• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

entremet

It makes sense when you consider the print runs. Take Chrono Trigger, for example. 2.3 million copies for Japan (a country of 130 million people), and 200,000 copies for the entire English-speaking world.

I love Super Famicom game boxes. Publishers could do portrait or landscape designs and no standard black border like SNES releases.

tumblr_m2yjinooZP1rnxe6ho1_500.jpg

Bururian

Only game I have CIB at this point is Mega Man X. I want X2 and X3 CIB, to complete my X series collection, but they are going to be pretty pricey.

Ramune

Ah SNES. Despite hosting some of my most favorite games ever, I never gave it the attention that I did to my Sega Genesis. Back in High School, I would save my lunch money and go to the nearby Blockbuster Video and get used SNES games that way. Kicking myself for not getting Earthbound back then, as they even had it's ridiculously oversized box complete. Among other things (Mega Man 7 & X3 for instance).

My small collection:
3306728544_4f404ba0b5_z.jpg

I don't even want to know how much the games I'm missing are going for now a days. @_@
Seems scalpers are especially bad this year.

this is the thread I have been looking for! :D:D:D:D

Need some good tips on great games available in PAL land.
Going to a retro convention at the end of feb 2013
Planning on spending some money on some great games.

I already own:
Super Mario bros all stars
Super Mario world 1
Super Mario world 2
Donkey Kong 2
Plok
Zelda ALTTP
Super Ghouls'n Ghosts
Mario is missing
Goof Troop
Tetris Battle Gaiden
Star Fox
Lion King
Killer instinct

Already planning to buy:
Donkey Kong 1
Donkey Kong 3 Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
Indinana Jones Greatest Adventures
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 6
Mario Kart
Super Street Fighter 2
Super Metroid
Aladdin

Looking for tips on:
Great smups
Great platformers
Action adventures
In general great snes games that I do not know about or have not thought of.

Not looking for:
JRPG's: except great pirce on Chrono trigger (I know its not PAL but already own a converter)
And except for Final Fantasy 6

jonno394

Where is this wonderous event taking place? I live in Birmingham, anywhere near??

Where is this wonderous event taking place? I live in Birmingham, anywhere near??
Sorry man its in the Netherlands. :(

http://maps.google.nl/maps?f=q&sour...51.454274,5.815544&spn=0.016045,0.025749&z=14

http://www.dr-retro.com/beurs/
information

Retro Game Fair Deurne

The third edition of the largest retro gaming exhibition of the south on February 24, 2013 held at SCC "The Turn" in Deurne.

On this day, dealers and collectors were offering their retro, MSX and Atari to Playstation and Gamecube, anything you can find. With more than 190 tables again promises a great retro spectacle to be!

Olly88

Looking for tips on:
Great smups
Great platformers
Action adventures
In general great snes games that I do not know about or have not thought of.

You seem to have similar tastes to me so I'll recommend a few that I like/love;

Skyblazer,
Out To Lunch,
Super Castlevania IV,
Pop'n TwinBee: Rainbow Bell Adventures,
Zombies Ate My Neighbors (just called "Zombies" in Europe),
ActRaiser,
The Addams Family,
The Addams Family: Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt,
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose,
Super Adventure Island.

Can't recommend any more at the moment as I'm tired but hopefully those helped a bit :)

You seem to have similar tastes to me so I'll recommend a few that I like/love;

Skyblazer,
Out To Lunch,
Super Castlevania IV,
Pop'n TwinBee: Rainbow Bell Adventures,
Zombies Ate My Neighbors (just called "Zombies" in Europe),
ActRaiser,
The Addams Family,
The Addams Family: Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt,
Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose,
Super Adventure Island.

Can't recommend any more at the moment as I'm tired but hopefully those helped a bit :)
YES! this is what I need!
forgot about these :D

Thank you go much for the list.
And I'm going to look into the rest of the list :D

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Subbed! I really want to build my SNES collection up again at some point. God I miss my old collection (the VC just isn't the same, I've come to realise.)

What's that red cart? Doom?

Count me in. Was the only way I got Megaman X 3 for a reasonable price.

Yeah, X3 was one of the pricier Super Famicom games I had picked up, being one of the few I paid more than 1000 ($12?) yen for. I'm something of a cheapskate collector though. I actually just picked up Rudra no Hihou for 2100 yen today, which is my most expensive so far, but I was tempted by the SFC games in the glass case at Super Potato in DenDen Town, Osaka. Demon's Crest, Wrecking Crew 98, Fire Emblem: Thracia 776, and an handful of others I wanted were all over 4000 yen. Final Fight Tough (3) was 12800 yen.

