• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Games Headed to Nintendo Switch Online

Ulysses 31

Here’s the datamined list from January this year. The ones not released in the first wave bolded.

• Super Mario Kart
  • Super Soccer
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Demon’s Crest
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island
  • Stunt Race FX
  • Kirby’s Dream Course
  • Pop’n Twinbee
  • Star Fox
  • Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Super Ghouls ‘n Ghosts
  • Kirby’s Dream Land 3
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Mario World
  • Pilotwings
  • F-ZERO
  • Star Fox 2
  • Super Punch-Out
  • The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Breath of Fire II
Super Ghouls'n Ghost is included in EU land.

Davey Cakes

I'm going to get some flack for this but...I don't see the appeal of Stunt Race FX. It just doesn't feel great to play, and I think it's even less bearable than Star Fox.

Of course, I'm a bit of a radical. I find Mario Kart 64 almost unplayable in the age of MK8.

I really hope we end up getting more third-party stuff, especially Squaresoft RPGs.

Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Trials of Mana
Secret of Evermore
Super Mario RPG

I'll take these titles and raise you the following (that aren't SquareSoft, admittedly):

ActRaiser
ActRaiser II: Electric Boogaloo
Soul Blazer
Illusion of Gaia (this *IS* a SquareSoft game I think, right?)

Also, I want to see the SNES version of SimCity that they launched the system with in the US. I dunno why, I know it's an inferior version. I just remember having fun playing it.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
My 8bitdo SNES gamepad showed up and it is heavenly! The d pad is really great, nice and sturdy, yet doesn’t hurt your thumb when you are really hard on it. Buttons are nice and chunky. Not noticing any lag either. I highly recommend it!

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
really enjoying ALTTP today. the first part of this game has great pacing. right away you run to Hyrule Castle on a sort of stealth mission to go save Zelda, right away. then you go find the town (Kakariko Village, the only village in the game) and explore the world, gaining inventory, etc. then the first three dungeons. that first dungeon is so great, and placed on the far edge of the world, forcing the player to traverse a lot of the open world map. this aids in discovering items/hearts/stuff and the overall RPG feel.

getting the master sword itself is great, i love the foggy forest effects, and the reward of that arcing blast is so cool, such a massive upgrade from the TLOZ variation, you really feel like you are getting stronger. then you go fight Aghanim. i love the subversion of the first fight with the evil cult leader. it is a pretty cool boss fight and then the screen goes haywire and trippy and you find yourself standing on top of a golden pyramid... and you are a bunny rabbit... lol... it's so crazy. legendary game is a true classic.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Why are people praising this? Please don't praise this.
Nintendo had a great thing going with the Wii and Wii U where you could actually purchase the games to own.
Paying a monthly fee to access these games is not praise worthy. They are doing this just to add "value" to their service.
Gross.

I have no idea why are we praising something that a couple dudes spent some nights at home and made work on the switch a fucking age ago with every title possible over a massive corporation taking this long and throwing us some crumbs.

Here's a rental service years down the track, fuck you and any game you've bought previously digitally with us even though its the same rom file. Seriously. How Nintendo never gets slaughtered online...

Last edited:

Mozza

I have no idea why are we praising something that a couple dudes spent some nights at home and made work on the switch a fucking age ago with every title possible over a massive corporation taking this long and throwing us some crumbs.

Here's a rental service years down the track, fuck you and any game you've bought previously digitally with us even though its the same rom file. Seriously. How Nintendo never gets slaughtered online...

I have owned most of these games from the NES and SNES on both the Wii and Wii U's virtual console services,and to be honest was not all that keen to pay and own them all again,the online rental service is a much better idea imho,and all these games for only $1.66 per month seems a pretty sweet deal to me.

Zog

Banned
I have owned most of these games from the NES and SNES on both the Wii and Wii U's virtual console services,and to be honest was not all that keen to pay and own them all again,the online rental service is a much better idea imho,and all these games for only $1.66 per month seems a pretty sweet deal to me.

Well, people are arguing that they shouldn't have to pay anything to play VC games they already bought. A rental service is only a better idea if you remove that option from the table.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
look i bought all these games in the 90s and it would rule if Nintendo gave them to me free on every system for the rest of time but that just isn't going to happen. One can either accept that or throw a pointless tantrum over it.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
look i bought all these games in the 90s and it would rule if Nintendo gave them to me free on every system for the rest of time but that just isn't going to happen. One can either accept that or throw a pointless tantrum over it.
People have bought digital versions though, more than once and it's not unreasonable to ask that Nintendo make purchased games available for free. That is the standard for other digital titles. Sony did it up till this gen, Microsoft is still doing it. Hell, even Nintendo did it last gen with the Wii VC and charged only a minimal amount to bring available titles to the Wii U.

I think that as much as people like the subscription service, they still must acknowledge that it exists because Nintendo refused to let people bring their VC purchases forward for free or even for a small price like they did with the Wii U. No doubt they heard the rumblings of people not appreciating having to pay full price again on the 3DS and they knew it would be difficult to get away with that again.

Last edited:

KàIRóS

The only thing missing is providing the instructions booklet like how Sony does with their digital PS1 and PS2 games, I need to look online for the controls sometimes.

Zog

Banned
The only thing missing is providing the instructions booklet like how Sony does with their digital PS1 and PS2 games, I need to look online for the controls sometimes.
They are so lazy about that. They don't even provide digital manuals anymore. It's just 'fuck you, figure it out'.

Ladioss

I didn't expect Demon's Crest to be among the first titles. I have a blast with it, but I didn't remember it was that hard.

Playing A Link to the Past for the very first time. My God it’s good.

My 1992 Christmas in a nutshell, I'm jealous.

Have fun !

