• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Games Headed to Nintendo Switch Online

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
To me, having to subscribe to a service to play a game is as bad as a streaming service. Once that service is gone, your games are gone.
Throughout the life span of the Switch you'll pay hundreds of dollars. Then when they shut the service down there go your games.

With Nintendo, their service is worse than Sony/Microsoft because their console started off with online play out of the bag with no fee, then charged for it later. And mother fuckers ate it up like a fat kid in a candy store.
i couldn't care fucking less. DO you have any idea how many times i own certain snes games?
It's the convenience and if that costs money ? i don't care

Last edited:

KàIRóS

Perfect time to finally bring Terranigma to America, don't miss the chance Nintendo.

3Qpo3Ny.jpg

sol_bad

i couldn't care fucking less. DO you have any idea how many times i own certain snes games?

If you are happy to buy a single game multiple times that's your prerogative, I like to pay once and own the game for good.
Nintendo aren't even allowing you to do that with the SwItch. That does not earn them appreciation and gratitude. They know their service is shit and bullshit.

Spukc

If you are happy to buy a single game multiple times that's your prerogative, I like to pay once and own the game for good.
Nintendo aren't even allowing you to do that with the SwItch. That does not earn them appreciation and gratitude. They know their service is shit and bullshit.
playing snes games online with other people ? legally?
you call that small ?

sol_bad

The only way to buy an SNES game once and own it forever is to buy the cartridge. All digital store have an expiration date.

That's an entirely other discussion that we have already had. Whether digital or physical, all games have an expiration date to buy brand new and give money to the developer/publisher.
If you bought the NES/SNES/MS/MD etc games on Wii and Wii U and downloaded them, they are yours for life. Nintendo could have easily let people still play them on Switch but they sat there and said "fuck our fans, we'll make them constantly pay money to access our back catalogue". And Nintendo fanatics reward them for doing so. Insane.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
damn that list is stone cold classics. F-Zero. Pilotwings. Super Mario World 1 & 2. Super Metroid. Super Mario Kart.
The only way to buy an SNES game once and own it forever is to buy the cartridge. All digital stores have an expiration date.
exactly. i bought many SNES games long ago when it came out. i gave them away since. in the meantime i've played through them on emulators so it's not like they are hard to find. do i mind paying for Super Metroid twice in 30 years? not at all, it's so damn good.

hey at least this isn't music, where we have changed formats from vinyl to tape to CD to streaming in the same time period. you know how many times i've bought the White Album? it's worth it, is the thing. these are some fucking great games.

Last edited:

This is me as well. I also own most of these games multiple times, but the convenience of just playing them in a streamlined fashion makes this offer a winner in my book. There have been multiple times I've turned on my Switch to play some Smash but got sidetracked with quick NES sessions. It really helps that most of these games are plug and play as shit.

I think the goal with the Switch Online is simple and Nintendo nailed it, just give people reasons to keep the console going for longer.

Demon's Crest being available at launch is a big fucking deal. One of the most overlooked and underrated platformers on the SNES. It's tied into the Ghosts And Goblins series.

lucius

So is this like Playstation Plus and Xbox Gold where once you sub and download the game you will always have access to the game if you are currently a subscriber or resubscribe later ?

So is this like Playstation Plus and Xbox Gold where once you sub and download the game you will always have access to the game if you are currently a subscriber or resubscribe later ?

If you have Switch Online you get access to both this app and the already established NES game app as well which have new games added to each app's library every month. Access goes away once your online membership is over. Doesn't matter when you jump into the online membership, you'll get access to all the games.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

The same games are always available for everyone regardless of when you first subscribed. So far they haven't removed any games, just add two or so NES games each month.

To me, having to subscribe to a service to play a game is as bad as a streaming service. Once that service is gone, your games are gone.
Throughout the life span of the Switch you'll pay hundreds of dollars. Then when they shut the service down there go your games.
Let me offer you a different perspective

Switch Online is $20 a year. That lets me play the entire uploaded catalog of NES and SNES games, which will continue to grow. Five full years of this would run you $100. A consoles average have a lifespan of 6-7 years, that's not going to cost anyone "Hundreds of dollars".

Compare that to the Wii days where I was shelling out $5 for NES, $8 for SNES, and $10 for N64. With that approach two or three games would cost more than an entire year of Switch Online. Games without Online play, save states, or the quick "rewind" functionality either.

As someone who shelled out over $200 on Wii VC games, only for the console to become so obsolete it's not even hooked up to my TV anymore....I see this service/catalog approach as a much better value. I'm not worried about Nintendo shutting down the Switch Online service (it provides constant revenue after all), however these old storefronts do get shut off. Wii's storefront is already long dead and when my 13 year old Wii hardware finally dies so will my $200+ catalog of games.

Last edited:
I betcha indie developers were super happy with this announcement.
skip1.png

Indie Dev: "I'm finally almost finished with my new Contra like game"

Nintendo: "Contra 3: Alien Wars now free on SNES online!!"

Indie Dev "fml"

Last edited:

sol_bad

As someone who shelled out over $200 on Wii VC games, only for the console to become so obsolete it's not even hooked up to my TV anymore....I see this service/catalog approach as a much better value. I'm not worried about Nintendo shutting down the Switch Online service (it provides constant revenue after all), however these old storefronts do get shut off. Wii's storefront is already long dead and when my 13 year old Wii hardware finally dies so will my $200+ catalog of games.

