• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

And it plays zipped roms? How many can you fit in 300MB? (approx)

This is what's on mine, currently:
https://pastebin.com/q2YAXEP0

Each with custom boxart. I made sure to leave a few megabytes of storage free for save files and whatnot.

edit: While I've got the top spot on a page, let me give y'all a little advice on box arts.
fwFGDhk.png
Note that the final image you're going to see on the UI is only 228x204 max. A lot of people are sharing "high quality" box art that has been recreated from high resolution assets, but really you're wasting space. Here's some samples of what you SHOULD be aiming for with your box arts:

SNES: (228x160)
jIxy58s.png

SFC: (114x204)
pUcDrzG.png

NES: (140x204)
eoioR5u.png

Famicom: (228x156)
MNskf35.png

GameBoy: (204x204)
YWtUwe0.png

GameBoy Color: (204x204)
5JiMhi7.png

GameBoy Advance: (204x204)
EaeaPb0.png

Atari 2600: (150x204)
KQRakq1.png

Sega Genesis: (142x204)
oTI1xEs.png

That all said, here's a collection of 150+ boxes that I curated, cleaned, corrected, and resized yesterday, ready for SNES/NES classics.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/iqqbikz78i7glbl/Snes Mini Box Arts.zip

Gromber

Neo Member
retroarch, original emulator style + "filter"

by Alex-Redfield elotrolado.net

DLsyP_MX0AE-cY6.jpg:large

put SuperNintendoEurope.cfg and SuperNintendoEurope.png files on this snes mini ubication:
/etc/libretro/.config/retroarch/overlay

settings - video

aspect ratio custom
integer scale - off
custom aspect ratio video width 877
custom aspect ratio video height 672
custom aspect ratio video X 201
custom aspect ratio video Y 24

settings - onscreen display
onscreen overlay ON
select cfg
opacity >= 0.70
scale 1.00

Configuration
Save Current configuration

files needed

So it sounds like I should not bother putting my SW games on? Nor Indiana Jones?

no i was saying SW games feel like indiana jones lite def def def get indiana jones and play it through (iirc it's a little difficult but now you can abuse that rewind so whatev) it's really varied and one of the most impressive platformers.

So you got rid of the "The"? I'd prefer not to do that but I suppose it is a workaround.

There's actually a part of the .desktop file that lets you put a title that is only used for sorting. You can put anything there to change the sort location without changing the display title.

Since I'm going to go ahead and try to replace (?) A border with the custom Chrono Trigger one, how difficult/risky is the RetroArch mod? Having not ever messed around with it I'm unfamilliar, but I would like to use it to play Windjammers.

Shifty1897

How are Treasure of the Rudras and Terranigma in Retroarch?

I've put about 10 hours into Treasure of the Rudras so far. It runs great, except for some reason the screen sometimes blurs very slightly before fixing itself. I have no idea what it's doing or why, but it's barely noticeable. I had to get close to my TV to make sure it wasn't my mind playing tricks on itself. I was going to play around with the settings but I'm lazy and I don't want to soft-brick my system.

Haven't tried Terranigma yet beyond confirming that it works.

<--- Treasure of the Rudras Avatar!

OmegaDL50

I'd say new one if you fix the cropping of the border on the right side, and remove the Japanese text (since it looks odd to me being there if it's supposed to pretend to be a US game).

Fixed it.

How is it now? Oh don't even mind the white line in the border of the image to the right, when it's shrunk down to SNES Classic size in the GUI it's not even visible.

Echoing this request, I haven't seen anyone tackle it yet...

Thanks to Robin64 and all the rest of you superstars btw

I'm not familiar with this game, but let me check this out. I can probably come up with something.

Duffk1ng

I've put about 10 hours into Treasure of the Rudras so far. It runs great, except for some reason the screen sometimes blurs very slightly before fixing itself. I have no idea what it's doing or why, but it's barely noticeable. I had to get close to my TV to make sure it wasn't my mind playing tricks on itself. I was going to play around with the settings but I'm lazy and I don't want to soft-brick my system.

Haven't tried Terranigma yet beyond confirming that it works.

<--- Treasure of the Rudras Avatar!

What did you use for Terranigma? I'm trying it on RetroArch but it just says "not compatible with your system" or something. I'm guessing it's a region lock thing, how did you get yours working?

Mega Man X2 is another case (besides using -boost-fx 3+) where the command line flag -no-lowlatency can alleviate some performance issues. The submarine in the Bubble Crab stage causes massive lag without it. The low latency mode (which is default if you don't use -no-lowlatency) is intended to reduce input lag at the cost of performance by running everything on the same thread, but I don't think there's really any perceptible difference in input lag between the two modes. Later I'll give Samurai Kirby a shot to test it.

