• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Lettuce

As well, if you don't have a REALLY fine soldering tip and very fine wires, it's very difficult to do the RGB mod to the SNES Mini. Pictures really don't do justice to the smallness of the legs you're soldering to.

If you go the RGB amp mod route, its alot easier and looks cleaner. Heres mine...

ibwkhMM64B5l2A.jpg

I used 68 Ohm on my mini, and it is INTENSELY vibrant. I can see it being too much for some.

I used 68Ohm on one and 75 Ohm on another and couldnt tell the difference. Both seem to be the same intensity as my Super Famicom system

BitBoxes for SNES aren't being sold yet, but they will be black like the NES cases..

Interesting, when are they being released??

Final Fantasy III is worth more than Final Fight 3, regardless of the collector prices involved. It's one of the greatest games of all time. Final Fight 3 can't even compare to River City Ransom.

Timu

Final Fantasy III is worth more than Final Fight 3, regardless of the collector prices involved. It's one of the greatest games of all time. Final Fight 3 can't even compare to River City Ransom.
Call me crazy but I liked Final Fight 3 a lot.=O

Call me crazy but I liked Final Fight 3 a lot.=O

Yeah, that post is projecting a lot. It all comes down to a player's personal taste. The way I see it, Final Fight 3 is the 2nd best belt scroll action game on SNES, whereas Final Fantasy III is (at best) my 3rd favorite RPG on the system.

But, this was all originally about resale value, not anyone's personal assessments about the games themselves.

Lettuce

Yeah, that post is projecting a lot. It all comes down to a player's personal taste. The way I see it, Final Fight 3 is the 2nd best belt scroll action game on SNES.

Really, what are you saying is number 1 and number 3.

I'd say Batman Returns, Brawl Brothers and Undercover Cops are superior to FF3

EDIT: damn forgot about Turtles In Time and Knights of the Round as well.....maybe i should replay FF3 again, just could not get on with it when i played it

I look at all the SNES games I own, nice and minty in their boxes, and I'm grateful that I bought them all when prices were modest. But I can't help but think about all the games I don't own and how I shoulda woulda coulda bought them while I had the chance.

Rydeen

EDIT: damn forgot about Turtles In Time and Knights of the Round as well.....maybe i should replay FF3 again, just could not get on with it when i played it
As much as I like Batman Returns and Undercover Cops, CAN they be unequivocally better than FF3 when they don't have a two-player mode? Multiplayer is a huge contributor to a beat-em-up's enjoyment and playability, afaic.

Brawl Brother was my faveorite game growing up. Didn't realize it was actually that good of a game to be considered better then Final Fight 3, Thats awesome!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I look at all the SNES games I own, nice and minty in their boxes, and I'm grateful that I bought them all when prices were modest. But I can't help but think about all the games I don't own and how I shoulda woulda coulda bought them while I had the chance.

Yep, this is me as well :( I always thought the prices would go down when stuff like Virtual Console appeared. Seems it had the opposite effect.

Mark5130

This is the problem I'm facing right now as well. I traded A LOT of CIB SNES stuff back when I bought my Dreamcast, N64, etc., and now I want a lot of those games back and they cost a fortune, especially with the box and manual.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Way too many quality games on the Snes unfortunately (for my wallet). I am on the verge of starting to buy the more expensive ones like Eathbound, but managed to hold off still.

Teknoman

Super Punch Out does some really interesting things graphically. Kinda feels like a Neo Geo game if that makes any sense (I missed out on the game, and just got it in a recent trade).

I bought Hagane at a random video store that was closing down for $5 some years back. I had no idea how much it was worth. Crazy.

Same. Got my cart (and most of my classic games) for $3 from a flea market guy who also sold Nazi war relics. Crazy dude but great prices.

Also, Jesus Christ at the Wild Guns prices. It was a $30-50 game a few years back.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Same. Got my cart (and most of my classic games) for $3 from a flea market guy who also sold Nazi war relics. Crazy dude but great prices.

Also, Jesus Christ at the Wild Guns prices. It was a $30-50 game a few years back.

thats not even the craziest one most have shot up 1000% their regular prices of hell even a year back i got megaman 7 complete a year and a halfish ago for about $50 now its like $450-500 complete same for all the core games like i got all the basic stuff youd get for snes like super metroid, super mario rpg ect for less then $30 complete now its all over $100

edit: havnt played the console version but i picked up syndicate
syndicate_zps32a66e7a.jpg

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Oh man. Got a repro of Magical Pop'n. I only played it for a few minutes but I justed wanted to keep playing. The gameplay control is just soooo good. Incredibly tight. Very fast paced. It's like if Sonic the Hedgehog could also could do wand attacks and was also a Metroidvania.

