• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Looks like the SNES I bought shipped, should be here in two-ish days. I kinda feel like a little kid anticipating Christmas again, heh.

Also, do Super Famicom controllers work fine on a US model? I just can't resist the allure of those multicolored face buttons.

-KRS-

I don't know if the European controllers work, but if they do you could get one of those instead if you want a longer cable than the SF controllers have. I think in general every region controller should work on every region system, but I know there are some earlier PAL SNES models that can't use US controllers without modding for example. So it might depend on your SNES. Someone else probably knows more.

Edit: BTW, with all the Earthbound talk. Anyone know what's up with this box I have? Got it with the game years ago. I've posted it on gaf before in some other thread but I guess no one had seen it because it was ignored. :p

DSC_1507.JPG

It's the same size as a regular SNES box but it feels very different, almost like if the material consists of more plastic than paper. It's also very thin. I dunno if it's fake or not. But I have seen such a box being sold on ebay one single time. It was a BIN listing though so I couldn't really tell the value from it, but it was listed for $99 for only the box. I don't know if anyone bought it though. Anyway, just wondering what it might be is all. The "For Display Only" text at the top makes me think it was actually used as a promotional item in stores or something. That could also maybe explain why it feels so different to an actual retail box. Oh and the box has the product code SNS-OO-USA (or maybe that's 00?) instead of the SNS-MB-USA that the cartridge has on it if that helps. The cartridge is definitely not fake. I've opened it up and checked it out.

inner-G

Banned
Looks like the SNES I bought shipped, should be here in two-ish days. I kinda feel like a little kid anticipating Christmas again, heh.

Also, do Super Famicom controllers work fine on a US model? I just can't resist the allure of those multicolored face buttons.
They do, but they are short. Like very short. I wonder if European SNES controllers work?

The US ASCII controllers have SFC colored face buttons as well.

if anyone is looking for turtles in time and dont want to pay $80+ on ebay or amazon the place where i buy most my games is selling it complete for $49
http://www.estarland.com/NintendoSuper.cat..product.3334.html

Oh, man...I completely forgot about this site. I think I ordered some S-Video cables for a few of my older consoles from them around 2007/8. Good site. Thanks for reminding me about it! Hah. I may have to order some stuff from them again when I can.

Teknoman

With all of this Earthbound talk I'm kicking myself for not picking us this collection on Craigslist a couple weeks ago.

Earthbound CIB
Earthbound loose cart
Shadowrun
Mario RPG
Syndicate
Zombies ate my neighbors
Snes console and a few other games for $450. It seemed too rich for me at the time but man thanks to GAF I realize how wrong I really was.

Whoa man, you probably could have sold CIB, and kept the rest...coming out even.

I don't know if the European controllers work, but if they do you could get one of those instead if you want a longer cable than the SF controllers have. I think in general every region controller should work on every region system, but I know there are some earlier PAL SNES models that can't use US controllers without modding for example. So it might depend on your SNES. Someone else probably knows more.

Edit: BTW, with all the Earthbound talk. Anyone know what's up with this box I have? Got it with the game years ago. I've posted it on gaf before in some other thread but I guess no one had seen it because it was ignored. :p

It's the same size as a regular SNES box but it feels very different, almost like if the material consists of more plastic than paper. It's also very thin. I dunno if it's fake or not. But I have seen such a box being sold on ebay one single time. It was a BIN listing though so I couldn't really tell the value from it, but it was listed for $99 for only the box. I don't know if anyone bought it though. Anyway, just wondering what it might be is all. The "For Display Only" text at the top makes me think it was actually used as a promotional item in stores or something. That could also maybe explain why it feels so different to an actual retail box. Oh and the box has the product code SNS-OO-USA (or maybe that's 00?) instead of the SNS-MB-USA that the cartridge has on it if that helps. The cartridge is definitely not fake. I've opened it up and checked it out.

Its not fake, but its just a promo display box.

BTW, with all the Earthbound talk. Anyone know what's up with this box I have?

The For Display Only boxes were sent to retailers. They'd put them on their shelves for customers to look at, instead of having to put the actual game out there (or gut a retail copy and use the empty package). The Earthbound one was identically sized to the rest of the SNES library. It's a cool collectible but there are a lot of them out there, they're not worth much and they don't count as an actual Earthbound box since the game was never sold with that.

-KRS-

Yeah that's what I thought. Thanks. Since I'll never be able to afford the actual box it's still pretty nice to have something odd like that at least. :)

GulAtiCa

Yeah i recently read that real earthbound box is bigger because it cane with a guide or map or so. That is just a generic retail box used at retailers.

They do, but they are short. Like very short. I wonder if European SNES controllers work?

The US ASCII controllers have SFC colored face buttons as well.

Ah, thanks. Was considering a SFC controller since they seem a bit more readily available to buy online, but the wire length issue does create a bit of a dilemma. Guess I'll search for a PAL controller!

Fox Mulder

It's a display box for rental places. Some people got ahold of unfolded stacks of these from closed video stores, and theres probably reproductions out there too.

I was looking at re-buying a SNES in preparation of building my collection but I was wondering if I should go for the mini instead of the original. Are there any advantages?

Nice looking Mega Man X just went up for $23 shipped. Been a good amount of these the last couple days, but still a good price so thought maybe there was one more person here who may need one.

Link.

EDIT: Gone.

I was looking at re-buying a SNES in preparation of building my collection but I was wondering if I should go for the mini instead of the original. Are there any advantages?
No, they took out the S-Video in the mini, though apparently it can be modded to utilize it, because it's supported internally. Other than that, the changes are fairly minor. There's no longer an eject button on the mini, and no power light.

If S-video is important to you, then stick with the original model. The mini doesn't offer anything special that the original didn't have, and it's not like the original model is expensive or anything.