Seik

Banned

Shifty1897

What did you use for Terranigma? I'm trying it on RetroArch but it just says "not compatible with your system" or something. I'm guessing it's a region lock thing, how did you get yours working?

You need to patch it from PAL to NTSC. That's all I did.

Reknoc

For me Terranigma just worked. Which is good because I'd have no idea what I'd do if it didn't lol.

Used the NTSC patch if that helps.

The sound seems slightly off to me though, but it's not a big deal and I might just be remembering wrong.

FSLink

Banned
Fixed it.

How is it now? Oh don't even mind the white line in the border of the image to the right, when it's shrunk down to SNES Classic size in the GUI it's not even visible.

I'm not familiar with this game, but let me check this out. I can probably come up with something.

Fantastic. I'm currently using Super Famicom box arts on my SNES mini but I'll probably switch over to US styled box arts on the US SNES now.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
What is the best Wrestling game you think? Saturday Night Slam Masters or WWF Raw
Slam Masters by a country mile. I have Raw and Royal Rumble on there for nostalgia reasons, but there really wasn't a good WWF game until the N64.

Duffk1ng

I think I have everything working as I want it now.

One final question - not quite clear on how to get the CRT filter in retroarch. I found the bilinear filter in the options, can't find anything for a CRT look?

OmegaDL50

What is the best Wrestling game you think? Saturday Night Slam Masters or WWF Raw

Burning Pro Wresting or Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To those interested in the Battle Tetris Gaiden Cover, since the game hasn't released in the US, do you guys care if I use this as a base for the box art?

Tetris-Battle-Gaiden-banner.png

I don't have much to go on since I don't know much about this game.

WildZero

Does anyonone have US-style box art for the three Japan-only Goemon games?
I’d rather not mix and match US/JP boxes if I can help it...

Mega Man X2 is another case (besides using -boost-fx 3+) where the command line flag -no-lowlatency can alleviate some performance issues. The submarine in the Bubble Crab stage causes massive lag without it. The low latency mode (which is default if you don't use -no-lowlatency) is intended to reduce input lag at the cost of performance by running everything on the same thread, but I don't think there's really any perceptible difference in input lag between the two modes. Later I'll give Samurai Kirby a shot to test it.

Are you saying that using the -boost-fx command helps MMX2? I’m making my way through MMX before playing MMX2 so I’m not sure how it performs yet.

kenta

Has no PEINS
To those interested in the Battle Tetris Gaiden Cover, since the game hasn't released in the US, do you guys care if I use this as a base for the box art?

http://www.combogamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Tetris-Battle-Gaiden-banner.png[IMG]

I don't have much to go on since I don't know much about this game.[/QUOTE]Uh that looks pretty rad to me, yes. Maybe the cropping could be adjusted a little bit (or zoomed out or something?) but that's got more character than the JP box art for sure

Can someone make a cool box art for Tetris Battle Gaiden?

I would also like a Breath of Fire II one that removes the ugly (but still charming) 90's comic box.

I took two swings at the Tetris Battle Gaiden box using art from Google Images.

Based on the original Japanese Box Art:
eKtjAtO.png

Using some fanart online:
aixn0no.png

Are you saying that using the -boost-fx command helps MMX2? I’m making my way through MMX before playing MMX2 so I’m not sure how it performs yet.

No, -no-lowlatency helps games that have slowdown related to emulator performance, which includes MMX2.

-boost-fx 3 or higher also causes peformance problems, so I was saying that -no-lowlatency also helps there.

OmegaDL50

It's done.

I even managed to find the actual company logo for Bullet Point Software / Blue Planet Software, the company the developed and published Tetris Battle Gaiden. I had to edit it from another logo online but it works.

E_A_R_T_H

Anyone had any joy running Kirby’s Avalanche natively?

Saw others reporting errors, but won’t get a chance to try myself until tomorrow.

Is there a way to change the Retroarch open command, Start+Select? iirc Link's Awakening and the Oracle games needed you to push those two buttons and A+B to save your game.

Seik

Banned
Anyone can make those in 280X160 please?

Pocky_%26_Rocky_box.jpg

snes_gooftroop_front86x4r.png

I'll be testing my rip of Goof Troop after that, I noticed that it's one of the few games I actually didn't rip yet. I saw many people saying it doesn't run, so with this fresh rip straight from the cartridge, we'll know what's up. I made sure the checksum was OK and that the ROM runs on all emulators.

EDIT: Hmmm...that box art of Pocky & Rocky looks fake, the yellow dots are off, let me find another one. EDIT2: There, done. :)

BigFred

Neo Member
BS F-Zero 2 can be played when you use the original version with bad checksum. The version with fixed checksum will not boot. Goodgbx calls it

BS F-ZERO Grand Prix 2 (J) [h1C].smc
CRC32 87E86423

Top Bottom