I would be so damn poor if I lived in Osaka and could get to the store more easily.

IMG_2328.JPG

(Only a tiny portion of the selection there)

If you have access to Japan, there is a ton of really cheap games in the local Book Off, TRADER, and other small game shops.

I bought a top of SFC games at 100-500 yen each ranging from Yoshi's Island for 250 yen in box to 25 yen copies of Street Fighter II Turbo to 600 yen SMW. Most are reasonable and a lot of times you will find the SFC version to be cheaper than the US version. Of course RPGs are out of the question. I have few dozen games but I will be getting more when I head back to Tokyo in a few weeks.

You will see the off color ones are way cheaper, I got one copy of Zelda Link to the past for 100yen with an slightly yellow back.

YES! this is what I need!
forgot about these :D

Thank you go much for the list.
And I'm going to look into the rest of the list :D
I thought I'd toss in a recommendation for UniRally. (UniRacers in my part of the world.) It's a different take on racing from the people at DMA Design. (You may know them, they eventually went on to make a little game called Grand Theft Auto.) Of course, it's nothing like GTA, but this is an under rated gem and I don't think it should be that expensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eH_5WIGo3c

edit: Oh, and also - Super Smash TV. Hard as hell, but a great game.

If you have access to Japan, there is a ton of really cheap games in the local Book Off, TRADER, and other small game shops.

I bought a top of SFC games at 100-500 yen each ranging from Yoshi's Island for 250 yen in box to 25 yen copies of Street Fighter II Turbo to 600 yen SMW. Most are reasonable and a lot of times you will find the SFC version to be cheaper than the US version. Of course RPGs are out of the question. I have few dozen games but I will be getting more when I head back to Tokyo in a few weeks.

You will see the off color ones are way cheaper, I got one copy of Zelda Link to the past for 100yen with an slightly yellow back.

I'm only looking in Osaka for rarer games now. I live in Fukui prefecture, which is inaka, and I've bought every game of interest I can find at book offs, comp offs, hard offs, the local recycle stores, and a chain of awesome used game and anime merchandise stores. The latter are great for the range of prices, and I picked up all the Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games for much less than their common prices by stumbling across copies that were hiding behind others and had much lower price tags (most for 100-200 yen). I found 400 yen Terranigma and Illusion of Gaia, 50 yen Magic Sword, Star Fox, Ogre Battle, and Final Fight, 100 Yen Secret of Mana, 100 yen FF6, and 500 yen near mint in box Dragon Quest 3 SFC remake.

The only problem I have now is my tiny school owned teacher's housing apartment has virtually no storage space, and I'm running out of room for all the games I've picked up here. I've bought about 70 SFC games, along with a mountain of GB, GBA, PSX, N64, PSP, DS, 3DS, NGP,WonderSwan, and Famicom games over the my time in Japan.

That said, the local Book Offs seem to have gotten the biggest restock of the year recently, and I snagged a few games I had been looking for for ages, incliding the Wonderswan Klonoa.

giggas

I will buy mine from this guy. But he had an overload of orders in january so his next batch of SNES-N64 cases is coming March (He said that in the Nintendoage forums). :(

He also has a homepage here: http://www.videogameboxprotectors.com/

It's possible that it might be a bit cheaper to order directly from the site, especially if you're buying in bulk. I ordered my first set of boxes from here the other day, though I have yet to get them. I ordered boxes from my NES games, and a 100 pack of sleeves for DVD boxed games. Also ordered a single sleeve for a loose Castlevania and a single sleeve for a loose Actraiser. I got the two of them signed at MAGFest this year by their composers, so I'd like to be able to display them.

Actually those two are the only reason I went to the site, and I ended up getting the other stuff as a result. I was tempted to get another 25 pack of boxes for my SNES games, but I'm trying to be a bit better with money. I'll get that stuff in time. Also, the SNES sleeves work on N64 games (since they're the same size).

Also, I saw a boxed Space Megaforce in this thread. Damn, I think that one is worth a fair price. Nice stuff.

bjork

I miss the scene from about 10 years ago. I found a boxed Lufia 2 for $2 at a collector show near here. Plenty of mom and pops around who still had new stock on SNES, and you could even occasionally score at a GS in their used bin. Sold my SNES some time ago but I'd like to buy another and collect the small pile of games I had. Luckily most are inexpensive so it wouldn't be too bad.

