• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Linkhero1

Well, I'm going to wait on Castlevania until I can find one at a better price. But I did order a copy of Donkey Kong Country 2 (CIB). Ever since Nintendo de-listed those damn games I've been slowly acquiring the physical copies. Now just DKC 3 to go...

Same. I don't know if I should drop $40 on SCIV or not. I'll decide after I hit up the flea market and see if I can find it there.

Teknoman

So I just got my S-Video Nintendo cable from Racketboy, the image showed one with just the S-video + Red and White audio cables, but I ended up getting one of these:

j9R2a92P79M66.jpg

Think they'll be alright even though they have the Yellow composite video plug on the cable as well?

The CRT with S-video I snagged from a thrift store last weekend broke (worked just fine the first night too) so the only real way I can test before repairs is via an HDTV...and i'm not sure that would be an accurate test.

terrisus

Yeah, they'll be perfectly fine, just use the Red/White/S-Video and don't worry about the Yellow, I've seen plenty of S-Video cables that have the Yellow Composite tagging along for the ride.

Heh, the one I bought is already worn out.. Are these more durable?

Nope. Mine is nearing needing to be replaced also. Apparently that's just how this shit is, they aren't professionally made, so they're going to wear out. I have used the shit out of mine, and I'm sure it'll last until May, so a year isn't bad for the five bucks I paid.

Is there any way to tell a fake SoM cart from a real one? I'm about to bite the bullet on a copy sometime in the next few days.

I would fucking hope you don't really have to worry about fake Secret of Manas being out there. The cost of parts would eat too much into the potential profits. I'm sure they'd rather make things like MMX3, Hagane, and Earthbound that are worth at least double the money.

Teknoman

Yeah, they'll be perfectly fine, just use the Red/White/S-Video and don't worry about the Yellow, I've seen plenty of S-Video cables that have the Yellow Composite tagging along for the ride.

Cool, then i'm almost ready to go.

The 19" flat (Phillips) SD-CRT from about 2005 that I have has component, S-Video, and composite inputs, so yes, they do. It is true that a lot of these flat CRTs, including mine, are silver, but as the post above shows black does exist too...

I'm not sure if component really improves visual quality all that much on an SD signal (the TV is NOT progressive scan compatible, turning that on just turns off the picture pretty much), but it must, or they wouldn't have the ports on it would they...

I think thats the one I have...but somehow it flipped out (guess something got burned out after the first night I had it) and i've got to hit a repair shop. Hopefully its not to much to get fixed since I only bought it for like 14.99

Fascinating!! I never realized people dupe carts and sell them on ebay. I feel dumb, but it makes total sense.

Just remember, if you get stuck with one, use Ebay buyer protection to the fullest extent to get a refund.

Speaking of Hagane, it should be easily playable in Japanese right? The JP versions go for about 50 bucks. Also whats a good price to pay for Ninja Warriors?

Quackula

The 19" flat (Phillips) SD-CRT from about 2005 that I have has component, S-Video, and composite inputs, so yes, they do. It is true that a lot of these flat CRTs, including mine, are silver, but as the post above shows black does exist too...

I'm not sure if component really improves visual quality all that much on an SD signal (the TV is NOT progressive scan compatible, turning that on just turns off the picture pretty much), but it must, or they wouldn't have the ports on it would they...

While S-video does clean up the picture a lot by removing stuff like dot crawl, it still has color bleed, etc. Component gets rid of that.

Component looks better, even without progressive scan.

Linkhero1

I would hope so. I won a bidding for a loose Secret of Mana cart with no actual image of the cart. The description said the label is still on the cart with no blemishes or scratches. I couldn't help it. It was only $36

Teknoman

I'll try to hit up the swap meet as well, hope the rain stops.

We should all get at least one game, no matter how bad, and post our finds.

I don't think I've bought anything the last four times I've gone.

I'll be up for that tomorrow. Thinking about hitting up flea markets while i'm out.

Kainazzo

Well I guess i'm a bit confused by how I plan to make my setup work. Basically when I move into my own house, I need some ideas on how to layout the consoles I have. Stuff like the Gamecube, Ps2 and Xbox have component cable support, and I guess i'd like a TV that best flaunts those, while still being able to plug my Nes/Snes/etc into it and shoot at some stuff :p

Hmm, well if light gun support is important, would it be possible to convert a GunCon 3 to work with a PS2? That gun does work with LCDs. Also, since several PS2/Gamecube/Xbox games support 480p, they should look okay on a HDTV in 4:3 mode. I don't know too much about light guns, but does this help?

