• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Has anyone created a list of all the must own SNES titles? Currently, I'm collecting games I've owned or played as a child, but I would love to see a list of must have games.

Years ago, I made a thread that tried to serve as a guide for people looking for good games to play. This isn't really an indicator for rare or expensive games, just games worth playing. It might help.

With all of this Earthbound talk I'm kicking myself for not picking us this collection on Craigslist a couple weeks ago.

Earthbound CIB
Earthbound loose cart
Shadowrun
Mario RPG
Syndicate
Zombies ate my neighbors
Snes console and a few other games for $450. It seemed too rich for me at the time but man thanks to GAF I realize how wrong I really was.

Linkhero1

With all of this Earthbound talk I'm kicking myself for not picking us this collection on Craigslist a couple weeks ago.

Earthbound CIB
Earthbound loose cart
Shadowrun
Mario RPG
Syndicate
Zombies ate my neighbors
Snes console and a few other games for $450. It seemed too rich for me at the time but man thanks to GAF I realize how wrong I really was.

Wow, so you missed out on two Earthbound? I'd kick myself in the face.

Michan

Earthbound CIB
Earthbound loose cart
Shadowrun
Mario RPG
Syndicate
Zombies ate my neighbors
:'(

Regret. I know exactly how it feels to have missed out on something like that. But one day you'll find a pot of gold which'll cancel it out. Keep that chin up!

Credo

It kills me that I don't have the boxes for any of my games. I've got the booklets for all my cartridges, but it's a bit late at this point to start going for all boxes because I doubt I'd ever be able to find them all. I have 50 games already, so it'd be ridiculously pricey to try to get complete editions of all of them, or even half of them.

Parallacs

Hmm... there's a guy in my area selling both Mega Man X and DKC1 for $35 altogether. Might jump on that.

Pretty good. That's probably $10 less than you would pay on eBay.

If you have a swap meet / flea market nearby, you will eventually find both for ~$10 each.

Linkhero1

Flea Markets in my area have become utter shit. A majority of SNES games that people are selling are sport titles. The only decent game I found was Contra III and that was overpriced by about $15. I spoke with a guy and he says that most of these guys buy the games for real cheap and resell them for a ridiculous price. $70 for a used snes? lol

I think I'm done with flea markets and sticking to the internet from now on. At least I know I'll get a better deal and a working game.

Super Castlevania 4 is $32 incl. shipping on eBay right now, yeah or nay? I've never played any Castlevania before symphony of the night, so is it pretty good and lengthy? Is it metroidvania in any way or do that begin with SotN?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Super Castlevania 4 is $32 incl. shipping on eBay right now, yeah or nay? I've never played any Castlevania before symphony of the night, so is it pretty good and lengthy? Is it metroidvania in any way or do that begin with SotN?

It's great. As I'm sure you know, it's a straightforward action game rather than a Metroidvania like SOTN, but the game has really good level design and a lot of variety. It's pretty lengthy, from what I remember. Arguably, it has the best gameplay mechanics of the pre-SOTN 'Vanias.

Pretty good. That's probably $10 less than you would pay on eBay.

If you have a swap meet / flea market nearby, you will eventually find both for ~$10 each.

There's a few flea markets around, but the pickings are usually pretty slim. (sports titles and otherwise really common games) The absolute luckiest I've ever been in regards to flea market/thrift store hunting was getting EB for under a dollar, and good fortune like that is probably a once in a lifetime thing.

I've had decent success with Craigslist and eBay though, so I might stick with those avenues for now.

I'm thinking I might buy SFC copies of expensive games like Mega Man X3. These will play on a U.S. SNES, right?

I figure for action games like this the language won't matter.

plc268

I'm thinking I might buy SFC copies of expensive games like Mega Man X3. These will play on a U.S. SNES, right?

I figure for action games like this the language won't matter.

As long as you take the tabs out in the cartridge slot, they'll work fine.

But yea, I definitely recommend getting the SFC version of games. A couple of months ago, I got SMW, All stars, and Yoshi's Island in a bundle all for $20, SFC version. Pricing out the american versions would have put me closer to $50. Screw that for common games.

Stuff like the Donkey Kong Countries are also much cheaper. Search for Super Donkey Kong though, and Rockman for Megaman.

Wait a minute...how the hell is Mega Man X going for 25 only for just the game...I could buy a CIB copy for like 15-20 bucks just a few months ago!

