• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Games Headed to Nintendo Switch Online

The Shepard

So final fantasy 8 remaster, breakpoint beta, gears 5 and a boatload of snes games on the switch in the same week. Spoilt for choice this week!

I'm glad they added that rewind feature, I wished it was on the snes mini after playing the Sega mega drive collection.

Zog

Banned
The switch is becoming quite the portable retro game powerhouse. 48 games in the nes app, 20 snes games in app, mega man collections, contra collection, castlevania collection, some Sega and SNK games. Pretty impressive actually.

The same place my PS1 purchases for my PS3 went. Stuck on that system forever.
Well, also on the PSP and Vita.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So you'd rather pay $160 for these 20 games than $20 a year?

I mean, I agree that the ability to buy them is better than renting them, I'm just saying the Virtual Console was super overpriced and also if you have an exploitable Switch you can play all these games already anyway (so it's not exactly about preservation).

Why not both? Give those who don't want to pay for the sub a way to buy the games.

Reactions: TLZ

Saruhashi

Banned
As a Sony fanboy, this is just... why are people excited about the prospect of using a games as service style subscription model in order to play games they have probably already purchased 3 times?

Sometimes us gamers are pathetically easy to manipulate.

Hooray for Nintendo's fat wallet!

I guess it would be like if Sony brought out a new handheld and said "OK for 20 bucks per year we will give you access to all of the old classic games from PS1 and PS2". I'd be pretty keen on that.

As it stands I currently have no way of playing old NES and SNES games without hunting down the old consoles or going in for one of these "classic mini" consoles.

Even if I just wanted a quick shot of Ninja Gaiden, Donkey Kong or Double Dragon for the hell of it, I can't because I don't have access.

So I've got this portable device sitting here and they are saying "listen for 20 bucks a year we will give you access to F-Zero, Super Metroid, Mario World etc anywhere, any time". Sounds pretty decent to me.

You might as well be asking "why are people excited about a thing that doesn't excite me". I dunno, they just are.

Sometimes us gamers REALLY like to overthink things.

1 - I can afford 20 bucks a year, no problem (actually I just got 12 months free on Mario Maker 2 so I am good up to mid September 2020).
2 - I have a fondness for SNES and NES games from my childhood. Even if it's just a 10 minute burst I find them enjoyable.
3 - I do not have a SNES or NES handy nor could I be bothered to go looking for one plus games etc.
4 - I do have a device that is specifically made for gaming and I can play it on my TV at home or handheld wherever.

I don't see how that's being manipulated?
I am getting something that I want at a price I can very easily afford.
What's not to be excited about?

As I said, I think you are overthinking it.

StormCell

To me, having to subscribe to a service to play a game is as bad as a streaming service. Once that service is gone, your games are gone.
Throughout the life span of the Switch you'll pay hundreds of dollars. Then when they shut the service down there go your games.

With Nintendo, their service is worse than Sony/Microsoft because their console started off with online play out of the bag with no fee, then charged for it later. And mother fuckers ate it up like a fat kid in a candy store.

Guy, you're being really shitty in this thread, and most of your arguments are pretty easily refuted. I'll start with this one. I'm on an NSO family plan for $35/year. We split it 10 ways, so that's $3.50/year. I'll never spend hundreds for their online service, and that's why their service is possibly a better deal for me than my PS Plus subscription. If you're not doing the family plan for NSO, you're basically doing it wrong.

Now let's talk about all your other arguments that I've read so far in this thread. I understand what you expect from an online store, and it took me getting to one of Nintendo's horses to get it from a horse's mouth why our expectation will never be met. You and I see shitty theft from a big dumb corporate entity, but what the current managers and executives over Nintendo's online platform see is money not worth investing to bring across old purchases or to offer you the games you bought for re-download. Those costs are not trivial when you consider that the Wii U's online service was really poorly written--so badly written that they abandoned it and went to an older project and started again from there for NSO. You can also assume some sort of ETL to bridge the old account purchases (which were linked to the Wii console and then ported to Wii U via console transfer). How much money should one expect them to invest to save our old purchases?

Sure, what they did was badly implemented from the beginning. At best, they could have offered some way to move those purchases over, and at worst they could have provided us some means of proving our purchases and they could re-sell it to us again at a discount or something. I dunno. Not even PS4 let's me access the shit I already bought that should already work but doesn't because licenses and shit. Whatever.