My only real tip for collecting is that I used to put tissue between the boxes so that they wouldn't have any sort of ink transfer, but now I think I like the idea of flattened boxes that was mentioned earlier in the thread. Could still employ the tissue as well, might as well keep things as nice as possible with the secondary prices how they are.

Oh, as for OP's question about modding a SNES: you open the cart slot and bust off two tabs. I did it on my old SNES with a pair or pliers and about 45 seconds of elbow grease. Easiest mod around.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It is really weird how US games have become so expensive, but the Japanese market is still reasonable. It's a bit frustrating.

My collection's pretty well divided between US games and Japanese games. There are certain games that got a domestic release that I'll buy the Japanese version of anyway, either because the Japanese version just feels more "authentic" because all the text is in Japanese (in a game like Hagane, for example) or because the US version was censored (Super Castlevania IV, Cybernator, Prince of Persia.)

By the way, the best Japan-only game is Rockman & Forte. For serious.

Sushigod7

Looking through this thread I really regret selling all my SNES stuff when I was small. Had the super scope 6 too. I've been looking for a decent system to restart my collection and also trying to start Dreamcast collection as well.

Michan

It is really weird how US games have become so expensive, but the Japanese market is still reasonable. It's a bit frustrating.

Different cultures.

The Japanese have little space, consider old things to be worthless, are brought up expecting everything to eventually "return to the earth."

Americans have tons of space and hoard like crazy.

Sorry for the generalisations

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
on the look out for
wild guns
evo
megaman x2 and 3
dracula x (how did this get more expensive then the turbographics version all of a sudden?)

Fox Mulder

I only started collecting last year when I got a retron 3. It's hard to find stuff where I live and I wanted to jump start a decent collection so I resorted to eBay for a number of titles. I actually found donkey kong country 3 and super metroid at a pawn shop for cheap, never played those. I'm also considering going to yard sales in the spring.

If only I hadn't sold every console I had towards the new stuff each gen, the prices now are crazy. Even common ass games are $20.

Thanks to GiantBomb for turning me on the Tetris Battle Gaiden. It was cheap as hell sent from Japan, I love Tetris, and it's an incredible multiplayer game.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Wow, I had no idea Wild Guns carts were going for more than $100 on ebay. Glad I own it already as it's one of my favorite games for the system.

inner-G

Banned
Here is most of my wife & I's SNES stuff:

IZA0SlYl.jpg

eBgeXAJl.jpg

J7MD2U1l.jpg

FkSQn37l.jpg

... There's quite a few good ones in there ;)
9janH06l.jpg

Best system ever, in my opinion. Natsukashii, ne?

eXistor

I'm going as well, last time I went I spent about €300,- on a whim. I'm going a bit more prepared this time. I made a list and everything :) Pretty sure I'm gonna spend hundreds of Euros this time as well...

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I have some pictures of some of my SNES stuff, along with my other retro consoles.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/mcbradders/my-retro-game-collection/52-636797/

It's split between American and Japanese as I have a US SNES with the tabs cut out to play those sweet Japanese tapes. There's still some stuff I really want to get hold of, but I have pretty much everything I want.

I'd like a Japanese Super Metroid boxed, Wild Guns (lol as if), Tournament Fighters, Megaman X and a few other oddities I used to play as a kid but aren't really in any rush. It's hard to find NTSC stuff in England, so usually I have to pay a little above the odds. My favourite pieces (Ninja Warriors Again and Super Double Dragon) I picked up in Super Potato. I visited pretty early on in my trip so was very conservative. Hindsight is 20/20 however cuz I returned from the trip with enough cash to replace my Xbox launch unit with a slim.

Oh well, lol :(

So for now it's eBay. Recently grabbed Yoshi's Island, F-Zero and Super Empire Strikes Back (THQ version, RIP) and learned about the JVC/THQ runs... learn something new every day despite being heavily invested in the scene at the time. How things change :)

I own an Earthbound, FF3 and FF2 (usa) carts, among others. I've got quite a few, actually. Going to sub this thread and come back later.

Petrie

Banned
I've found multiple copies of Earthbound, Castlevania, and Contra III at various garage sales. Always just throw them on Ebay as a non-collector myself. Should I come across another copy of any of them in my travels it's yours OP.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Got a boxed copy of A Link to the Past (Gold/Brown Background) with the manual for 140$.

Will post pic later.

There's a store called PrePlayed about 40 minutes from where I live. They have tons of SNES and other retro stuff. Good place to go for buying games, but they really try to rip you off when selling.

