• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

fester

Banned
The SNES Classic announcement totally reinvigorated my SNES purchasing urges...so I've just managed to pick up Ogre Battle, Lemmings, Equinox, Aero The Acrobat, Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury 2 & Toy Story for a good price

Yeah, it made me realize that with the scalper prices I'll be forced to pay in the US just to own one, I may as well buy a few more games I can play on my original console. :)

Interesting (and technical) article about the dangers of quite a few flash carts including the Super Everdrive. Looks like the SD2SNES is safe.

https://db-electronics.ca/2017/07/05/the-dangers-of-3-3v-flash-in-retro-consoles/

I was close to pulling the trigger on a Super Everdrive recently so I'm very glad I held off. I'll save up for the SD2SNES and get one on Black Friday instead now.

Yet his only failure data was a "couple of friends" had their NES die because they used cheap knock off carts. Sigh.

Cheerilee

Yet his only failure data was a "couple of friends" had their NES die because they used cheap knock off carts. Sigh.

I don't know if that matters. He saw several NES's die in what seemed to be more than bad luck, looked into it, and figured out the problem (cheap knock off carts that don't handle voltage properly).

Looking further into the issue, he discovered that Everdrives produce about half of the kind of problem that killed those NES's, and they theoretically might be killing other hardware, but at a slow enough rate not to draw any attention or raise any alarms.

SD2SNES gets a clean bill of health from him, but Krikzz should make some Everdrive revisions, and people with older Everdrives should consider retiring them if they don't want to risk damaging their hardware.

SKINNER!

Banned
Interesting (and technical) article about the dangers of quite a few flash carts including the Super Everdrive. Looks like the SD2SNES is safe.

https://db-electronics.ca/2017/07/05/the-dangers-of-3-3v-flash-in-retro-consoles/

I was close to pulling the trigger on a Super Everdrive recently so I'm very glad I held off. I'll save up for the SD2SNES and get one on Black Friday instead now.

lolol. All those people online who say "Buy from Krikkz! Don't waste your money on the fake cheap Everdrives from china!" must feel silly after reading this. Not to discredit Krikkz's work (his products revolutionized the retro gaming scene) but considering that people are paying A LOT of money (Mega Everdrive) to get their hands on these original Everdrives you'd think these flashcarts wouldn't end up fucking with your machines like the cheap knock-offs. Still, article does state to avoid the knock-offs which is the correct advice.

But hey, awaiting a response from Krikkz (if there is one) before making my mind up.

SD2SNES gets a clean bill of health from him, but Krikzz should make some Everdrive revisions, and people with older Everdrives should consider retiring them if they don't want to risk damaging their hardware.

I'm sure there will be revisions. There's numerous Everdrive 64 and mega drive ones.

He did respond: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6614.msg51195#msg51195

It's not doing much to put my mind at ease though, I'll most likely replace my Super Everdrive with a SD2SNES. As far as I know there's no announcement of new Super Everdrive revisions.

The issue has also been discussed in the Retro-GAF thread.

He does have a lot of years and hours of hard testing of his product though:

I have MD2 and Famicom-av from first days, they intensively used for development and just to play some games. I use them more than 7 years in heavy mode and nothing happens. Also we have few consoles for production testing, they used almost every day and for 7 years only one famicom died, and it happens due the power cord accidentally shorted on console pcb. The only problem with those test consoles is cartridge connectors, they stop working every 5-10 months after such using in extremely heavy conditions, but after replacement they continue working.

-KRS-

Hmm the only ED I have is the Famicom N8, which looks like it passes the test. Phew.

I did have to get a new Famicom for it to work though, since the one I had only produced really garbled graphics with the N8. Seemed to be a pretty rare issue with some FC revisions.

I'm going to say everyone is jumping the gun on this one. Yes using resistors to pull the voltage down isn't the best way but it's been a reliable method since the dawn of electricity.

Between this and the cabling "controversy" I'm convinced retro gamers are willing to drink any Kool aid that gets handed to them.

are retro gamers audiophile tier yet?

Funny enough I have a bunch of silver wire left over from making my own audio cables and I am tempted to use it for some RGBs cables!

I'm sure I'll be able to notice the difference and then I can come here and shit on all the trash tier copper users! Copper rgb is basically as bad as RF

I'm going to say everyone is jumping the gun on this one. Yes using resistors to pull the voltage down isn't the best way but it's been a reliable method since the dawn of electricity.

Between this and the cabling "controversy" I'm convinced retro gamers are willing to drink any Kool aid that gets handed to them.