Finally, this bring us to another interesting caveat. All the content Nintendo makes available via NSO has to be licensed to be on Switch. It's the main reason that Wii U VC practically sucked compared to Wii VC. So, it's not like all your past purchases could magically appear on Switch without license renewals. A lot of SNES third party content is already available for purchase via legacy collections and such. Those companies don't want to compete with the old Wii VC and would rather just sell you a collection versus doing another Nintendo VC thing.

Last point and check mate (for me): I totally hated the way Nintendo handled the the virtual console. I hate the f'ing drip feed of it. I hate that it took like 3 or 4 years for the DKC games to even arrive on Wii U. I hate for them to treat each new batch of VC games like it's some sort of major release, and to then slap a price tag on it is just lame. As someone who makes daily use of his NSO subscription to play online, I'm glad that the drip feed is now just something I automatically get access to, like a gift. And I like that all of the games are just there for whenever I want to play. No extra charge.

I prefer this to the extra long wait, because at least third parties can go ahead and make their games available and Nintendo has a lot less back log to drip feed us with. With any luck/hope, they'll run thin on the drip feed by this time next year, and we'll get GBA or N64.

StormCell

Some of you lads would have freaked the fuck out in the days when the only way to play games was to go to the arcades. :)

Some of my fondest memories were sitting in Godfather's pizza in the arcade room chomping on pizza. My parents would hand me crisp $5 bills to go get change. I can still hear the sound of the quarters and smell the pizza. And I'll never forget watching a rando battle Krang in the Technodrome and actually beat the TMNT arcade game.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Some of you lads would have freaked the fuck out in the days when the only way to play games was to go to the arcades. :)
otm. one day my mom gave me a $20 bill and dropped me off at the arcade and I almost beat TMNT: Turtles in Time. the money lasted maybe 2 hours.

$1.66 a month. i can collect that in one week's pocket change. gets me NES + SNES + Tetris 99 + infinite SMM2 levels + other goodies like Mario Tennis freeplay trial. really a no brainer. Nintendo is charging per year what PSNow charges per month.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Some of my fondest memories were sitting in Godfather's pizza in the arcade room chomping on pizza. My parents would hand me crisp $5 bills to go get change. I can still hear the sound of the quarters and smell the pizza. And I'll never forget watching a rando battle Krang in the Technodrome and actually beat the TMNT arcade game.

Haaaaaaaaaa! I love it!

Man, I loved that TMNT game. Even just the cabinet with the 4 different colour joysticks and buttons was awesome. Loved WWF Wrestlefest too.
Actually, a good cabinet did go a long way.

Now, I couldn't even tell you if those games were actually any good but for sure I loved them growing up.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
The one important part of the nes switch app that also makes me excited for snes games app is how incredibly snappy getting into and out of games was. That was a big deal to me as games would just instant load and smoothly exit to the menu with just an L+R, up, A press. Put my raspberry pi and modded Xbox to shame to be honest.

Not a big deal, but. Was great for trying out the the 1 garbage game or “SP” version we got each month and quickly exit in disgust to play double dragon 2 instead.

sol_bad

Guy, you're being really shitty in this thread, and most of your arguments are pretty easily refuted. I'll start with this one. I'm on an NSO family plan for $35/year. We split it 10 ways, so that's $3.50/year. I'll never spend hundreds for their online service, and that's why their service is possibly a better deal for me than my PS Plus subscription. If you're not doing the family plan for NSO, you're basically doing it wrong.

Now let's talk about all your other arguments that I've read so far in this thread. I understand what you expect from an online store, and it took me getting to one of Nintendo's horses to get it from a horse's mouth why our expectation will never be met. You and I see shitty theft from a big dumb corporate entity, but what the current managers and executives over Nintendo's online platform see is money not worth investing to bring across old purchases or to offer you the games you bought for re-download. Those costs are not trivial when you consider that the Wii U's online service was really poorly written--so badly written that they abandoned it and went to an older project and started again from there for NSO. You can also assume some sort of ETL to bridge the old account purchases (which were linked to the Wii console and then ported to Wii U via console transfer). How much money should one expect them to invest to save our old purchases?