I got an SNES for the first time in my life at the end of this past summer. Just came with Super Mario World. I made a list of games I want to get for it that I never experienced before but haven't really focused on picking up any of them yet since I had to pay for expenses elsewhere.

Probably, the big purchase would be Earthbound since I never played it before and would love to give it a try. It'd be one expensive try though.

Linkhero1

My current queue of games I'm trying to add to my collection.

Demon's Crest
Mega Man 7
Secret of Mana - CIB
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Super Punchout - CIB
Tetris Attack - CIB

I know some are easy to obtain but at the moment I can't afford to get any of them.

entremet

My current queue of games I'm trying to add to my collection.

Demon's Crest
Mega Man 7
Secret of Mana - CIB
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Super Punchout - CIB
Tetris Attack - CIB

I know some are easy to obtain but at the moment I can't afford to get any of them.

One of favorite Mega Man games. It gets a lot of hate, but I loved it. I would love a VC release, but sigh. The VC was such empty promises.

Linkhero1

One of favorite Mega Man games. It gets a lot of hate, but I loved it. I would love a VC release, but sigh. The VC was such empty promises.

I love it. I always borrowed it along with the X games from my cousins. It's too expensive for me to buy at the moment, but I will get it as soon as I can.

Quackula

Wasn't hard to make a good dent in my N64 and NES libraries, but SNES keeps eluding me. I don't seem stumble onto big lots often.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who regularly kicks themselves over all the stuff they'd sold off when they were younger.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Does anyone have any advice about capturing footage from the SNES? I want to capture from the source and not an emulator if at all possible. I have an NTSC SNES running through a SCART cable, if that's any help.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Different cultures.

The Japanese have little space, consider old things to be worthless, are brought up expecting everything to eventually "return to the earth."

Americans have tons of space and hoard like crazy.

Sorry for the generalisations

Nah, it's the SNES in particular that seems to be affected. Saturn games, for example, can be pricey, but they're in line with where Japanese Saturn games are. Same with PS1 games. Same with.... most systems. But the SNES for whatever reason seems to be extremely expensive, by comparison. Maybe dudes just have more nostalgia for the SNES.

bjork

Out of curiosity, if anyone's really deep in this: what's the price difference between an original release and the ones with the gold ribbon? I'm wondering if the gold ribbon ones are all cheaper, or if somehow one of those is some low-print point of interest.

I collect just loose carts generally, and only games that I like. Right now I'm at 20-something...

Super Mario all stars
Super Mario world
Super metroid
Super Mario kart boxed
Zombies ate my neighbors
Earthbound
Final fantasy III
Chrono trigger
Final fantasy mystic quest
Illusion of Gaia boxed with tshirt
F zero
Star fox boxed
Lufia boxed
Phalanx factory sealed
Gradius iii
Turtles in time
Breath of fire
Mighty max
Adventures of kid Kleets
Robo trek
Secret of evermore
Yoshis island
Link to the past us and Japanese versions
Super game boy and super game boy 2
Road runners Death Valley rally
Tiny toon adventures buster busts loose

Hope my next pickup will be final fantasy ii or Lufia ii, or even better, breath of fire ii (my favorite in the series)

I don't generally bother with boxes unless I happen to find one. The cart is what I really care about.

I also have two super Famicom visual novel type games boxed, but I know nothing about them.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Out of curiosity, if anyone's really deep in this: what's the price difference between an original release and the ones with the gold ribbon? I'm wondering if the gold ribbon ones are all cheaper, or if somehow one of those is some low-print point of interest.

players choice like greatest hits versions

totowhoa

Banned
I pop into my local goodwill whenever I'm near it. I've found some great gems there (Mario RPG, chrono trigger) along with many other less rare but great titles for many other systems

Bururian

Picked up a copy of Lufia & the Fortress of Doom today for $11. Can't wait to play it.

Does anyone remember this SNES game? It was a disney game, and the cover had a blind-folded duck in a karate gi on the cover, I believe. I always thought that game looked interesting, but never got around to playing it.

Lettuce

Here's my collection....

iZEjLMqtJMqCD.JPG
iCv1ZWXWlizvM.JPG

ibtx6PdDerjv1U.JPG
i79kKeL9i1QkY.JPG

ibjPMJFC3XmSuE.JPG
iPDu3wH5keEHw.JPG

ibnON3j149TbYb.JPG
ifVLeMB9ApfA1.JPG

Got myself some of those, Sentinel Protector Boxes so will look forward to putting all my games in those. Have also just acquired Metal Warriors aswell!!

Top Bottom