Rezae

I noticed my recently purchased SNES is missing the locking tab for when you power it on and lock the cartridge in place. Should I be concerned with this? Seems the replacement part is really cheap and I've had a few cases of games going blank on me if I move the system too much while powered on, I'm assuming from loose contacts.

Persona7

Banned

That box looks real to me, it is the display box and not the original box the game came in.

I noticed my recently purchased SNES is missing the locking tab for when you power it on and lock the cartridge in place. Should I be concerned with this? Seems the replacement part is really cheap and I've had a few cases of games going blank on me if I move the system too much while powered on, I'm assuming from loose contacts.
Maybe someone modded it to play Super Famicom games?

Just for the hell of it, and for the people keeping their F-Zeros sealed, here are the contents.

I especially like the comic that's in the manual.

IQOiy3n.jpg

GMuUTci.jpg

jGjP4Si.jpg

KjxYCaI.jpg

edit: Sorry, they're so blurry. My phone is not cooperating tonight.

LOL...I don't think so...?

Anyway, I would be with you guys bidding on stuff (you've been finding some great deals) but I have to save some money until I get my tax refund. Also have to allow myself enough cash to pick up the rarest PSP game Evar! (See the COH thread in case you didn't know about it.)

Anyway, I would be with you guys bidding on stuff (you've been finding some great deals) but I have to save some money until I get my tax refund. Also have to allow myself enough cash to pick up the rarest PSP game Evar! (See the COH thread in case you didn't know about it.)

Yeah, I'm done for now until I start my new job (hopefully next month but kind of doubting it). Mega Man X 2 and Demon's Crest are a good way to top it off for now though. I also have a Final Fantasy 5 repro coming at some point. So I have plenty to hold me over.

Sushigod7

LOL...I don't think so...?

Just went and checked it out thanks for the heads up signed up (hope thats what you were talking about) COH2?

Got a stack of old Nintendo Powers from a local rental place that closed down. Found something kind of interesting in one of the issues:

A preview of Secret of Mana that mentions four player action. I've never heard of this before. I wonder if it was really intended or NP was just wrong about that.

-KRS-

The music is indeed awesome. I like it more than the original PC version music actually. Dat SPC700. But yeah the game itself is really blurry. Still, it's pretty good for what it is.

-KRS-

That's what I've been doing the last month or so mostly. It's definitely a nice system to collect for, and since it's a handheld you can even collect the console itself in different colors and revisions and whatnot. And as I've mentioned before, GB games are still mostly dirt cheap. So it's easy to start collecting the classics for cheap.

Edit: Game Boy Pocket is my favorite handheld. Just look at them chilling on my NES.
Irresistable.

Edit2: One negative thing about collecting GB games though is that the boxes are VEEERY easy to damage from pressure because they're so flimsily built together. They look great when they're in good shape, but that shape is so easily destroyed in the mail that it's always a gamble when you buy a CIB GB game from ebay. You just have to hope the seller knows about this and packs it even better than regular game boxes.

-KRS-

The GB Light is fat though (the backside). Pocket is slender. :D

Edit: Maybe we could do a combined GB and NES collectors thread since they're both 8-bit consoles from Nintendo? Optimally each would have a separate thread though. I'd make one but I've never posted a thread before so I'm a bit scared lol.

if anyone is looking for turtles in time and dont want to pay $80+ on ebay or amazon the place where i buy most my games is selling it complete for $49
http://www.estarland.com/NintendoSuper.cat..product.3334.html

I live not too far from this place (as I'm sure many gaffers of the DC area do). They used to have two stores, the one in Virginia that's still there now and one in Maryland that died after Gamestop started buying everywhere. It was just Starland then (rather than EStarland) It's where I bought Shenmue 2 from I guess it's 11 years ago now before I knew anything about importing. Between two Starlands, Pandora's Cube, Funcoland, CDGamesExchange,etc we used to be pretty set in this area. I remember buying NES games for 75 cents and SNES games for $3. It's crazy how times change.

I haven't been to a retro game store in the DC area in a while. I suppose I could hit up Pandora's Cube in College Park or Power Gamer in Glen Burnie (insofar as that counts as "DC area"), but I'm not really in the position to do so at this moment (still paying myself back for my recent Wii U purchase - although that should be over sometime in March)...

I remember being really bummed that the CDGameExchange in College Park closed down, though. I liked that place :I

jay

I haven't been to a retro game store in the DC area in a while. I suppose I could hit up Pandora's Cube in College Park or Power Gamer in Glen Burnie (insofar as that counts as "DC area"), but I'm not really in the position to do so at this moment (still paying myself back for my recent Wii U purchase - although that should be over sometime in March)...

I remember being really bummed that the CDGameExchange in College Park closed down, though. I liked that place :I

I don't know those places, thanks for the info. I used to pick up old games at the Tenley CDGameExchange. It really sucks that they closed most (or all) of those stores.

Teknoman

Got a stack of old Nintendo Powers from a local rental place that closed down. Found something kind of interesting in one of the issues:

A preview of Secret of Mana that mentions four player action. I've never heard of this before. I wonder if it was really intended or NP was just wrong about that.

I thought the interesting part was that they were actually going to bring it over as Final Fantasy Adventure 2.

Chinner

Banned

Edit: Maybe we could do a combined GB and NES collectors thread since they're both 8-bit consoles from Nintendo? Optimally each would have a separate thread though. I'd make one but I've never posted a thread before so I'm a bit scared lol.

i definitely think someone should make a GB/GBC/GBA thread for collectors. it deserves it.

Linkhero1

Use the format of this thread :p

I'd make one, but I never really looked into collecting handheld games. DS is probably the first handheld I actually have a decent sized amount of games for.

Top Bottom