GBA version for this month's challenge. Gotta get those sweet, sweet cheevos. Also just to check out how one of my favorite games of all time plays in this version.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I hope it's not too much against the rules, but I'm going to play the GBA version for this month's challenge. Gotta get those sweet, sweet cheevos. Also just to check out how one of my favorite games of all time plays in this version.

From what I know it's a pretty faithful port.

jshackles

Started this last night...... and ended up playing well past midnight. This game is amazing and easily one of my top five games of all time. I think I slinked off to bed around 2am but I had just beat the ice palace in the dark world. So only level 6 and 7 left, then ganon's tower. I'm missing 4 pieces of heart but off the top of my head I know where two of them are.

The GBA version is a pretty faithful port like you say Nikana Nikana with a few notable exceptions:
  • The music is obviously downgraded over the SNES version - a shame because the soundtrack is god tier. It's still good in the GBA version and faithfully recreated as well as possible, but not nearly as good as the SNES version.
  • The item selection screen is laid out differently. For starters, you get to keep the shovel which is a welcome (although ultimately worthless) change. The bottles are all on display too, whereas the SNES version puts them in a sub-menu. As a result, some of the items are in different spots on the screen.
  • The controls are different, and essentially everything that on the SNES version you use the A button for, you now use the L button, as A is assigned to your selected item.
  • I encountered a bug a total of three times, where chests wouldn't open. One time was particularly bad as it was blocking my progress in a dungeon so I had to leave the dungeon and come back to proceed.
  • There seems to be a hidden area in the temple that requires a four-swords save, not sure what that's about exactly.
All that being said, I'm finding this version to be much more difficult than the SNES version. I underestimated how much I rely on muscle memory with this game and have constantly found myself pressing the wrong button or taking longer to select an item. But it's not entirely unwelcome as it has given me more of a sense of adventure going through the game. I have no doubt I'll be finishing it later today!

jshackles

Complete!

jdzioeu.png

As per usual, I didn't stress about doing the "no hit boss" runs (although I got two of them!). Maybe at some point I'll go back and try to do this without using hardcore mode so I can save scum it.

Such an amazing game - I would encourage anyone who hasn't played this to do so!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Picked up a Razer Kishi for $50. I'm gonna cheat a little and play ALTTP on my phone. So...I have never actually completed it by myself. I've always done it with a friend. I tend to be a 3d zelda but I'm gonna finish it this time.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Complete!

jdzioeu.png

As per usual, I didn't stress about doing the "no hit boss" runs (although I got two of them!). Maybe at some point I'll go back and try to do this without using hardcore mode so I can save scum it.

Such an amazing game - I would encourage anyone who hasn't played this to do so!

Do you know if retroarch achievements can be set up for android?

jshackles

Do you know if retroarch achievements can be set up for android?
Absolutely. Pretty much anything with a network connection that runs Retroarch can unlock RetroAchievements, this includes Android and even the Switch (hacked).

Let me know if you need help setting it up! Feel free to DM me.

Game 3 has been decided.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

The_Legend_of_Zelda_A_Link_to_the_Past_SNES_Game_Cover.jpg

The Challenge: Minimalist Quest
This is a quest that will test your ability to proceed through the game with the absolute minimum to complete it. Meaning enemies will hit harder, you will have less life and you will do less damage.

This quest requires a fair bit of knowledge of the game. Here is a quick rundown taken from a guide on what items will and will not be used.

Sword: The game forces you to take the Fighter's Sword (You Uncle at the
sewers) and the Master Sword (Lost Woods after getting the three Pendants).
The Tempered and Golden Swords are completely skippable.

Shield: We're not getting neither the Red Shield nor the Mirror Shield.

Mails: The Blue and Red Mails are entirely disposable. Skip them.

Pegasus Boots: We need these. Can't skip them.

Power Glove/Titan's Mitt: Both are needed. Get them.

Zora's Flippers: Needed as soon as you arrive to Swamp Palace. Buy them.

Moon Pearl: Required to go through the Dark World appropietly. Get it ASAP.

Bow & Arrows/Silver Arrows: We need all of this. Get the Bow & Arrow as soon
as you arrive at the East Palace. The Silver Arrows are only for Ganon, so
wait until the final fight for them (get them as early as possible if you want,
but it's more challenging by saving them for the end). We ARE skipping the
arrow upgrade from Venus at the Pond of Happiness. 30 arrows is more than
enough to beat the game.