How is some one pointing out that something is wildly out of spec based on the data sheet for chips or devices drinking kool aid?

With the cabling "controversy" the signal was literally something like 10x out of spec. How is that kool aid drinking?

I don't understand how people sharing info and saying hey this stuff needs to be made better to fit with in the specs on the data sheet from the people who make it is a bad thing.

The people who make the chip say feeding it the wrong voltage or too much voltage can kill it, but it's fucking kool aid man, don't listen to anyone.

How is some one pointing out that something is wildly out of spec based on the data sheet for chips or devices drinking kool aid?

With the cabling "controversy" the signal was literally something like 10x out of spec. How is that kool aid drinking?

I don't understand how people sharing info and saying hey this stuff needs to be made better to fit with in the specs on the data sheet from the people who make it is a bad thing.

The people who make the chip say feeding it the wrong voltage or too much voltage can kill it, but it's fucking kool aid man, don't listen to anyone.

Maybe I worded it wrong. I'm all for people pointing out the flaws in design so we can improve on what we have. What I have a problem with is the people talking about throwing all their everdrives and RCA cables in the trash after they read one article.

How many people on here are running 30 year old capacitors? I bet blown capacitors have caused more failures then any rgb cable or flash cart.

Kawika

Maybe I worded it wrong. I'm all for people pointing out the flaws in design so we can improve on what we have. What I have a problem with is the people talking about throwing all their everdrives and RCA cables in the trash after they read one article.

How many people on here are running 30 year old capacitors? I bet blown capacitors have caused more failures then any rgb cable or flash cart.

With the voltage output. It seems like a simple fix on the cables. I personally haven't liked the ebayer's quality in a while and just have moved on to the UK vendor. I really wish the HD Retrovision guys would do scart too.

I happened to buy a SD2SNES over the weekend so its kind of fortunate anyway that this article came to light. The new boards Krikkz is designing (starting with the gba) shows a lot of promise and I feel comfortable with my everdrives. I have the Mega Everdrive (x7) and I don't think I am going to replace it. If it was a RGB NES or a Neo Geo that could be ruined I might think different. But Gen/MD are pretty cheap and I am not overly worried if it dies.

Cap replacement is in the future of most of my consoles. I think i am going to do one every few months until they are all brand new.

With the voltage output. It seems like a simple fix on the cables. I personally haven't liked the ebayer's quality in a while and just have moved on to the UK vendor. I really wish the HD Retrovision guys would do scart too.

I happened to buy a SD2SNES over the weekend so its kind of fortunate anyway that this article came to light. The new boards Krikkz is designing (starting with the gba) shows a lot of promise and I feel comfortable with my everdrives. I have the Mega Everdrive (x7) and I don't think I am going to replace it. If it was a RGB NES or a Neo Geo that could be ruined I might think different. But Gen/MD are pretty cheap and I am not overly worried if it dies.

Cap replacement is in the future of most of my consoles. I think i am going to do one every few months until they are all brand new.

Krikkz switching his design shows he saw room for improvment over his previose design. Based on his statement he's had minimal failures and I don't think I've ever heard of an everdrive failing or a console crapping out directly related to everdrive use.

The SD2SNES is sweet! Get some MSU1 action going ASAP.

Kawika

Krikkz switching his design shows he saw room for improvment over his previose design. Based on his statement he's had minimal failures and I don't think I've ever heard of an everdrive failing or a console crapping out directly related to everdrive use.

The SD2SNES is sweet! Get some MSU1 action going ASAP.

TBH, the loading times and the MSU1 are the main reason for my upgrade. Maybe I don't want to play MMX2-3 in Japanese anymore either since I am never getting those games in English.

I don't see why it's an issue that people are going to stop using the bad devices and cables. I unfortunately have one of these cables from RCA and plan on spending some time this weekend fixing it. If I had one of those everdrives (thankfully the ones I have fall in the good spots) I would stop using it. I had a bad clock capacitor in my Xbox I removed it, I had bad capacitors in my Duo and they got replaced. Personally I do what I can to keep my systems running well as long as possible.

I don't see why it's an issue that people are going to stop using the bad devices and cables. I unfortunately have one of these cables from RCA and plan on spending some time this weekend fixing it. If I had one of those everdrives (thankfully the ones I have fall in the good spots) I would stop using it. I had a bad clock capacitor in my Xbox I removed it, I had bad capacitors in my Duo and they got replaced. Personally I do what I can to keep my systems running well as long as possible.

I respect that approach.

TBH, the loading times and the MSU1 are the main reason for my upgrade. Maybe I don't want to play MMX2-3 in Japanese anymore either since I am never getting those games in English.