My interest in collecting/playing some retro games has spiked over the past few weeks now that I'm in a position to search for and (hopefully) acquire them.

As a result I've been noticing some SFC bundles on eBay over the past few days that come with around 10 games or so. They're all from Japan and the shipping stings a bit but they seem to be worth it. Any recommendations?

Oh man. Got a repro of Magical Pop'n. I only played it for a few minutes but I justed wanted to keep playing. The gameplay control is just soooo good. Incredibly tight. Very fast paced. It's like if Sonic the Hedgehog could also could do wand attacks and was also a Metroidvania.

Really? I always felt Pop'n was weird in the same way Pulseman was; the sprite is way too big and scrolls too fast for the game to feel "good", especially compared to something like Sonic. You're seemingly hit before you can react to anything due to your giant hitbox.

ZealousD

Really? I always felt Pop'n was weird in the same way Pulseman was; the sprite is way too big and scrolls too fast for the game to feel "good", especially compared to something like Sonic. You're seemingly hit before you can react to anything due to your giant hitbox.

Are you even thinking of the same game as I am? Under no circumstances can her sprite be considered too large.

yMLnWc1.png
wpbNodd.png

ZealousD

LhcYAPj.jpg

wpbNodd.png

Uh, like this? Not too familiar with aspect ratios of Genesis and SNES. Either way I feel like her sprite is fairly small.

ZealousD

I just tried them both out back to back on my own TV. Her sprite probably is about 33% to 50% wider than Sonic's for sure, however she travels slightly behind the center (at least a full sprite's length) so you're actually going to have more forward screen real estate with Magical Pop'n than with Sonic in a typical situation.

The kicker is probably in the acceleration. Which is to say, Sonic has it and Magical Pop'n doesn't. You have a wait a bit for Sonic to go top speed but Magical Pop'n has only one speed. Which does make some sense. Sonic's control is a lot about his momentum in early games, so he can work with ramps and loops and such, and Magical Pop'n doesn't really have that sense of momentum. It has the speed, but not the momentum.

Ramune

Speaking of fresh from the box, how do SNES systems turn fugly yellow over time and what are ways to prevent it from happening? My system is still the same grey as Day 1 (were some white like in that MiB pic above, or is that just lighting?), and want to keep it that way. Its been stored in a hefty plastic bin amd now a days, its in whats left of its original box until Im ready to hook it back up (Box is fine, just frayed from constant opening and closing over the years. But it still covers the system just fine).

And one more question. Im trying to open up my system to see what rev. it is. Bought a few bits of Play-Asia, but need a bit more reach and the ones I can get to, I dont want to strip them. Any tips on say recommended screwdriver or handling stubborn screws for this system?

Speaking of fresh from the box, how do SNES systems turn fugly yellow over time and what are ways to prevent it from happening? My system is still the same grey as Day 1 (were some white like in that MiB pic above, or is that just lighting?), and want to keep it that way. Its been stored in a hefty plastic bin amd now a days, its in whats left of its original box until Im ready to hook it back up (Box is fine, just frayed from constant opening and closing over the years. But it still covers the system just fine).

It depends on the composition of the plastic. If its designed with fire retardant material it will yellow over time and there's no real way to prevent it (though you can restore the color by using oxi clean and hydrogen peroxide).

Dishwalla

Banned
Both my SNES and SFC only yellowed on the piece around the controller ports, and actually the SFC is worse than the SNES. Been meaning to clean them up, but I keep putting it off.

Both my SNES and SFC only yellowed on the piece around the controller ports, and actually the SFC is worse than the SNES. Been meaning to clean them up, but I keep putting it off.

My boxed SNES that looks like it's just about never been used is yellowed around the controller ports too. Pretty weird. Going to try to de-yellow my NES one of these days, so I'll probably do that piece at the same time.

ZealousD

Final shots of StoneAgeGamer's SNES/SFC BitBoxes.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sbhh00cvlkdwmbt/AACttJZScLlC0dx77_DgF-mka#/

For those of you not familiar with BitBoxes, StoneAgeGamer currently sells them for NES. They're a higher-quality alternative to Universal Game Cases. They are designed individually for each system rather than trying to handle it as a cheap one-size-meets-all approach as UGCs were. If you're familiar with the plastic cases that Disney used to use for their VHS tapes, these cases are very similar to those. The only drawback is that they are more expensive than UGC's, costing about 4-8 times as much.