Boomerang: This item is very skippable. Don't get it.

Hookshot: Required to navigate Swamp Palace and later dungeons. Get it.

Bomb: Needed all over the place. Get them, but don't upgrade with Venus.

Mushroom/Magic Powder: Not needed. Skip it altogether.

Fire Rod: Needed to navigate Skull Woods. Get it.

Ice Rod: Needed to beat Trinnex. Get it prior to going to Turtle Rock.

Bombos: Not needed. Skip it.

Ether: Required to enter Misery Mire. Go get it.

Quake: Needed to enter Turtle Rock. Get it from the fish at Lake of Ill Omen.

Lamp: Needed for Hyrule Castle. Get it as soon as you start the game.

Magic Hammer: Get it ASAP. It's required to explore the Dark World completely.

Shovel/Flute: Required items. Get everything and free the Duck.

Bug-Catching Net: Skip it. We're going to miss this item a lot.

Book of Mudora: Needed to open the Desert Palace. Get it.

Bottles: We're skipping all four bottles. This is perhaps what adds the most
challenge to this quest.

Cane of Somaria: Needed to fully explore later dungeons. Grab it.

Cane of Byrna: Not a needed item so skip it. We can't get it in this quest
anyway even if we wanted to.

Magic Cape: Comepltely disposable. Skip it.

Magic Mirror: You can't skip this item. So yeah, get it.

Extra Hearts: Skip all 24 Heart Pieces and the Heart Container at the
Sanctuary. We're beating the game with a total of 13 hearts.

Double Magic Meter: We're skipping this too. We can't get it since we're also
skipping the Magic Powder.

Depending on what day of the week it is LttP is my favourite game of all time. I used to come up with ways to make the game more challenging for myself as a kid and did a lot of the guidelines implemented here. But some of these never crossed my mind and I'm looking forward to going deeper with one of my all time favourites. I'm busy so I can probably only play 30 mins a day or something but I figure I should be able to hammer this one out before the new year.

Naked Lunch

Dragon Quest V - The king of JRPG games that didn't get a western release until the DS version. An amazing adventure that is still so insanely popular in Japan that it's still nearly synonymous with Dragon Quest almost 30 years later. Honorable mentions for Dragon Quest imports also extend to Dragon Quest VI and Dragon Quest 1&2, the later of which is an excellent port of the first two NES games akin to Mario All-Stars.
Interesting. I was always curious which of the 2 translated snes DQ games to play first. I know nothing about either. This description here just sealed it will be V.

itsbabadookusir

Neo Member
I just finished the ice dungeon. So far I've used save states and a guide only a couple of times.

I was reluctant to give it a serious go at first; while I have fond memories of watching my brother complete it when we were children, it was also a very dark period in my life. But I'm glad I did. This game is epic. It is haunting and touching and beautiful. Anyone seriously interested in the history of videogames should at least give it a whirl.

That being said, in classic old-school Zelda fashion it is obtuse as fuck at times. Do not let anyone shame you for using save states or a guide. Any claims that someone beat this unassisted when they were 5-years-are rather dubious.

Mad props to anyone who can school this game with 3 hearts and minimal items/upgrades.

jshackles

I don't want to leave this Hyrule yet. :(
If you have access to a 3DS, I highly recommend checking out A Link Between Worlds. In Japan it was released as A Link to the Past 2. Same hyrule, but new dungeons and new gameplay mechanics. Tons of fun.

Beat it last night. Took my sweet time with a dungeon a day. I admit to save stating for the Scorpion boss and Treenix, but that was only at the start of the fight so I didn't have to walk through the dungeon again. For some reason the Scorpion gave me a hard time, I'm going to guess because usually I have more hearts and some fairies so I never actually noticed how annoying his attack pattern can be. Embarrassed to say it took me 6 tries. With Treenix I figured I'd have to be perfect with my ice/fire rod shots or it would be over. Again that took me 5 or 6 tries until I finally got rid of both heads, then the rest was easy. Took me a few tries to beat Ganon too due to having to get in close to spin attack him. Eventually I worked out a strategy where I could lure him close to the wall and get two attacks on him off of one spin charge.