Sure, what they did was badly implemented from the beginning. At best, they could have offered some way to move those purchases over, and at worst they could have provided us some means of proving our purchases and they could re-sell it to us again at a discount or something. I dunno. Not even PS4 let's me access the shit I already bought that should already work but doesn't because licenses and shit. Whatever.

Finally, this bring us to another interesting caveat. All the content Nintendo makes available via NSO has to be licensed to be on Switch. It's the main reason that Wii U VC practically sucked compared to Wii VC. So, it's not like all your past purchases could magically appear on Switch without license renewals. A lot of SNES third party content is already available for purchase via legacy collections and such. Those companies don't want to compete with the old Wii VC and would rather just sell you a collection versus doing another Nintendo VC thing.

Last point and check mate (for me): I totally hated the way Nintendo handled the the virtual console. I hate the f'ing drip feed of it. I hate that it took like 3 or 4 years for the DKC games to even arrive on Wii U. I hate for them to treat each new batch of VC games like it's some sort of major release, and to then slap a price tag on it is just lame. As someone who makes daily use of his NSO subscription to play online, I'm glad that the drip feed is now just something I automatically get access to, like a gift. And I like that all of the games are just there for whenever I want to play. No extra charge.

I prefer this to the extra long wait, because at least third parties can go ahead and make their games available and Nintendo has a lot less back log to drip feed us with. With any luck/hope, they'll run thin on the drip feed by this time next year, and we'll get GBA or N64.

Nah son, choice is king.
Not everyone wants to be raped in the arse monthly for a pointless service, some of us like to own what we play.
I don't own a Switch though so I'm not affected, I'll stick to my SNES mini and emulation for now.
;)

FMXVII

Is the SNES controller really better than a Switch Pro Controller at this point in time? :goog_unsure: :goog_unsure: :goog_unsure:

I would say "no".

The O.G. SNES controllers had shite d-pads, that had you wishing they were 2-3 older, so that the typical wear and tear of breaking them in would make them properly responsive.

The Switch Pro has a better d-pad. And it has everything else.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I am seven and a half hours away from playing STUNT RACE FX ON A HANDHELD

The 14yo me waiting for FX Trax would faint if he knew

fx-trax-02.jpg
fx-trax-03.jpg

zenspider

Do I need to be online to play these? Have a long flight coming up and would love to knock over SMW.

No. There's some check for the last time you'd been online and subscribed - I don't remember the exact window of time, but just fire up the SNES Online before you leave for your wifi and you should be good.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
We live in an age of physical re-releases, remasters, and compilation packs.

But Nintendo will never offer that again. Their old catalogue is merely used to push their online service, that's it. Bummer. I don't mind people who wish to spend money on this subscription. I don't have a strong enough of an opinion to call it a "good deal" or a "ripoff". My issue, however, is this program ensures Nintendo won't give these games their due. It'll be digital or nothing.

Smasher89

So 1 year of switch online offers, and all it had was 2 controllers only compatible with the switch online app, and a minor discount with the vouchers, and then they prob made a billion on this...

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
idgi? it is $20. that is cheap as fuck. you can spend that going to one movie with a friend.

feel kinda bad for people who bought everything on Wii U or Wii but i don't know what to say, VC was started in 2006, that is 13 years ago. yall were early adopters. kind of unrealistic to have a service last continuous on for more than a decade. it would be like wanting the N64 to play all NES games. don't get me wrong, that would be dope, but expecting them to do so would be a fool's game.

ROMhack

Wasn't initially interested but some of these are brilliant games to zone out to an audiobook. Colour me interested.

feel kinda bad for people who bought everything on Wii U or Wii but i don't know what to say, VC was started in 2006, that is 13 years ago. yall were early adopters. kind of unrealistic to have a service last continuous on for more than a decade. it would be like wanting the N64 to play all NES games. don't get me wrong, that would be dope, but expecting them to do so would be a fool's game.

If you bought these games on Wii or Wii U then the preservation argument holds no ground, you have those games forever as long as the hardware holds. I wouldn't mind to see Nintendo giving people a choice here to buy them individually, but considering how many options we have to play and own these games I just don't mind it that badly. I really enjoy the convenience this service provides. I have a SNES Classic hooked up to my television with every single SNES game I could possibly want, so having this option on the Switch is just a really nice bonus.

Like I said, if their idea is to give people reasons to game for longer on their device, they're doing a fantastic job with the library and this service.