Last edited:

Yumi

I really hope we end up getting more third-party stuff, especially Squaresoft RPGs.

Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Trials of Mana
Secret of Evermore
Super Mario RPG
I'm interested to see what square enix does. A lot of those games sell for $10 to $20 on app stores. Don't know how that deal will go down.

Mattyp

Gold Member

You shouldn’t have to pay anything but, your title should of transferred Wii->WiiU->Switch it’s all digital all the same file takes no work to get going perfectly.

It’s screwing your customers at their best and just depressing all the Nintendo fans don’t see it for the gouging of their customers that it is.

Codes 208

See. nintendo? this is what i wanted. (Well, n64 too, but this as well.) Sharp, crisp snes titles on the go. The n3ds can barely handle doing that without sacrificing screen size ratio. And dont get me started on the blurry nes/gb/gbc shit.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Can you only play these online?
It does check if you're online every so often but you don't need to be online for the most part. I'm unsure of how often it checks though does anyone know?

All you gotta do it go online and reopen the app and it'll let you play away offline for a while.

Mozza

You shouldn’t have to pay anything but, your title should of transferred Wii->WiiU->Switch it’s all digital all the same file takes no work to get going perfectly.

It’s screwing your customers at their best and just depressing all the Nintendo fans don’t see it for the gouging of their customers that it is.

The problem with this is you are looking at it from a core Nintendo fans point of view, it's pretty obvious to most that the Nintendo Switch has attracted a much broader demographic than the Wii U did, and because of this most of it's owners would have never owned and paid for these games before, and will be totally fine with an online subscription based service, and I am pretty sure if Nintendo thought there was money to be made from a continuation of the Wii and Wii U's virtual console services they would have gone down that route.

Nintendo's other big issue is as far as retro content is concerned is there is no way to deliver it to keep the core fans happy, back in the day people complained about the individual prices of Wii virtual console titles , they then moaned when they had to pay a small fee for migrating these games to the Wii U, then when Nintendo released the mini classic systems people complained about the availability of the system, the amount of games on the system, and what games were included in the package, to be honest Nintendo are pretty much stuck between a rock and a hard place trying to keep everybody happy.

Now we now why Nintendo won't offer a proper VC on Switch btw.. Nearly Everybody in my friend list is playing SNES games. If VC was a thing, many new games, especially indies, would lose a lot of sales.

And goddamn, I couldn't help but play the entire beginning of Alttp. Will probably do the first 3 dungeons. And ... maybe more ... 🙈

Fox Mulder

szbtONa.png

Mmmm, the sexy version. None of that lilac bullshit.

#notmycontroller

Mozza

Now we now why Nintendo won't offer a proper VC on Switch btw.. Nearly Everybody in my friend list is playing SNES games. If VC was a thing, many new games, especially indies, would lose a lot of sales.

And goddamn, I couldn't help but play the entire beginning of Alttp. Will probably do the first 3 dungeons. And ... maybe more ... 🙈

Course they will, just like more of the Switch's installed base will subscribe to the online service, this big issue with online gaming threads is that a majority of posters only look at things from their own point of view, because they want a Switch Virtual console service they think every over Switch user does too, just like the value of the online service itself, because certain people feel it to be of no value they also think they speak for everybody else, a lot of people on internet gaming forums will own multiple consoles, perhaps a P.C with the latest graphics card and will see video gaming a big part of their spare time, they just can't imagine the wider Switch audience could not care less about all the technical stuff, they just buy the console because of it's cool concept, these users also will not play games all the time as they will have lots of other interests etc, but sadly we rarely get these peoples views represented on video gaming internet threads, all we get is people in bubbles talking to and sharing views with people in similar bubbles, not saying that's a massive issue but because of it we can't really find a reason objectively why certain things like consoles for instance end up so popular, even more so if we see issues or shortcomings ourselves, perfect case in point would be the NegGaf " Betting time : do you think The Switch will be a Success " thread, as this is pure comedy gold. ;)

Last edited:

Mozza

It does check if you're online every so often but you don't need to be online for the most part. I'm unsure of how often it checks though does anyone know?

All you gotta do it go online and reopen the app and it'll let you play away offline for a while.

I don't think you have to play online or anything, as I have not played any title on the NES that way, I suppose if your console is always connected to the internet like mine the online service could check once a week in the background, I honestly don't remember if I have opened the NES app every week since I started my subscription.

mcjmetroid

I don't think you have to play online or anything, as I have not played any title on the NES that way, I suppose if your console is always connected to the internet like mine the online service could check once a week in the background, I honestly don't remember if I have opened the NES app every week since I started my subscription.
It's basically once a week it will do a check to see if you're online. That seems to be it.

KàIRóS

Just finished Breath of Fire, I had played all other BoFs except this one, it was really grindy but I enjoyed it.

The bosses staying alive after depleting their gauges really caught me off guard at the start, I had a very early game over due to that, anyway I'm going for Yoshi's Island next, last time I played it was like 20 years ago.

Reactions: TLZ

Zog

Banned
I'm interested to see what square enix does. A lot of those games sell for $10 to $20 on app stores. Don't know how that deal will go down.

On the app stores they are ports, not ROM dumps.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Just finished Breath of Fire, I had played all other BoFs except this one, it was really grindy but I enjoyed it.

The bosses staying alive after depleting their gauges really caught me off guard at the start, I had a very early game over due to that, anyway I'm going for Yoshi's Island next, last time I played it was like 20 years ago.
That was fast, what level were you when you beat the game?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Anyone feel like the audio sounds a bit off? Like the pitch is slightly high or something? Also some popping with sound effects in Super Metroid...maybe it's just in my head but I've heard some of these music tracks and sound effects for 25+ years now and they sound a little weird.

Top Bottom