And this is exactly why Nintendo fans should have rallied against their online service and demand that they let you access the $200 worth of games that you paid for on Wii. The Wii digital store front was only shut down because they chose to do it. They could choose to add the games to the Switch online store but they choose not to do so because their fans are too stupid to keep eating their bull shit.

Also, to the person that mentioned Spotify and music and vinyl/CD formats.
RE streaming, with Spotify and Netflix, you still have a choice of buying the products physically/digitally to own and keep forever.

RE physical formats, obviously if something gets released on a new format you'll have to buy the new version if you love the product enough, chances are the new format means improved quality though. The Mega Man Collections were released on PS2 and released again on the new systems. I bought them on PS2 and I bought them again on Steam. Once things go digital though, there is absolutely no excuse to make consumers buy your product all over again. As an example, If Sony try and make me purchase my PS1 games on PS5 that I already bought on PS3, they can go and get fecked.

FMXVII

That ought to make you care MORE, not less.

I bought half of those games on my N3DS.

There is no chance in Hell that Nintendo is getting me to pay to play them a 3rd time (4th, if Super Metroid... Wii U).

Ninty needs to make digital purchases transferrable between their systems.

Especially the niche and failed ones.

Last edited:

Spukc

That ought to make you care MORE, not less.

I bought half of those games on my N3DS.

There is no chance in Hell that Nintendo is getting me to pay to play them a 3rd time (4th, if Super Metroid... Wii U).

Ninty needs to make digital purchases transferrable between their systems.

Especially the niche and failed ones.
Great go play it on your n3ds nintendo didn't disable it.
Heck the ps4 still can't freaking play my ps3/psp ps1 games

FMXVII

I'd rather play it on my current gen system.

I ought to be able to.

I paid for it, after all.

Ninty has a shite online system.

They need to remedy this.

EDIT:

The PS4 not being able to play my PS3 digital catalogue is why I held out until last Fall to get one... and I only got one - a Pro - due to the whole Epic Store bollocks with Borderlands 3.

Last edited:

sol_bad

So far, Sony aren't trying to charge it's customers again for those PS1 and PS3 games though.
If they do that on the PS5, then there is a problem.

Spukc

I'd rather play it on my current gen system.

I ought to be able to.

I paid for it, after all.

Yeah that is not how it works at all.
People rebuy media all the time.
If you don't want to play it on your old hardware.
Eh..

sol_bad

Yeah that is not how it works at all.
People rebuy media all the time.
If you don't want to play it on your old hardware.
Eh..

Could you imagine if Google said that with next years phone models they are releasing a new digital store and you wont be able to watch or listen to any of the movies or music you purchased over the last 5+ years? There would be a massive uproar.

Pallas

Gold Member
Aw man, I’ve been on the fence for a while with the switch(kind of holding out for that rumored pro version) but getting these SNES titles is fucking awesome. I’d like to see Lufia 1&2 added, a couple of hidden early childhood JRPG gems.

It would be great if they could add some unreleased JRPG’s in the west on it(yeah yeah probably won’t happen) like Treasure Hunter G and Rudora no Hihō.

-Arcadia-

Banned
This is pretty fantastic.

In the Wii days, sometimes I could end up dropping 15 bucks or so on that week’s releases. Now, for a few bucks, I can have access to the whole NES and SNES collection on the Switch, and with recreation controllers.

I mean, I miss N64 VC, and the dreams of GameCube VC, and I have questions about how much third parties will support this ‘Netflix, but permanent’ model, but there’s something right about this in a way there never was with the Wii VC.

I wouldn’t be dropping $8 to play Stunt Race FX, but as part of a collection? That’s an awesome little thing to try. I think this approach makes me more willing to try new things (and that’s great for discovering retro classics) or re-experience a game I’ve bought too many times to be comfortable with buying again.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Super Metroid!!!!

I never beat it. This is a perfect opportunity.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Remember how awesome the Virtual Console was?....... :lollipop_pensive:

the slow drip was god awful, but the VC was amazing on the wii. So many consoles and third party support. It was a great way to even get into Neogeo and TG16 back then.

I would prefer to buy and have account access to it for over a decade like I have with xbox or ps digital games, but Nintendo is in their own stupid world with online services.

Last edited:

FMXVII

Aw man, I’ve been on the fence for a while with the switch(kind of holding out for that rumored pro version) but getting these SNES titles is fucking awesome. I’d like to see Lufia 1&2 added, a couple of hidden early childhood JRPG gems.

It would be great if they could add some unreleased JRPG’s in the west on it(yeah yeah probably won’t happen) like Treasure Hunter G and Rudora no Hihō.

They won't.

This is the N3DS lineup of SNES games, rerereleased. Again.

GV82

I can imagine somewhere down the line Nintendo will offer the ability to purchase certain Retro games from NSO to own, but for now they use this as a value added thing to their online package in the way that psn & Xbox gold has offered games, where you only get to keep them as long as you are subscribed (Xbox does let you keep the 360/OG Games without Subs though)

It seems obvious that Nintendo weren’t going to add newer Switch games as part of the NSO package but depending on how many years the Switch lasts I could see it becoming a thing.

Once maybe the Switch is 4-5yrs Old they may start to offer say 2 games every month or two with the NSO off the top of my head let’s make this up - say Doom 2016 & Arms and then they can sell you the NES Games & SNES Games a la VC style, maybe they will start to remove some Retro games from NSO in order to add in actual Switch games.

Am I the only one thinking like this right now? I’m thinking long term Nintendo plans.

Too obviously?

Last edited:
Top Bottom