Edit: Nevermind!

goldenpp72

Whoa, wrong topic. Sorry!

I don't think it would be possible to make the guncon 3 work on a ps2 unfortunately, being someone who owns probably.. 10 or 15 consoles that have light gun games, it's definitely an important feature. I think I definitely need a CRT set unfortunately, I just don't know what the best ones were.

One thing I do have to say is, I've always liked the Japanese/PAL controller design over the US one

snescontrollers.jpg

The 4-color design just looks much more appealing than two sets of light/dark purple

Also makes the Special World design in Supr Mario World make much more sense

special-zone.png

Which matches the system logo on the games from those regions as well, of course.

You won't like the cord length though. It's only like a foot long lmao.

Olly88

The cord on my controller is pretty long. About 8-9 feet.

The Mega Drive cord however is very short. About 3 feet.

EDIT: I was talking about PAL, not Super Famicom which I assume you were talking about :)

Oh nah, I was talking about the Super Famicom one.

To be honest I completely forgot about the PAL SNES. I think I glanced at that photo too quickly.

The SF controller's cord length (I have a SF as well as a US SNES) is really short.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Out of curiosity, why the short controller lengths in Japan? Seems to be the case with pretty much all the old systems.

I assumed it's because the average Japanese house is only slightly larger than the Super Famicom box and long cords are unnecessary. Or maybe they just don't like the clutter.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I found where I had my damn lists finally. Thankfully I've acquired most of the really expensive stuff I want. All the stuff marked with an asterisk is in the mail.

I figure once I get all these I can work on finding weirder stuff that sounds cool and getting Super Famicom games. I'd really love to have Super Famicom copies of stuff like Bahamut Lagoon, Seiken Densetsu 3, et al. with the translated ROMs burned to the original carts. That'd be awesome I think.

Have
Breath of Fire
Chrono Trigger
Contra III: The Alien Wars*
Cybernator*
Darius Twin*
Demon's Crest
Donkey Kong Country
Earthbound
EVO: The Search for Eden
F-Zero
Final Fantasy III
Harvest Moon
Kirby's Avalanche
Kirby's Dream Course
Lufia II: The Fortress of Doom
Mega Man X
Secret of Evermore
Secret of Mana
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario All Stars
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!
Super R-Type*
Tecmo Super Bowl III: Final Edition
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time
Tetris Attack
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Uniracers
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Want
Actraiser
Actraiser 2
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs
Battletoads/Double Dragon
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Earthworm Jim
Earthworm Jim 2
Killer Instinct
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Lufia
Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3
Pocky & Rocky
Robotrek
Shadowrun
Sunsetriders
Super Ghouls n Ghosts

Been checking around for FF: Mystic Quest. All I've ever heard about this game is that it's super easy. But it's fairly cheap, even CIB. Is it worth seeking out?

Been checking around for FF: Mystic Quest. All I've ever heard about this game is that it's super easy. But it's fairly cheap, even CIB. Is it worth seeking out?

It's worth playing, but don't pay too much for it, it'll never be the highly sought collector's gem like it's two big cousins are.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I just paid for those SFC Turtles games I mentioned earlier. Man fuck this thread, it's killing me.

(I Love this thread!)

smbu2000

One thing I do have to say is, I've always liked the Japanese/PAL controller design over the US one

snescontrollers.jpg

The 4-color design just looks much more appealing than two sets of light/dark purple

Also makes the Special World design in Supr Mario World make much more sense

special-zone.png

Which matches the system logo on the games from those regions as well, of course.

That's not the only difference, the buttons are also different. The 4 face buttons on the Super Famicom are all convex. On the SNES, two are convex and two are concave. I didn't notice it at first.

RetroEd

I got it CIB off of amazon for $10 a couple months ago. Couldn't even finish it it was so boring. Worth having for the price, but it is so easy. You literally don't have to pay attention. Just keep clicking the attack button and you'll win. I'll get back to it one day.

Same. I don't know if I should drop $40 on SCIV or not. I'll decide after I hit up the flea market and see if I can find it there.