But yea, I definitely recommend getting the SFC version of games. A couple of months ago, I got SMW, All stars, and Yoshi's Island in a bundle all for $20, SFC version. Pricing out the american versions would have put me closer to $50. Screw that for common games.

Stuff like the Donkey Kong Countries are also much cheaper. Search for Super Donkey Kong though, and Rockman for Megaman.

Cool, thanks. I can't bring myself to spend $100+ on X2 and X3.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Pretty much all of Konami's stuff is better in sfc land, too, due to the US versions of a lot of their games being censored and Contra III having a proper continue system in JP. And they're a lot cheaper. Win-win, mo'fuckas.

Hey guys, I'll post my collection later(it's not much) but I just want to ask: what is a fair price for Turtles in Time, cart only? I loved the game as a kid but I only rented it a bunch back then, unfortunately, so it'd be great to play it again but I don't really want to spend more than I should. $25? $30?

Parallacs

Wait a minute...how the hell is Mega Man X going for 25 only for just the game...I could buy a CIB copy for like 15-20 bucks just a few months ago!

This is the theme of this thread.

You could buy Earthbound for $60 two years ago.

I'm just glad I finished about 90% of my collection before this price spark happened.

Hey guys, I'll post my collection later(it's not much) but I just want to ask: what is a fair price for Turtles in Time, cart only? I loved the game as a kid but I only rented it a bunch back then, unfortunately, so it'd be great to play it again but I don't really want to spend more than I should. $25? $30?

It looks like auctions end above $30, though one BIN was set at $18!

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=turtles+in+time&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

I would set my price point at $20 and take my time hunting for it, unless you really want it.

I would wait a bit and see if prices drop back down. Back in Dec/Jan it was selling for $10-$15. Now it's at $35-$40.

I would wait a bit and see if prices drop back down. Back in Dec/Jan it was selling for $10-$15. Now it's at $35-$40.
Wow, really? Thanks for the tip, goes to show how much I actually know! :p

Now I just wish there were some places around me that I could buy SNES games. ): There was one indoor flea market about 5-10 minutes away, but there were only 2 game booths there. One was pretty awesome with imports and guide and magazines and everything(they even sold Earthbound for $5 on Black Friday), but they disappeared a few months back, I guess. Now there's just some old guy selling games for way more then they're worth. :/

plc268

This is the theme of this thread.

You could buy Earthbound for $60 two years ago.

I'm just glad I finished about 90% of my collection before this price spark happened.

Well, to be fair, we're all contributing to the price hike. Just a few years ago, no one really cared about collecting SNES games, and most were content with emulating if there was interest in playing the games.

I don't know what sparked the change (potentially the current gen of consoles lasting so long?), but there's been a huge resurgence in collecting SNES games. While a lot of games aren't rare by any sense, simple demand has caused prices on some games to skyrocket.

Edit: ANd not only that, most thrift stores, flea markets, and goodwill have wised up and put SNES games on ebay or priced them alongside ebay prices. I know a lot of people come in here and whine about how their area goodwill and stuff doesn't have any good prices... just know that's the norm and the people posting $2 Chrono Triggers and $4 Earthbounds are by far the exception.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Is Vortex any good?

I missed out on it as a kid and a CIB one is going for a super reasonable amount right now. Please consider that I liked Stunt Race FX a whole lot at the time (it is still pretty fun... ¬_¬).

HylianTom

Banned
Well, to be fair, we're all contributing to the price hike. Just a few years ago, no one really cared about collecting SNES games, and most were content with emulating if there was interest in playing the games.

I don't know what sparked the change (potentially the current gen of consoles lasting so long?), but there's been a huge resurgence in collecting SNES games. While a lot of games aren't rare by any sense, simple demand has caused prices on some games to skyrocket.

Yup.

I was discussing this with a friend recently. Looking at the calendar, realizing that we're now living in two-thousand-fricking-thirteen -- 20+ years after the SNES - was quite a scare for me. These physical game copies are only going to get scarcer and scarcer, and in worse shape as time goes on. If there's a title or a collection that you're after, now is the time to act, as these items are only going to get more and more expensive.

Meanwhile, in the back of my mind, I wonder if all of us witnessing the ongoing shift from physical to digital media distribution is affecting how we perceive the value of these items. We're seeing it happen right before our eyes, with some of it god and some of it bad, with the charm and tactile value of the physical being further marginalized.. so turning to reflect upon cartridges from an easier time might be altering our perception of value.

