• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Games Headed to Nintendo Switch Online

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Jumping in Breath of Fire head first.
Kinda jealous of anyone who might be playing this game for the first time.

mcjmetroid

I may have to wait till tomorrow but I can see myself Starting Breath of Fire as well. Never played this.

Hopefully more RPGs to follow as well but they can take their time with those.

Also cannot wait to kick some online multiplayer ass in Super Mario Kart.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
FUCKING HELL NINTENDO 1 YEAR OF NSO AND STILL NO BLACK BORDER OPTION?
GTFO

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

oagboghi2

As a Sony fanboy, this is just... why are people excited about the prospect of using a games as service style subscription model in order to play games they have probably already purchased 3 times?

Sometimes us gamers are pathetically easy to manipulate.

Hooray for Nintendo's fat wallet!
Maybe some of us haven’t purchased these games 3 times already. Just a thought 🙄

radewagon

I guess it would be like if Sony brought out a new handheld and said "OK for 20 bucks per year we will give you access to all of the old classic games from PS1 and PS2". I'd be pretty keen on that.

What if they released a new handheld (the PSVita) and said that most of your previous digital purchases from their first handheld (the PSP) would transfer seamlessly to your new one? Then they also said that your old PSone digital purchases from their console (the PS3) would also transfer over free of charge. What if they did more than that and said that certain PSvita purchases would entitle you to free copies of those games for their even newer console (the PS4) and that that would be a two way street; meaning you could buy PS4 versions of games as well and be entitled to Vita versions of said titles for zero cost? Wouldn't that be just the bees knees?

Now, I'm not saying Sony is perfect. The almost total lack of previous gen support on the PS4 has been pretty horrible and the fact that they let the Vita die was even worse. That said, though, all that stuff I just mentioned was legit something Sony did. Their decision to make previous purchases of games count towards redemption on future handhelds/consoles was really the way things should be. Better still, their cross-buy program was absolutely amazing and I really hope they return to more consumer friendly policies in the next gen.

Conversely, you have Nintendo, where a glorified ROM must be re-purchased (or rented) multiple times if one wishes to play it on the 3DS, Wii, WiiU, and the Switch. I'm not overthinking things. When it comes to honoring the legitimacy of past digital purchases Nintendo is a straight up joke.

oagboghi2

Nah son, choice is king.
Not everyone wants to be raped in the arse monthly for a pointless service, some of us like to own what we play.
I don't own a Switch though so I'm not affected, I'll stick to my SNES mini and emulation for now.
;)
20 dollars is rape to you?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Just got the first pendant in ALTTP. The emulation is great! Music sounds wonderful and is in stereo. These play better than any emulators I’ve used. Love it

GV82

Ahh it’s like having a SNES Portable that I always dreamed of that’s not 3rd party & with a Bigger screen than the DSXL new editions.

gq23vsF.jpg

This is my Left Joycon from Hori I’m Using too, so it’s just great in handheld now.

Last edited:

sol_bad

20 dollars is rape to you?

You don't own the games so when Nintendo release their new console and shut down their old online service to start their new online service, say good bye to your games.
X360 came out in 2005, PS3 and Wii in 2006, only 1 of those services have been shut down. You can still buy games on PS3 and X360.
Nintendo have done absolutely nothing to convince me that their next consoles online service will be the same as Switch's.

So yes, paying $20 a year or whatever it costs is taking it in the arse right now.

*EDIT*
And besides that, they already had online play on Switch when the console released. You are giving them money for something they can provide for free.
eh

Last edited:

DrNeroCF

I wonder if this is based on the mini's great emulator... Zero extra latency in Super Mario World (the Wii U version was unplayable).

Can finally hide the controls, but that hasn't been changed in the NES app, bah (need to map B and A to Y and B there though).

Why is the border not hideable??? Why does Nintendo think people want that constantly???

Need that controller so bad though... Looks like you need an update to use the controller? Hope it still works with over bluetooth on computers (and over USB?). I'm still mad I can't use my SNES Mini controllers over wii remotes on the Switch, but I guess this is second best.

