• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Games Headed to Nintendo Switch Online

Revenile

I highly doubt we'll see Secret of Mana and Trials of Mana in the SNES app. The reason being it would be a direct insult to people who bought the Collection of Mana for 40 freaking dollars if the biggest reason for it were to be part of a free app for Online subscribers. At least not for a couple years at least probably. I could see Starfox 2 releasing because of the limited nature of the SNES Classic Mini, so people like me who didn't get that have no way to play it beyond emulation or buying a SNES Classic from a third party at a most likely inflated price. Considering the CoM is on the Eshop and has been since the e3 direct, there is 0 reason to release at least Trials on the SNES Switch app since it's widely available already, though who knows, Nintendo might do that, but I suspect a lot of people would be rather pissed at it. Though I will say, I could see Secret maybe making it, but no way for Trials.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Does Demon Crest qualify as an RPG?

SALMORE

i reached the final island in Joe & Mac and got suck at the Boss Rush ! even with the rewind feature it's still hard

#Phonepunk#

Banned
A Link to the Past is cool but the dungeons look a bit samey so I guess things haven’t changed too drastically on that part. It’s very cool to see how they took the first TLOZ and updated it, like SMB3 this is more of a direct sequel to the first game.

I’m playing Super Metroid right now. This is just sublime. I suffered with the claustrophobic Gameboy game until this came out.

Last edited:

Thurible

I played some of these snes games online with a friend and it was a fun, yet odd experience. We handed off controls to each other every once in a while and commented on what the other was doing. It was almost like he was here playing with me, it felt alien to me.

There also wasn't much of a latency issue on the snes games, however when we tried playing nes games the lag got much worse. (River city ransom in particular was slow)

We played Kirby Dream Course and Stunt Race FX together.

Having used both, I still prefer the original SNES D-pad to the Switch Pro Controller. Maybe just the combination of the form factor and the D-pad, but it feels better for SNES (and NES) games to me. Just as a heads up, I converted one of my old original (but still good-condition) SNES pads to Switch-compatible using the 8bitdo mod kit. It was a little confusing to get the firmware updated, but once it was it worked like a dream.

mcjmetroid

Anyone feel like the audio sounds a bit off? Like the pitch is slightly high or something? Also some popping with sound effects in Super Metroid...maybe it's just in my head but I've heard some of these music tracks and sound effects for 25+ years now and they sound a little weird.

I think the audio is too low especially compared to the system menu. Very noticeable in handheld mode. I was playing Super Metroid and it's quite low in handheld.

I had this problem with the Sega Ages titles as well and said it.

Nobody seems to notice this stuff though.

mcjmetroid

I actually think Puyo Puyo is the best multiplayer game on this that's not Mario Kart.

I also wouldn't sleep on Demon'S Crest. It's like a weird MetroidVania Ghouls and Ghosts that is one of the stars of the package.

Kirby is.. eh as always.

And Super Metroid is still the best game of all time.

But I have to say though after playing these SNES games and looking up more. The megadrive with it's arcade style games was a much better system for multiplayer games overall.
Even looking at the mini it certainly has more games id like to play in multiplayer.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Heads up, Super NES controller are now up for order in UK.

Naturally the shopping experience is totally borked, given it’s managed by NOE. Some eligible users won’t get a buy button, and the credit card CVC code is impossible to fill in on Safari or Chrome, at least on Mac and iOS. I had to download fucking Opera to be able to fill in the CVC.

But got 4 controllers now die 3 Oct - 10 Oct

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
9403961e-491b-46dd-8egktv.jpeg

Got four of these beauties today. It’s a dream to play with. It really makes all the difference to use the controller the games were designed for. Seeing a wireless Super NES controller would have blown my teenage mind in 1993

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Super punch out is a good get

Love that game

however we need a DKC sometime soon. DKC 25th not getting it was a huge missed oppurtunity.

Last edited:

Jacknapes

No Donkey Kong Country is a little disappointing, and the presence of Starfox 2 sort of makes owning a SNES mini less appealing now. Can't fault the game choices mind though.

Chittagong

Gold Member
That's a fantastic lineup of games. I was just thinking the other day that Nintendo seems to have abandoned the NES and SNES releases.

Reactions: TLZ
Crystalis is a badass Zelda clone, these are solid titles. If it's gonna be a drip feed at least the games are good. Playing through these again with the instant save states and stuff has been pure bliss.

subsmoke

It's pretty cool that they're adding online multiplayer to these games instead of just doing a straight port like on the virtual console. Out of all those games though Super Mario Kart is the only one I know of that even had multiplayer.

TheContact

That's a fantastic lineup of games. I was just thinking the other day that Nintendo seems to have abandoned the NES and SNES releases.

They did mention that the releases would be much more spread out than the monthly releases they were doing before, but by no means did they abandon it.

Top Bottom