• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

Bankoiia

Trying to dump the kernel but the process doesn't seem to move past the "Waiting for your S/NES Mini.." pop-up window. I think the driver installed and the console is properly in reset/debug mode with the power on and the led off. Progress bar in the second window simply says "Waiting for device" forever.

Tried turning it off and repeating the process, but still get the same result. And yes, I'm using the bundled usb cable and tried two different usb-ports on my pc. Is there something else I can try? :/

OmegaDL50

patching?

Most translations Roms are done via an IPS patch.

IPS patching utilities exist online such as Lunar IPS for example.

In my personal experience I found it far more useful / worthwhile to patch an existing good rom of a Japanese rom (better still dump your own) and then apply the patch to that working rom, rather than hunt online for an already pre-patched version.

There is several problems you can run into if you do the latter rather than the former. For one thing you don't know the if the pre-patched rom was applied to a good dump of the game, nevermind not assurance that the actual patch applied was the latest version of the translation patch.

I think it's a good habit to apply patches manually to verifiably good dumps of a rom to make sure you get the most recent non-outdated translation patch on good working version of the rom you are applying the patch to.

I'm seein' requests for ones I've already done in this zip file.
Anyone can make those in 280X160 please?
Could you try making a quick US box for Sanrio world smash ball?

EEB1JQp.png
Download it here. https://www.mediafire.com/file/iqqbikz78i7glbl/Snes Mini Box Arts.zip

06RTj7w.png

PLPDGD3.png

ZAosz7k.png

ffOStJi.png

What makes this emulator less susceptible to artifacting compared to the NES as described by the DF Retro review?

Is this a setting somewhere?

Red Devil

Newbie question, when I get to the part of "Flash Custom Kernel" the light on the Mini turns on is that what's supposed to happen?

Guys, I've tried to add the snes custom background via FTP as per Robin's instruction, it's showing as the main screen background but it doesn't show any of the original backgrounds under setting, and doesn't show the new one I've put on.

Is it possible to keep the old backgrounds as well as adding new ones?

Robin64

Guys, I've tried to add the snes custom background via FTP as per Robin's instruction, it's showing as the main screen background but it doesn't show any of the original backgrounds under setting, and doesn't show the new one I've put on.

Is it possible to keep the old backgrounds as well as adding new ones?

You need to upload the old backgrounds into the new backgrounds folder too.

Bankoiia

Hmm, I've tried dumping the kernel a dozen times now, but I guess I'm out of luck.

Does this indicate that the driver was installed properly?

LTdztMB.jpg

Megasoum

Banned
So two questions:

1-Can we set a custom background for each games?

2-Is there a site to download some custom backgrounds right now?

Anyone can make those in 280X160 please?

Pocky_%26_Rocky_box.jpg

snes_gooftroop_front86x4r.png

I'll be testing my rip of Goof Troop after that, I noticed that it's one of the few games I actually didn't rip yet. I saw many people saying it doesn't run, so with this fresh rip straight from the cartridge, we'll know what's up. I made sure the checksum was OK and that the ROM runs on all emulators.

EDIT: Hmmm...that box art of Pocky & Rocky looks fake, the yellow dots are off, let me find another one. EDIT2: There, done. :)

I think Robin took a look at Goof Troop a while back and figured out how to fix it, something about the SNES Classic trying to run it in a different mode than it's supposed to use and changing a 15 to a 14 somewhere?

Also hell yeah Pocky & Rocky, those and Joe & Mac are going onto my SNES so fast once I hack it. I fuckin loved playing those with my dad.

Bankoiia

Yea that should be fine. Why can't you dump?

Yeah, I'm just as confused. The process just seems to idle on the instruction screen and never starts. I'll just try rebooting my system and see if it makes a difference.

Edit: Nope, didn't make a difference.

Robin64

Alright, however I seem to be stuck on the synchronizing part, whenever I click on it I get this:

And I had installed the driver before, in fact my machine sees it as "NES Classic Mini" already, it just stays there.

You're not holding reset this time are you? The SNES can just be on normally.

Red Devil

You're not holding reset this time are you? The SNES can just be on normally.

If I do that I get the same thing and when if I try to install the driver again I get a "NES Mini not found" message, otherwise it's just stuck on that.

-If I turn it on holding reset it allows to install the driver but it's still the same as that screenshot I posted.
-If I turn it on normally it cann't install the driver but it's also stuck in that part.

Tetris and Dr Mario overscan has been solved. It should work on other gamer that are going over the borders too.

Like with Goof Troop, set the ROM to not be compressed, then go into its folder in hakchi and open the .sfrom in a hex editor.

Find the following: 8D 33 21
Change the 8D to 9C

ixuhTPw.png

Save, sync game.

And unlike our pals over at Reddit, I will give credit to the person who found this.

I haven't hacked my SNES, but will something like this be incorporated to future version of the tool, or this something that will have to be done manually on a per game basis?

Seik

Banned
When I want to update to the latest version of Hakchi, do I just take the .exe and replace the one that was in my original folder or do I have to replace all the files possible to replace?

protonion

jombag

If I do that I get the same thing and when if I try to install the driver again I get a "NES Mini not found" message, otherwise it's just stuck on that.

-If I turn it on holding reset it allows to install the driver but it's still the same as that screenshot I posted.
-If I turn it on normally it cann't install the driver but it's also stuck in that part.

Turn on without reset, just wait a couple seconds until the computer recognizes the snes mini. Mine takes time until it synchronizes.

Unison

Is Retroarch better than the default mini emulator?

What are the strengths and weaknesses?

It seems like Retroarch has better audio and less jaggy looking pixels to me, but I haven't done too many detailed side by side comparisons yet.

Shifty1897

Is Retroarch better than the default mini emulator?

What are the strengths and weaknesses?

It seems like Retroarch has better audio and less jaggy looking pixels to me, but I haven't done too many detailed side by side comparisons yet.

In terms of performance, Canoe is better. In terms of compatibility, Retroarch is better.

I always try to run in Canoe first, then defer to Retroarch if there are problems.

hey guys, how do you replace/resize the little box art sprites/images on the bottom of pages? Where the little arrow is. I see some have different setups there.

Maxim726X

So, theoretically, I should be able to add this interface/romset to the NES Classic, correct? It's the same hardware?

That would be pretty awesome. Has anyone figured out a way to do that yet?

The game has an internal frame limiter, sure, but the cutscene timing and game balance are based on the original Super FX clock speed, so you are absolutely speeding up the game compared to what the designers intended.

But anyway, if you want the game to run perfectly, use the flags -no-lowlatency and -fx-boost 8. It won't slow down at all.
So, to use -boost-fx or not? You seem to say no then yes?

Top Bottom