I have a super everdrive and I upgraded to the SD2SNES for those exact reasons. I have no regrets.

Is there a thread for general SNES discussion? I couldn't find any.

You're in it

giphy.gif

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've started buying SNES shit again. This time, I bought Illusion of Gaia. Feels good.

Getting a new SNES last year along with a SCART cable, and finally doing this shit right, was the best decision I made last year.

TeaJay

I've started buying SNES shit again. This time, I bought Illusion of Gaia. Feels good.

Getting a new SNES last year along with a SCART cable, and finally doing this shit right, was the best decision I made last year.

Was it a 1chip SNES Mini? I got one and got instantly blown away how much sharper everything looked compared to my old PAL SNES

Was it a 1chip SNES Mini? I got one and got instantly blown away how much sharper everything looked compared to my old PAL SNES

All minis are 1 chip. I rgb modded my mini, put a SD2snes in the slot and put (2) Bluetooth adapters in the controller ports. I have no interest in digital audio so I do belive I've hit the SNES end game.

RGB modded Mini is the bestest. I'm considering having the RGB board in mine replaced (or doing it myself) with Voultar's 7374 board. Waiting for some one to do a comparison with the 7374 and the 7314.

RGB modded Mini is the bestest. I'm considering having the RGB board in mine replaced (or doing it myself) with Voultar's 7374 board. Waiting for some one to do a comparison with the 7374 and the 7314.

Looks like this will answer your question.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=58863

The 74 is undeniable a cleaner picture and it should be used instead of a 14 but, in my opinion, it's not worth upgrading from a 14 to 74.

There won't be any noticeable difference expecially if you're playing on a CRT or simulating scan lines.

Yeah I play on a flatscreen through the framemeister. I can definitely see a difference. I think I could do the switching of the boards myself, for the 18 - 30 bucks Voultar's two boards cost I might buy them for my SNES Mini and PCE Duo.

-KRS-

Do you guys know if there are snes rgb scart cables with separate audio output? My tv doesn't have any rca outputs in the back, and hooking up the headphone output to my receiver leads to a lot of noise.

Peagles

Do you guys know if there are snes rgb scart cables with separate audio output? My tv doesn't have any rca outputs in the back, and hooking up the headphone output to my receiver leads to a lot of noise.

You could just get a little breakout brick to siphon off the audio separately... something like this.

Cogwheels

Neo Member
I've just managed to bag a copy of Buster Bros off eBay.

I can't fathom why this excites me so much. I guess I've always wanted to play it and I've never seen it.

Danielsan

Had a buddy over yesterday. At some point we decided to hook up the SNES and I randomly picked out Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts as the first game to pop in. We ended up playing through the entire game once before moving on to something else. That inspired me to finally attempt a full play through of the game (beat it twice, using the bracelet the second run). Can't believe I made it. Feels good. I adore this game. Makes me all the more sad that I sold my copy of Demon's Crest.

r2LHbBmm.jpg

Had a buddy over yesterday. At some point we decided to hook up the SNES and I randomly picked out Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts as the first game to pop in. We ended up playing through the entire game once before moving on to something else. That inspired me to finally attempt a full play through of the game (beat it twice, using the bracelet the second run). Can't believe I made it. Feels good. I adore this game. Makes me all the more sad that I sold my copy of Demon's Crest.

r2LHbBmm.jpg

Congrats! That's not an easy game by any means.

I played them in reverse order, so I missed the plot and pathos of Gaia. I couldn't eat bacon for like, a week! Soul Blazer is much more fun on a replay though.

Still those two plus, Terranigma might be my favorite trilogy of all time. I love having all three in box for some reason.

I love this game! Gaia was a letdown after this, to be honest. I really missed the brisk pace of SB.

eXistor

I played through SB for the first time about a year ago. Great game, really held up well I think. Gaia (or Illusion of Time as I know it) was my first of the "trilogy" so I have a soft spot for that with Terranigma being an all-time favorite. I had the dubious advantage of English not being my first language, so growing up I never really saw the bad translation job they did as a downside to Terrangima.

A great trilogy, too bad Quintet isn't around anymore, they made some stellar games.

IrishNinja

meant to say, since everdrives are bad bad bad now im heroically offering to take anyone's SD2SNES board off their hands for $30 & keep their beloved system from damage, pls DM me

I really love Soul Blazer the most. Illusion was just to slow for me :(

Terranigma's the only in the sereis ive finished so far but i wanna get back into Soul Blazer sometime

Top Bottom