Are you telling me my copy of SCIV is now worth $40? My lord have prices escalated. I have just about every desirable SNES game, including all the megaman x titles. I can't even imagine how much so of these must be worth now. This might be the highest this stuff will ever be valued. It surely can't last forever.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Are you telling me my copy of SCIV is now worth $40? My lord have prices escalated. I have just about every desirable SNES game, including all the megaman x titles. I can't even imagine how much so of these must be worth now. This might be the highest this stuff will ever be valued. It surely can't last forever.
I for one hope it isn't forever. I'd be fine dropping $75-80 on copies of MMX3 or Ninja Gaiden Trilogy to finish out my collection. But double that? Nope.

terrisus

I've never used a SF controller but I just Googled it and yep, the cord does look very short :p

controllercordspng4oj8j.png

The cord on my controller is pretty long. About 8-9 feet.

The Mega Drive cord however is very short. About 3 feet.

EDIT: I was talking about PAL, not Super Famicom which I assume you were talking about :)

Yikes, did not realize the cord on the SFC one was so short. Good thing it was mentioned here, since I had been thinking about importing one of them.
Seems like the PAL cord is a good length from the second post though, so may just go that route.

Garcian

I missed my snes collection, so picked up a cheap console last year - it came with a load of top carts including the donkey Kong countries, super metroid and so on. It's just a fantastic machine all over. This thread is great too; i love seeing peoples pick ups so keep them coming.

My current want is zombies ate my neighbors, but that goes for decent money at the moment.

Teknoman

I blame the VGA people for inflation. They're worse than Obama.

How did the VGA grading stuff get started anyway?

You should be able to snag one for at least 5-15 dollars i'm thinking. Pretty easy and straight forward, but its a nice RPG lite to run through every so often and the soundtrack is great.

Dave_6

Looks like he had around 30 of them. When I bought this one it said ~10 sold and approximately 19 left.

Edit: Left feedback and looked at the listing again; currently says 28 sold and more than 10 available so he must have quite a few of them.

GulAtiCa

Yeah I dislike all the VGA auctions. So annoying.... It almost seems like eBay is the wrong market for those people.

Anyways, went to a bunch of thrift stores, no results. Well except for the abundant of old Xboxs.

Alfredo

Here's my current SNES/SFC collection:

I was a dumb little kid and got rid of a bunch of games when I discovered trade-ins.

I also have a Super Famicom, just because I hated the look of my yellowed-SNES. I got a SuperUFO Pro 8 to try and get SNES carts to play on the Super Famicom, but that function doesn't work so well due some games having those fancy special chips in them (Doritos, probably). It's nice being able to play patch-translated games on the actual hardware, though.

I figure this is probably the best thread to ask this in.

I'm looking at buying CIB copies of FF4,5,6 for the SFC and I found them going for $49 (for all three) + shipping (about $12 for all three). This seems like a pretty good deal, but I'm not 100% sure.

I tried pricing the games out individually to see if I could get them cheaper, and I can except for FFIV, which for some reason seems to be going for more than the other two and raises the total to about $10 over what the set costs.

I figure this is probably the best thread to ask this in.

I'm looking at buying CIB copies of FF4,5,6 for the SFC and I found them going for $49 (for all three) + shipping (about $12 for all three). This seems like a pretty good deal, but I'm not 100% sure.

I tried pricing the games out individually to see if I could get them cheaper, and I can except for FFIV, which for some reason seems to be going for more than the other two and raises the total to about $10 over what the set costs.

I saw a bunch of them for $10-12 CIB when I was in Tokyo in November. Not bad considering you don't have to hunt them down. Just watch the shipping, but it will take 1-2 months to get to you.

krae_man

I think I'm pretty much finished with my SNES collection:

I've rebought every game I used to own and pretty much all the games I remember renting and loving. Prices seem to have gone up a lot since I was actively adding to my collection as well.

According to the buyer I can pay double for the shipping and it'll only take about 2 weeks. I don't particularly mind waiting though, as long as I know they're on the way.

I've wanted to collect SFC RPGs since this time last year, but it's only now that I actually have the funds to do so. Originally I was just looking at a copy of FFIV (the first RPG I really got into), but then I saw that the CIB price wasn't much more than cartridge only, so I figured why not. Then it just kinda snowballed from there and now I want them all :p

Top Bottom