Zog

Banned
idgi? it is $20. that is cheap as fuck. you can spend that going to one movie with a friend.

There is nothing stopping people from playing their VC games on the Wii and Wii U, I still do it.

Last edited:

KàIRóS

Some people here are really eager to play the oldies lol, I'm actually only interested in Breath of Fire and maybe Demon's Crest, I never got to beat that sucker as a kid.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I’m pretty sure Nintendo generally does updates at 3-5 PST. This is their normal timeframe every launch day it seems for games that I have wanted in the past that aren’t preloads

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If you bought these games on Wii or Wii U then the preservation argument holds no ground, you have those games forever as long as the hardware holds. I wouldn't mind to see Nintendo giving people a choice here to buy them individually, but considering how many options we have to play and own these games I just don't mind it that badly. I really enjoy the convenience this service provides. I have a SNES Classic hooked up to my television with every single SNES game I could possibly want, so having this option on the Switch is just a really nice bonus.

Like I said, if their idea is to give people reasons to game for longer on their device, they're doing a fantastic job with the library and this service.
Personally I would have liked to see Nintendo go the extra mile with their NES and SNES offerings, considering they're locked to their online service: give the old games some sort of achievement system. Ideally a system-wide achievement system similar to Xbox or Playstation, but barring that at least some sort of in-app (NES Online or SNES Online app, that is) menu. I've re-enjoyed tons of classics over the past few years since I found out about Retro Achievements. If a bunch of hobbyist hackers can put something like that together for little or no cash, I assume Nintendo could at least do something similar.

For example, here is their achievements for Breath of Fire. A pretty decent mix of story-related achievements as well as stuff for missables and ultimate equipment etc for completionists.

As it is, running Retroarch on my Switch has more advantages than subscribing to Nintendo's service.

stranno

I am seven and a half hours away from playing STUNT RACE FX ON A HANDHELD

The 14yo me waiting for FX Trax would faint if he knew
Powerslide FX is also worth mentioning.

It was cancelled but the ECTS demo was leaked like 10 years ago. It looks weird in that video but it worked fine back in the day in bsnes. It had far better framerate than Stunt Race FX and better handling. But it didnt have rivals or AI so..

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
little over and hour to go.

i'm almost stumped for what to play first. i really want to dive into ALTTP and at least do a few dungeons. then again SMW would be great. then again i need to play Breath of Fire, which I never have. then again Super Metroid. ah!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

i'm almost stumped for what to play first. i really want to dive into ALTTP and at least do a few dungeons. then again SMW would be great. then again i need to play Breath of Fire, which I never have. then again Super Metroid. ah!
It doesn't take long to beat SMW. If you're taking suggestions, complete that one and then move on to something else. At least do the early janitor work like unlocking the first few switch palaces.

El Sabroso

Personally I would have liked to see Nintendo go the extra mile with their NES and SNES offerings, considering they're locked to their online service: give the old games some sort of achievement system. Ideally a system-wide achievement system similar to Xbox or Playstation, but barring that at least some sort of in-app (NES Online or SNES Online app, that is) menu. I've re-enjoyed tons of classics over the past few years since I found out about Retro Achievements. If a bunch of hobbyist hackers can put something like that together for little or no cash, I assume Nintendo could at least do something similar.

For example, here is their achievements for Breath of Fire. A pretty decent mix of story-related achievements as well as stuff for missables and ultimate equipment etc for completionists.

As it is, running Retroarch on my Switch has more advantages than subscribing to Nintendo's service.
I dunno, I like more what they are doing already of giving special versions with some teaks giving more items or another challenge of the same game, and that type of hack over the ROM they do already open the possibilities of an official randomizer for any of those games, that would add much more than just achievements imo. Still something that can be added along with this idea tho.

jts

...hate me...
I have a feeling the controllers will be a real bitch to get ahold of for a while, until demand tapers off. I won’t hesitate when I see them up for ordering. Want a couple. Now hurry up Nintendo!

Ceadeus

Well i'm cool with it. Poeple have to know that online services ain't there forever!

I'm still pissed about miiverse though.

Ceadeus

It's a cool day right ^^ I even bought torchlight 2 this morning. So awesome.

TLZ

Banned

Jumping in Breath of Fire head first.

Top Bottom