Fox Mulder

It kills me that I don't have the boxes for any of my games. I've got the booklets for all my cartridges, but it's a bit late at this point to start going for all boxes because I doubt I'd ever be able to find them all. I have 50 games already, so it'd be ridiculously pricey to try to get complete editions of all of them, or even half of them.

I respect people the go all out for complete games, but that's too much for me. I only really prefer cases with Genesis games, since those are pretty cheap complete. I might try for some plastic cases that a couple sites sell with box art.

Yup.

I was discussing this with a friend recently. Looking at the calendar, realizing that we're now living in two-thousand-fricking-thirteen -- 20+ years after the SNES - was quite a scare for me. These physical game copies are only going to get scarcer and scarcer, and in worse shape as time goes on. If there's a title or a collection that you're after, now is the time to act, as these items are only going to get more and more expensive.

Meanwhile, in the back of my mind, I wonder if all of us witnessing the ongoing shift from physical to digital media distribution is affecting how we perceive the value of these items. We're seeing it happen right before our eyes, with some of it god and some of it bad, with the charm and tactile value of the physical being further marginalized.. so turning to reflect upon cartridges from an easier time might be altering our perception of value.
They're not all going to get scarce... Donkey Kong Country 1 sold 9 million copies worldwide, for instance. Tied for third that generation in sales, with Sonic 2, behind only Mario World (20 million) and Sonic 1 (15 million). And yet the two Nintendo games from that list of four sell for much more than the two Sega games. It's not really about rarity, just value.

Heck, as far as playing them today goes, the first two Sonic games might be better in a way, since neither of those games have a possibly-dead battery inside the cart...

Got back from Disc Replay in Decatur Illinois. I said last week that someone had wiped out the Terre Haute Indiana one as far as SNES/NES stuff goes. I have a new theory. They just raised their prices. Maybe there isn't price parity between the stores, but I've been going to the Terre Haute, Springfield, and Decatur stores since November and they always seemed comparable. Today, they wanted $40 for Soul Blazer, which I got from the Terre Haute one for $13 back at the end of November. Guess I started collecting just in time to grab a lot of great prices from them, but no more $6 Mega Man X or $25 Secret of Mana.

I did have a decent score, though. Nothing amazing price-wise. But, I got:

VT96qKs.jpg

All for $75. Demon's Crest and C3 are absolutely perfect looking. Actraiser 2 has some sticker residue on the label. Not sure how I'll go about getting that off, but I'm sure I'll manage. Pretty decent score. Before they were literally charging half of ebay prices, which wasn't the case here. So, yeah. Thinking they just caught on.

McBradders

Is Vortex any good?

I missed out on it as a kid and a CIB one is going for a super reasonable amount right now. Please consider that I liked Stunt Race FX a whole lot at the time (it is still pretty fun... ¬_¬).

I bought it anyway... if it sucks I am blaming you, GAF.

Vortex566

Dude, is that NTSC?

For sentimental reasons I really want an NTSC copy of Probotector but I don't even know if such a thing even exists :(

No, it's PAL. I think it was only called Probotector in Europe. I'm sure it was Contra in the states, but might be wrong.

McBradders

No, it's PAL. I think it was only called Probotector in Europe. I'm sure it was Contra in the states, but might be wrong.

I was hoping Mexico might have had my back... curse my desire for the purist of Mario Kart experiences as a child, I will never play as NTSC robits shootin' dudes :(

LOL. Is that a password written on the label with marker? The fuck!?
I'm half tempted to try the code out.
This makes me feel terrible but I used the Mega Man X password FAQ to work out what the password does. I think it is a pattern 4 one:
Code:
-N -N -X XY
XY XY XY XY
XY XY -X -X
Which if I understood correctly means Flame Mammoth is left to defeat and some Sub tanks/heart tanks in various other stages were not collected.

I'm half tempted to try the code out.

This makes me feel terrible but I used the Mega Man X password FAQ to work out what the password does. I think it is a pattern 4 one:
Code:
-N -N -X XY
XY XY XY XY
XY XY -X -X
Which if I understood correctly means Flame Mammoth is left to defeat and some Sub tanks/heart tanks in various other stages were not collected.

I just tried it. It's at Sigma's Castle, all armor, all heart tanks (I think), but only one sub tank. Kid must have felt like a god getting that far, had to be sure he never lost the code.

Top Bottom