JSoup

Banned
Downloading now, but I'm not sure why.
If I want to play any of this, I might as well do it via RetroArch so I can farm for RetroAchievements.
My Switch is such a useless brick.

Chiggs

Why are people praising this? Please don't praise this.
Nintendo had a great thing going with the Wii and Wii U where you could actually purchase the games to own.
Paying a monthly fee to access these games is not praise worthy. They are doing this just to add "value" to their service.
Gross.

Yup. This is complete garbage. But expectations have dropped with millennials and Gen Z, so this is what we get.

JSoup

Banned
Yup. This is complete garbage. But expectations have dropped with millennials and Gen Z, so this is what we get.

I see it another way. Nintendo games tend to start expensive and stay expensive, so the average person is probably going to have a pretty limited library. Suddenly having access to a pile of old games on a cobbled together emulator isn't great, but itssomething.jpeg.

sol_bad

I see it another way. Nintendo games tend to start expensive and stay expensive, so the average person is probably going to have a pretty limited library. Suddenly having access to a pile of old games on a cobbled together emulator isn't great, but itssomething.jpeg.

Sell them direct as well as putting them on their service.

So people are buying a 300$ console + 50$ for a pad, that's 350$ with no game at all and make all that noise since 5, 8 or 10$ for oldies - on a hardware where there is so called tax for lots of 3rd parties games due to cartridge size - would be too much to ask for... yeah baby, give some popcorns.

This thread is already glorious. Let's rock and roll.

🤣🤭😂

Last edited:

John Day

My nephews weren’t old enough for virtual console, they have switches and play among themselves and friends at school, haven’t played these games. It’s an OK deal in my eyes.

If you don’t see value on it, that’s all right really, i get it. But no meed to be assholes to whomever finds this as good news.

Just you be you. Let them be them.

Ahh it’s like having a SNES Portable that I always dreamed of that’s not 3rd party & with a Bigger screen than the DSXL new editions.

gq23vsF.jpg

This is my Left Joycon from Hori I’m Using too, so it’s just great in handheld now.

Was not aware these were available, thank you kind sir!

#Phonepunk#

Banned
aw man this is NIIIICE. i am in seventh heaven rn. Mario Maker 2 got me in a mood nostalgic for SMW and just playing it again and hearing that music. feels all over w this great lineup of games. emulation is really top notch here. the presentation is great (borders aside). feel like the border is there with the portable screen in mind.

gonna play through SGNG for sure. i used to be able to make it through that game without cheats. i wont mind using the rewind and save states ;-) played a bit of Pilotwings and F-Zero which is such a dope ass game. probably the fastest racing game I have ever seen. the sense of speed from that weird mode 7 effect is uncanny. i have a projector so I play my Switch projected on the wall sometimes, and F-Zero looks & sounds like a dream.

KàIRóS

I'm about halfway through Demon's Crest, how strange I remember this game to be much harder, I've only had to use the rewind feature in 1 boss.

I guess I'll just go on and finish it, the next one I'll play will be Breath of Fire.

oagboghi2

You don't own the games so when Nintendo release their new console and shut down their old online service to start their new online service, say good bye to your games.
X360 came out in 2005, PS3 and Wii in 2006, only 1 of those services have been shut down. You can still buy games on PS3 and X360.
Nintendo have done absolutely nothing to convince me that their next consoles online service will be the same as Switch's.

So yes, paying $20 a year or whatever it costs is taking it in the arse right now.

*EDIT*
And besides that, they already had online play on Switch when the console released. You are giving them money for something they can provide for free.
eh
I’ll remember this the next time I see you praising a marvel show on Disney+

“But you don’t own it” so what? You’re renting these upgraded games for like 50 cents. If you want to own a copy, than I don’t know, go out and buy it?

checkcola

I just found out that you can turn off the bottom controller text for both the NES and SNES services. Thank the Lord. That stuff was soooo annoying.

sol_bad

I’ll remember this the next time I see you praising a marvel show on Disney+

“But you don’t own it” so what? You’re renting these upgraded games for like 50 cents. If you want to own a copy, than I don’t know, go out and buy it?

