• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Games Headed to Nintendo Switch Online

Chittagong

Gold Member
Fuck, now I remember what I hated about the Switch NES emulator. It’s all that junk around the game screen. Background texture, bright white perma text on the bottom, player icon... All that should be able to be hidden

Weilthain

Banned
Just checked now, from the setting on game selection screen can turn of show controls in game.

Can’t get rid of the profile icon or checkered grey border that I can see.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just checked now, from the setting on game selection screen can turn of show controls in game.
Can’t get rid of the profile icon or checkered grey border that I can see.

Oh my god that is so much better, thank you. I seem to be able to almost ignore the icon and background, but that white text in the middle was so distracting. Now I can finally get into this properly.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Nah son, choice is king.
Not everyone wants to be raped in the arse monthly for a pointless service, some of us like to own what we play.
I don't own a Switch though so I'm not affected, I'll stick to my SNES mini and emulation for now.
;)

I can play all my old SNES games on my SNES hardware on a CRT in my home, or I can choose to split a family plan with a brother and a friend and get them on my Switch and play anywhere, like where I am now on business travel...

I’m so raped by these choices I’ve made.

Saruhashi

Banned
Conversely, you have Nintendo, where a glorified ROM must be re-purchased (or rented) multiple times if one wishes to play it on the 3DS, Wii, WiiU, and the Switch. I'm not overthinking things. When it comes to honoring the legitimacy of past digital purchases Nintendo is a straight up joke.

You absolutely are overthinking things.
It's a simple situation.

You opened with: "why are people excited about the prospect of using a games as service style subscription model in order to play games they have probably already purchased 3 times?"
And followed that with: "Sometimes us gamers are pathetically easy to manipulate."

I explained it to you in straight-forward terms.

Nintendo are offering something I want at a price I am willing to pay.
I was looking forward to playing those games on my Switch.
That's it.

There's no deeper meaning there. I don't own a NES or SNES or those mini consoles. My Wii U is long ago packed away.
My Switch is handy every day and sometimes I like to play those old games.

There's no manipulation here at all. If it was too expensive, I wouldn't pay. If I had no interest in the games, I wouldn't pay

It's hilarious watching people try to dissect and analyse all of this like it's some big deep conversation.
Obviously I'd prefer if it was free but I'm not going to lose any sleep over 20 bucks a year (which also includes the cloud saves and online play that I also use).

Animagic

Banned
I’ve been playing games for a long time and somehow never played Kirby’s Dream Course until now.

Man it’s really great.

Since I really don’t like Kirby games, I guess I never bothered to look at it before.

TLZ

Banned
Unpopular opinion: The original Breath of Fire holds up better than its much lauded sequel. It's still a really old game though, in many respects, so be ready for that. Enjoy!
Oh I'm already knee deep. Or I think I am.

I'm now the princess with wings who's trying to find a cure to save her father (I think I got the mission right)

Paltheos

Oh I'm already knee deep. Or I think I am.

I'm now the princess with wings who's trying to find a cure to save her father (I think I got the mission right)

And you have two guards with her, right? IIRC, the boss to that stage is a sharp spike from the pansies you've been dispatching as Ryu. Godspeed :3

Zog

Banned
So far, Sony aren't trying to charge it's customers again for those PS1 and PS3 games though.
If they do that on the PS5, then there is a problem.

To play PS3 games on PS4 you have to subscribe to PS Now. The only PS1 games available are as remasters and they aren't free.

Shifty1897

Started up Breath of Fire this morning for the first time. Seems okay. Going to try to stick with it and then move on to my greatest shame: Never beating A Link To The Past.

Zog

Banned
Unpopular opinion: The original Breath of Fire holds up better than its much lauded sequel. It's still a really old game though, in many respects, so be ready for that. Enjoy!

I have always preferred the original to the sequel. It had better dragon transformations, it allowed button mapping, I liked hunting better in the first game & I like the fusions in the first game more than the second game.

StormCell

What if they released a new handheld (the PSVita) and said that most of your previous digital purchases from their first handheld (the PSP) would transfer seamlessly to your new one? Then they also said that your old PSone digital purchases from their console (the PS3) would also transfer over free of charge. What if they did more than that and said that certain PSvita purchases would entitle you to free copies of those games for their even newer console (the PS4) and that that would be a two way street; meaning you could buy PS4 versions of games as well and be entitled to Vita versions of said titles for zero cost? Wouldn't that be just the bees knees?

Now, I'm not saying Sony is perfect. The almost total lack of previous gen support on the PS4 has been pretty horrible and the fact that they let the Vita die was even worse. That said, though, all that stuff I just mentioned was legit something Sony did. Their decision to make previous purchases of games count towards redemption on future handhelds/consoles was really the way things should be. Better still, their cross-buy program was absolutely amazing and I really hope they return to more consumer friendly policies in the next gen.

Conversely, you have Nintendo, where a glorified ROM must be re-purchased (or rented) multiple times if one wishes to play it on the 3DS, Wii, WiiU, and the Switch. I'm not overthinking things. When it comes to honoring the legitimacy of past digital purchases Nintendo is a straight up joke.

You're not wrong here. I just think that you're overlooking something obvious. You can have access to all these old games for as little as $3.50/year (or possibly even less, I forget). I actually spent more money for Super Mario World on Virtual Console than I've paid for all these games over the past year.

Has anyone heard anything about the release schedule for future NES and SNES games? Saw on Kotaku that Nintendo was moving away from a monthly release of new games being added and didn't say anything more about when/how future games would be added.

MagnesG

Banned
Has anyone heard anything about the release schedule for future NES and SNES games? Saw on Kotaku that Nintendo was moving away from a monthly release of new games being added and didn't say anything more about when/how future games would be added.
Nothing to report.

Nintendo has not said anything about moving company away from monthly release though. They just said they will add new games in the future (ofc).

MagnesG

Banned

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i mean, they did just move away from that schedule. instead of getting 2 new NES games this month we got 20 SNES games. so there's one case where that move was a good thing.

people have datamined the SNES app and found Mystical Ninja, Breath of Fire 2, Star Fox 2, lots of other games. i think we have some good stuff coming.

people wanting the Netflix of Gaming probably need to give up, that will never happen. it's similar to the streaming wars, how companies are pulling the big names for their own services. Konami's got their Castlevania Collection to sell now, don't see those games showing up in NSO. however there will still be a lot of good stuff, and it's all free. i don't see PS4 giving out 40+ old Playstation games for free.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

I wonder how comprehensive the catalogue will be, would it be on the virtual console levels? Would they bring Japanese Exclusives for the SNES, or titles that were potentially unreleased in Europe, to the Switch? ie Front Mission Series: Gun Hazard?

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Is anyone elses Puyo puyo in Japanese completely?
Just weird to see it there boxart and all with the rest of the western ones?

Reactions: TLZ

Vawn

Banned
I really hope we end up getting more third-party stuff, especially Squaresoft RPGs.

Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Trials of Mana
Secret of Evermore
Super Mario RPG

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Here’s the datamined list from January this year. The ones not released in the first wave bolded.

• Super Mario Kart
  • Super Soccer
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Demon’s Crest
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island
  • Stunt Race FX
  • Kirby’s Dream Course
  • Pop’n Twinbee
  • Star Fox
  • Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Super Ghouls ‘n Ghosts