StoneAgeGamer hasn't given a date as to when the SNES/SFC BitBoxes will go on sale. But if we have final snapshots, it will probably be sometime soon.

If they will hold thick manuals like Zelda III and Final Fantasy III, I would consider switching.

Especially if he offers a bounty in store credit on converting covers.

Peagles

Recent pickup, took a bit of a gamble bidding on a dodgy looking auction and won it cheap. The sticks are really nice, micro switches on the buttons and the sticks, and feel quite heavy and sturdy. Don't have any floppy disks around to try the Pro Fighter but it boots up okay. I may pick some up and give it a go just for kicks, lol.

It also came with an interesting power adapter that I forgot to put in the picture. It works here in NZ despite having a foreign adapter on the end. It splits into two and powers both the SFC and the Pro Fighter at once. Snazzy!

Played through Skyblazer yesterday, really enjoyed it. Shame that's it's a bit too easy. With more challenge it would be even more of a hidden gem I think

Mzo

Ha, they were talking about how hard the game was on Retronauts and how it begs for save states.

Par for the course, I guess!

Really? I know it's subjective but I really don't see how anyone could think that. Most of the bosses are pushovers once you recognize their (simplistic) patterns, and the extra lives are generous. The hardest part of the game was getting lost in the water level.

Hell the next game I put in was The Adventures of Batman and Robin, and I got my ass kicked, so I'm not exactly the world's greatest player. I can't even beat the first level of Contra Hard Corps

Serious question. I had a NES and SNES back when I was growing up. No longer have them and recently thought if its worth to get a Famicom and/or a Super Famicom? Are there any must have JAP games that don't require or you can get by without knowing Japanese?

I wanted to get a SNES but figured maybe I should give the Famicoms a try. They have always intrigued me but not sure if there are games worth having them for.

Thanks!

ZealousD

SNES's are basically region-free as long as you snip the plastic tabs. If you're talking about US, of course.

Rydeen

Famicom games are a bigger pain to get into if you're looking to just import the games and use an NES, you'll need a Famicom to NES converter to play games, either with a bypass pin board or with a converter like Hudson's Honeybee converter. Personally I just ended up getting a Famicom to play them on as having the system is a neat little curiosity item and a great conversation piece among video game interested friends.

SNES system with Super Famicom games are super easy. Like what was said earlier, just snip the tabs in the cartridge slot of the SNES and presto! You're good to play SuFami games.
Some really great Super Famicom exclusives to look into are:

Umihara Kawase
Do-re-mi Fantasy: Milon's dokidoki Adventure
Magical Pop'n
Undercover Cops
Edo no Kiba
Super Ninja-kun
Violinist of Hamelin
Ghost Chaser Densei
Pop'n Twinbee
Ganbare Goemon 2-4 (Mystical Ninja series)
Ganbare! Daiku no Gensan (Super Hammerin' Harry)
Cosmo Gang The Video
Xandra no Daibouken (Whirlo in Europe)
Psycho Chaser
Go! Go! Ackman 1-3
Cosmo Police Galivan 2
Melfand Stories
SD Hero Great Battle series, especially IV and V
Shin Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun - Kunio Tachi No Banka (the true sequel to River City Ransom)

TnK

For those of you not familiar with BitBoxes, StoneAgeGamer currently sells them for NES. They're a higher-quality alternative to Universal Game Cases. They are designed individually for each system rather than trying to handle it as a cheap one-size-meets-all approach as UGCs were. If you're familiar with the plastic cases that Disney used to use for their VHS tapes, these cases are very similar to those. The only drawback is that they are more expensive than UGC's, costing about 4-8 times as much.

StoneAgeGamer hasn't given a date as to when the SNES/SFC BitBoxes will go on sale. But if we have final snapshots, it will probably be sometime soon.
They allow for manuals? Seems like I will be getting these. I have a number of games with manuals, and these would be perfect.

Bar81

Really nicely done, particularly the dual SNES/SFC compatibility. Much better than the universal cases.

SNES's are basically region-free as long as you snip the plastic tabs. If you're talking about US, of course.

The North American SNES will Japanese games fine after gouging out the platic tabs, but I would hesitate to call it "region free" since still they won't play all PAL games.

Top Bottom