• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Games Headed to Nintendo Switch Online

Mista

Banned
SNES-Switch.jpg

The recent Nintendo Direct featured plenty of amazing news for classic Nintendo fans but none bigger than the SNES announcement

A little into the event, it was revealed that a large catalog of SNES games will be headed to Nintendo Online.

Here is the full list of games that are headed to the system:
  • Brawl Brothers
  • Demon’s Cross
  • Joe & Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics
  • Kirby’s Dream Land 3
  • Star Fox
  • Super E.D.F. Earth Defense Force
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island
  • Super Puyo Puyo 2
  • Super Tennis
  • Breath of Fire
  • F-Zero
  • Kirby’s Dream Course
  • Pilotwings
  • Stunt Race FX
  • Super Ghouls’n Ghosts
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Soccer
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

These games will feature rewind abilities, local and online multiplayer, and much more.

Twinfinite

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Glad to see Breath of Fire there but the SNES had so many great RPGs it's a shame they couldn't add a few more to the starting lineup. Notably Mario RPG or any Final Fantasy games.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Remember how awesome the Virtual Console was?....... :lollipop_pensive:
Remember how it kinda sucked though? It would have taken Nintendo about 2 years to release this many games on Virtual Console on the Wii / Wii U / 3DS.

And each individual game was $8. Now you get 20 games + (all the NES games) for $20 a year.

Last edited:

jts

...hate me...
I need them controllers. Hope it doesn’t take long for them to be up for ordering, already a bit miffed that aren’t there for the launch of SNES games.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Double post

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope they add Secret of Evermore and Illusion of Gaia down the line.

RPS37

I’m so excited for this, because I was a genesis kid. We got a snes late in the cycle and only play like Mario rpg and super game boy, so I’ll be playing LTTP and SMW for the first time.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
On so one thing I don’t understand is that they pick the games so they can have some sort of online thing. But games like Metroid and Zelda... how’s that work then?

Last edited:

jshackles

Buying > Renting.
So you'd rather pay $160 for these 20 games than $20 a year?

I mean, I agree that the ability to buy them is better than renting them, I'm just saying the Virtual Console was super overpriced and also if you have an exploitable Switch you can play all these games already anyway (so it's not exactly about preservation).

Chittagong

Gold Member
How can Nintendo‘s e-commerce team be so incompetent that once this controller is announced you can’t order it? They even have the price on their site, so literally no reason not to allow preorders

Mozza

I'd never buy all those games.

There are about six or so that I like. So it wouldn't cost me much to purchase them.

Even if you just bought a handful each of NES and SNES titles it would cost more than the $19.99 subscription.

Birdo

Banned
Even if you just bought a handful each of NES and SNES titles it would cost more than the $19.99 subscription.

£19.99 for the entire gen.

To play them with subscription for five years: $99.99

Bargain :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You never really owned those Virtual Console games though, Nintendo's account system has always been in the dark ages.
Tired of paying for your games a million times over with Nintendo not letting you just buy it once to play on all your waahoo systems?
You own these games?
Use retrode to rip em legally
Mod your 3DS/Switch and play them all there!

#Phonepunk#

Banned
would RUUUULE if SNES drops at midnight? likely not tho.

i would guess around 2 EDT tomorrow, but keep in mind, that's a guess.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
yeah they where smart about that cause i would never ever ever have resubbed if not for snes

sol_bad

Why are people praising this? Please don't praise this.
Nintendo had a great thing going with the Wii and Wii U where you could actually purchase the games to own.
Paying a monthly fee to access these games is not praise worthy. They are doing this just to add "value" to their service.
Gross.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Nintendo had a great thing going with the Wii and Wii U where you could actually purchase the games to own.
Paying a monthly fee to access these games is not praise worthy. They are doing this just to add "value" to their service.
Gross.
that is about the only damn reason i would sub lol
why not support it?

sol_bad

that is about the only damn reason i would sub lol
why not support it?

To me, having to subscribe to a service to play a game is as bad as a streaming service. Once that service is gone, your games are gone.
Throughout the life span of the Switch you'll pay hundreds of dollars. Then when they shut the service down there go your games.

With Nintendo, their service is worse than Sony/Microsoft because their console started off with online play out of the bag with no fee, then charged for it later. And mother fuckers ate it up like a fat kid in a candy store.

Ulysses 31

Gross.
You don't want them to add "value" to their service? :messenger_dizzy:

I prefer to judge things as they are and not how they should've been my fantasy world, it's a considerable improvement and so I'll reward them by lengthening my membership.

Top Bottom