Anyway, had a great time doing the minimalist run. Haven't done anything like this in years and it's been awhile since I've played Lttp even though it's probably my favourite game of all time. Thanks for doing this and hopefully I can join in on the next game!

sol_bad

I finished DKC2 and gained all the retro achievements. Fun game and easier than the first.

Started Zelda tonight. Just beat Agahnim and he sent me to the Dark World. I'm enjoying it but it's no Wind Waker.
^_^

Business

After recently finishing the Link’s Awakening remake I gave LTTP a try and I‘m not really feeling it nearly as much. The dark world kinda sucks and the game is just too dungeon heavy for my taste... and despite being so similar on many aspects it just totally lacks the charm. Also compared to LA the dungeons puzzles are easier but the enemies are harder, which I dislike.

swarley64

I just finished LTTP yesterday... I've long thought it was the best game I've ever played so I was a little afraid to replay it in a modern context. Now in 2020, I feel like it has been surpassed by BOTW (also, probably by Bloodborne and Hollow Knight). But it's still easily a Top Five all-time great.

jshackles

I put forth that the next round of voting should be a choice between
  • The Ignition Factor
  • Super Valis IV
  • Tuff E' Nuff
Since those just came out a few weeks ago on Switch Online.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
GAME 4 AND 5 UP FOR VOTE:
January and February are gonna be busy months for me so I am gonna jump the gun a bit and have voting for both months. Since January is already underway and I am late I figured a classic beat em up should be a good game for people to get through, as well as freeing up some time for Febraury's Game which will be an RPG and will require far more time.

The theme for the Beat Em Ups is Super Hero Beat Ems ups because I said so! Mostly because I had to combine the poll to be both sets of games so it was easier to have a theme. Please Pick 2.​

I have to go with Batman Returns because 1) Konami beat em up and 2) I never beat maximum carnage or superman as a kid so I definitely don't have the patience as an adult now, unless I abuse the crap out of save states.

sol_bad

I know I'm late with finishing these games but I am up to the 3rd crystal in Zelda. I seriously walked around the world for an hour and a half and couldn't figure out how to get to the dungeon. I hadn't re-explored the light world again as I didn't think I would need to. I checked a guide and that made me realise that the light and dark world are much more connected than I realised. I can safely say I never would have worked out that I needed to hook on to a rock that is off screen to get to crystal 3 without checking a guide.
I might use the guide to collect all the items as well because I honestly don't want to re-explore both the light and dark worlds entirely every time I get a new item that can manipulate the game world.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I know I'm late with finishing these games but I am up to the 3rd crystal in Zelda. I seriously walked around the world for an hour and a half and couldn't figure out how to get to the dungeon. I hadn't re-explored the light world again as I didn't think I would need to. I checked a guide and that made me realise that the light and dark world are much more connected than I realised. I can safely say I never would have worked out that I needed to hook on to a rock that is off screen to get to crystal 3 without checking a guide.
I might use the guide to collect all the items as well because I honestly don't want to re-explore both the light and dark worlds entirely every time I get a new item that can manipulate the game world.

Not gonna lie I am still getting through it as well.

Business

Yeah I pushed myself to complete the game and my opinion stands, there's really not a lot to do in the overworld, just dungeon after dungeon to the point it gets tiresome .Some dungeons and enemies are brutal, while the actual puzzle is a non issue, that's also probably me showing my age and getting rusty but this is almost more like an action game. Also,
how the fuck is it possible the moment I'm almost done with the final boss the game let's me know that to give it the final coup de grace I need an item I don't currently have? I almost fell from my chair.

Hudo

Does TMNT 4: Turtles in Time not count as Super Hero Beat 'Em Up? Because that's a far, far, faaaaaaar, superior game to those Beat 'Em Ups listed.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah I pushed myself to complete the game and my opinion stands, there's really not a lot to do in the overworld, just dungeon after dungeon to the point it gets tiresome .Some dungeons and enemies are brutal, while the actual puzzle is a non issue, that's also probably me showing my age and getting rusty but this is almost more like an action game. Also,
how the fuck is it possible the moment I'm almost done with the final boss the game let's me know that to give it the final coup de grace I need an item I don't currently have? I almost fell from my chair.

I always found the 2D/Overhead games to be more action based and I think thats why I have mostly been a 3D zelda guy.

Top Bottom