You can't go out and buy it, that's the problem. I don't want to buy second hand old SNES games. I don't own a SNES and I don't want to buy one so that it takes up space.

RE Disney+ / Netflix/ HBO / Spotify, that's a discussion for another thread.
Although, if Nintendo had an equal type of service I would be fine with that. A monthly subscription fee with access to NES, SNES. N64, GC and curated current Switch games. I'd be fine with that as long as the service launched with a large portion of the NES, SNES, N64 and GC libraries on the service. A similar service to PSNow and Gamepass. That is a different type of service to what they currently have, right now you are paying for online play with a sprinkling of NES and SNES games added per month.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
SGNG is so much fun to go back to! This game is tough but I played it over and over so I remember all the jumps and enemy placements. The laser knife with the green suit of armor is the best. You really go through quite a journey in this game! Also the art is spectacular throughout.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yeah if i can't remove the fucking borders there is no point in keeping this on my switch. Well i guess my year of NSO is done soon 🤣

Quasicat

No option to pre-purchase? That's what I got on Nintendo AU and purchased it. It also says shipments will begin late Sep.
Nope, just says coming soon with a picture and a description. Patience is a virtue, or so I’m told.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Best thing so far is that both the snes and nes apps now can hide the controls. (The nes app updated today also)

Impressions - the emulation is pretty great. I played a lot of games tonight and was surprised with how accurate it was. I know somebody refuted me earlier on stunt race fx being perfect on bands, but the switch runs this like a dream on my tv. Already got perfect first place runs through the first 2 circuits to unlock the master levels.

Getting in and out of games is just as godly as the nes app. It really is slick how quick it is compared to PC and modded console emus plus the GUI is awesome after you put you games where you want on the menu.

My biggest gripe right now is good multiplayer games. Mario kart is ok, but the need for a super bomberman 2 or some kind of street fighter is very apparent. I played with a friend online (which worked excellent by the way) but we got bored after an hour and moved to Mario kart 8 deluxe.

Hopefully they come drip fed soon.

Not sure if I’m going to spend the money on the snes controller as the pro controller works perfect but nice to know bits out there. Overall happy. Makes the switch online more worth it

Last edited:

alf717

Love the SNES selection but was wondering is it normal to lose a day when you renew early? I went from Sept. 16 of this year to Sept 15 in 2020. I feel like I'm missing something. Leap year maybe?

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Love the SNES selection but was wondering is it normal to lose a day when you renew early? I went from Sept. 16 of this year to Sept 15 in 2020. I feel like I'm missing something. Leap year maybe?
Will that one day matter that much? :messenger_beaming:

That's like 5 cents :messenger_grinning_sweat:

MagnesG

Banned
I think you count it wrong. Sep 15 be should the last day you could use NSO. If you resubscribe it should start on Sep 16 2020 as usual.

Last edited:

alf717

Will that one day matter that much? :messenger_beaming:

That's like 5 cents :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Yea that sounds greedy so I'll just drop it :messenger_beaming:

I think you count it wrong. Sep 15 be should the last day you could use NSO. If you resubscribe it should start on Sep 16 2020 as usual.

Ok now that does makes sense. I just wonder this cause a phone I own does the same thing. I could never wrap my head around why it was like this.

I get to play Demon's Crest for the first time so I think that will be pretty cool to play. It's one of those expensive SNES games. I love that mode7 effect when flying around the map. Reminds me a lot of Secret of Mana.

GV82

Was not aware these were available, thank you kind sir!

No problem, cheap enough about 20-25 or less in sales beware it only works in handheld mode attached to the console though, no motion controls built in, non rechargable. But does the job in handheld, d-pad is nice but for TV play then I can use a proper gamepad or Joycons.

Top Bottom