• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Games Headed to Nintendo Switch Online

Romulus

Very cool, I still surf through the SNES library on my xbox. Every week it seems I find a gem. Great console. Currently playing Demons Crest for the first time.

Starhowl

The controller is looking nice. I got a dongle, called Titan Two with which I can connect any controller on any console.

So I simply use the best, the Xbox One Elite controller, on Switch, PS4 or Xbox itself. Manufacturers want to sell people a multitude of controllers, for each console an extra Pro-version, which is a rip-off. There should be open controller standards, to which controllers and systems would be interoperable!

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
HOLY SHIT STUNT RACE FX!!!!!!! No emulator has emulated this game correctly. PLEASE Nintendo make this close to console perfect. It was one of my favorite games on snes. I even beat all the Nintendo power times with the unlockable motorcycle character just to prove how bad ass I was back in the day.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I’m so excited!!!!

Btw, what is the guess on drip feed now?

2 nes games and 1 snes game a month? Or will they just go down to 1 and 1 per month?

Last edited:

Bullet Club

szbtONa.png

Mmmm, the sexy version. None of that lilac bullshit.

jts

...hate me...
Super Soccer and Super Tennis are legit two of the games I played the most on my SNES as a kid. Endless hours with my dad...

I can't wait for this.

I would say that the SNES/NES minis were such a waste, but on the other hand they are still cool standalone collectables so no grudge here.

ExpandKong

Banned
Super Soccer and Super Tennis are legit two of the games I played the most on my SNES as a kid. Endless hours with my dad...

I can't wait for this.

I would say that the SNES/NES minis were such a waste, but on the other hand they are still cool standalone collectables so no grudge here.

Hacking potential also makes them pretty great.

JimiNutz

Banned
I don't really like the 2D Mario games that I've played (mainly NSMB games and the original SMB) but I've never played SMW or SMW2 so I'm excited to try those and see if I like them better.

radewagon

As a Sony fanboy, this is just... why are people excited about the prospect of using a games as service style subscription model in order to play games they have probably already purchased 3 times?

Sometimes us gamers are pathetically easy to manipulate.

Hooray for Nintendo's fat wallet!

Ulysses 31

As a Sony fanboy, this is just... why are people excited about the prospect of using a games as service style subscription model in order to play games they have probably already purchased 3 times?

Because it's still an improvement over the current/previous situation where you couldn't play any SNES games? So what alternative would've have rather seen Nintendo do? Not release free SNES games?

KàIRóS

Dude you would be throwing your money at Sony too if they suddenly announced 20 PS1 Classic games for free just for having Playstation Plus.

And if you say no then you're not a Sony fanboy.

Last edited:

DonF

Do I need to be online to play these? Have a long flight coming up and would love to knock over SMW.
Make sure you download and open the app while you are online. The switch checks your permission when you open the app for the first time. Then you are good to go for like 2 weeks or something

Orta

Banned
Disappointed Actraiser wasn't amongst the initial lineup.

Soon, hopefully.

Same goes for Mario All-Stars.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
This is how you buy games once and never lose them.

npYrc8f.jpg
This is the way to go and the way I also do it (including displaying the games in VHS boxes with inlays), however, I have noticed that there is a big issue with your collection: Yoshi's Island is missing!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
yeah buy old ass games on ebay from scalpers on a console that is a fire hazard

YAY

Shantae

Banned
This is how you buy games once and never lose them.

npYrc8f.jpg
Those are nice boxes...

For a lot of people, buying the original games is not always a matter of losing them. It's a matter of convenience. I kinda gave up on collecting retro games because at some point, hooking up 20 systems to a tv is just not reasonable if I ever get the urge to play them. If they're not hooked up, having the storage for them is another problem, because we don't all have the space for them. Even if I did want to go through the trouble of hooking up the original system and playing a game that way, it's so annoying because of all the different wires, and adapters I'd need to use to hook it up. It sucks, but things like this are kinda needed to keep the playability of these games alive for some of us.

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
The switch is becoming quite the portable retro game powerhouse. 48 games in the nes app, 20 snes games in app, mega man collections, contra collection, castlevania collection, some Sega and SNK games. Pretty impressive actually.

Where did my Wii SNES purchases go?

The same place my PS1 purchases for my PS3 went. Stuck on that system forever.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
You skipped Super Mario Bros. 3!?

I did play a little bit of that on an emulator years and years ago but I didn't make it very far in and don't remember much of it so I don't really count it.

If I enjoy SMW I'll go back to SMB3 as I've heard that's the best one. May as well save the best til last, right?

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
You can play these games online with or against friends, correct?

Yes. It will work exactly like the NES app. Every game whether single or multiplayer you can have a person from your friends list join.

If it’s like the NES app you can also use the right thumb stick to put a virtual hand pointer on the screen to point out things on screen or do my favorite thing, annoy your friend by blocking enemies so they die then press the stick in to clap at their demise. The best way to play single player games.

FMXVII

I did play a little bit of that on an emulator years and years ago but I didn't make it very far in and don't remember much of it so I don't really count it.

If I enjoy SMW I'll go back to SMB3 as I've heard that's the best one. May as well save the best til last, right?

Everyone always tells me this, but my favorite Mario games are still U.S. 2, and Yoshi's Island. WAAA!!!!, I know.

Zog

Banned
Those are nice boxes...

For a lot of people, buying the original games is not always a matter of losing them. It's a matter of convenience. I kinda gave up on collecting retro games because at some point, hooking up 20 systems to a tv is just not reasonable if I ever get the urge to play them. If they're not hooked up, having the storage for them is another problem, because we don't all have the space for them. Even if I did want to go through the trouble of hooking up the original system and playing a game that way, it's so annoying because of all the different wires, and adapters I'd need to use to hook it up. It sucks, but things like this are kinda needed to keep the playability of these games alive for some of us.
I got the cases from Gaming Relics (on ebay). I don't have an SNES connected right now but when I get the urge I usually hook up an HDMI clone system like the Super Retro Trio + or the Retron 5. I prefer the former but the Retron 5 has advantages like being able to apply patches at runtime. I'll be playing Breath of Fire again today but on the Switch. I just know that I have the real thing as long as I want to keep it.

Top Bottom